Page 1 of 1

led grow lighting is a joke!

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:08 pm
by bentech
everyones been talking for years
half of everyones selling em

but there is no baseline concensus!!!

no way of comparing products and certainly no comparison to HID lighting

hell fucking, the only thing this technology seems to be bring to the table is the destruction of lumens being any way of comparing lights with each other

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:22 pm
by Jesús Malverde
You'll be sorry you said that when my cold fusion-LED pyramid power grow yields 110% thc plants and makes the electricity meter run backwards!

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:25 pm
by deran
hated those leds, still do .. but here comes the but .. im sorry ;)

a friend of mine, who is in her 60s, and is a also a grower for life, has no probs with 1g/w with normal hps bulbs, she likes to experminet as well .. and ive seen her doing it with led`s .. lets say i hate a lot less now, when ive seen her results, actually makes me even more curious

back to throwing stones at me

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:15 pm
by bentech
more stories from that guy you talked to under the bridge!!!

just what i needed...

how about the lowdown on the unit shes using?

number of what spectrum emitters for starters

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:56 pm
by deran
as if i had a clue ... or a crystal ball ...

:)

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:27 pm
by bentech
snakeoil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:47 pm
by deran
tap tap tap

sure ben

you grew it all

tap tap tap ...

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:39 am
by MadMoonMan
All the research I have done but no actual experimentation leads me to believe LED still has a long way to go.

I'm going 600w HPS 's unless someone can convince me otherwise?

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:25 pm
by Intrinsic
So ben, how’s the project going?

Here are some interesting LEDs i was drooling over, LED drivers and power supplies can also be had at this site to make ‘em plugable into house current.

2100lm 6000K COB LED White Light Strip - (12~14V)
Available in 10W, 20W and 30W strips. And in 6000K and 3000K. $4 - $12.
sku_strip2.JPG
sku_strip1.JPG
http://www.dx.com/p/hzled-20w-2100lm-60 ... Bnj3mJcKyY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DIY 10W –15W / 3000K or 6000K / LED Module (DC 15~17V)
15W 900lm 3000K COB LED Warm White Light Module
sku_313166_1.JPG
sku_313166_1.JPG (13.68 KiB) Viewed 5048 times
sku_10sqr.JPG
http://www.dx.com/p/round-shaped-15w-90 ... Bnh0WJcKyY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

100W !!!9000lm 6500K White 15.78
sku_173825_1.jpg
http://www.dx.com/p/jr-100w-w-100w-9000 ... BngiWJcKyZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:30 pm
by Intrinsic
Or
I was thinking ya could by use LED bulbs that are ready to screw into a standard light socket. make a panel of say 50 of these (5 x 10) for a 350 watt panel similar to one my fluoro panels. No need to hassle with drivers or step down voltage regulators.

7W 6500K White LED $4.59. Available in 6500 K or 3000k. Alternate them for a good plant spectrum
sku_bulb.JPG
http://www.dx.com/p/xinyitong-e27-7w-60 ... BnjH2JcKyY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:35 pm
by Intrinsic

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:50 am
by bentech
to be honest
it been a trying season
havnt had a moment for this

time and money aside
one of the big hangups on this is choosing what spectrum's to include

a daunting task

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:54 am
by bentech
oh
to be well again

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:44 pm
by deran
having no clue about hash and extracts, but beeing the knows it all for leds

best thing, i havent seen a single plant grown by ben

move on kindergraden

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:22 pm
by bentech
i got a wispy basil going
but my camera doesnt work

seriously

there should be a baseline led let up
start from there

where is it?

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:46 am
by deran
giyf

hundreds of led reports out there

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:40 am
by bentech
undiferenciable!

they run such a gambit its impossible to make a choice

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:36 am
by deran
nothing is impossible - rule nr 1 :smoke:

look up the grow reports of growers you know how they perform, i dont mean to google for led sellers :facepalm:

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:53 pm
by bentech
nothings impossible

but much of the possible im excluded from

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:20 am
by Butters
search cxa3070 and marijuana for a few designs

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:54 am
by cannaboy420
now, more and more people would like to choose the LED, I am looking for some led grow light as well

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:41 pm
by Intrinsic
Check it out guys!
A ready to go DIY LED grow light. Drivers built in, Solder right into 110/220v plug and add a heat sink.
LED1.jpg
For 5$ a lamp I think I could play around with an LED grow, even if jes for fun.
Link: a lot of cool inexpensive DIY stuff here.
https://www.banggood.com/20W-30W-50W-Fu ... rehouse=CN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and also this 50w strip LED ready for AC 110/220.
https://www.banggood.com/30W50W70W-High ... rehouse=CN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and a read to go 400 watt with cooling fans and all for 60$
https://www.fasttech.com/products/2242/ ... ng-lamp-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:49 pm
by Intrinsic
Whata change this would be from the breadboard gonzo setup of 2006, built cheap with "liberated" parts, and ridiculously underpowered LEDs back then.
Gonzo.JPG

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:28 am
by Prawn Connery
LEDs are fucking beasts. I have absolutely been taken by surprise at how much light they put out and how well my plants have grown under them.

Their time has well and truly come.But forget about COBs and look into LED strips and boards if you are thinking of taking the plunge. Better light and heat distribution. Especially if you like to scrog.

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:46 am
by cannaboy420
Prawn Connery wrote:LEDs are fucking beasts. I have absolutely been taken by surprise at how much light they put out and how well my plants have grown under them.

Their time has well and truly come.But forget about COBs and look into LED strips and boards if you are thinking of taking the plunge. Better light and heat distribution. Especially if you like to scrog.
are you using the led strip grow light?

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:04 pm
by Prawn Connery
Yes.

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:41 pm
by Intrinsic
Thanks Prawn, Why, What is the problem with the COBs Lamps? Something i wondered about.

Cause i was thinking of the cob stripes in the 2nd link in my post above. they would mount easily into the my existing flouro reflectors and the metal frame would be the heat sink for 'em.
just breadboarding the cobs, visually they seem as bright per watt. don't know about spectrum.

Now you regulate the voltage(?) to control output? i hadn't thought of that, I like it . I'm into efficiency

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:10 pm
by Prawn Connery
The Samsung F Series strips I used are basically fluoro replacements, as they're almost the same dimensions: they come in 4' , 2' and 1' strips

https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sh ... -01-05.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I connect the strips in series and use a Mean Well HLG-240H-48A constant voltage driver to regulate them.

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:56 pm
by Sconeofark
I have a flashlight with a big square yellow chip in it, it has a bright and dim setting.

On both settings it makes running fans look like they are (going slow running backwards or sitting still)

Do COB's pulse?

Is there a frequency like the little lights we used to tune our turntables back in the dial phone days before CDs?

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:25 am
by Prawn Connery
They can be made to pulse, and flicker is a known issue with AC power, but DC powered LEDs (like mine) are static.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:46 am
by cannaboy420
Prawn Connery wrote:They can be made to pulse, and flicker is a known issue with AC power, but DC powered LEDs (like mine) are static.
I want to know the led strip light is the white light, right? if have any red & blue led diode on it? :confused:

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:49 am
by Prawn Connery
White light already has red and blue in it, as it's full spectrum.

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:32 am
by cannaboy420
Prawn Connery wrote:White light already has red and blue in it, as it's full spectrum.
:tup: ok, thank you

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:14 am
by cannaboy420
Prawn Connery wrote:White light already has red and blue in it, as it's full spectrum.
what brand led strip you are using?

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:59 am
by Prawn Connery
I was using Samsung F Series and H Series strips, but now I produce my own boards. They kick arse.
IMG_1241.jpg
High Lights on the left at 345W, Quantum Boards on the right at 405W. The 345W panel produced 18 ounces, or just over 1.5gpw. Haven't weighed the other one yet.