i know,
no state changed so more expensive than ac

but still,
seems like theres alot of potential

hack your swimming pool

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:08 am
by Munchy
Water Cooled Lights
...water cooled growing lights have been in use by the hydroponics industry for a number of years now...

Lights as a Pool Heater
Another option is to waste the heat from the lights to a swimming pool. For people who don't have an in-ground pool installed in their back yard, a coated steel above-ground pool is a great alternative. They are cheap, easy to install, and enjoyable. You not only can get rid of the heat from your greenhouse or solarium, but you also get a heated pool.
pool_heater.gif
pool_heater.gif (6.9 KiB) Viewed 5044 times
http://www.hydroponicsbc.com/watercooledlighting.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hack your swimming pool

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:32 pm
by bentech
ive seen adds for such

ya think cooling the lights thusly is more advantageous than cool the air move throught the system?

[stupid question; of course cooling the lights is better]

what the deal on condensation?

do these systems introduce dripping issues?

hack your swimming pool

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:43 pm
by bentech
hadnt.thought.bout.water.cooled.lights.in.a.long.time
was.thinking.of.a.heat.exchanger.for.the.fans.and.air

i.dont.think.you.could.heat.a.spa.with.it.though
mabe.a.waterbed

hack your swimming pool

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:20 am
by Munchy
i think it shouldn't be too efficient at the heating aspect,
because as the water gets warmer, it would be less efficient at cooling the lights.
but a pool would have a large enough capacity to prevent "overheating" your cooling liquid.
likewise, in an air-cooled system, the air gets heated up,
but at least then it gets exhausted, instead of recycled back in.
but still the intake air would be best if it were cool to begin with,
as opposed to the 86f room temp i'm currently using... which is why it's still 93f in the closet.
aside from a basic inline fan, i can't afford to run the a/c much or anything else to cool the intake,
but i do run the lights just at night, to avoid the heat of the day.
i dunno about leaks and condensation, one would hope not,
but offhand, it sounds like a quite valid concern.

hack your swimming pool

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:30 am
by Sun
It would pay for itself in the long run to drop a 5000btu ac in your room. If not in weight in quality. I've only been in a few rooms that run at those temps where I couldn't tell the smoke was grown in a hot humid room.

hack your swimming pool

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:26 pm
by Munchy
I tried that long time ago, and my power bill shot up to $750/mo, so I had to take it out.
Just can't afford bills like that, and it's only for personal meds, so there's no money coming back.
The airflow keeps the humidity in the closet a lot lower than the host room.
Although the lights are off right now, it's currently at 24%, while 43% in the host room.
It only gets so warm during the hottest summer months though,
usually staying about 5 degrees warmer than whatever the ambient temp is,
so the rest of the year it runs at around 75f.

hack your swimming pool

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:35 pm
by Sun
Can't you get on the care program or does your wife make to much?
I've had a 12k room that wasn't part of a house, it was on its on electricity and it wasn't much more than that.

hack your swimming pool

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:48 pm
by Munchy
I'm not familiar with the "care" program, but she probably does make too much.
Your electricity apparently costs less there, about half of my rate, according to a quick calculation.
Without any growing, my bill already gets into the 300% of baseline (bend-over) tier,
so the grow itself all costs about 34 cents/per kwh, probably about the highest rate in the country.

hack your swimming pool

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:51 pm
by bentech
some.places.have.outrageous.tier'd.pricing

seen.any.of.the.solar.ac.units?

read.about.a.single.room.window.unit.years.back.but.never.saw.it.again
now.they.have.systems.hyped.to.cool.your.home.with.one.panel.that.doesnt.need.direct.sunlight

80%electrical.savings.is.the.addvertisement.on.the.one.i.saw.was.made.in.austrialia

hack your swimming pool

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:02 pm
by Sun
My wife nets over 50k per year, but we have kids.

The CARE program provides a monthly discount on energy bills for income-qualified households and housing facilities. Qualifications are based on the number of persons living in your home and your total annual household income.To enroll in the CARE program, please complete the application below or call 1-866-743-2273.

There are also a few other programs for people who make to much for the CARE program. I have no indoor grow at my house I live at and we keep the house in the mid 70s with central air conditioning and we get bills close to $500 but on care they get dropped to under $200.

hack your swimming pool

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:58 pm
by bentech
must be nice
qualifying for assistance

just started trying myself
but need means shit
and their just laughing at me

hack your swimming pool

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:57 pm
by MadMoonMan
+-

without knowing what materials to use except that they must easily transfer heat and cold and be strong so it doesn't weaken and bend under pressure.

If you bury your cold body of water in the earth below your hot then that heat will be very slow to dissipate so that will not work.

Next to your Hot room side by side. With what wall between.

Then you have a problem with building a room capable of holding a room full of water next to your groom.

Light bulb comes on.. build the room beside your ground pool.

Water from swimming pool eventually leaks and floods floor in bedroom next door electrocuting your ass when you go in to tend to them one sleepy morning.

hack your swimming pool

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:07 pm
by MadMoonMan
Supposing you could have a lake in the mountains nearby fed by cold mountain ice springs preferably from enviromentally friendly glaciers rampaging over the countryside.

Squirrels run in front of trees falling over .. dropping excess nuts as they flee.

hack your swimming pool

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:12 pm
by MadMoonMan
Sorry, couldn't help it.. ATTEMPT AT COMEDY RELIEF!

It's ok kids you can go back to your seats.

No squirrels were actually squashed by rampaging glaciers.

Its all pretend.

Now.. Lets read a good story.

Danny Dun and His Homework Machine.

I look over next to me and I see the little girl in the 2nd grade pee dripping off her seat onto the floor.

I feel so embarressed for her and decide to say nothing. Suddenly the teacher notices.

Comes running down the aisle and jerks her angrily by the arm and drags her crying out.

hack your swimming pool

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:18 pm
by MadMoonMan
thinking about it I think it was 1st grade cause we were learning our ABC's and some fucking asshole stole one of my rubber boots. which my mom had written my name inside with lipstick.

line your boots up at the back along the radiant heaters.

She made me wear a paint dress because I got the hem of my pants wet playing in snow. Had to sit in class with no pants like a girl in a dress.

Ok bad things nuff said I guess.

I learned how to keep my legs together. Hey man even at that innocence age I knew not to give no faggots free upskirt shots.

duh. I didn't need no nurse to tell me my teacher hated boys.

bomb drill evryone goes to closet next to water heater with 1 foot box window for daylight to shine through.

At least she read us Danny Dunn And His Homework Machine.

hack your swimming pool

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:19 pm
by MadMoonMan
Oh and Danny Dunn and His Anti Gravity Paint

There was always 2 things hanging over us 1st and 2nd graders

THE PRINCIPAL HAD A SPANKING MACHINE

We had to go and practice duck and cover in tiny rooms with a tiny window. kids ain't stupid they see a tiny window being told to practice for a nuclear bomb they know that window should not be there. While kneeled and covered looking at tiny 1 foot window opening .. In reality I would run home to try and protect my mom.

fuck these asshole teachers.. If I survive I will take my punishment. and I prepared for the sound of the bomb each time we had to practice.

Thats when I began practicing running home very fast just in case I was ever needed.

hack your swimming pool

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:27 pm
by MadMoonMan
Whats this got to do with heat sink you may ask?

Vapidity. Entropy.

How can you make the connection?

If your a zillionare

surround your grow room on all sides with frozen swimming pools of water.

instead of 1 huge light use 2 x 250 depending on space

hack your swimming pool

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:37 pm
by MadMoonMan
Pulls out rock boring machine

begins drilling into sedimentary rock

hack your swimming pool

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:42 pm
by MadMoonMan
Accidentally drills into government uranium bomb nuclear waste temporary reserve pile disposal area.

NWTRPDA for short.

Consults whether we can do a hit and run and get away with it? No one knows? does John belushi ... shift to left and right scuttles away

Hey man one dead deans white horse whacks out on the floor drill out slowly and quietly as possible.

hack your swimming pool

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:20 pm
by MadMoonMan
check back for any steam leaks

applys super glue

no one was ever here.

hack your swimming pool

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:28 pm
by MadMoonMan
a small bubble gurgles

hack your swimming pool

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:35 pm
by MadMoonMan
just kidding

we have no monsters made of tar lava seeping into through the cracks in my house.

h aa haa hha

ok maybe i do. cause.. I accidentally ordered this truck to dump a load of tar on my driveway and I was posed to smear and shovel it out but i got drunk and drank and bunch of beers and passed out and now im covered in a ;pikle of tar butg with my hands and lol feet stinking ou but its solidified and i'm stuck.

hack your swimming pool

Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:58 am
by twilson
You need a rag soaked in kerosene.

I know. I once ran the kettle on slag roofing jobs.

hack your swimming pool

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:02 pm
by bentech
always wanted to learn hot to quarry and cut slate into shingles

hack your swimming pool

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:40 pm
by rSin
still on my radar...