Page 1 of 1

led grows

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:16 pm
by jesus
Anyone checked them out lately? I have seen some growers using half the usual watts and getting HPS equivalent grows and using HPS equivalent wattage and getting 2+ g/w. No shit.

I have in my possession 12 five watt LEDs in 2 different shades of red and one shade of blue. I might end up with 5 blues to 8 reds just because I can get one more on that power supply. I am still waiting on a few parts but stay tuned bitches.

led grows

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:34 pm
by jesus
Notice the single die emitter?

These are all 1000 mA LEDs also. And if anyone cares the chosen wavelengths are 660nm (deep red), 625nm (red), and 460nm (blue).

I will prolly grow out some joey weed c99 and ak-47 under this since I was right about swiss bliss just being a copy of c99 and Prawn never sent the seeds. I went ahead and ordered a better copy of c99 from joeys weed and ak-47 from him too. I also have Jack Herer from original breeder.

This is still only 60w but prepare to be amazed. It should look more like a 120w HPS.

Stay tuned bitches.

led grows

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:53 pm
by Intrinsic
Sweet, I’ll tune in.
What’s on the die besides the led, ballest? Do the link/wire together easily, is that why the star shape? I’m shy to ask the cost of those lamps. Closeout discount?

Nice fingerprints yours?

led grows

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:35 pm
by jesus
Nothing on the die but the LED. I have one DC power supply for the reds and one for the blues. Thats just how it worked out. I will have to solder wire onto the pads connect it to the LM317 driver and a resistor to regulate the current coming from the psu's. The LEDs were something like $9 each @ Mouser.com.

Ya those are my fingerprints. Do you have the technology?

led grows

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:47 pm
by Sun
I've never seen people using 5 watt lights....I have two cheap pannels that use a bunch of 1/2 watt lights and they suck ass even for veg......I have a spot light that has a 3 watt light that works about as good as the ones cops use to light you up.

led grows

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:37 pm
by jesus
I havent seen a panel that works use anything less than lots of 1w diodes. I have seen five 15w LEDs, 4 red and 1 blue. grow some decent plants. An array of those would be nice but they run about $25 each. Arrays of 100 or so 1w or 3w LEDs have to be moved up a lot to keep from bleaching the leaves. LEDs have grown up a lot. First a small array. Then a bigger, more sophisticated one.

I hope I can still solder. Going to have to practice first I guess.

led grows

Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:28 pm
by dill786
hi jesus,

long time no see..

looks cool :) cant wait for an update :)

led grows

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:59 am
by ben ttech
wonder if led light is greater penetration due to being more cogent?

led grows

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:30 am
by jesus
Dill, welcome brother.

Ben I am not sure you what you mean.

led grows

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:26 pm
by ben ttech
HID lighting has a decay rate; useful lumens are halfed as distance from the bulb doubles...
i was wonder if LED light had a lower decay rate

led grows

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:34 pm
by jesus
the inverse square for light holds true no matter where the light came from as far as i know

led grows

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:02 pm
by ben ttech
cogent light has quite differnet properties...
i was enquiring about them,
not looking for a read of your bible...

led grows

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:23 pm
by jesus
maybe you mean coherent light, like a laser, still obeys the inverse square law

and since youre all up in my thread talking your usual know nothing shit it made me think of a joke for you and about you

whats the difference between BenT and a LASER?

one of them is coherent....ahahahahah

led grows

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:41 pm
by ben ttech
scared of questions eh?
well then, i wont ask you how you know...
wouldnt do to make you pee

led grows

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:11 pm
by jesus
Seriously ben?

Is there something else youre asking?

led grows

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:14 pm
by jesus
Started soaking the Joeys Weed c99 and AK-47 seeds today.

Same two strains as my first real grow. Only those were spice bros seeds.

Jack Herer clones going already.

Waiting on one thing to start the light. Everything under CFLs for now.

led grows

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:12 am
by FAGjack
jesus wrote:Seriously ben?

Is there something else youre asking?
You wanna be his Shrink? :lol:

led grows

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:31 pm
by jesus
Bought a dimmer I am going to use on the blue string of lights probably. It's of the pulse wave modulation variety.

Mostly I am just waiting on some thermal tape to get here. Been days, hasnt even shipped. Dont make me angry tape boy.

led grows

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:12 pm
by jesus
Planted the c99 and AK47 today, Most of them had cracked open not too far over 24 hour soak.

Tape is supposed to be here between tomorrow and the 28th.

Sorry for the boring details. They're mostly for me.

led grows

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:51 am
by jesus
The thermal tape arrived yesterday. Assembly has begun. Still waiting for the dimmer. Nothing will get powered up before that gets here tho.

led grows

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:54 pm
by arb
Cool thread dude.
How far from the lights do you think you'll get effective light?
Like I know as long as the plants within 3 feet of a 1000 it's good to go regards effective lighting.

led grows

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:49 pm
by jesus
Hi Arb,

At least a foot judging by what I have seen on various forums. All my LEDs have a 90 degree viewing angle. Should be no lensing needed. Most commercial panels until recently were using LEDs with a 120 degree angle. Those have to be kept really close. But now they're starting to use the 90's.

This is only 60 watts. I will probably add to it later to get at least 100 watts. But since I am growing in a cab now I have to keep the lights somewhat close anyway. I am currently using 5 CFLs to flower.

Picture is the basic setup. Twelve 5 watt LEDs. Four blue there in the middle with red on either side. The dimmer will be used to power up each string at low power first. Then it will be permanently connected to the blue string to control stretch etc.

The other two components sitting there is a pair of LM317's. They are constant voltage regulators. One 1 ohm resistor each and they are turned into constant current regulators at 1250mA. There is one for each power supply.

Today I cut wire and tinned the ends in prep for soldering them to the LEDs. The 4 smaller ones are really tiny. Going to have to muster all my soldering skills for those. And they only have one each pad for + and - where the bigger ones have 3 of each.

Peace

led grows

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:25 pm
by WhiteHotAfterburner
jesus wrote:Hi Arb,

At least a foot judging by what I have seen on various forums. All my LEDs have a 90 degree viewing angle. Should be no lensing needed. Most commercial panels until recently were using LEDs with a 120 degree angle. Those have to be kept really close. But now they're starting to use the 90's.

This is only 60 watts. I will probably add to it later to get at least 100 watts. But since I am growing in a cab now I have to keep the lights somewhat close anyway. I am currently using 5 CFLs to flower.

Picture is the basic setup. Twelve 5 watt LEDs. Four blue there in the middle with red on either side. The dimmer will be used to power up each string at low power first. Then it will be permanently connected to the blue string to control stretch etc.

The other two components sitting there is a pair of LM317's. They are constant voltage regulators. One 1 ohm resistor each and they are turned into constant current regulators at 1250mA. There is one for each power supply.

Today I cut wire and tinned the ends in prep for soldering them to the LEDs. The 4 smaller ones are really tiny. Going to have to muster all my soldering skills for those. And they only have one each pad for + and - where the bigger ones have 3 of each.

Peace
The project looks interesting! I've been following it since you put it up.

Did you just happen to have a heat-sink laying around? Are you expecting that kind of heat that you'd need to draw it away with a heat-sink?

As for you soldering skills. You don't have a "Third Hand" soldering jig?
Third Hand' with Light.jpg
Third Hand' with Light.jpg (11.05 KiB) Viewed 2740 times
Great joke, btw :winky:

:puffpass:

:wave:,
WHAB

led grows

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:36 pm
by jesus
lol, i wish i had a hands free system.

The heatsink was from Ebay and is used. The dude had like 25 of them.

led grows

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:40 pm
by jesus
Oh ya, they put out a decent amount of heat nothing like an HID though. But the diode is so small it affects them a lot more. Remove the heat or you wont get the rated 50k hours out of them at best, at worst you will kill the LED. This will prolly have a small PC fan on top also.

led grows

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:07 pm
by WhiteHotAfterburner
jesus wrote:lol, i wish i had a hands free system.

The heatsink was from Ebay and is used. The dude had like 25 of them.
That "third hand" w/light is only like $15usd. If you don't need the light they're around $11usd.

I don't know how much you have invested in the LED's and such, but IF it's much a $15 dollar investment might be worth it? And, you can use it more than this one time :winky:

On the heat-sink. Nice reuse :tup:

I also see what you're saying about the heat generated by the LED's, too, and the need to draw it away....makes perfect sense.

Good luck, j!

WHAB

led grows

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:55 pm
by jesus
Ok so today I hooked up one LED, tested it. Undid parts of it and installed the dimmer. The first time I hooked it up I used both resistors in series to half the power it will normally be getting. Then I removed one and started with the dimmer off.

Here's a couple pics. Take note of my awesome workbench.

Oh ya, I am pretty much blind now.

This is dimmed about halfway I think. Four of these blues will be used to control stretch during the first couple weeks of flower. They will normally be turned down then up those two weeks. The reds will always be 100%.
PIC_0293.JPG

led grows

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:00 pm
by jesus
Now this is full power. 5000 blinding watts. Dance bitches! Ok so it's just 5w.

Maybe tomorrow I will take this apart and finish it.

8/10 C99 and 5/10 AK47 have sprouted so far. I think the AK were buried deeper.

:emp:

Peace
PIC_0291.JPG

led grows

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:15 am
by dill786
hi jesus..

I was wondering are they cheaper to use than HPS lighting as in electricity costs?

led grows

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:30 am
by jesus
From what I have seen, it takes about 60% of the wattage in LED to equal an HPS. So about 40% savings.

250w of high power LEDs blows 400w of HPS away. It is also easier to get over that gram per watt benchmark.

Peace

led grows

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:32 am
by jesus
The initial investment isnt cheaper though. Although it will be made up over the life of the leds with electricity and with better harvests,

led grows

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:50 am
by WhiteHotAfterburner
jesus wrote:Now this is full power. 5000 blinding watts. Dance bitches! Ok so it's just 5w.

Maybe tomorrow I will take this apart and finish it.

8/10 C99 and 5/10 AK47 have sprouted so far. I think the AK were buried deeper.

Peace
PIC_0291.JPG
Brilliant! :winky:

I see you're not shrink-tubing any of the connections. Do you plan to as the assembly becomes more complete?

WHAB

led grows

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:27 pm
by jesus
All 4 blues are now mounted, wired, and light up. burning in at full power for a while while I go babysit. when I get back I am going to do the 8 reds.

Nah no heat shrink. I'd have to desolder everything. If I have to I will just use some electrical tape. dont think there will be any problems tho. Other than it wont be the prettiest built light. It's ok though I'm no designer/engineer. I just want the things under the light to be pretty. ;)

For your viewing pleasure.
PIC_0297.JPG

led grows

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:45 pm
by arb
jesus wrote:From what I have seen, it takes about 60% of the wattage in LED to equal an HPS. So about 40% savings.

250w of high power LEDs blows 400w of HPS away. It is also easier to get over that gram per watt benchmark.

Peace
That has yet to be seen,I'll be surprised if ya don't burn the joint down.
:mrgreen:

led grows

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:49 pm
by jesus
I have seen it multiple times on diff forums. Besides mine is only 60w (for now) :D

Peace.

ps - 9/10 c99 now, 6/10 ak47

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:08 pm
by WhiteHotAfterburner
jesus wrote:All 4 blues are now mounted, wired, and light up. burning in at full power for a while while I go babysit. when I get back I am going to do the 8 reds.

Nah no heat shrink. I'd have to desolder everything. If I have to I will just use some electrical tape. dont think there will be any problems tho. Other than it wont be the prettiest built light. It's ok though I'm no designer/engineer. I just want the things under the light to be pretty. ;)

For your viewing pleasure.
PIC_0297.JPG
You wouldn't have to "desolder everything" IF shrink tube was planned into the assembly prior to the fact :winky:

Remember, you, a human I'll presume :winky:, has to work around these unprotected terminations sometimes daily during the their months of use...

I'm not raggin on ya, jesus. I'm trying to help and mean no offense...

WHAB

led grows

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:13 pm
by jesus
I know you're not. If I had wanted it I would have planned it is all. I did electronics for a living and then electrician so its not like I'm unfamiliar with heat shrink. My main objective was as cheap as possible. This ruled out the fineries like heat shrink. :D

Right on! Carry on! :D

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:23 pm
by WhiteHotAfterburner
jesus wrote:I know you're not. If I had wanted it I would have planned it is all. I did electronics for a living and then electrician so its not like I'm unfamiliar with heat shrink. My main objective was as cheap as possible. This ruled out the fineries like heat shrink. :D
Right on!

Carry on!

I'm quite interested in how the grow turns out more than I am the assemblies prior to :winky:

I wish you all the best, man! :tup:

WHAB

led grows

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:24 am
by jesus
So I had all the reds wired and mounted. Then I start thinking where will I mount this resistor and LM317? Never figured it out and went back to work. Totally forgot about them and just kept working away. All the way to wiring them up to the power supply and plugging it in.

WOW! - I thought. The reds are really fucking bright!

Sigh. Thats because there was at least 2000mA going thru them. One red dead. One running really dim.

Back to Mouser.com to order some more. Sigh.

Here's what it looks like now.
PIC_0301.JPG
I almost thought I would get it complete without doing something stupid. When theres no weed to smoke I work too fast. :mrgreen:

led grows

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:31 pm
by ben ttech
i know how that goes...

led grows

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:42 pm
by jesus
I hooked the string straight up to a 2 amp power supply with no current regulator. I forgot to use the LM317 and resistor. Two times the current theyre rated for. Pretty sure I ruined every red. The blues are 45 lumens, and the reds are supposed to be 120. If I turn the blues all the way up those 4 outshine 6 red.

led grows

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:54 pm
by ben ttech
ive played around with them a bit over the years,
amazing how bright they are...

led grows

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:58 pm
by jesus
They are amazingly bright at 2A when theyre 1A. :mutley2:

led grows

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:06 pm
by ben ttech
the old saying,
the candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long...

up that an order of magnitude for your diodes...

led grows

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:28 am
by jesus
So I guess the LED show is delayed until I order all the reds again plus a few FAR reds to see about this Emerson effect. Should put the order in today and they ship pretty fast.

led grows

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:59 pm
by ben ttech
any thoughts about a shield to keep inadvertant water off those tiny boards their mounted on???

led grows

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:51 am
by jesus
Nope.

led grows

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:16 pm
by dill786
jesus wrote:From what I have seen, it takes about 60% of the wattage in LED to equal an HPS. So about 40% savings.

Peace
thats a huge saving.... really interesting stuff all this :)

led grows

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:17 pm
by Hax
Good choice on the JW C99. Great smoke though only decent yielder outdoors in the sun. Not the most vigourous plants, factor that into your assessment. The AKs should show more vigour.

led grows

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:16 pm
by jesus
Hax wrote:Good choice on the JW C99. Great smoke though only decent yielder outdoors in the sun. Not the most vigourous plants, factor that into your assessment. The AKs should show more vigour.
You come into an LED thread talking about the sun?

lol amateur

here....the "relative power" I will have per sq ft rivals your pathetic troll attempt

;)

led grows

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:24 pm
by ben ttech
and here i though it was just me you were a total ass too...

led grows

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:27 am
by jesus
lol

led grows

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:29 am
by jesus
I'll be re-ordering today and Mouser ships pretty fast. Get this show back on the road by hopefully Tuesday or sooner.

led grows

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:58 am
by jesus
ben ttech wrote:and here i though it was just me you were a total ass too...
Ya because in all the cannabis forums there has never been a successful grow of C99 without the sun. I also didnt state that I had grown it before. I wonder now, has he?

It is odd how many lighting forums are talking about those CMH lights now isn't it though?

Even after some troll tried to convince them the spectral graph didnt mean anything just because he didnt know how to read it.

Bringing up the sun in an LED thread and inferring c99 wont be successful without it isnt very subtle Ben. How can you claim to see all this other shit and miss that?

Hax troll my thread(s) or not I dont really give a shit. Either way I know you're learning from me and not the other way around. It'll be fun either way for me. ;)

led grows

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:20 am
by jesus
besides comparing what started as an IBL and what started as a hybrid...

lol

led grows

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:12 pm
by jesus
Ok then so the order is placed. I upgraded a bit. My 4 blues are ok so what I ordered was 8 reds at 660nm, I had 4. I also got 4 red at 625nm, I had 4. And finally I got 4 far red at 725-745nm for the Emerson Effect. Google it.

So 16 red and 4 blue for a final ratio of 4:1. Also the blue will still be dimmable for finer control. Theyre all single die 5 watters for a total of 100w.

led grows

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:05 am
by ben ttech
hmmmm.....
i dont read the grow forums anymore...

i hadnt realized yalls fuckwith was so subtile...
given what its looks like whenever it spills over into the social discourse...
that is, anyplace im paying half attention to...

ok,
questions; whats would be the point of dimming any of these your lamps???

led grows

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:04 am
by Butcher Bob
I'd assume fer fine tunin overall spectrum. Dunno how much difference dimmable vs non-dimmable would make, but most of the set-ups I've seen tend to be somewut picky aboot the overall spectrum provided.

Tough part has always bin gittin past bud set in flowering...lack of penetration usually starts to show aboot then. Enjoyin the show though Jesus, someone's gotta try this shit out.:)

led grows

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:45 am
by jesus
lol thanks bob, but I am hardly a pioneer with the LEDs

Guess Mouser isnt shipping until Monday. Should have ordered a little earlier. Oh well.

led grows

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:54 am
by jesus
questions; whats would be the point of dimming any of these your lamps???
Well my ratio of red to blue at first was really low. 2:1. It's been found that you need really at least 4:1. During the first two weeks of flowering though it's been shown that we can control that 2 week stretch. Eliminate it. by turning the ratio back up. Those are the reasons for my dimmer to normalize my ratio and to control that stretch. My grow space is only 2x1x3high or something.

I guess Bob said it simplest, fine tuning the mix.

led grows

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:02 am
by jesus
Just for the record in this build I guess here are links directly to what I ordered

https://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDe ... -LZ110R205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDe ... -LZ110R305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDe ... -LZ110R105" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Led ... 56ya9rs%3d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

led grows

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:18 am
by Butcher Bob
jesus wrote:lol thanks bob, but I am hardly a pioneer with the LEDs
In a sense you are. While I've seen quite a few LED grows, this is the first time to see the particular set-up yer runnin.

led grows

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:39 pm
by jesus
Mine is just an amalgam of every other set up out there. 24v 2.5a meanwell power supply got here. Needed more power to run parallel current drivers. I was going to have it so I would just need one power supply but then I ordered more led's too. So I will probably still need 2.

led grows

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:58 pm
by jesus
http://www.semiconductor-today.com/news ... 210910.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

September 2010

Osram’s 660nm deep-red Golden DRAGON Plus and OSLON SSL LEDs provide 37% efficiency for plant growth pilot project

In cooperation with Fionia Lighting A/S in Denmark, a pilot project covering several thousand square meters of planting area in a commercial greenhouse has achieved energy savings of 40% using Golden DRAGON Plus and OSLON SSL LEDs from Osram Opto Semiconductors GmbH of Regensburg, Germany which, with efficiency of 37%, are among the most efficient light sources on the market in the deep red spectrum (660nm wavelength), it is claimed.

For plants to grow well in greenhouses they need the right temperature and also the right light. Light in the deep red spectrum plays a key role in plant growth because the absorption of chlorophyll in this spectral range is very high. Osram says that both its Golden DRAGON Plus and OSLON SSL LEDs now provide this deep-red light with particularly high efficiency, with typical power of 330mW at an operating current of 400mA. The chips are based on the firm's thin-film technology and, with a life of 100,000 hours, they offer maintenance-free operation for many years.

The Golden DRAGON Plus has a wide beam angle of 170° and can be used with good effect in reflector systems for illuminating large areas under cultivation. The OSLON SSL has a smaller footprint and a narrow beam angle of 80°, so they can be arranged close to one another. They can also be equipped with external optics. Osram says that their unique characteristics suit special applications such as 'multi-layer cultivation', in which salad plants are grown on stacked levels, and it is important for the lighting to be both compact and uniform.

The pilot project, in cooperation with Fionia Lighting and Osram distribution partner Arrow in Denmark, confirmed the energy-saving potential of LEDs in horticultural applications, says Osram. As part of the project, Fiona Lighting developed a luminaire system specifically for greenhouses that was equipped with a total of about 50,000 Golden DRAGON Plus LEDs. Over a cultivated area of several thousand square meters it was possible to reduce power consumption by 40%. “Flowers cultivated under LED lighting developed just as quickly as the control specimens under conventional lighting,” says Fionia Lighting’s Thomas Rubaek. “Also, the flowers cultivated under the LED lights had more buds, which attracted higher sales prices,” he adds. “At the same time we were able to reduce the use of chemicals such as growth regulatores.”

The colors red and blue are particularly important for plant growth. The emission curve of the new red LED is a good match for the spectral sensitivity of chlorophyll. Depending on the type of plant and the growth phase, the ratio of red and blue has to be individually adjusted between 10 and 30%. “If the emission curve of the light source is mapped against the spectral sensitivity curve of the plant (according to DIN 5031-10), the system luminous efficacy with LEDs is 60% higher than with the high-pressure sodium lamps currently used,” explains Dr Christoph Gärditz of Osram Opto’s SSL Business Development department. “The combination of deep red and blue LEDs offers impressive energy savings in this project as well.”

led grows

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:10 pm
by ben ttech
i remembering reading about a certain red colored mulch producing noticable returns to flower growers who used it...

im suprised that everything associated with flower productions hasnt transitioned to being manufactured in this color

led grows

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:32 pm
by jesus
New LEDs arrived today. Time to rebuild tomorrow and then pretty it up.

led grows

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:48 pm
by ben ttech
put each piece in an envelop with a number of it!
make a checklist...
write out the directions THEN hit the pipe...
you should be good

led grows

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:52 pm
by jesus
Dont have any weed to hit. Had a nice seedless 1/4 oz and smoked the last of that about 2 days ago. I am just going to have to slow myself down working I guess.

led grows

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:24 pm
by jesus
Mostly done mounting them now. Probably wont have power to it until tomorrow. I hooked an old one up and a new one (both red) to see if the others were actually damaged and they seemed to be the same brightness so the heatsink now has 115w of LEDs on it. And even with the 2 crippled reds 3-4" is too close.

led grows

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:41 pm
by jesus
Been working on this on and a little off for about 6 hours. As you can see all the wiring underneath is done. Four mini-constant current circuits are mounted on 1 of 2 power supplies. Might still make the hood part tonight. Just flashing I'm going to wrap around the heatsink and screw down and I will mount the blue's dimmer on that. Then all that will be left to do is hook up the power and hang it in my grow space.

PIC_0302.JPG

led grows

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:51 pm
by ben ttech
yay!!!

led grows

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:25 am
by jesus
all red
PIC_0370.JPG
blues running as low as possible
PIC_0377.JPG
everything full power
PIC_0384.JPG
beam spread from the side onto paper
PIC_0361.JPG

led grows

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:26 am
by jesus
I have already built a "hood" of sorts. It will go on tomorrow along with taking care of a few other minor details.

There are 4 that look really dim. Even dimmer in person. They look almost whitish in the pictures. Those are the infrareds at about 735nm.

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:59 am
by WhiteHotAfterburner
Looks awesome! :tup: Brilliant :toker1:

How are you going to hang it? Existing holes? Or drill more?

WHAB

led grows

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:31 am
by jesus
Going to drill some holes thru the first fins and hang it by chain. I was using existing holes before but that would get in the way of the shroud/hood now.

led grows

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:43 am
by jesus
BTW: You could make out the light footprint on the wall 7 feet away with a cfl on in the background.

led grows

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:28 am
by WhiteHotAfterburner
jesus wrote:Going to drill some holes thru the first fins and hang it by chain.
Symmetrical and evenly spaced, I hope :winky:
jesus wrote:BTW: You could make out the light footprint on the wall 7 feet away with a cfl on in the background.
I went and looked at the pictures again and then thought 'no I can't'. I can't make out the footprint on the wall 7 feet away with a cfl on in the background....I don't see it at all :roflmao:

:roflmao:

Look forward to seein it!

WHAB

led grows

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:51 am
by jesus
It was a picture I was going to take and didnt. Maybe I should have worded it differently.

led grows

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:34 pm
by jesus
It is close enough to finished to say it is. So without further adieu...the J-Light 115.

also it looks more bent up in the photo than it really is but I did it with no bending tools. And after the rest of it was built it made fitting it even harder.

tada

The hood makes it 10" tall, 8.5" wide, 6" deep and 2" of reflector hanging below the heatsink.
J-light.jpeg

led grows

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:40 pm
by arb
Love it,so how long till ya actually get a plant under them?

led grows

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:57 pm
by jesus
I dunno, 2 hours ago? Had plants under CFLs for a long time. Then I ran that light with the crippled LEDs until the new ones got here.

Theres some gay bagseed and a Jack Herer in there now.

I'll get a growlog going soon I hope.

led grows

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:00 pm
by WhiteHotAfterburner
jesus wrote:It is close enough to finished to say it is. So without further adieu...the J-Light 115.

also it looks more bent up in the photo than it really is but I did it with no bending tools. And after the rest of it was built it made fitting it even harder.

tada

The hood makes it 10" tall, 8.5" wide, 6" deep and 2" of reflector hanging below the heatsink.
J-light.jpeg
Ya even named it :p :mrgreen:

I would have expected something with a little bit more of a flare to it (I mean flare not flair :winky:) ? Isn't that going to reduce the available light being straight walled like you have it?

Otherwise, great job!

Getter growin :toker1:

WHAB

led grows

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:22 pm
by jesus
Not too much light even hits the reflector at 2". Check the picture with the paper next to it. My usable space is only 2' wide and just over a foot deep anyway. I think the lack of flare will actually help keep a nice tight light footprint in my small space.

Pics will be up of a grow soon in a new thread. You guys will see then how small it is and how the light is covering it. A cat ate 5 of my c99 seedlings and used about 3 of his own lives. I have 4 c99 seedlings left. Not even my cat dammit!

I am debating trying to flower whats in there now or just starting from scratch with the AK and 99 and doing a grow from beginning to end. The plants in there now kind of look like crap from switching lights, cat eating the leaves, P def's etc. I really havent been paying them much attention lately and theyve been in flower for about 3 weeks.

Im leaning towards a new grow, front to back.

Also keep in mind LEDs grow plants differently. They use less water and nutes and theres less heat. I have to learn how to grow with this light. Right now this light is better than I am but I was better than the 5*42w CFLs. Get me?

led grows

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:39 pm
by WhiteHotAfterburner
jesus wrote:Not too much light even hits the reflector at 2". Check the picture with the paper next to it. My usable space is only 2' wide and just over a foot deep anyway. I think the lack of flare will actually help keep a nice tight light footprint in my small space.
You're absolutely right....that picture shows it nicely, thanks.
jesus wrote:Pics will be up of a grow soon in a new thread. You guys will see then how small it is and how the light is covering it. A cat ate 5 of my c99 seedlings and used about 3 of his own lives. I have 4 c99 seedlings left. Not even my cat dammit!
When I read "8.5" wide, 6" deep" as the dimensions of your light I wondered if it might have been a typo. I guess not :winky: One side of your sheet-metal hood is larger than the light :winky:
jesus wrote:I am debating trying to flower whats in there now or just starting from scratch with the AK and 99 and doing a grow from beginning to end. The plants in there now kind of look like crap from switching lights, cat eating the leaves, P def's etc. I really havent been paying them much attention lately and theyve been in flower for about 3 weeks.

Im leaning towards a new grow, front to back.

Also keep in mind LEDs grow plants differently. They use less water and nutes and theres less heat. I have to learn how to grow with this light. Right now this light is better than I am but I was better than the 5*42w CFLs. Get me?
I got'cha. Either way you decide I'll be interested in following it...

Take care, Pres.,
WHAB

led grows

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:06 am
by A Bloke Down The Pub
:tup:
Looks like a good start.

Taking a plant through flowering with them?

led grows

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:42 am
by jesus
Yes. A few I hope. Over the lifetime of the LEDs, which happens to be 11.4 years of 24 hour days (100k hours) before they are down to 90% output, I hope to grow many plants.

I am going to get started with some j herer clones I have rooted but not potted yet really soon and I will start a grow thread when that happens in the next day or two.

led grows

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:29 pm
by roller24
Ive, been amazed by led grows, With the soon comin surge in power prices, you will be very happy you took this initiative.
good job Dude.

led grows

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:44 am
by ripper5
Good luck! Wonder if they're cool enough for year round growin? Seems they would be. Hopefully, in the future, we'll all be hooked up! :volcano:

led grows

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:17 pm
by UncleBud
Cool light jeez, so what's the total drachmas on the j-light 115?

led grows

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:48 pm
by jesus
UncleBud wrote:Cool light jeez, so what's the total drachmas on the j-light 115?
It's now a j-light 125w. Total cost with no mistakes and the current parts...hmm I'd say around $400.

led grows

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:23 pm
by ben ttech
do you play your star wars soundtrack recording while your working on it???

"D

led grows

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:57 am
by dill786
jesus wrote:Yes. A few I hope. Over the lifetime of the LEDs,which happens to be 11.4 years of 24 hour days (100k hours) before they are down to 90% output, I hope to grow many plants.

wow

amazing they last so long :toker1:

led grows

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:54 pm
by bentech
update!!!

Sup /c new Phillips LED bulb

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:39 pm
by anu
yeah it's soft white,800 lumens,but maybe can be used in conjunct with some color,10 dollars off with 30 purchase
why the hell don't we petition Phillips to make a LED of the right fukkin specs ? ?

led grows

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:35 pm
by bentech
we are.

it just we aint flying them to the bahamas to recreate while thinking about

led grows

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:34 pm
by Mos`Hamid AKzurie
LED's 'Eh?

So how did it all end?

Hot Shit off the grid in da Kitchen (algae current

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:10 pm
by anu
oh fuck me guardian mother of the planet,sorry i can't post the pic cuz i'm stoopid,you can go to my FB page(ok which one of you fukker's isn't ashamed you have a FB page,we have to move on if we are to reach people with 12 contributing member's,don't you get tired of answering officer rookie's question's hahaha......Any Way the PHILIP's Co. it was spelled with one L,don't know if that is correct has a space age looking veggie farm for the kitch no grid LED and it ain't the ugly boxy stack one,this is the George Jetson model WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE POST the PIC,you can grab it from my wall at FB,my name is Anu Bhuti Friday Harbor,talk these guy's into a booth at your local Hempfest and make money.Hempfest is all mine muthafukka,MINE,also ask me about my new all natural Aloe soft drink royal-scam,all i want is .o5 cents to maketh thee rich.

led grows

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:29 am
by BAMF
Optokinetic_nystagmus.gif
Optokinetic_nystagmus.gif (185.77 KiB) Viewed 3859 times
We started the Goodwill Mafia in February of 2012 to:
-Discover internet marketing blogs that don’t suck :tup:
-Promote lesser known blog authors that consistently produce quality content :howyoudoin:
-Collaborate with other talented bloggers and inbound marketers :bong4:

We all know how hard it is to produce quality content and there is nothing worse than putting your heart and soul into a blog post only to see it get it 0 comments, 1 facebook like and a couple of tweets :facepalm:
Sometimes producing great content is not enough. We need to build our networks to make sure our content is getting the exposure it deserves,
Instead of hanging out at the local strip club,,, :smoke:

Goodwill-Mafia.jpg

led grows

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:31 pm
by bentech
gimmie two strip club
and i could field an army

led grows

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:06 pm
by Sun
If space is an issue LEDs are OK, I have two panels with a bunch of .5 watt LEDS and they work OK for veg but the HPS I have and the 75 and 125 CPFs I have veg the plants faster....never flowered with my LEDs, would like to see what higher watt LEDs could do, I have a 3 watt LED spotlight that will blind you.

led grows

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:40 pm
by bentech
do you think
ever square inch of fan leaf
turns light energy into plan grow
as efficently as every other?

led grows

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:03 am
by BAMF
I dont agree. where are the big fans with a SCROG?

led grows

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:23 pm
by anu
did anyone go and look at what i'm talking about ? anyone one going to seattle hempfest ?

led grows

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:27 pm
by bentech
sorry.man
cant
no.facebook

led grows

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:52 pm
by anu
i've been working K

led grows

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:37 pm
by anu
ok ok i'm sorry if my lack of punctual postage has put peeps towards less than popular propaghanda,if this link don't put you on the track of ze miracle kithen appliance if will take you via trans love airways to the 10 best places to SURVIVE IN AMERIKA
http://www.off-grid.net/2012/07/12/aqua ... #more-9075" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

led grows

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:21 pm
by anu
the end all (temp) Kitchen LED minty fucwipe mfg. plant(off grid)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... =3&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

led grows

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:25 pm
by anu
this LED boasts some interesting stats. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjS56yn-qIE&feature=pyv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BIG TIME,on my way to diodiziation

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:54 am
by anu
new Bioregional Law "kinda like Denver requiring 70% of all weed sold in dispensary must be grown on premises resulting in a Real Estate boom and one million square feet of downtown space devoted to growing w-e-e-d m-a--a--an !! SO
every mu fuggin GROCERY STORE must have one of the THESE on the ROOF in LED HEAVEN !!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

led grows

Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:21 am
by ripper5
Had an old friend recently trying to talk me into doing a commercial LED grow in my unfinished basement (row home)...he had it all planned out. Talking about getting a pound per plant. Now i'm not saying it's impossible but damn! #1 I never grew for money just for smoke..#2...I've always been lucky to get 2 ounces off a plant (6 to 10 plant crop under 400/600 hps) #3 yeah right...& i'm the one left holding the bag when shit hits the fan! No thank ya!

led grows

Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:37 am
by deran
its the year 2023

sombody wrote at planetnet that leds will be the future of indoor growing

led grows

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:11 pm
by Jesús Malverde
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/25/busin ... .html?_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Didn't think I'd ever read an article in the New York Times about the pros and cons of LED vs. HPS for cannabis growing when this thread began a few years ago. The article itself honestly isn't very cannaculture literate but just the fact that it's there is mindblowing.

led grows

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:50 am
by deran
who would have thought ....

1 thing that tells me not to invest in LEDs is moors law:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which is actually about transistors and space, but the same applies to LED chips as well, tho there arent transistors on board, its the space that gets double filled and the technology advances ahead putting out more n more lumens per watt , or to be scientific correct, puts out more n more photons (flux) , meanwhile LEDs have overtaken all HID lamps when its about photon flux

cool ay ? no, not yet ....

30 years ago you bought a sodium lamp with a ballast and you knew that there wont be any surprises within the lighting industry, that 30 year old system is today still competitive with anything else producing light, ok we have the double ended models, which is an improvement but nothing new, like with cars, a new model slightly better optics, some changes here n there, a bit more modern ... but the same thing that it was 100 years ago, 4 wheels, petrol, ingnition, and thats it ... today we have hybrid cars and , drumroll please : electrical cars ... that would be the analogy to LEDs, something completley new ... but thats also the problem
you buy today the most modern electrical car, for example a tesla, within 5 years, the car will be old , the tech inside of it, there will be better batteries, better electro motors, better software etc ... ok, to bring it into a reasonable timeframe/line ... improvements/news arent that fast within the automobile industrie , compared to computers or LEDs, i would say whats 5 years in computer years, is about 25 years in car-years, so to say 25 years ago, cars were only half as good as today ...
hope you get all my drift ...

now back to real hardware,
no matter if already readily built off the shelf from the store, or cheaper self soldered as a DIY project, no matter what you choose ... within 5 years your LED panel will be old, older than old ... no matter if the meantime between failurs (mtbf) climbs up to 100000 hours ... its like buying a brandnew ford model t (hypothetically via a time maschine) for the purpose of a new family car .... sure the model t is still today very sought after .. but not for actual driving, just for collecting as a treasure, or investing as a money reproduction model

sure your panel will work great within 5 years, it wont be old in the means of used, but in the means of technology

same with computers: either the LEDs will become so cheap, that the panel which costs you now 1000 bucks, will cost only 100 , or the panels within 5 years will still cost 1000 bucks, but their technology will be 2,3,4 times better than todays

for me this model of buying things lacks any real alternatives, i know if i stick up to a brandnew gavita double ended system, i dont need to be afraid of concurrency from other technologies (LEDs) within the next 5 years, as its been decades before ... also there will be improvement at bulbs n gases n other stuff
with LEDs - you buy it today and its already doomed to be old ... 1W chips (diodes) , 3W, 5W, 10W, chip on board (array) ...there is no end to it, and i feel screwed over, who is gonna buy your used panel within 5 years, either too expansive or too lame/old and you threw literally money through the open window
a negative money model right from the start ...

sure, there are freaks out there who dont belong into a normal consumer corner, and they dont care about money or investment or anything else, as you might heard already one nice definition of a hobby: paying most money to the least reasonable things

atm the cheapest but also the most reasonabl panels , cost about 1,40 € per watt
(bonsaihero hanspanel http://bonsaihero.com/index.php/led-growlight-180-watt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
you need at least 2 of those for 3x3 /4x4 space (tent), thats 500 euros for light ... i can get a new 600W HPS system for 50 € (ballast+bulb+reflector) .. scary ... but you are saving energy, arent you ? ... you are saving that much energy, that you have to run the panel for 3,5 years in order to equal out power costs ... so far so good ... in those 3,5 years lots will change ... and this was just a cheap panel ... most of you know, that panels dont cost less than 1000 bucks (for a space 3x3 /4x4) you can do the math when its payed off ... lol ....

its diabolic and mean - this whole LED story, you have to be up to date, to read fucking charts, follow newest tech improvements and to be handy with a soldering iron ... if you wanna play along ....

still up to this day, there isnt a single commercial LED operation in holland with legal crops, the dutch are still using HPS for their cucumbers and tomatoes and and and, tho on paper there are better things ... and its not about money when we talk about legal commercial operations, so what is it thats keeping off the dutch from LEDs?

any ideas ?

led grows

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:06 pm
by Jesús Malverde
The day the big Dutch and Canadian greenhouse tomato farmers move to LEDs en masse will be the day the cannabis grower should first consider investing in that tech. And not a day sooner. Because *they* won't be fooled by the bullshit and hype, unlike home cannabis growers who have a decades-long track record of believing the most outrageous bs imaginable.

led grows

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:16 pm
by MadMoonMan
Wowee Jesus truly spoke.

Of course not the real Jesus because the real Jesus

was represented by light... "I am the Light of the world"

uh ok bad example.
um

The real Jesus made a prediction.

um

ok the real Jesus rose from the dead so gotcha there.

This post is 2011. I remember Led primitive light and this post. No one could imagine getting enough power to flower plants with an LED?

They could barely get enough light on the old computers to see the LED displays... Late to color BTW.

They've come a long way baby to get where they got to today.

OK and now the real question everyone is thinking secretely. Must be asked.

If he wasn't smoking marijuana would he have gotten this bright idea?

Or ended up as an anal proctologist in Peoria.

led grows

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:31 pm
by bentech
always wished the late jesus would have given us the rundown on his diy panels

led grows

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:38 pm
by MadMoonMan
You never know about anything do ya bud? Years ago like finding your own time capsules.

led grows

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:43 pm
by MadMoonMan
continuing to vacuumn air from mason jars

at minimum 20 but .... switches hands... pumps .... 21 uhh.... 2...22

pulls plug.

only EXPLETIVE DELETED more to go...

led grows

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:55 pm
by bentech
just noticed deran,
your picturing one of those trick containers with all the holes