Page 1 of 1

Closet 250 watt Chronic in Hempy Tub

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:35 am
by JapanFreak
Day 4 of flower

These are 6 Serious Seeds Chronic clones in a single 60 liter tub filled with about 40 liters of recycled and 'sterilized' perlite. I use GH 3-part and follow the direction on the back the bottles with epsome salt. For a foliar spray during veg and the first few weeks of flower I dilute the nutrient mix for that stage down to 1/3 strength and add a touch of dish detergent for a wetting agent and spray almost every day. I also use a Japanese product called HB-101 which is made from tree saps and helps fight disease.

The tub will hold about 10 liters of water in the bottom and I feed about once a week but really go by the look of the plants, sometimes more sometimes less.

I usually veg about 14 days, take the lower 4 nodes for clones and flip. I harvest at 55 days and I'm averaging about 160 grams with a 250 watt hps light. I would really like to get the number up to 180 and that's my goal. Some silica is coming my way next week so hopefully that will give me a little boost.

I also wouldn't mind getting a new bulb for this light since the one I'm using is probably over 2 years old :whistle:

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:40 am
by Dunza Ranks
Lookin very tidy...... :tup:

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:13 am
by smokebreaks
That's looking very nice JF.. Lots of vigorous new growth, can't ask for much better... 2 Years on that bulb huh? What manufacturer are you using?

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:22 am
by JapanFreak
It's a hortilux that had gone through many cycles and I was only keeping it as a spare, when the agro-sun blew I started using it again. That means it's probably closer to 3 year's use. Every time I order bulbs I look for those threads that compare agro-sun and hortilux and than I forget which is the more popular. I could swear that the plant formation is better with the hortilux but who knows.

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:27 pm
by nobodyknew
What's the chronic like as a smoke......?

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:09 am
by JapanFreak
Well I certainly wouldn't brag about it. The smoke is fine but it's lacking in flavor and the ceiling is pretty low for heavy smokers. I got it for my girl who smoked it the first time she went to the States and has a soft spot for it. Easy to grow, easy to clone, low smell, average producer but people who know would just call it the mids. The people who smoke my shit rave about it so I guess for normal stoners it's good, but I can't relate to them. I tried to smoke one friend out and he actually refused more hits like after a 1/4 gram.

That being said when I run dry for a week or two and the next harvest comes I think it's great for a few weeks.

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:44 am
by JapanFreak
Day 7 Flower
I feed them today with about 10 liters of the GH bloom formula and about 3 liters of run-off. Pretty easy to see the growth over the weekend. Normally I don't do any trimming after I flip but I think I'm going to remove some fan leaves around the 3rd week or it will be a jungle in there.

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:21 am
by JapanFreak

Cut my other closet today. I've noticed that my plants seem to finish a few days earlier in hempy compared to DWC. I wonder if other people have the same experience.

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:37 pm
by JapanFreak
Day 14 flower
These have really grown this past week and I'm a little worried about light penetration and headroom at this point. I person did an interesting thread over at TCC where he more or less removed all the fan leaves early flower to stop them from growing. I've never trimmed during flowering but I think I'll have to take a look at the method because are getting too big for the 250.

I used my silica for the first time. Since I can't get a ppm reading from it I just added a teaspoon per 15 liters and will adjust it from here.

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:10 pm
by JapanFreak
Day 21 flower 250 watts
These plants are already taller than my last harvest at chop. I haven't had plants this big with the 250 light so I'm hoping that it just means they are healthy and not stretching too much. I started using silica and putting more effort into my cloning process. I have about another good foot of headroom for the light and they only have about 7 more days of stretch so I think I'm safe, just hope I don't end up with popcorn buds on the bottom.

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:16 pm
by benjammin
how high are they? difficult to tell in the picture. 21 days in i would still clip off any budsites that are more than a foot lower than the highest part of the plants.

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:43 pm
by JapanFreak
about 90~100 cm with about with about 2 feet of bud spots. I'm not going to trim the bud sites but I did take a lot of fans.

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:39 pm
by JapanFreak
I never took fans before but after seeing a thread where it was done had to try it. The thread was pretty impressive. I don't like changing more than one thing in my garden at a time though, this round I cut off a lot of fans so I just want to see how that is going to affect the plants.

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm
by benjammin
if nobody can give you a good answer as to why it works, but everybody can tell you why it doesnt, does that not tell you anything already?

you can get big yields doing a lot of really stupid, useless shit. you wouldnt grow a plant to a certain size only to cut off roots for flowering, why would you do the same with leaves? i can think of two easy explanations for why someone appeared to yield well cutting off a lot of leaves:

1) they have extremely vigorous genetics that will yield well in all circumstances
2) the thread was misleading

showing 'good yield' with a certain technique without any way to verify the yield itself, let alone the yield compared to the same clone without using that technique.

im all for trying new things, but i wouldnt shoot myself in the foot just to find out how it feels.

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:51 pm
by Butcher Bob
JapanFreak wrote:You know that's the same thing I thought till I saw those grows at TCC. Now I've never done this before because I had always read it was a huge no no and that's what everybody else said. I mean have you ever done it?
Effectively......yes. But it wuzn't on purpose. I tend to neglect watering, so I've had occasion to wilt plants so bad the shade leaves die off...results are not good. Even had seedlings where only the leaf on one side died off, so it could be compared directly to the other side...big difference. It's like if you thought people were too tall, so ya remove all the grocery stores...then ya won't even notice height, cuz yer gonna be wundrun where all yer fat people went. :mrgreen:

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:05 am
by JapanFreak
Normally I don't do any trimming after I start flower so this is new to me.

The guy at TCC didn't do a side by side but he was pulling in major weight and he claims he didn't used to and got better results. First time I saw the way he trimmed I thought he was fucking nuts till I saw how they filled out. Some others have tried and also got pretty good results. His thread was also filled with people telling him why cutting them off was wrong. Normally I wouldn't do it but this round they grew so much I thought what the hell.

At this point in time they look fine and doing well, even the small bud sites on the bottom.

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:33 am
by benjammin
Did anybody suggest tucking the fans under instead of trimming? :roflmao:
:lol: that would be hilarious.

personally i dont think im out of line at all in this thread. im desperately trying not to pull an uncle ben, because that's the temptation. the last thing ill say on the subject is this:

last spring i took two plants from clone to a guy's rural property. they were both already small bush-sized by may, lots of foliage, nice green colour. i knew he had clipped leaves so i told him exactly why he shouldnt do that. the next time i saw those plants they were ready to be harvested. they had been in nearly full sun for the single best growing season in my memory. the yield was literally about 10% of what i'd have hoped for if i did it myself with no difference other than not removing fan leaves. he'd clipped just about every fan leaf on the damn plants. what should have been major colas looked like the stunted buds at the bottom of a big dense plant.

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:43 pm
by nobodyknew
When I first started growing - back in the O.G days - I used to trim off the big fan leaves and what I found was that within a week - at most two - the fans left on the bud-sites had more or less taken the place of the ones I cut and you'd be hard pressed to tell they had even been trimmed.....
That was my experience...... :)
I don't know whether that improved yield cos I didn't do a side by side comparo but I was always happy with the result.....
Another thing I did - at the behest of my growshop ""guru"" was I trimmed the roots......
I went in complaining that the roots were going everywhere (ebb/flow table - 6'' net pots - 1K lamp) and his reply was - and I'll quote it just as he said it to me ""A plant will HAPPILY make roots all day long and not necessarily worry about what's happening topside - so trim the roots around the net pot""
That's what he said......
So anyway - I went home and trimmed all the roots back to the circumference of the net pots and Fuck Me - the topside growth literally exploded - the plants grew right in front of my eyes almost........
According to all the wisdom that ain't supposed to happen is it.....?
I no longer trim the roots mainly because I found the pots became too unstable and the plants tended to fall over if you breathed out too hard - so the root mass in the table keeps everything stable - lol
I'm tempted now as I write this to go and trim roots on a couple of plants - but I fear ennui will overtake me before I get to the grow room......... :)
Yáll have a nice day now yáll......... :)

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:47 pm
by mindzai
budshots talk, bullshit walks.

if anyone wants to know about fan leaves either do a side-by-side or stfu and buy a botany book, cos none of us have any genuine credentials to pontificate from.

meth?? unless jf is putting it in his res i don't see how it's relevant..

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:14 pm
by nobodyknew
benjammin wrote:care to point out where i was wrong?

this implies that you think we have receptors in our brain specifically made for cannabis. thats some serious hippy bullshit.
A while back I read in the British Lancet mag that 27 cannabinoid specific receptors had been identified in the human brain
Puts a whole new slant on the ""I give you all the seeded plants etc"" shtick and apparently we may be hardwired to specifically enjoy cannabis.. :)
I'll try and dig up the article but I'm not very good at stuff like that....

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:56 am
by JapanFreak
nobodyknew wrote:When I first started growing - back in the O.G days - I used to trim off the big fan leaves and what I found was that within a week - at most two - the fans left on the bud-sites had more or less taken the place of the ones I cut and you'd be hard pressed to tell they had even been trimmed.....
That's what I noticed as well. The thread I was following at TCC the guy actually continued to trim all the fans off during a lot of the grow. I'm not ready to try that yet but I think I'm happy with the way things are going so far this grow.
hempy.JPG
I fed them the other day and things look good. These are the tallest plants I've had in hempy with the 250 watt light. I think there are 3 things that account for that.
1) Better clones
2) 18/6 veg cycle compared to 24
3) Some silicon

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:48 pm
by benjammin
we have nicotine receptors in our brains, i guess cigarettes are some sort of gift from god that we're meant to smoke.

your plants look sweet by the way, but i dont really see where you removed leaves.

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:06 pm
by JapanFreak
You should have seen when I cut them, I took about 80% of the fans off. I was surprised how soon they came back.

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:17 pm
by nobodyknew
Yep - one week - maybe two......
I don't cut them anymore mainly cos I can't be bothered and I like to make water hash from the leaves and it's just handier to keep them where they are - on the plant till harvest.......
Saves clogging up my freezer with leaf..... :)

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:30 pm
by JapanFreak
That would because other fans grew to take their places more or less. When I cut I did cut about 80% of the fan leafs at that time though. I left some on the bottom because I figured they wouldn't be blocking any light anyway.

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:42 pm
by benjammin
i just dont understand this idea of removing leaves because they're blocking the light. that is their evolutionary function. it's like removing solar panels because they're blocking the light. i doublt dont understand removing fan leaves only to have them grow back in. youo removed all that stored energy and highly efficient photsyntheszing surface and then the plant spent all that energy replacing them anyway? but this is still making sense to you?

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:01 pm
by JapanFreak
benjammin wrote:and you are repeating an experiment done by somebody else because it was supposedly successful, but without any benchmark or real verification.
Well the guy's been doing it for years with success and pulls well over 1.0 gpw. The grower he taught it to also got great results. So I'm trying it in baby steps to see what happens. But that's just me, I like to try things for myself instead of just accepting the same bullshit everybody repeats. I'm sure most of it is true, but you know a lot isn't. I mean shit, according to most people my plants should look like shit by now but they are looking pretty good.

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:09 pm
by JapanFreak
I'll have to update the 250 closet grow later, but I just flipped the other closet. 13 days from cloner to flower. Hempy is as quick as any hydro I've used in the past.
DSC00001.JPG

Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:22 am
by JapanFreak
Day 39 flower 250 watts
DSC00001.JPG
The plants are looking fine and are starting to fatten up. I think I could have given them a little more TLC over these past few weeks but I'm kind of sick of gardening at the moment, I think it's this summer heat. This week I have to pick up a room thermometer for the closets. The ones I had broke a few years back and I never bothered to buy new ones. Damned if I knew how hot it gets in there. :p

Should probably raise that light come to think of it. :roflmao:

Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:57 am
by mindzai
why bother getting a thermometer if you can't change the temps?? i remember spending ages planning out an expensive air-cooled hood system for my cab and after plugging it together the only thing it had lowered was my bank balance.

Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:36 am
by JapanFreak
The closets always run hotter than the room but I have an air-conditioner in there so I can change it. The set-up is actually far from ideal. I can't vent directly out so I have to vent into the main room and keep the the air-exchanger on the air-conditioner running all the time. Hopefully in the fall I'll be moving and will get a room that I can vent out of.

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:55 pm
by JapanFreak
Here's how the other closet is looking 9 days into flower
DSC00002.JPG

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:33 am
by JapanFreak
Day 47 flower 250 watts

Oh man what a fucking mess in there. Someday I'm going to have to start tying shit up. These things are almost 60% taller than the shortest ones I've grown. Not used to this. Would prefer shorter ones but what the fuck, it's all good. I'll probably chop these in the next few days. Looks like I'll get what I need out here no prob. Some nice colas in there and it will all cut down pretty nice.

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:37 am
by JapanFreak
Harvest
What a fucking mess that was to cut. The plants were so tall that they started falling over from weight and got tangled a little. Anyway I got over a 100 easily and am a little excited about the dried weight.

The big colas in the front there are about the the length of a forearm and fist or as BostonBud likes to put it, 15 inch buds.

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:55 am
by JapanFreak
That is perhaps the dumbest light on the fucking planet. The ballast is built into the back half of it. Weighs like 10 kilos. I mean what kind of a fucking retard says, "Hey I have a good idea, let's put a heavy ballast on a chain and add heat to the grow area." Seriously, I want to know in what situation did they think that would ever be a good idea :shock: Only fucking lights we could get here in Japan years ago. We can get imported systems these days but the hertz is wrong. Japan is split down the middle with 50 hertz in the west and 60 hertz in the east. Honestly I don't even know if it would effect them, I think that has more to do with things that have timing issues and not simple electronics but those are the chooses we have here. Ballast in the light or wrong hertz.

Here it is, the hydrofarm sunburst 250 watt. I have a 400 watt as well
http://www.homeharvest.com/SunburstCompactSodium.htm

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:56 pm
by JapanFreak
Turned out to be 135 grams of dried manicured bud. Less than stellar but enough to met my needs. Have to get a new bulb next round and see if I can't squeeze another oz out of the closet.

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:06 am
by nobodyknew
Kinda makes sense.......
You run that past Uncle Ben by any chance.......?

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:28 pm
by JapanFreak
Like I said, saw some people doing it at TCC and it worked for them. No need to bring UB up.

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:06 am
by Triconomics
All politics aside............I would recommend not cutting any. I am not going to go into detail.

But the short version is that cells use the leaves as a storage area for nutrients acquired from the soil. If it was just about light and "solar panels" I would say go edward scissor hands on em because new ones will grow and take up that light.

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:38 am
by JapanFreak
Triconomics wrote:Well considering I doubt your smart enough to consider that the same applies to hydroponics as does soil containers to a certain degree............thinking is involved I bet that is what threw you off......
Considering that I won't consider? I mean come on man, just read that fucking nonsense you just wrote. You get the John Locke award for who's head is furthest up their ass. :tup:
Triconomics wrote: the same applies to hydroponics as does soil containers to a certain degree .
OK dip-shit, enlighten me on this pruning difference you're talking about, to a certain degree. :roflmao:

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:21 pm
by polish_pothead
Looks all good, good job. My babies are on day 3 of flowering, will post update pics later, all looking sly and sexy.
:tup:

Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:25 am
by MrHydroIsBetter
yeah where is uncle b and mr squiddy ... nice post . makes me want to fire up my four one thousands lol seriously ........

Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:52 pm
by BAMF
bump

Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:05 am
by anu
let me get this straight,when you remove the fanleaf,the fanleaf gets replaced almost immediately ??
but wouldn't all that photosynthesis energy been better put to use forming a B U D ??? what the fuck
have you people been smoking

Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:32 pm
by Sun
Defoliageing(sp) has it's time and place in growing....I would use it on upper growth in flower only to let air threw, not light....I try not to do any form of pruning after about week two of flower and even then 90% of my pruning is taking off sucker growth from down below