germinating sugar cane..........

The perfect place to talk fruits and veggies.
dill
Stackin' Karma Yo
Stackin' Karma Yo
Custom Title: skaramoosh

Post by dill »

salaam..

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried germinating sugar cane.. i read somewhere that you just cut of one of the rings of the sugar cane and germinate it in dirt... i have never tried it, simply because i never knew how to, besides they don't grow in uk as far as i know.... so i was thinking some of the American members might have had a go at it. so please let us know if you have, pics would be nice too :)

Dill

ben ttech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: godisnotwhite.com
Has bestowed Karma : 385 times
Received Karma : 240 times

Post by ben ttech »

Propagation

Stem cuttings or sections of the stalks called "setts" or seed pieces propagate sugarcane. Each sett contains one or more buds. The buds, located in the root band of the node, are embryonic shoots consisting of a miniature stalk with small leaves.

The outer small leaves are in the form of scales. The outermost bud scale has the form of
a hood. Normally, one bud is present on each node and they alternate between one side of the stalk to the other.

Variations in size, shape and ther characteristics of the bud provide a means of distinguishing between varieties. Each sett also contains a circle of small dots above the node, which are the root primordia. Each primordium exhibits a dark center, which is a root cap, and a light colored "halo".

The bud sprouts under favourable conditions and gives rise to a primary stalk, whereas from the primordial the sett roots originate.

During nearly one month after germination, that is, sprouting of the buds, the young plant lives at the expense of the reserves present in the seed piece, and partially using water and nutrients provided for by the first roots.

http://www.sugarcanecrops.com/growth_mo ... opagation/
Attachments
sugarcane.jpg
"disaster is the mother of necessity" rSin

dill
Stackin' Karma Yo
Stackin' Karma Yo
Custom Title: skaramoosh

Post by dill »

ahh cool

thanks bro :)

anu
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Has bestowed Karma : 4 times
Received Karma : 16 times

Post by anu »

cool mon ! glad you didn't get burned out ! thanks for sproutin cane ! i just wanna say " Pussy Willow cuts are the quickest sprout of any kind i've ever seen"except some rare pot seeds that may have sprouted overnite" you need privacy or need to get something going quick get a branch this spring when it's got pussies on and just cut to bout 8 in. pieces and stick in water,you don't even need to bubble." i did change water often but they'll sprout so quickit'll blow your mind and the salycilic aspirin acid is healing to pot plants with problems
The notion of collective ownership implies a democratic approach to the utilization of resources - economic democracy.