are any of our thoughts conscious themselves?

Stoner ramblings. Totally made up fictional shit that nobody means at all but is exercising their imaginations.
Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 423 times
Received Karma : 521 times

Post by Prawn Connery »

ben ttech wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:27 am
everythings determined,
but WE are given a free enough hand in it that it would seem arguable...
We only think we have a free will.

Here is a question: does Chat GPT have a free hand to give any answer to any question? And yet it does. And often its answers are better than those given by most humans who think they have free will. But it can only express itself according to a set of established rules. Much like us.

You can only express yourself based on your genetics and what you have learned as a product of your environment. You cannot express yourself outside your own experience. If you truly had free will, you would be able to express things beyond anything you can imagine.

You are not free: you are bound by experience. You can't even determine your own experience, because that would mean you could determine when and how and to whom you were born. And that's just the start.
Licensed to Krill

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by Prawn Connery »

roller24 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:20 am
If all crocodiles hunt this way, then it is instinct.
if one of those crocodiles contrive a more efficient method, this would be intelligence.
I suspect your insistence upon this absurd assumption is to bolster your atheism.
I'm not an atheist, roller. I'm an agnostic who leans towards determinism.

Perhaps you would like to define what "instinct" is. Does it mean an action with no thought or reasoning applied?

If thought or reason is applied, then it is a wilful action, no?

Here is a video. If this is instinct, then why did the crocodile let go of the man halfway through its attack and grab the dog? Did it not "reason" that the dog was easier prey? What "instinct" determined the decision-making process that allowed the crocodile to assesses one potential prey target over another mid-way during an attack?

Licensed to Krill

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by Prawn Connery »

dill786 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:52 am
ben ttech wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:27 am
everythings determined,
but WE are given a free enough hand in it that it would seem arguable...
Muslims believe that Human will is absolutely free from any kind of Compulsion but it is not free from the Laws of Causation.
I don't know enough about Islam to comment beyond asking the question: if human will is free of compulsion, why are there so many (religious) laws to prevent humans acting on it? Perhaps I'm over-simplifying. Or perhaps it is because humans themselves are left to interpret religion based on their own imperfect form.

Also, where does "Causation" begin and end? Does cause not lead to effect that leads to cause that leads to effect ad infinitum? What was the very first cause that led to the very first effect? What you describe is, in fact, a form of determinism, isn't it?

This is why I can't subscribe to any religion, because it relies on humans to define it.
Licensed to Krill

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by Prawn Connery »

roller24 wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:43 pm
The righteous man will strive to good by allowing the intellect of reason prevail, but rarely without primary thoughts of instinctual desires.
So if a mother protects a child out of instinct – against all reason – is that not also "righteous"?

You are arguing from your own perspective, roller. I'm not saying that's a bad (or good) thing, but it still clearly demonstrates my argument that "good"and "evil" and "sin" and "righteousness" are just a matter of perspective. Those words have nothing to do with "reason".

Reason is what we use to justify our actions – often when someone else deems those actions evil.

:angel:
Licensed to Krill

MadMoonMan
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: nOT-a-BoT
Has bestowed Karma : 15 times
Received Karma : 231 times

Post by MadMoonMan »

We cannot know HIS purpose but we are one of an infinite creations. Demonstrating HIS holiness and forgiving love. He created us with free spirit. As also the angels. So Lucifer rebeled. How could a created thing think they could be equal to the potter?

We are but clay. Who are we to question.

HE says search HIM and find Wisdom and love.

Opens a can of worms.

In a search for truth.
Just because I can't spell misanthrope doesn't mean I'm completely stupid.

MadMoonMan
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Post by MadMoonMan »

What did GOD do before HE created our current Universe? I mean... what has GOD been doing for eternity Past? Of course we know HE created the angels but the Bible hints of multitudes of diverse beings. Not just angels but GODs' counsel.

So GOD has been creating and infinite number of creations. HE is GOD and lives in infinity. HE looks down a timeline and and sees all. I won't get into the dimensional folding . I think GOD created those dimensions and they are all part of space/time.

HE exists in eternity.
When HE spoke HIS word and created an event and hydrogen and helium appeared.

And GOD showed HIS power to create a huge universe from just 2 tiny elemets.......

MadMoonMan
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Post by MadMoonMan »

Einstein relativity is not a theory its proven true...... 2 clocks in relation to gravity. Warped space. HAVE DIFFERENT TIMES...

I went back in time. Yes, I achieved the impossible but unfortunately, I accidentally shot my great grandfathers dick off. Seeriouly it was an accident I was cleaning my gun. They hung me..... said I WANTED THE MONEY HE BURIED UNDER THE HOUSE.... I swore I dint no0 no shit about the $10,183 .... honest.. i'm not liing pleeeze don't hang me!!!! Ok Ok I confewsss..

MadMoonMan
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Post by MadMoonMan »

Since I found a way to go back in time and change things I tried. it.. duh... wudn't u?i doh?
Ok it didn't work like we would think it would. Ok I'm just recording this for history just in case It gets lost.. I lost a chain of history in that last trying to fix history. ok I''m going to try one more time..mark what is today? 6/14/20

MadMoonMan
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Post by MadMoonMan »

Per my experiments. Don't try it. There's an ugly world
Dancing across the waters.

MadMoonMan
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Post by MadMoonMan »

How deep do you want to go?