Page 1 of 1

Home renovation

Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 9:19 am
by dill786
HI,

Here in the UK we usually call it DIY ( do it yourself) I have a few small projects in and around the house which I have been neglecting for a while, its early summer and I m working from home for the next 6 months, I thought ill take this opportunity to try to do what I m able to do myself and learn something new and get some experience in DIY, plus I know few of you round here are good with your hands so feel free to chime in at any time and it would be great if you could share your experiences whether its painting or putting up some new decking or refurbishing something or other useful tips and tricks would be appreciated. pics would be great!!!

so this my bay window at the front of the house, the white and the black strip that goes across were looking tired and peeling off, forgot to take the pics of it before though...

i sandpapered the wood using p60 grit, and then cleaned it with soapy water and filled in the cracks with some external wood filler, waited a day and then sandpapered the wood filler down so it was flush with the wood as best as i could. I painted the white strip first, it took 3 coats of white external satin paint for the wood, looks a lot better than before I can tell you that for sure.. i did the same with the black strip that was more weather-worn and had cracks and holes in it i use the wood hardener because it was spongy and a tiny bit rotten, the wood was absorbent and i coated it three times, the next day i checked and it was surprisingly hard i tapped it with the handle side of the screwdriver a few times and it felt and sounded solid, then i painted it with the black satin paint.

Home renovation

Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 9:23 am
by dill786
i noticed the felt on top of the by the window was a bit weathered and it looked like it was lined with lead,, lead is dangerous huh, so ill have to get some encapsulating paint and paint it over at some point, lead has been banned in the UK since 1992, even though it wasn't the paint but actual lead covering which was painted with felt paint..

Home renovation

Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 9:25 am
by dill786
the front doorstep not looking too good, you can see I painted it with sandstone around 10 years ago and you can still see some of it, below it you can see some burgundy paint also painted by the previous owner of the house..

Home renovation

Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 9:29 am
by dill786
my 3rd project will be to remove all the bricks from the front driveway because I noticed weeds growing through them, I've been using a wire brush to remove all the weeds but I guess there's no weed fabric underneath or it worn out, so at some point ill have to do this too, not looking forward to it though....

Home renovation

Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 9:51 am
by dill786
the drain pipe at the back that comes down from the roof into the drain gutter 9 the bend) I noticed it was loose barely hanging on, so I got some roof and gutter sealant ( on the right of pic) going clean it first get the debris off it and then use the sealant which is a type of glue to stick them together ill use a garden brick to hold it white it sticks firm...

you know am only gonna use not even a quarter of the sealant and after a while the sealant in will get rock hard, I hear if you put nail in it, it will last longer but not 6 months or so.. people have half used caulk and mastic which just goes hard and unusable, what a waste huh

Home renovation

Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 9:58 am
by Butcher Bob
dill786 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 9:29 am
my 3rd project will be to remove all the bricks from the front driveway because I noticed weeds growing through them, I've been using a wire brush to remove all the weeds but I guess there's no weed fabric underneath or it worn out, so at some point ill have to do this too, not looking forward to it though....
That's going to be a lot more involved than you think. The brick section in the pic looks to be in good shape. Looks like the weeds are growing in the cracks, rather than through the bricks. If they are just in the cracks, no weed barrier under the bricks will stop that. Dust, dirt, etc. will always find it's way into the cracks, forming "soil"...then weed seeds will find their way into that soil and grow. Their roots wouldn't need to penetrate the barrier below...the roots can just establish in spaces above the barrier. Occasional use of an herbicide sprayed in the cracks would be a lot easier.

Home renovation

Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 10:04 am
by dill786
yeh sorry, i meant the cracks/the spaces between the bricks sorry don't know the correct terminology.

yeh you're right,, they recommended that you use herbicide in August as the weeds will absorb the poison because of the lack of rain and thus will kill it quicker but it looks untidy if I wait till August, ill just use a combination of the wire brush and herbicide then....

Home renovation

Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 10:09 am
by dill786
i have quarter of a bottle of glysophate, so ill use that in my sprayer

Home renovation

Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 10:41 am
by roller24
All you really need to do is fuck up the PH of the soil. I dumped some old cooking oil in my garden. nothing grows there.

Home renovation

Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 10:50 am
by roller24
I did half my interior about a 2year ago, maybe more. I should have done the whole job at once, because I never have gotten around to starting the other rooms.
before.jpg
after.jpg
lit.jpg

Home renovation

Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 11:04 am
by Butcher Bob
roller24 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:41 am
All you really need to do is fuck up the PH of the soil. I dumped some old cooking oil in my garden. nothing grows there.
Yes...vinegar is another good option.

Home renovation

Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 12:56 pm
by dill786
nice one roller,

looks a lot modern in the 2nd pic, with the new ceiling and the ceiling fan with ambient lighting :tup: :tup:

Home renovation

Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 2:00 pm
by Lrus007
dill786 wrote:
if you don't want to use weed killer. you can get some 40%
vinegar. that will kill the weeds also.

Home renovation

Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 2:43 pm
by dill786
been using this on my driveway with a sprayer it really works well, no need for a pressure washer, which kills Kills Algae and Lichens. i ran out of it but its only £10 for 2.5 litres. gonna pick some up on the weekend

Home renovation

Posted: Sat May 20, 2023 11:22 am
by dill786
Neighbours shed lives in the street opposite but the shed is built right on the edge of my garden, I saw around 5 huge fucking rats eating some cooked rice the missus put out for the birds, they were really big and I saw them scurry back into the hole under the shed, so I got some RAT bait from Screwfix, didn't have the bait stations, I forgot about that, it has 6 sachets inside . so I put some near the holes I saw them coming out, under a brick with a bit of the sachet sticking out, hopefully, will do the job, when I was reading the views it had 90% positive reviews, so hopefully the poison will kill the little cunts. you have put the sachets 10 metres apart so I laid done 2 of them and still have another 4 sachets left, hopefully, it won't rain for a few days...

Home renovation

Posted: Sat May 20, 2023 1:57 pm
by roller24
Buy the missus a bird feeder.

Home renovation

Posted: Sat May 20, 2023 3:50 pm
by rSin
moved in with a friend in santa monica a more than a decade ago when he got this new place. two bedroom one side of a duplex.
he'd been feeding the birds for years when he lived in topanga canyon and had hung up two bird feeders. just mesh bag full of seeds for them to grab out with their beaks. i got home he was there but the guy who lives in the other side of the duplex was. he was standing in the driveway watching several big rats had ripped one of these bags open and they were feasting. there were more rats waiting to get at it and several were on the power line that came down to the roof right there.

behind us was another single 2 bedroom then an alley. the other side of which was ther jr college campus. all buildings walls no windows or door in that side.

Home renovation

Posted: Sat May 20, 2023 4:05 pm
by rSin
Butcher Bob wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 9:58 am
dill786 wrote:
That's going to be a lot more involved than you think. The brick section in the pic looks to be in good shape.

i completely agree. that would be a huge job AND it really take skill to take those up to reset them. assume they all mortared into place the first headaches is chiseling off the old mortar that stick to them when you pry them out. god my head hurts even thinking about it. next is the grading it will take to come up with a flat surface at the correct elevation after the instalation of the exterior fabric that you can lay down to down to stop weeds, then mortar them all back it.

god what a job! ive never done a project of that type at this size

like bob said.
avoid this job if you can

Home renovation

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:05 pm
by dill786
gotta change the bathroom sink taps or faucet as you Americans call them, the copper pipes are flush against the wall 15mm copper pipes, really awkward, and not much give from the copper pipe to the tap fitting, need to put some isolation valves on the copper pipes too. will show pics of the taps and tails I bought tomorrow...

never changed the taps in such an awkward position before, will have to shut off the water from the stop cock outside on the pavement, because there are no isolation valves on the copper pipes as i previously mentioned...

Home renovation

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:09 pm
by rSin
the way done here,
straight out of the wall are valves we refer to as angle stops

from them run flexible 'supply' segments of tubing you buy in various lengths long enough to reach the contertop height where they connect to threaded inlets the faucet yourve purchased leaves hanging down under the counter.

its always valves first as the water comes straight out of the wall.

Home renovation

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:37 pm
by Butcher Bob
rSin wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:09 pm
from them run flexible 'supply' segments of tubing...
Never been a fan of the tubing. :dunno:

Always preferred hose myself...
Screws right to the shut-off and the faucet...easy peasy. :)

Home renovation

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:03 pm
by dill786
^ that's what i bought

the 15mm copper pipe is flush against the wall and the 12 inches that arnt is bent at an angle, so gonna figure out where to cut the copper pipe nice and straight so i can fix the tails, also need to install isolation valves ill need 2 one for the hot and one for the cold pipe. but not enough copper pipe if I use the tails, you get some tails with a built-in isolation valve from what I've seen but they are not the ones I have...

Home renovation

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:54 pm
by dill786
this is what i need, it has built in isolation. it's been over a good 20 years since the bathroom taps were changed, I had to get the plumber in, didn't know fuckall about this kind of stuff back in the day, but the plumber should have put the valves in, fucking lazy cunt.

Home renovation

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:27 pm
by rSin
ya you have to shut off the water to the house to change those valves and its good to know how to drain the lines before pulling those valves off if your working downstairs in a two story...
Butcher Bob wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:37 pm
rSin wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:09 pm
from them run flexible 'supply' segments of tubing...
Never been a fan of the tubing. :dunno:

Always preferred hose myself...
Screws right to the shut-off and the faucet...easy peasy. :)
i agree,
only use the tubing on pedestal sinks where it visible
they are a touch more tricky...

Home renovation

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:35 am
by Butcher Bob
dill786 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:54 pm
this is what i need, it has built in isolation.
Don't think I'd use that...
...you still have the same problem if that hose ever needs replaced in the future.
Just a thought. :)

Home renovation

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:13 am
by dill786
Yeah you're right, i didn't think of that...

i might call a plumber to make sure everything is done right..

Home renovation

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:17 pm
by rSin
whenever i remodel a bathroom i like to go the extra
and alot of that most people never notice

angle stops that just clamp onto copper tubing coming out the wall i think is a cheap detail
ok inside a cabinet but not anywhere visible
wc
pedestal sink

in those cases i make sure an brass pipe fittings comes up flush with the finished wallboard.
if youve steel pipes to work with your all good
i regret the day i run into plastic and i gotta rent the tool

it turns out sweet.
simple nipple to the angle stop easy to replace in 20 years...

Home renovation

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:42 am
by dill786
How do i get the tap cartridge out of the tap the hexagonal nut is rounded off, I've tried every tool I got it won't budge I need to change it as the tap is dripping, and it has been for 6 months and its annoying, got the taps ( faucet) from ebay it came from china, its good, but the tap cartridges are inferior to British ones.. if I cant take it of ill have to get new faucet as that dripping is pissing me off, its been 6 months lol

pump pliers
regular pliers
ratchet spanner

Home renovation

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:03 pm
by Butcher Bob

:dunno:

Home renovation

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:12 pm
by dill786
grip pliers??

i don't have one, but ill buy one tomorrow

thanks. no other tools worked

Home renovation

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:02 pm
by rSin
while your at the hardware store pick up some liquid 'break free'
you drip a few drops on the threads and it helps loosen stuck nuts.
like a very thin penetrating oil

but damn,
i find even with the nut off i cant get those cartridges to pull half the time.

Home renovation

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:42 pm
by dill786
wd-40 won't work then??

i didn't have it but gonna get a can tomorrow

Home renovation

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:29 pm
by rSin
wont work as well,
theres a far better product
here in the states its called 'liquid wrench' or 'break free'
comes in a couple ounces with an eyedropper end

any time ive a job where i need old steel pips to unscrew i drop by the job a couple times and hit those fittings with this product.

makes a huge difference and ive found it useful in sink fittings

Home renovation

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:36 pm
by rSin
never googled this before,
the above was just my own observations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNhItP85Tkc

quite the homemade product.

Home renovation

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:55 pm
by dill786
liquid wrench won hands down

Home renovation

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:40 am
by dill786
well i tried it with the grip pliers and it wasn't moving one bit, I think it seized up and I can't get enough purchase on the rounded nut to make some leverage, got my brother to give me a hand and he couldn't do it either, so fuck it ll just buy brand new taps on the weekend,

Home renovation

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:52 pm
by rSin
there are a couple other tricks,
both via hand grinders

ones you chew that rounded off nut into having square parts enough for your wrench to grab

another is you cut a groove down its center enough you can get a flathead screw driver purchase

Home renovation

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:05 pm
by dill786
i tried everything but couldn't get it out. cheap Chinese junk

gonna have to get a new set of taps...

on the weekend....

Home renovation

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:12 pm
by ben ttech
you know,
the make a type of wrench that instead of flat surfaces that mimic the nut or bolt
its got a series of have circles protruding into the inside,
box wrench. cant remember the exact type name,
but the ways its sized each of these curves grabs a nut halfway toward the center of the flat surface
not the corners

ive seen nice ones from craftsman

https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/t ... ench-sets/

Home renovation

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:21 pm
by ben ttech
The one I’ve got is a husky…

Home renovation

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:06 pm
by dill786
Do you have a Ratcheting Torque Wrench Ben?

i seen the ones with the little LED screen, don't need one at the moment but might get one if there sale on :toker1:

Home renovation

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:28 pm
by dill786
i have a black & decker drill, the jaws of the chuck locked with the drill bit still inside the clasp, finally I managed to turn the chuck but it seized up, I managed to take out the drill bit.

I can't take off the chuck by using an Alan key, I noticed the Alan key just turns around and doesn't grip anything, is there a fix for this?

Home renovation

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:05 am
by ben ttech
my torque wrenches are old school
lever rather than lockout

donnt use em save automotive

Home renovation

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:06 am
by ben ttech
dill786 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:28 pm
i have a black & decker drill, the jaws of the chuck locked with the drill bit still inside the clasp, finally I managed to turn the chuck but it seized up, I managed to take out the drill bit.

I can't take off the chuck by using an Alan key, I noticed the Alan key just turns around and doesn't grip anything, is there a fix for this?
thats a first on me
dunno...

better description mabe i can search it

Home renovation

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:46 am
by dill786
These angle grinders made in China are so cheap..

i may get one and test it out....

for someone who uses an angle grinder 3, 4 times a year for random jobs, its ok better than buying a dewalt and using it seldom...

Home renovation

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:09 am
by dill786
can you use impact driver bits on a regular black and decker screwdriver?

Home renovation

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:42 am
by Intrinsic
I use impact bits on my Skil screwdriver.

Home renovation

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:25 pm
by ben ttech
yes,
impact just mean their tough and should stand up in a high impact tool