Has bestowed Karma : 431 times
Received Karma : 527 times

Renewable energy?....not so renewable.

Post by Prawn Connery »

Butcher Bob wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 10:48 pm
Prawn Connery wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 9:49 pm
Ah Bob, I'll wager your 3-Mile/Chernobyl/Fukushima against all the living damage petrochemicals have caused over the past 200+ years.

There's really no contest.
I'd take that bet.
Can you think of any 20 year old petroleum disasters that nature hasn't taken care of?
Chernobyl should be inhabitable again in what...another 50,000 years?
Yes, there really is no contest. :wink:
I can think of plenty. Plastics take up to 1,000 years or more to degrade.

How long will it take to remove all the plastic from the Pacific and other oceans?

What about fracking? How much water has fracking contaminated? How long will it take nature to replace that artesian water which took millions of years to accumulate?

What about carbon dioxide build-up in the atmosphere leading to rising ocean and land temperatures? How many living things will petrochemical-burning-induced climate change kill over the next 1,000 years or so?

For that matter, how many deaths of humans and other life forms can be directly attributed to petrochemicals compared to nuclear power? Take your best guess and nuclear power has directly killed only a fraction of those killed by petrochemicals over the past 200+ years.

You need to see the big picture, Bob.
Licensed to Krill

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by Prawn Connery »

rSin wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 10:32 pm
months after 3mile island,
as if poisoning all the indians within hundreds of miles
a tailing damn broke and unleashed the largest nuclear waste release north america has ever seen! ran at least 100 miles downstream. still not cleaned up

80% of najavo indian residences are contaminated with uranium
and the miners who walked away from it all are back at it hope the federal government will overrules native american restrictions on mining so they can get back to actively poisoning them and us all again as soon as possible

now that were supposedly not going to buy anymore nuclear fuel from russia again...

if you dont dig it, it cant poison us
if you dont build them they cant meltdown

not to mention the waste which will be a significant threat for millions of years at least
I am not arguing these things haven't happened. Nor that nuclear power has the potential to be deadly. I am simply pointing out that, historically, petrochemicals have killed far more living things on earth than nuclear power accidents.

Yet we still burn coal and gas, and our cars, boats and planes still burn petrol, diesel and kerosene (turbine fuel) at an enormous rate.
Licensed to Krill

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by Prawn Connery »

Did you know that plastic chemicals are believed to be one of the main causes of sperm counts dropping by up to 50% in recent decades? Or that they are believed to be one of the main causes of the huge spike in human cancers and other diseases over the same period?

Plastics are in our food, our water, our air and our bodies. Plastics permeate far more of the human race (and nature combined) than radioactive isotopes from nuclear accidents.

Petrochemicals are in practically everything.
Licensed to Krill

ripper5
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 2224 times
Received Karma : 1647 times

Post by ripper5 »

Anyone else remember how they were selling the idea that there was an eminent tampering threat everywhere and that everything needed to be safety proofed and wrapped in plastic? Early Eighties? About the same time they got rid of the old pull tab cans for the ever since pop tops. Should've never happened... :bonghitter:

roller24
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 335 times
Received Karma : 498 times

Post by roller24 »

Hydro electricity seems like it should be more widely developed, problem is, there isn't enough profit in it.
You don't need to build a dam for each one either as you could utilize any moving water to accomplish a spinning turbine.

Hydrogen cells are also a viable source of energy for vehicles.

Biofuels are what? too expensive? what happened in this field of science.

ripper wrote:Anyone else remember how they were selling the idea that there was an eminent tampering threat everywhere and that everything needed to be safety proofed and wrapped in plastic? Early Eighties? About the same time they got rid of the old pull tab cans for the ever since pop tops. Should've never happened...
That was all due to one bottle of Tylenol.

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: world where everone gets
Has bestowed Karma : 1668 times
Received Karma : 1064 times

Post by rSin »

there will be no more dams
we have the near nightmare proposition of removing the ones we have currently as they age close to failure soon

wave and tide energy capture are an unlimited source of energy we havnt gotten past experimenting with.
we have dozens of methods ready and waiting for wide scale rollout in this regard

not to mention underwater turbines to capture energy from ocean currents.

the future of humanity is for most of it to migrate into floating cities. and then centuries of work restoring the land in what will amount to a desperate attempt to save the oceans themselves from the biological collaspe they are headed for a breakneck speed.

olds are even that by 2100 the only living things in the oceans will be jellyfish...
all the oceanographers and marine biologists i know are leading shattered lives today in abject despair knowing this is happening and what the likely outcome is...
the intolerance of the old order is emerging from the rosy mist in which it has hitherto been obscured.

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 1332 times
Received Karma : 944 times

Post by Butcher Bob »

Prawn Connery wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 6:24 am
I am not arguing these things haven't happened. Nor that nuclear power has the potential to be deadly. I am simply pointing out that, historically, petrochemicals have killed far more living things on earth than nuclear power accidents.

Yet we still burn coal and gas, and our cars, boats and planes still burn petrol, diesel and kerosene (turbine fuel) at an enormous rate.
:facepalm:

The same moronic reasoning used in political elections.
You have to vote for Biden, so Trump doesn't get elected.
Two terrible choices, and you want to pick one...
... rather than go through the pain of doing the right thing.
You are exactly the problem I'm pointing out.
Full steam ahead....no shits given for the future...
...the future generations can pay for our mistakes.

The fracking was a good point...but it doesn't make nuclear better...not even acceptable. :wink:

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Has bestowed Karma : 1888 times
Received Karma : 1620 times

Post by Intrinsic »

lrus your initial statement was about solar and wind for electric generation. I addressed that. If Renewables couldn't supply all our energy needs and non-renewables are forever necessary .. but .. by definition we will run out of non-renewables therefore civilization will Collapse by your logic. Okay maybe not collapse that was hyperbole. Sooner or later we're going to have to stop relying on non-renewables, by choice or by force. It is why the American DoD stated goal to be free of non-renewables for National Security. And they say it's doable. Without covering everything in solar panels.

Solid Gold Butt Plug
Stackin' Karma Yo
Stackin' Karma Yo
Custom Title: SLIP IT IN
Has bestowed Karma : 1 time
Received Karma : 126 times

Post by Solid Gold Butt Plug »

My county is powered by geothermal electricity.

Lrus007
Advanced Grower
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: hash and oil maker
Has bestowed Karma : 1140 times
Received Karma : 1791 times

Post by Lrus007 »

Intrinsic wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 11:19 am
lrus your initial statement was about solar and wind for electric generation. I addressed that. If Renewables couldn't supply all our energy needs and non-renewables are forever necessary .. but .. by definition we will run out of non-renewables therefore civilization will Collapse by your logic. Okay maybe not collapse that was hyperbole. Sooner or later we're going to have to stop relying on non-renewables, by choice or by force. It is why the American DoD stated goal to be free of non-renewables for National Security. And they say it's doable. Without covering everything in solar panels.
yes i meant all our energy needs. sorry for the confusion.
My therapist says I am a habitual liar and an attention seeker, therefore nothing I say/write is true and under no circumstances should I be believed nor held accountable for anything I say. all photo's are paintings

People are born with the instinct to fight against their own death, to struggle with their last breath against even the most unavoidable and uncompromising ends.