Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 428 times
Received Karma : 524 times

Open carry = open season for cops

Post by Prawn Connery »

rSin wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:38 pm
what i dont understand is how given bringing a gun home only increases its inhabitants risk of dying via firearm

why dont home insurance companies offer bonus for gun free homes and penalize gun owners for assume the risk?
That's a very good point. The fact bringing a firearm home automatically increases the risk to those who live there leads me to believe there is a lack of respect for that firearm and how to handle and store it safely. Unless we're including suicides in the data, because then you could argue if they didn't do it with a gun, they'd find another way to do it.

When my dad was dying of brain cancer, he kept asking me to bring my "biggest gun" down to the farm to "shoot some snakes". He was full of shit and we both knew it. I don't shoot snakes (or anything else for that matter – I'm strictly a target shooter) and he had never before shown any interest in firearms, but suddenly he wanted me to bring a rifle down so he could take a moment out to shoot himself.

I kind of wanted to help him out, but there was really no way around it. I would have lost all my guns but more seriously could have faced assisted suicide (murder) charges for letting him do it.

So he went the old-fashioned way: in palliative care doped up on morphine. I still can't decide how I want to die: bullet to the head or heroin overdose. I'm still leaning towards that heroin overdose. Not a bad way to die, really. I'd feel like a hypocrite if I got to shoot myself while denying my dying father the same . . .

On a related note, if you own a firearm here it must be kept in two separate safes: one for the firearm, and another for the ammunition. You can't store ammo in the same safe as the firearm. You can't store a loaded firearm, either.

The system isn't designed to make it easy for you to get to your gun in the event of needing it for self-defence, but it does make it harder for kids to get their hands on guns and ammo. In the US, people leave loaded guns beside their bed and even under their pillow. Every now and then someone shoots themself in the head thinking they are answering their phone.
Licensed to Krill

ripper5
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 2224 times
Received Karma : 1646 times

Post by ripper5 »

I slept with a loaded m16 for several months during Desert Storm. In the Army your rifle goes everywhere you go. 30 round clip inserted at all times (to keep the dust & sand out) & 2 ammo pouches which hold 3 each 30 round clips.

The gas mask made for a nice pillow. :laugh:

Off subject but the one beautiful thing about the Gulf desert was the night sky.

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by Prawn Connery »

We slept with our rifles, too, in the Aussie army. I had a FAL L1A1 7.62x51. You slept with your rifle in your swag with the muzzle pointed towards your feet. Thankfully no-one shot their foot off while I was in the army. Thankfully I never had to go to war, either.
Licensed to Krill

ripper5
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 2224 times
Received Karma : 1646 times

Post by ripper5 »

Wasn't infrantry and so never came under fire nor had to open fire. Everyone was likewise packing the whole time and yet not one single accidental discharge (let alone accidental shooting) happened to my knowledge. The main thing was just keeping the m16a2s and other equipment from being rendered inoperable via the dust & sand. It gets in everything and much worse during sandstorm. We had dust caps for the muzzles, and you could wrap the receiver up with a handkerchief. For sleeping and just in general carrying safely. ..Ya just visually clear the weapon, and make sure the bolt is forward before you insert the mag, plus there is the safety switch.

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: world where everone gets
Has bestowed Karma : 1668 times
Received Karma : 1064 times

Post by rSin »

the home protection crowd has a big problem with safe storage as it puts them out of reach in dire circumstance

you see alot of loaded shotguns leaning up in the corners of rooms and handguns stashed all over the house and garage...
the intolerance of the old order is emerging from the rosy mist in which it has hitherto been obscured.

Lrus007
Advanced Grower
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: hash and oil maker
Has bestowed Karma : 1136 times
Received Karma : 1787 times

Post by Lrus007 »

rSin wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:39 pm

you see alot of loaded shotguns leaning up in the corners of rooms and handguns stashed all over the house and garage...
ya they are and oddly never go off by them selfs.
:whistle:
My therapist says I am a habitual liar and an attention seeker, therefore nothing I say/write is true and under no circumstances should I be believed nor held accountable for anything I say. all photo's are paintings

People are born with the instinct to fight against their own death, to struggle with their last breath against even the most unavoidable and uncompromising ends.

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by Prawn Connery »

They shouldn't. It's when kids get hold of them that it often ends in tragedy. All my rifles have 12-14oz triggers, so leaving them anywhere loaded where they might get bumped is a bad idea.
Licensed to Krill

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 1332 times
Received Karma : 944 times

I learned gun safety from a 5 year old...

Post by Butcher Bob »

True story.

I was 5...my friend was 5. He got a .22 rifle from his house. The first rule for him, was that he had to tell his mother what he was doing...i.e. teaching me how to shoot. Before the gun was ever loaded, he instructed me in everything that is in our state's Hunter's Safety course...placing extra stress on always checking what you might hit if you miss your intended target...even pointing out that things like metal, a rock, or even water can ricochet a shot.

Amazing....that a 5 year old can get it right....but an adult specifically trained for it, can't.
Seeing the field of fire in a lot of these videos is scary....'what were they thinking' situations. :confused:

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: world where everone gets
Has bestowed Karma : 1668 times
Received Karma : 1064 times

Post by rSin »

in junior high me and a friend were exploring a basement and found a shotgun,
i knew a thing or two but my buddy started waving it around and them he racked it and a shell spit out

i never told anyone and he died last year...
the intolerance of the old order is emerging from the rosy mist in which it has hitherto been obscured.

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

I learned gun safety from a 5 year old...

Post by Prawn Connery »

Butcher Bob wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:33 am
True story.

I was 5...my friend was 5. He got a .22 rifle from his house. The first rule for him, was that he had to tell his mother what he was doing...i.e. teaching me how to shoot. Before the gun was ever loaded, he instructed me in everything that is in our state's Hunter's Safety course...placing extra stress on always checking what you might hit if you miss your intended target...even pointing out that things like metal, a rock, or even water can ricochet a shot.

Amazing....that a 5 year old can get it right....but an adult specifically trained for it, can't.
Seeing the field of fire in a lot of these videos is scary....'what were they thinking' situations. :confused:
Was this your friend?

https://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/01/us/k ... index.html

Apparently it was "God's will. It was her time to go". < I'm not even making that shit up.

So, all God's fault – nothing to do with giving a 5-year-old a .22 for his birthday and letting him play with it.

God and Guns - A Match Made in Heaven! :toker1:
Licensed to Krill