Old seed starting experiment

The place to throw about unorthodox ideas related to gardening.
Hippiechik
some karma
some karma
Custom Title: my custom title
Has bestowed Karma : 36 times
Received Karma : 63 times

Post by Hippiechik »

I’m attempting to revive some nearly 20 year old seeds that were thrown into a toolbox and shoved into the back of an unheated closet the entire time.

I’ve tried all kinds of different techniques, without success. They will swell up and sink, and even split open- one or two had a radicle pop out- but that’s as far as it ever got.

I mixed about a quarter teaspoon of molasses, a quarter teaspoon of brown sugar, and a very tiny amount (enough to coat the tip of a spoon handle about 1/8”) of clonex gel to a cup of hot (not quite boiling) water and divided into 4 cups, with a little left over. One of them got a VERY tiny amount of gibberelic acid- just a whisper of it, too.

I will label them and see how they do. This will be my seed soaking experiment. I’m hoping that it will help.

Hippiechik
some karma
some karma

Post by Hippiechik »

So here we go (again). I took a cup of water and microwaved it until it was almost boiling, then added a quarter teaspoon each of molasses and brown sugar, plus a pea-sized amount of Clonex gel, and stirred it all up until it dissolved.

I divided the solution into four 50ml portions and dumped each one into a separate cup. Into one cup I also added the tiniest amount of gibberelic acid- maybe enough to cover the tip of a toothpick. Into each cup I also added about a quarter teaspoon of 3% H2O2.

I then placed three of the best looking seeds from each cross into a separate cup. The seeds will remain in this solution until they sink, and then I will extract each one, rinse it, and move it to a damp paper towel for further development and observation.

It’s a headache trying to keep three separate diaries going, so feel free to check out the one I started first on Overgrow (or the one I did on rollitup).

ripper5
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 2220 times
Received Karma : 1642 times

Post by ripper5 »

Very interesting...
Good luck!

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 1332 times
Received Karma : 938 times

Post by Butcher Bob »

Will be interesting to see your results....I too have 20 year old seeds. :p
Hippiechik wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:51 am
So here we go (again). I took a cup of water and microwaved it until it was almost boiling, then added a quarter teaspoon each of molasses and brown sugar, plus a pea-sized amount of Clonex gel, and stirred it all up until it dissolved.

I divided the solution into four 50ml portions and dumped each one into a separate cup. Into one cup I also added the tiniest amount of gibberelic acid- maybe enough to cover the tip of a toothpick. Into each cup I also added about a quarter teaspoon of 3% H2O2.
Ok, I get the pre-soak...to hydrate the seeds...but I agree with roots aboot using scarification to help with that. Have never heard of using H2O2 to help with hydration. :dunno:
I also get the H2O2 for killing off microbials.
I get the Clonex, for early growth development, but I think Superthrive would be a much better selection for that purpose.
I kind of get the GA, but I don't think germination is a correct application for it...again, I think Superthrive would be a better choice.
I do not understand the sugar. I saw Prawn's comment...
Prawn Connery wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:23 am
Stir a teaspoon of honey or sugar into half a cup of warm water and use this as a pre-soak (shot glass) and to wet the paper towel after the seeds sink to give them a bit of sugar to draw on when they crack open.
The honey maybe, but not for the sugars it contains. The idea that sugars help the emerging seedling grow is highly debatably. In horticulture, sugars are used to feed soil microbes, so that the plant doesn't need to expend energy making sugars for that microbial herd. Maybe Prawn has a better explanation of it, but I only see adverse possibilities from it's use.

...on rollitup).
Curious, do you know if Uncle Ben is still there?...or did he get himself canned? :p
Ain't talked with him in quite some time...every once in a while I wonder aboot him. :)

~Uncle Ben~
some karma
some karma
Has bestowed Karma : 2 times
Received Karma : 1 time

Post by ~Uncle Ben~ »

tagging along..

ripper5
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 2220 times
Received Karma : 1642 times

Post by ripper5 »

What do y'all think about kelp extract pre soak?

Hippiechik
some karma
some karma

Post by Hippiechik »

Butcher Bob wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:59 am
Ok, I get the pre-soak...to hydrate the seeds...but I agree with roots aboot using scarification to help with that. Have never heard of using H2O2 to help with hydration. :dunno:

Please forgive any formatting errors, I am on my phone and am extremely high. :bannana:

I forgot to mention that I gave each one a couple of light scuffs with an emery board, right along the seam, before dropping them in.

H2O2 actually has quite useful properties, and you can find all kinds of claims for it online. I will skip the anecdotal evidence and post the published research instead:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3405688/

I also get the H2O2 for killing off microbial.
I get the Clonex, for early growth development, but I think Superthrive would be a much better selection for that purpose.

This is an old farm house with a lot of mold spores and stuff constantly floating around. I figured it would not hurt, especially since it was really diluted. I divided about half a cap full of 3% peroxide among four containers with 50ml of solution in each. It might not be exact, but I think it was pretty close (I know I know, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades lol 😂)

I kind of get the GA, but I don't think germination is a correct application for it...again, I think Superthrive would be a better choice.

I had to use what I had on hand. I figured that the small amount of clonex would not be harmful, and perhaps even helpful since it is fairly diluted.

I did all kinds of research when I was trying to come up with a solution. GA is extremely powerful stuff, and administered incorrectly can damage or even kill an embryo. (I believe we’re talking about micrograms here, and I don’t have any way to measure that accurately.)

But, it IS used for starting old, damaged, or otherwise difficult- or nearly impossible- seeds, like certain complex hybrids or orchids.

BF288CC7-3AD2-4620-9A66-051CADBD3FD4.png
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4002599/

I do not understand the sugar. I saw Prawn's comment...
Prawn Connery wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:23 am
Stir a teaspoon of honey or sugar into half a cup of warm water and use this as a pre-soak (shot glass) and to wet the paper towel after the seeds sink to give them a bit of sugar to draw on when they crack open.
The honey maybe, but not for the sugars it contains. The idea that sugars help the emerging seedling grow is highly debatably. In horticulture, sugars are used to feed soil microbes, so that the plant doesn't need to expend energy making sugars for that microbial herd. Maybe Prawn has a better explanation of it, but I only see adverse possibilities from it's use.

This is my basic understanding of the situation:

A seed uses up a portion of its energy staying viable. It might be in “power saver” sleep mode, but eventually the battery will just get too low. However, if the embryo is given the right boost of nutrients, it could help it revive and begin developing.

The very best option would be using a carefully designed product, such as Murashige-Skoog:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murashig ... oog_medium

...on rollitup).
Curious, do you know if Uncle Ben is still there?...or did he get himself canned? :p
Ain't talked with him in quite some time...every once in a while I wonder aboot him. :)

I see he just posted, you probably should ask him…my memory is terrible now :toker1:

Y’all should appreciate just how much this sucked to type out on this stupid phone 🙄🤣

Hippiechik
some karma
some karma

Post by Hippiechik »

~Uncle Ben~ wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:11 am
tagging along..
I have no idea what will happen, but I have to try something! Maybe this will work, I have my doubts though.

Hippiechik
some karma
some karma

Post by Hippiechik »

ripper5 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:15 am
What do y'all think about kelp extract pre soak?
I don’t think it’s harmful, since it contains various nutrients and hormones. I don’t have any or I might have used it.

Hippiechik
some karma
some karma

Post by Hippiechik »

ripper5 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:56 am
Very interesting...
Good luck!