Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: world where everone gets
Has bestowed Karma : 1668 times
Received Karma : 1063 times

samuel clemens war prayer...

Post by rSin »

The War Prayer by Mark Twain
It seems appropriate to end this essay on Nagasaki with the following excerpt from Mark Twain’s “The War Prayer”, which, interestingly, Twain requested not be published until after his death. It is suspected that he felt that he would be castigated for a lack of patriotism by writing such a deeply truthful allegory. The excerpt starts as the Pro-War/ Justified War Theory pastor was praying for the troops. The pastor prayed:

“Watch over our noble young soldiers, and aid, comfort, and encourage them in their patriotic work; bless them, shield them in the day of battle and the hour of peril, bear them in His mighty hand, make them strong and confident, invincible in the bloody onset; help them crush the foe, grant to them and to their flag and country imperishable honor and glory–

”An aged stranger entered and moved with slow and noiseless step up the main aisle, his eyes fixed upon the minister, his long body clothed in a robe that reached to his feet, his head bare, his white hair descending in a frothy cataract to his shoulders, his seamy face unnaturally pale, pale even to ghastliness. With all eyes following him and wondering, he made his silent way; without pausing, he ascended to the preacher’s side and stood there waiting. With shut lids the preacher, unconscious of his presence, continued his moving prayer, and at last finished it with the words, uttered in fervent appeal, “Bless our arms, grant us the victory, O Lord and God, Father and Protector of our land and flag!”

”The stranger touched his arm, motioned him to step aside–which the startled minister did–and took his place. During some moments he surveyed the spellbound audience with solemn eyes, in which burned an uncanny light; then in a deep voice he said:

”’I come from the Throne–bearing a message from Almighty God!’ The words smote the house with a shock; if the stranger perceived it he gave no attention. ‘He has heard the prayer of His servant your shepherd, and will grant it if such be your desire after I, His messenger, shall have explained to you its import–that is to say, its full import. For it is like unto many of the prayers of men, in that it asks for more than he who utters it is aware of–except he pause and think. ‘God’s servant and yours has prayed his prayer. Has he paused and taken thought? Is it one prayer? No, it is two–one uttered, and the other not. Both have reached the ear of Him who heareth all supplications, the spoken and the unspoken. Ponder this–keep it in mind. If you would beseech a blessing upon yourself, beware, lest without intent you invoke a curse upon your neighbor at the same time. If you pray for the blessing of rain on your crop which needs it, by that act you are possibly praying for a curse on some neighbor’s crop which may not need rain and can be injured by it.

”’You have heard your servant’s prayer–the uttered part of it. I am commissioned by God to put into words the other part of it–that part which the pastor–and also you in your hearts–fervently prayed silently–and ignorantly and unthinkingly. God grant that it was so! You heard the words ‘Grant us the victory, O Lord our God!’ That is sufficient. The whole of the uttered prayer is compact into those pregnant words. Elaborations were not necessary. When you have prayed for victory you have prayed for many unmentioned results that follow victory–must follow it, cannot help but follow it. Upon the listening spirit of God fell also the unspoken part of the prayer. He commandeth me to put it into words. Listen!

“’Lord our Father, our young patriots, idols of our hearts, go forth into battle–be Thou near them! With them–in spirit–we also go forth from the sweet peace of our beloved firesides to smite the foe. O Lord our God, help us tear their soldiers to bloody shreds with our shells; help us to cover their smiling fields with the pale forms of their patriot dead; help us to drown the thunder of the guns with the shrieks of their wounded, writhing in pain; help us to lay waste their humble homes with a hurricane of fire; help us to wring the hearts of their unoffending widows with unavailing grief; help us to turn them out roofless with their little children to wander friendless in the wastes of their desolated land in rags and hunger and thirst, sports of the sun flames in summer and the icy winds of winter, broken in spirit, worn with travail, imploring thee for the refuge of the grave and denied it–

”’For our sakes who adore Thee, Lord, blast their hopes, blight their lives, protract their bitter pilgrimage, make heavy their steps, water their way with their tears, stain the white snow with the blood of their wounded feet!

”’We ask it, in the spirit of love, of Him Who is the Source of Love, and Who is the ever-faithful refuge and friend of all that are sore beset and seek His aid with humble and contrite hearts. Amen.

”(After a pause.) ‘Ye have prayed it; if ye still desire it, speak! The messenger of the Most High waits.’

”It was believed afterward that the man was a lunatic, because there was no sense in what he said.”

when we bombed nagasaki we anilated japans largest christian community who had survived 200 years of severe repression and murder.
their church was actually the bombers target...

https://www.globalresearch.ca/ninth-aug ... st/5789325
the intolerance of the old order is emerging from the rosy mist in which it has hitherto been obscured.

arb
Karma Whore
Karma Whore
Custom Title: 4/5's tarded
Has bestowed Karma : 116 times
Received Karma : 75 times

Post by arb »

Do you think dropping the bombs was wrong?
Vaya con Dios HB

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Post by rSin »

absolutely

second only to our firebomb destruction of over 60 of their cities...
the intolerance of the old order is emerging from the rosy mist in which it has hitherto been obscured.

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Has bestowed Karma : 1727 times
Received Karma : 1501 times

Post by Intrinsic »

I've liked Samuel Clemens' anti-war writings.

Tho I'm not sure what the articles about other than anti-war. He didn't cite any evidence that usa dropped the bomb because a Christian church was to be in ground Zero. I thought it stated the cathedral was used as a identifiable landmark. Not because it was Christian.
But it may be my own prejudice against the author Gary Coles as infamous purveyor of antiscience rhetoric and GlobalResearch in general as a pro-Putin and anti-vaccine misinformation clearing house. It is hard to see through one's own preconceptions, so it might be just me.

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Post by rSin »

not because,
simple irony

its amazing how strong the no contingency was in not only the military high command but also trumans security council
truman himself has minutes altered in several place after the fact to distance himself from the order to use the abomb

we knew good and well how little the japanese people had to do with command of the war. they were done for months before; they knew it and we knew it. ive watched the report of how many american troops were expected to be lost in an invasion ratchet up in popular history over the course of my life reading the subject till today most people think we expected to lose a million.

theyd lost the last of their navy a year before
we had them completely blockaded

and all that pales in comparison to the vile fact that WE set them on their path to imperial colonial power. setting them loose on china expecting to roll in and own trade with china in a win the british were never able to pull off. the japanese foiled that by saying no and telling us to be satisfied with the western hemisphere

after the rape of nanking we spent almost a year deciding to cut off their oil

not much unlike our rebuilding german after ww1 and financing the nazi states assuming theyd do as they were told and wipe out the soviets for us

ugly shit

threatening the ussr had more to do with the atomic bombings than concern about our soldiers...

arb
Karma Whore
Karma Whore
Custom Title: 4/5's tarded
Has bestowed Karma : 116 times
Received Karma : 75 times

Post by arb »

Damn there's a lot of historical misconception up in this bitch.
Clemens died in 1910 if I recollect correctly.
I suppose a land invasion of the home islands resulting in massive allied AND civilian casualties would have been better some how.
Okinawa went so fuckin smooth that its reprehensible we didn't go that route.
You do realize who was doing the raping in Nanking right?
Vaya con Dios HB

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Post by rSin »

young japanese men whod grown up in a particularly controling enviroment

so much so that they honestly believed that persons positions or actions in certain circumstances would forfeits the individuals human rights no matter theyre being among the living.

a status we nurtured and trained and armed to the teeth

have ancestors who were in on the christianization effort in china way way back
gunboat diplomacy days ive hear...

Lrus007
Advanced Grower
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: hash and oil maker
Has bestowed Karma : 1071 times
Received Karma : 1675 times

Post by Lrus007 »

only way to win a war
kill everyone, then there is no revenge.
My therapist says I am a habitual liar and an attention seeker, therefore nothing I say/write is true and under no circumstances should I be believed nor held accountable for anything I say. all photo's are paintings

People are born with the instinct to fight against their own death, to struggle with their last breath against even the most unavoidable and uncompromising ends.

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Post by rSin »

plenty of wars have been won without resort to old testament methods

they practiced assimilation rigourously and would invest heavily in nations they had defeated quickly raising them to standards previously unknown there

thats is the other path to no revenge...

Lrus007
Advanced Grower
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: hash and oil maker
Has bestowed Karma : 1071 times
Received Karma : 1675 times

Post by Lrus007 »

can you name one ?
:whistle:
My therapist says I am a habitual liar and an attention seeker, therefore nothing I say/write is true and under no circumstances should I be believed nor held accountable for anything I say. all photo's are paintings

People are born with the instinct to fight against their own death, to struggle with their last breath against even the most unavoidable and uncompromising ends.