ukraine &EU v russia

Unmoderated except for TOU and security breaches.
Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 423 times
Received Karma : 520 times

ukraine &EU v russia

Post by Prawn Connery »

rSin wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:54 am
two main reasons being it runs on jet fuel and requires a significant amount of technical Maintenace
Turbines can run on any fuel. Gasolene, kerosene (which is basically what jet fuel is), diesoleum, cooking oil, ethanol, methanol, paint thinners – practically any hydrocarbon that can be combusted.

That's the main advantage to using a gas turbine engine. The only downside is that some fuels burn hotter than others and reduce the engine lifespan (rebuild period). But when you're stuck in the middle of nowhere and need fuel, knowing that you can put anything into the tank has very real advantages.

Also, turbines have fewer moving parts and are much more reliable than piston engines.

I've got 1000 hours flying time in gas turbine aircraft and almost equal time flying piston engines. Engine management is much easier in a turbine and I always felt safer flying them.
Licensed to Krill

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: world where everone gets
Has bestowed Karma : 1668 times
Received Karma : 1063 times

ukraine &EU v russia

Post by rSin »

interesting that that beside the US starting 40 years ago no other nation build a turbine main battle tank
the intolerance of the old order is emerging from the rosy mist in which it has hitherto been obscured.

Roots

ukraine &EU v russia

Post by Roots »

I bet all the hot air Prawn post about LED lights could spin a turbine.

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

ukraine &EU v russia

Post by Prawn Connery »

Roots wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:27 pm
Don't fight it, baby. They work and they're here to stay.
Licensed to Krill

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

ukraine &EU v russia

Post by Prawn Connery »

rSin wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:00 pm
interesting that that beside the US starting 40 years ago no other nation build a turbine main battle tank
Turbines can't be fixed on the side of the road like diesels can, and parts are not readily available.

Turbines give off a large heat signature, making them easy to spot with thermals.

There are advantages (high power-to-weight ratio, quietness, burns any fuel in an emergency), but there are also disadvantages – excessive fuel consumption being the main one. The US military may have the logistics to deliver large quantities of turbine and other fuels, but few (if any) other nations can match it. It just makes sense for most armies to carry one fuel (diesel) for all vehicles.

In fact, the Australian Army runs its Abrahms tanks exclusively on diesel, but as a consequence has had problems with reliability and reduced overhaul times.
Licensed to Krill

Roots

ukraine &EU v russia

Post by Roots »

Prawn Connery wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:03 am
Roots wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:27 pm
Don't fight it, baby. They work and they're here to stay.
The fuckers etiolated some of my prize cactus over the winter, I should have just let them go dormant over the winter….Hopefully I’ll have a commercial green house for next winter.

dill786
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Custom Title: memento mori
Has bestowed Karma : 976 times
Received Karma : 765 times

ukraine &EU v russia

Post by dill786 »

Prawn Connery wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:25 am
rSin wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:00 pm
Turbines can't be fixed on the side of the road like diesels can, and parts are not readily available.

Turbines give off a large heat signature, making them easy to spot with thermals.

There are advantages (high power-to-weight ratio, quietness, burns any fuel in an emergency), but there are also disadvantages – excessive fuel consumption being the main one. The US military may have the logistics to deliver large quantities of turbine and other fuels, but few (if any) other nations can match it. It just makes sense for most armies to carry one fuel (diesel) for all vehicles.

In fact, the Australian Army runs its Abrahms tanks exclusively on diesel, but as a consequence has had problems with reliability and reduced overhaul times.
is that why biden was saying about the tanks and sending spare parts too.
Kuchisabishii

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

ukraine &EU v russia

Post by Prawn Connery »

Roots wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:33 am
The fuckers etiolated some of my prize cactus over the winter, I should have just let them go dormant over the winter….Hopefully I’ll have a commercial green house for next winter.
You should have used proper LEDs then. How many PPFD were you giving them and did they have any UVA and/or Far Red?
Licensed to Krill

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

ukraine &EU v russia

Post by Prawn Connery »

dill786 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:08 am
is that why biden was saying about the tanks and sending spare parts too.
I'm guessing. Turbines have few moving parts but very fine tolerances, as the compressor blades turn tens of thousands of rpm and eventually wear out at the tips and lose compression and power. And it's not like Ukraine can scavenge them for parts like they can T-72s and the like that are scattered all over the country.
Licensed to Krill

dill786
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Custom Title: memento mori
Has bestowed Karma : 976 times
Received Karma : 765 times

ukraine &EU v russia

Post by dill786 »

looks like IRAN and Isreal might be going at it soon too, just a continuing of the Russia v US war I think
jake osullivan white house advisor said IRAN might be contributing to war crimes in Ukraine by giving Russia drones and other ammunition etc....

the whole middle east or as they NOW call it WEST ASIA is a tinderbox waiting to go off
Kuchisabishii