Page 1 of 1

Build it and they will grow....

Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:22 am
by Oldjoints
Working on my detached garage to accommodate a veg and flower room and a woodworking shop. The previous owner in their wisdom pulled out all the electric out of the building because someone tried to break into it and she assumed it was to strip out the wiring to scrap. So now I have to re-wire the building completely including the main feed, breaker box and all circuits. Then insulate and install drywall and build my two grow rooms. I am also removing the garage door and building a wall where the garage door was.

Here is a pic of the garage, and the mess of me tearing shit out:

Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:56 am
by Oldjoints
A few shots of the work in progress:

Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:00 pm
by dill786
do u live in australia lol

its nice and big, cant wait to see it up and running :)

Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:29 pm
by Oldjoints
Will take me a couple of weeks to get it finished. I will get all the wiring finished tomorrow and then start on the rest of the insulation and start hanging more drywall, after that. Going to have to rent a drywall jack for the ceiling though as I’m not as young as I once was. I’ll post pics as I go through the process.

Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:27 pm
by Dick Fein
I was a drywaller for 30 years and my advice to you is going the other direction with your sheets on the ceiling.

Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:27 pm
by Oldjoints
Yep thought of that after those first two sheets. Once I finish that row I will be going the other direction. Appreciate the advice, thanks!

Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:52 pm
by Lrus007
i was a drywaller for 3 years sucked. worked with some
lazy workers mostly. so i moved on to other things.

Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:21 pm
by Intrinsic
".. and a woodworking shop" awesome.

An idea; go head and build the wall where the garage door is, but leave the the garage door covering the solid wall behind. may look like a garage /shop, more so then a grow room. Maybe?

Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:58 am
by Oldjoints
Didn’t think of that, will ponder on it though..... thanks!

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:33 am
by scottmarsh03
Workflow in full swing. Looks good, just upside down)

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:09 am
by Oldjoints
Intrinsic wrote:".. and a woodworking shop" awesome.

An idea; go head and build the wall where the garage door is, but leave the the garage door covering the solid wall behind. may look like a garage /shop, more so then a grow room. Maybe?
After some thought I have decided to use your idea and leave the garage door intact and build an inner wall that conceal’s the garage door. Not only will this provide extra security but will hopefully look more like a garage then a shop and a less likely target for break-in’s.
Thanks once again Intrinsic!

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:15 pm
by Intrinsic
cool. imagine someone surprise when going through the trouble breaking the door lock and finding a wall.

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:32 pm
by Oldjoints
Just something I threw together for the front yard. The top water basin was left here as well as the 6ft clay pipe I used as a base and painted to match:

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:19 pm
by rSin
I know your wrapping up the electric
But in the interest of economy
Anytime you running two seperate circuits
To the same location
And they can be energized by seperate hot bars
At the panel/sub-panel
They can share a single neutral
White wire
So you can use 12-3 or 10-3 ftc cable
Instead of 2 xx-2 ones

Saves buying one copper wire

Every savings counts

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:41 am
by Oldjoints
After a long hiatus due to a stall in closing I have resumed building. I have the electric on and started the framing of the flower room:
8A216238-600B-4353-BAE2-6F18CB72F9F4.jpeg
The light and plants you see are there temporarily until I finish with the rooms.
Here are some pics of the plants:
5DCC23D6-BC02-436C-9CC1-DF7F93AD98E6.jpeg
0B41375C-5CA8-4342-AFBE-3F1A08425792.jpeg
I would offer up some free clones to folks but due to rules here I can’t so to avoid hissy fits I won’t...... :fubird:

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:49 pm
by Jesús Malverde
Everyone looking healthy and happy there.

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:21 am
by Prawn Connery
What strains are you running?

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:58 am
by Oldjoints
Mango Dream
Train wreck
Diesel Blueberry
Critical Mass
Tangieland

Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:10 am
by Oldjoints
Flower room needs paint and a few finishing touches and on to the veg room.

Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:47 am
by rSin
Say,
Whats your ratio
Veg to flowering
Sq ft wise?

Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:21 pm
by Oldjoints
Both rooms will be the same size. 7’5” x 8’9” I.D. So that’s 66.75 sq ft. per room. I will have a lot going on in the veg room with lighted shelving for smaller clones and young germinated plants and a small isolation area for males. The remainder will be for plants waiting to hit the flower room and mothers. The flower room is one open area.

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:38 pm
by Oldjoints
Ok so I’ve got the veg room almost finished, just lack installing the door, some sanding and paint. I also wanted to hide the exhaust and intake so decided to build a little storage unit while I was at it for nutes, cloner and accessories. Now to finish the rest of the shop to accommodate some woodworking.

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:33 pm
by Lrus007
lot of work, very nice :tup:

Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:33 pm
by Oldjoints
One of the things I always hated was dealing with all the little plants in my veg room. I have built shelves and that always made it hard to water. So this time I am solving that problem. Below are some pics of a cab I am building with pull out shelves. No more pulling out plants or moving lights. The cab isn’t finished, I will show pics when it’s done and installed. Not going for looks just functionality. Lights will be mounted over each tray.

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:39 am
by Jesús Malverde
Squared away.

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:13 pm
by Intrinsic
pull out shelves! that's trick. What's next, some of prawn's LED racks?

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:15 pm
by Oldjoints
Nope not going to be playing with Prawn’s LED’s
A nice rack on the other hand... :yellowboobs:

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:55 pm
by Roots
Better anchor it and even then I would be scared to pull it all the way out with a bunch of wet pots in it.

Nice clean build, looking great!

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:36 pm
by Oldjoints
Not a problem...

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:06 pm
by rSin
I take it the black is some waterproofing?

I mostly build with 2x3 whenever I can get away with it
the material is just so much higher grade sitting there on the rack
polished straights and lower water count than about any of the 2x4 stock

looks like your really investing there
think I mighta hit all that wood with a quality high gloss white
would make future cleanups and disinfecting easier and more reliable id think
not to mention keeping the moisture contents down

those are some real fucking hingles!
takes a lot of work to cut clean holes out of plywood

I recognize those elements as a little before my time

rarely seen today

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:47 pm
by Oldjoints
Yes the black is waterproofing paint. Rest of rack will eventually get painted when I paint the room, still a lot of work to do before that happens. The top lights will be mounted like the bottom ones (adjustable height), have to get new lights first. As I stated earlier, functional is the key.

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:46 pm
by Oldjoints
Just a quick post to show the shelves I made in action. The plants are varied strains I have in veg at the moment. Luckily being a caretaker has an advantage for the number of plants I can have in veg and flower.

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:57 pm
by Intrinsic
Yay Baby!!

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:55 am
by timewarp
nice setup! :tup:

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:35 pm
by Oldjoints
Never finished this thread so figured I would get back to it.

Built the wall in front of the garage doors and then built a wee little work bench along it:
0D0AADCF-6D16-4DD8-B9A9-7831859BD64A.jpeg
And since I am venting all the lights into the attic I also installed gable vents at each end of the building:
212EF652-2F0F-4A6C-BE05-4954921A43E0.jpeg
But with the heat here I still didn’t think that would be enough So I bought some material for roof vent but the heat set in and this old man will wait until fall to install it:
CA480573-D66F-4BD3-827D-64FF5783A520.jpeg
Everything got insulated well and had to have some type of air conditioning. I went with a mini-split but was low on funds so could only afford a single zone. I am still using room a/c units in the veg and flower rooms:
3058EFE8-ACF3-46B5-858C-AB4057E42229.jpeg
The one thing I learned quick was that my water SUCKED so I ended up building a water system I could afford and still get the job done. I installed 2 one foot aquarium bubble bars inside the water container for aeration and then a filter that I hook up to a hose. Perhaps down the road I will install water but for now this is what I have going:
B06A4473-FC79-41B7-AD2E-55784D5A4C78.jpeg
Well that’s it for now, it’s all still a work in progress (like my life).

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:47 am
by deran
cute
i had the same plastic monstrum as the nutrient tank solution, just hadnt the faucet below and was black in color, afaik originally its used to make sour kraut :D

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:22 pm
by Intrinsic
Cool. Nothing to add, just cool update, thanks

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:10 am
by rSin

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:44 am
by Oldjoints
My new project is a deck in front of the house. Been using unstable crap steps since I have been here:
D3F479EE-579D-489C-A7FF-94E94E2E5E81.jpeg

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:31 am
by Jesús Malverde
That grow set-up is so nicely done. I know I'm late commenting on it, but it just stands out.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:24 pm
by Oldjoints
Much appreciated, thanks....

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:58 am
by bentech
hows that deck coming???

your old steps give me shudders...

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:17 am
by Oldjoints
Still working on it. I have the basic deck built, the steps are built, have to pretty it all up yet. I am working on the landing right now. Unfortunately Mother Nature has decided to throw a monkey wrench in by bringing in cold, ice, and rain so haven’t been able to work on it for days. I will post a few pics when I get the landing finished.
And yes I fell off those steps last winter due to ice and screwed up my shoulder.

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:02 am
by Oldjoints
I am far from done but have the basic deck in place. Still have to put the kickers in the stairs, and the fillers in between posts, skirting and paint. So here is what I have so far:
F6C19006-B309-4DA9-978A-7D14EA0B393D.jpeg
B49B95C7-622D-4388-849E-C4D36394900D.jpeg
39BF2505-13D8-41F6-B697-F1B11B1CFEAE.jpeg
B416FECE-7366-4A01-88CD-A361DB2AA47B.jpeg

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:42 am
by Intrinsic
Holy dingo's that's nice. a nice place enjoy a Brew at sunset. is that Landing cement or wood?

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:07 pm
by Oldjoints
It’s wood but when finished will have natural stone set in cement in front of it.

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:47 pm
by rSin
You really built out those post tops. Pretty much all i see is the 2x6 screwed down to them with a 2x4 on edge right under...

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:36 am
by Oldjoints
The 2x4 boxes at the top of the posts were put there for stability. I didn’t like the idea of a 2x8 being held in place by 2 screws 2” apart in the 4x4. Plus I just liked the look it created.

Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:50 pm
by Oldjoints
Ok so weather here is turning so figured I better paint what I’ve got done before it gets to cold to do so. Still have to finish skirting and figure out how to decorate between posts on the deck.
Here is what it looks like now:
88BB76C8-B58C-406E-9C91-3CDDC5B7BEA7.jpeg

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:46 pm
by WhiteHotAfterburner
Oldjoints wrote:Working on my detached garage to accommodate a veg and flower room and a woodworking shop. The previous owner in their wisdom pulled out all the electric out of the building because someone tried to break into it and she assumed it was to strip out the wiring to scrap. So now I have to re-wire the building completely including the main feed, breaker box and all circuits. Then insulate and install drywall and build my two grow rooms. I am also removing the garage door and building a wall where the garage door was.

Here is a pic of the garage, and the mess of me tearing shit out:
Hey Oldjoints :wave: !

Great looking space! Your work looks awesome!

I too have decided to get back into woodworking. But, more importantly, I'm also going to get back to growing. It's legal here now but I'm not too keen on having some government official traipsing around my place so I don't think I'm going to get the card.

I live here now; a 1924 Brick Schoolhouse (double stacked brick - two stacks+ thick). It's generally a 30'x30' except for those two inside corners. Behind the door is a vestibule and behind those two windows is what used to be a "cloak room" and is now a bathroom. The main space is about 22'x30'.

It was uninhabitable a couple of years ago. My niece put a bunch of work into it then she moved. It was offered to me and I gratefully accepted (it''s on my brother's acreage). I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do with the floorplan (where I will grow, where I will rest) but as it is now she built a loft but no way to access the loft. The first thing I built was a Modified Ship's Ladder.

There is no garage or an outbuilding suitable for growing, so I'll either put it under the loft or maybe in the attic. The place still needs A LOT of work. Woodworking will be part of that.

I look forward to your progress here in both areas, growing and building!

Great job!

:smoke:

:wave:,
WHAB

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:33 pm
by Oldjoints
Hey WHAB!

Nice looking digs on the schoolhouse. Not a lot of space to work with but if it has good bones you would be surprised what could be done. Be glad to help in any way I can.
Glad to hear you are going to get back into the grow game. Stay safe and be well brother....

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:16 pm
by WhiteHotAfterburner
Oldjoints wrote:Hey WHAB!

Nice looking digs on the schoolhouse. Not a lot of space to work with but if it has good bones you would be surprised what could be done. Be glad to help in any way I can.
Glad to hear you are going to get back into the grow game. Stay safe and be well brother....
Thanks, my friend! I like the building A LOT. I like the history of it. To the left of the door, up on the wall is a placard denoting the date it was built. Pretty neat!

I'll be posting a thread on both, the grow and the woodworking.

Are you posting your woodworking here? I mean do you have a thread dedicated to woodworking here?

I'm interested in seeing what you've got going on. What direction you're going. I do seriously like the long cabinet and especially your grow cabinet!!!

I have several full extension slides I'm looking to put into something and your grow shelving is quite innovative! Nice work!

This is 110bf of Red Oak I acquired from a Amish mill for one job (the deteriorated fascia) and decided not to use it for that. I was supposed to be picking up White Oak for the fascia but Red Oak was on the top of the stack and I didn't know at that time that Red Oak isn't good in a horizontal orientation. I can make other things out of it. This place as exactly one "Kitchen" drawer. It is serious need for a kitchen build, for starters.

I really am interested in what you're doing...not just blowing smoke up your skirt! :wink:

Thank you, and you too, brother! :tup:

***not my RV. not my boat***

:smoke:

:wave:,
WHAB

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:28 pm
by rSin
WellWell! Good to see ya old timer! Your ears must be burn as your name passed in discussing what hardle post members we should be looking. Say, ive spent alot of time researching kitchen design so id be happy to help with your floor plan. Although not the current rage galley kitchen are quite serviceable and excepional at saving square footage! Dont forget to start a few threads as would love to see what your thinking thes day! Shncerely, bentt

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:51 pm
by Oldjoints
Nope I have no thread on things I’ve built except for a couple of guitars I posted. I pretty much try to stay on topic.
And my grow is getting larger and taking up more and more space as I except caretaker for more folks.
And as Ben said I am sure together we could all come up with a good floor plan and that’s the place to start. And if not to far away I would come and give you a hand. I have done quite a bit of building and re-modeling.

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:00 pm
by WhiteHotAfterburner
rSin wrote:WellWell! Good to see ya old timer! Your ears must be burn as your name passed in discussing what hardle post members we should be looking. Say, ive spent alot of time researching kitchen design so id be happy to help with your floor plan. Although not the current rage galley kitchen are quite serviceable and excepional at saving square footage! Dont forget to start a few threads as would love to see what your thinking thes day! Shncerely, bentt
Good to see you too, friend! :rockon:

This is a different and potentially difficult situation to deal with. I'll save it for a Woodworking thread (I'm currently composing in my Thought Process Machine). The loft is built. Not how I would have done it. There is a huge (humongous!) island in the "kitchen" area (I'm going to reduce its size to a more manageable island). The "kitchen" sink is in the wrong place (staring at a wall - on the only wall were one would typically put counters and cabinets). Parts of the interior walls aren't not very stable and I may not be able to attach cabinets to them). One part reminds me of a wall you might find at the Alamo :-) I'm glad my niece saved it. I'd like to keep it BUT it is still crumbling and I can't figure out a way to save it. I know I can't hang cabinets on it. I was thinking free-standing cabinets (not attached to any wall) uppers and lowers. Right now, I've been correcting some things that was not done correctly :frown: :-) Oh, there were no ceiling lights in here :frown: :crazy: :-)

But, I don't want to hijack my friends thread on my plans. *apologies Oldjoints!*

I'll leave with one picture here showing the island (where I am going to move the sink to, btw). It's 4'9"x6'. Not sure what in hell she was thinking! :-) That was the first day I walked into the place to take up residency. That fridge is no longer here.

*also: note the painting on the knee wall up on the loft. It's a painting that was given to my niece when they saw she was working on it. It's a painting that was done a very long time ago. Also: the blue part of the loft knee wall IS the tin that was on the ceiling here. Most of it was deteriorated. She saved that bit of it. The wood on the side of the loft wall is the old floorboards she saved out of the schoolhouse*

:toker1:

:wave:

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:30 pm
by WhiteHotAfterburner
Oldjoints wrote:Nope I have no thread on things I’ve built except for a couple of guitars I posted. I pretty much try to stay on topic.
And my grow is getting larger and taking up more and more space as I except caretaker for more folks.
And as Ben said I am sure together we could all come up with a good floor plan and that’s the place to start. And if not to far away I would come and give you a hand. I have done quite a bit of building and re-modeling.
It is unfortunate you, or anyone else for that matter, has not started a woodworking thread. I would think it would be of interest to quite a few people. Maybe 'we' can break the mold! :-) I would find your woodworking interesting.

Your grow is awesome, man! I'm glad to hear you're taking care of peeps that need it! Good on ya!

I'm in South West Missouri. I don't have a clue as to your general location. Whether or not you can make it over here or not - I do sincerely appreciate the generous offer, my friend! :tup: :toker1:

I'm trying to get things done what wasn't done correctly the first time and do them in the order in which they need to be done. There is virtually no insulation in the attic. They put 'some' 15 inch batt insulation in 24 inch bays :facepalm:

In the picture I posted you can see gaps in the ceiling panels they put up :facepalm: Being Winter here, I'm watching $$$ escape out of those gaps :frown: :crazy:

But, like I said, in the order in which they should be done. I had to put lights in before I could even consider insulating to attic. I can't insulate the attic until the fascia is fixed (it's the entire fascia that needs to be replaced and why I bought the lumber I thought I needed). Wind and weather has easy and open access to the attic and everything that comes with that. Feathered animal and more....

I don't want to hijack your thread, my friend. It was never intended to even get this far.

I will start a thread soon and we can all get a grasp of things there :wink: Also, I'm doing this all on a limited budget as I can afford it.

Sincere regards,
WHAB