Page 1 of 1

LEDs

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:24 pm
by Prawn Connery
They seem to work OK. I'm limited on space at the moment, so have to make this attic grow work in a 4'x2 space. Schooled myself on LEDs and built this jigger out of a bunch of Samsung strips and a couple of 240W Mean Well drivers. Pulls up to 520 watts (Mean Wells can be overdriven) with 3000K light and about 187 lumens per watt, so should be the equivalent of a 600HPS vertical grow, as LED light is all downlight - not reflected.

I guess I'll find out in a couple of months. Strains are Sensi Star and Acid, all feminised. Lights were flipped at 24 days for the Acid and 17 days for the Sensi Star. I was a bit slow out of the gate with the Acid, which is why the Sensi Star caught up even though I popped the seeds a week later.
1week4days.jpg
1week4daysLeds.jpg
Here they all are at 1 week and 4 days of flower. So about a month from seed for the Acid and three weeks from seed for the Sensi Star. Considering I've been hand-feeding them in coco until a couple of days ago, I'm impressed with the LED performance. Once I get this thing dialled in, I reckon it will give the vertical HPS a run for its money.

Best thing about them is nice, even canopy light and heat distribution. Oh, and no more bulbs to buy nor degrade over time. Total cost for this lot was about US$300 including leds, drivers, aluminium frames and wiring. Quite a bit more than a basic 600w HPS but prices are coming down and LED efficiency is going up all the time, so I had to start somewhere. I reckon in a few years, these types of builds will be similar in price to HIDs.

LEDs

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:08 pm
by dill786
they look healthy and lush

what are drivers?

i have a sensi star growing right now a clone but the seeds were from paradise seeds, i am at day 33 of flower and its looking good

LEDs

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:40 pm
by Prawn Connery
Bit like ballasts. They supply/control the current and voltage. They're dimmable, so you can turn them up or down. I'm running these flowering LEDs at about 75% power at the moment. I run my veg light (below) at 65%. Running them at a lower output makes them more efficient with less heat generated. They also last longer (heat kills LEDs). But it's only a small increase in efficiency, so there comes a point where you're better off just running them at higher power to get the most out of them for flowering, while you can turn them down in veg to control growth or if you only have a few mother plants or clones to maintain.
LEDlights.jpg
LEDtop.jpg
LEDplants.jpg
Here they all are just over a week ago, before I moved them to the flowering tent. Sensi Star's a good old strain. There may be better these days, but it's hard to go wrong with it. There are a few different pheno types - a real leafy indica, a leafy hybrid and a lemon sativa - and yields vary greatly between the different phenos, but pretty much all are potent in their own way and never a waste of time to grow.

These are the first femmed Sensi Star seeds I've grown, so it will be interesting to see how they do. They are certainly growing fast and don't seem to be as nute sensitive as the old (original) seeds. I still have some of the original (non-femmed) seeds left, so I might make some F2s one day, as Luc only sells femmed versions these days.

LEDs

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:45 pm
by Prawn Connery
I should add that for the first time in a long time I started seeing nutrient deficiencies (mainly Calcium, which affects phosphorous uptake, and magnesium), as the plants are growing like bastards under the LEDs and I was too conservative with my nutrient regime. But better to slightly underfeed than overfeed when they're young.

LEDs

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:02 pm
by DD Ramone
They are looking gorgeous to me...Fat and Juicy!

Grow On!

LEDs

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:05 am
by MadMoonMan
But how well will they flower?

LEDs

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:20 am
by Prawn Connery
That's the $64,000 question. I'm hoping I flipped them at the right time and they don't overgrow the tent.

LEDs

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:27 am
by bentech
that frame holding the strips looks impeccable!

you must have a metal chopbox
or quite the hand with the hacksaw...

LEDs

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:28 pm
by Prawn Connery
Nah. I ordered everything to length (4x 600mm of 40x25x3mm U channel, plus 2x 460mm of 25x20x3mm L channel to hold the frame together) and drilled and screwed it all myself. I also did the wiring, of course.
Vegstripfront.jpg
The veg frame above is 4x 2' Samsung F Series strips in 5000K, which are double-row (144 diodes) and 48v/1.8a per strip. I wired them in parallel and hooked everything up to a Mean Well HLG-240H-48A driver. The A series drivers have adjustable voltage and current. Technically they are a constant voltage driver, but when operated at 48v or less, they act as a constant current driver. I have the veg frame dialed down to about 210w, or 65% of diode capacity.
FloweringFrames.jpg
The flowering frame is actually two frames, each very similar to the veg frame. This time I used 12x 2' Samsung H Series strips in 3000K, which are single row (48 diodes) and 23v/1.2a per strip. I mounted two of these strips per U channel (96 diodes total) and wired two in series and six in parallel hooked to exactly the same 240H-48A driver. Each flowering frame has the same number of diodes as the veg frame, but mounted over six instead of four U channels for better distribution.

The flowering frames are bolted together to form one 4' x 2' frame (actually 1170mm x 500mm), with one 240H-48A driver at either end for a total of 520w (overdriven).

All three (veg and 2 flowering) frames are 48v/7.2a capacity for a total of 345.6w, but as mentioned, I run the veg frame at 210w (65%) and the two flowering frames at 260w (overdriven) each, for 75% diode capacity.

Here are the flowering lights when I first set up the tent:
1weekNewlights.jpg
1weekNewlightsTop.jpg
I wanted something flexible so that I could bolt together and pull apart each frame as required. I have plans to eventually go vertical LED, with one frame at either end of the tent, and four plants in the middle. That's not going to happen for a few grows yet. I'm just experimenting with the LEDs first to see how they do.

So far, I like them. :toker1:

LEDs

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:31 pm
by Prawn Connery
In case you're wondering, everything is drip-fed run-to-waste straight coco using organic-based hydro nutes. The reservoir has a bypass which sprays back into the tank to mix and aerate my nutrient solution every time the pump comes on (five times every 12-hour lights-on period).

Same pots and everything as my old vertical set-up that used to produce 1.3-1.4gpw.

LEDs

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:19 am
by nobodyknew
Been wondering about LED's myself - following this one with interest

LEDs

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:52 pm
by Prawn Connery
To answer a question from ben, those are two-gallon pots with straight coco, each being fed half to one litre of nutrient solution a day. That varies, of course, due to weather and stage of growth. When it's hot and the girls are in full bloom, they might drink up to 2 litres (half gallon) each a day.

LEDs

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:14 am
by deran
Awesome show!
A big thx from the bottom of my heart!

RE the calcium
That's a known issue with LEDs, due to the missing wavelengths past the red PAR spectrum
Separately increasing Ca , with a cal-mag like product, the higher the ratio Ca:Mg, the better of course .. , pump it up by an EC of 0,3 , as your very first compound when mixing your solution, solves most strains, separately increasing temperature by 3-4 C , compared to hps ideal, helps too "adjusting" those issues, its simple, just juggle your knobs towards your wanted output

Gogogo!

:popcorn:
:woohoo:

LEDs

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:44 pm
by Intrinsic
:popcorn: woohoo Plants and tech ... my favorite combo.

LEDs

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:54 am
by Prawn Connery
MadMoonMan wrote:But how well will they flower?
Prawn Connery wrote:That's the $64,000 question. I'm hoping I flipped them at the right time and they don't overgrow the tent.
Damn you! :emp:

Two weeks and two days of 12/12 and they're still going mental.
2weeks2daysB.jpg
2weeks2days.jpg
2weeks2daysA.jpg

LEDs

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:52 pm
by Jesús Malverde
I'll be following. LEDs in the flower room are just recently getting a real try in the legal grow industry here. I mentioned in earlier that I bought some Amnesia haze grown completely under LEDs and it looked good and had potency, but the bud had a kind of a weird gummy texture and didn't smoke particularly well. Could have been at least partly the cure to blame too though I guess. I'm still waiting to find some LED-flowered stuff that ticks all the boxes.

LEDs

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:37 pm
by Prawn Connery
deran wrote:Awesome show!
A big thx from the bottom of my heart!

RE the calcium
That's a known issue with LEDs, due to the missing wavelengths past the red PAR spectrum
Separately increasing Ca , with a cal-mag like product, the higher the ratio Ca:Mg, the better of course .. , pump it up by an EC of 0,3 , as your very first compound when mixing your solution, solves most strains, separately increasing temperature by 3-4 C , compared to hps ideal, helps too "adjusting" those issues, its simple, just juggle your knobs towards your wanted output

Gogogo!

:popcorn:
:woohoo:
coco2.jpg
I'm using pre-buffered (Ca Mg) coco, plus a very good coco nutrient that has an N-P-K-Ca-Mg ratio of about 15-3-20-8-3. As long as I feed them properly, they seem to do well. CX has a mineral-based Part A and an organic-based Part B. Temps are already quite warm here - 30-35C inside the grow tent.

The Monster Bud on the left is a single part organic flowering nutrient with lots of aminos, fulvic and humic acids with an N-P-K-Ca-MG of 15-11-18-4-2 - I use it as a P supplement after 2-3 weeks of flowering. It seems to mix well with the CX. I've used the same formula for years, including the Budlink silica additive. This is pretty much all I use.

I even use CX flowering nutes for veg. With run-to-waste, it doesn't matter - the plant takes what it needs and the rest gets flushed.

LEDs

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:03 pm
by Prawn Connery
Week3halfB.jpg
Just over three-and-half weeks and starting to bud up a bit. Be interesting to see how they flowering. LEDs are fucking bright, but I can still get them inches away from the plants without burning them.

LEDs

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:50 pm
by Prawn Connery
Week3halfD.jpg
Week3halfC.jpg

LEDs

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:51 pm
by Prawn Connery
It feels weird growing horizontally.

LEDs

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:31 pm
by Prawn Connery
4halfweeks.jpg
4weekshalfC.jpg
4weekshalfD.jpg
AFrame3.jpg
4 and a half weeks of flowering. I split the frames to handle the different heights.

LEDs

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:02 pm
by dill786
they look awesome !!! they are coming along really well

you have no carbon filter?? couldn't see it in any of the previous pics?

LEDs

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:03 am
by Prawn Connery
There's one in there above the highest LED frame - you just can't see it in the pix.

LEDs

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:49 am
by christophera
wow she looks really good!

I am also planning to grow indoor!
christopher

LEDs

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:25 pm
by Prawn Connery
Thanks Christopher Andrews. The really weird thing is, you have a very English sounding name, but your website makes you sound like a Chinese! Are you sure your name isn't Christopher Wang?

LEDs

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:03 am
by nobodyknew
Looking good - has it met your expectations thus far..??

LEDs

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:22 am
by Prawn Connery
Yeah. And then some. There's not a lot of heat coming off the LEDs and some of the buds are starting to bleach from the intensity. I had to turn down the power on them from a measured 560w to 480w - or 70w a square foot to 60w - but they're still kicking arse. I'm at 5 weeks and the buds are swelling and some of the plants are starting to get frosty. I'll post some pix a bit later.

LEDs

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:20 am
by cannaboy420
wow, the ladies looks very great, just use the white led light?

LEDs

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:44 pm
by Prawn Connery
Yes Christopher Andrews, just the white LED. Have you got something to spam today?

LEDs

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:47 pm
by Intrinsic
Cool pics, cool plants, cool thread, good info and all that jazz.

I'm injecting some advice, musings from my flouro grows to add more work. :mrgreen:
or spam depending yer point of reference.

I considered my grow style with flouros would be suited to LED growing. Since both lights have lower light penetration then HIDs (i think that's true?); but both lights can be lowered right on 'em. more efficient.
So here is the extra work, Train the plants into an even low canopy.
Nov 26A.jpg
Thus the lights can remain right on 'em.
Nov26LightRack.jpg
Carry it through the stretch
Jan08All.JPG
And end with even sea of colas with the light still right on 'em.
Jan27D.JPG
I thought I throw it out fwiw.

LEDs

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:51 am
by Prawn Connery
Mate, get some Samsung or other strips and mount them the same way as your fluoros - they will kick arse! You can get them in 3000K, too, which will be better for flowering.

Here are mine at six weeks.
6weeksTall.jpg
6weeksflash.jpg

LEDs

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:53 am
by Prawn Connery
Seeing as we're both growing in attics . . .
6weekslight.jpg

LEDs

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:22 pm
by dill786
wow amazing growth!!

them 2 stems on the right have gone mental !!! :toker1:

LEDs

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:07 am
by cannaboy420
Intrinsic wrote:Cool pics, cool plants, cool thread, good info and all that jazz.

I'm injecting some advice, musings from my flouro grows to add more work. :mrgreen:
or spam depending yer point of reference.

I considered my grow style with flouros would be suited to LED growing. Since both lights have lower light penetration then HIDs (i think that's true?); but both lights can be lowered right on 'em. more efficient.
So here is the extra work, Train the plants into an even low canopy.
Nov 26A.jpg
Thus the lights can remain right on 'em.
Nov26LightRack.jpg
Carry it through the stretch
Jan08All.JPG
And end with even sea of colas with the light still right on 'em.
Jan27D.JPG
I thought I throw it out fwiw.
:tup: looks great, keep update

LEDs

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:00 am
by Prawn Connery
There are another two colas to the right of those that are obscured by the wooden A frame.
6weeksLights2.jpg
6weeksflash2.jpg

LEDs

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:29 am
by cannaboy420
Prawn Connery wrote:There are another two colas to the right of those that are obscured by the wooden A frame.
6weeksLights2.jpg
6weeksflash2.jpg
:tup:

LEDs

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:55 am
by dill786
*bump

LEDs

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:59 am
by Prawn Connery
Harvest time

The Acids front and in the corner behind will get the chop at the end of this week. The Sensi Stars either side won't be ready until the end of next week.
8weeks2days.jpg
The two plants on the very left have been harvested, leaving six plants still growing. Two more will get the chop tomorrow.
8weeks2daysleft.jpg
Cola from one of the Acid plants. The two plants should yield 4-5oz.
Acid3Bud.jpg
I smoked some finger hash and it's creeper gear. Quite a clear, lucid stone, but not that potent. It will obviously get better with a cure, but hopefully I'll find a keeper or two in the others.

LEDs

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:32 pm
by Intrinsic
Beautiful.

but wait .. so you started the Acid in beginning of November(?) and finished end of January? 3 months or less. is that right? impressive. for LEDS, or jes yer mad growing skillz.

Some quick extrapolation gives .. say a even 16oz final yield .. conservatively, add a little math .. and ..that would be (16*28)/520 = .86 G/W.

oh and by the by: :woohoo:

LEDs

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:35 pm
by Jesús Malverde
Looks the shit, hope it cures up nice for you.

LEDs

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:12 am
by Prawn Connery
Intrinsic wrote:Beautiful.

but wait .. so you started the Acid in beginning of November(?) and finished end of January? 3 months or less. is that right? impressive. for LEDS, or jes yer mad growing skillz.

Some quick extrapolation gives .. say a even 16oz final yield .. conservatively, add a little math .. and ..that would be (16*28)/520 = .86 G/W.

oh and by the by: :woohoo:
Except I'm running them at 400w now. 520 was too much and bleached the buds. I had to keep turning them down to find the best power and ended up at 400w total (200w per frame), or 50w per square foot. They are much more powerful than I thought they would be. I'm hoping to do better next run, as this was my first LED (and horizontal) grow and I am still dialling it in. Had some drainage issues early and later on (loose coco blocked the hoses).

Also, I overestimated how much those last two yielded: I only got 3.5oz from them. However, they were the smallest plants, so I've got a few bigger ones getting the chop tomorrow. If I get a pound from this grow, I'll be happy. But ultimately I'd like to be pulling 20oz or more from this set-up once I have a few decent clones and everything dialled in.

LEDs

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:33 pm
by Prawn Connery
LEDs kick arse
IMG_3822.JPG

LEDs

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:39 am
by bentech
im hoping theres an array in my stocking this year...

LEDs

Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:09 am
by webeblzr
I know there is an array in my stocking this year!!
A big Thank You to Prawn and GLA for enduring my fantastic ability to fuck super simple shit up, again, and again, well past FUBAR.