Just another white widow thread

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:49 pm
by Irwin the Troll
45 days in reg potting soil. 2gal pot.
Start off pretty scraggly but the buds develop

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:35 pm
by MadMoonMan
There is no such thing as "just another" white widow thread. With such a wondrous plant it makes it "Another valuable white widow thread."

:)

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:50 pm
by MadMoonMan
I grew my first plant under a 100 watt light bulb in high school when I found my first seed. Put a praying mantis in with it who and we seemed to communicate became friends I'd blow smoke into his chamber one day he was gone. Left. Haven't seen him to this day. I like to think she. Is out there safe somewhere and wandering around from pot plant to pot plants aroung the world. Consuming the evil plant parasites of the world and making lots of babies while consuming her husbands.

I like to think she allways liked me best since she didn't eat me.

Obviously, since I'm here typing this story.

The point being. With every plant grown since then its been an ever learning process. I've learned something with every single grow to this day.

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:00 pm
by deran
tell me plz more about the gentics , whos are they ?

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:21 pm
by MadMoonMan
Sorry, you mean where did white widow genetics come from? or White Russian? Or that first seed? in 1969.

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:25 pm
by MadMoonMan
Super Silver Haze?

Neville and his castle?

Where does anything begin?

Acid?

Is that you Owsley Stanley III

It begins at free thought and earnest search for truth in the universe.

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:30 pm
by MadMoonMan
For all the drugs that I have tested over my time. In pursuit of truth. Not that I would become stronger wiser smarter. More proficient at hand ball for 15 minutes. Not an ability able to be sustained and maintained by continued application over time. You have to sleep sometime.

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:33 pm
by MadMoonMan
There is no hiding from yourself.

Not if you wake up every morning and look at yourself in the mirror.

Whether you shave or not.

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:30 pm
by Munchy
nice bud! :tup:

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:37 pm
by Irwin the Troll
These white widow seeds were from Seedsman, regular pack of 10

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:12 pm
by Irwin the Troll
ATM, I have
1 ww f 49 days in
2 ww cloned f 14 days in
3 Tang. Dream clones in rooting chamber
1 ww mom
1 Tangerine Dream mom
6 ww seeds reg
100+ ww/m X td/f seeds
50+ ww/m X auto mazar/f seeds

I havent tried to germ any of the seeds, I crossed, but will make a thread when I do, if successful. They were crossed late, so I am not sure if seeds matured enough?.

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:02 pm
by deran
curious bc there has been progression within the breeding of WW

as you all know, shantibaba is supposed to have the original (with their parental stock) , which is now called black widow
but it seems to have changed compared to what white widow was in the mid 90s .. if you are looking for that phenotype, which is less stony more sativa, and more fruity/flower like in smell, i heard that the version from dutch passion is the way to go, as somebody from their company managed to steal / grab / pinch off a cut of the cup winning mom / genetics, which were shown and presented at one of the cups in amsterdam .. hightimes cup or highlife or whatever
if you prefer more the taste and less the effect, i heard ingemar and his numerous white widow and widow "clones" are the way to go, also they are more rigid and pest resistant than the other products
further more , luc from paradise seeds, our old sponsor, you might remember him ... has an IBL version of the widow which is supposed to be the real deal in terms of effect and stoned and high, as it was inline bred and further refined, with the right perspectives and goals in mind

and least but not last, i got in the fridge an official F2 version from blimburn seeds, its makup reads ww F1 X ww F1 , more infos on the parents will come with time, when i dive into em, except somebody in here is bitin his fingernails, i could ask this spanish seed bank for more infos about their gentics

so irwin

seedsman is just a vendor, not the breeder, and thats whats most important, not the place where you can buy it, the place / ppl who are producing it ...

boom shakar !

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:48 pm
by MadMoonMan
I try to go with original breeders as best I can over the years.

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:50 pm
by MadMoonMan
What I'm saying is there is a noticeable genetic drift. Whether its good or bad Is another story.

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:17 pm
by Prawn Connery
deran wrote:boom shakar !
Haha! I used to hang out with a couple of Indian "babas" when I lived in Hong Kong in the early 90s and all they ever said was "Boom Shanka!" every time they lit up!

"Boom Baba! Pass the chilom . . ." :toker1:

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:29 pm
by Prawn Connery
Hey Irwin, is that the WW you had in the other thread? It's looking good, man. Have you repotted it yet? ;)

Luc's WW was bred from Ingemar originals. I'm also pretty certain that Nebula is a WW cross from that same stock.

deran, what's your take on Ingemar vs Shanti?

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:18 pm
by deran
hey mate

id like respond with my own opinion, which is impossible bc i havent had shantis genetics below the bulb, but as you all might know, im also a member over at mrnice forums, and ive become slightly skeptical reading black widow threads over there, speaking of hermies, low yields and even sometimes bad potency ... while all other variables arent fixed, sativa high, indica high, mixed high, good yield, low yield, etc etc ...
compared to those widdows i had and i have "managed" at other places shantis are (only by looks) darker with more chlorophyll, less stretchy with slighty shorter internode distances, but with the known limby fragile structure and the buds arent anymore pyramid like sativa towers, similiar like c99, they have become more cylindrical without the top tip, furthermore the crystalline appearance has changed, its still the same amount, but seemed to disappear from the large fan leafs ... bc that was the special thing about her, what nobody has seen before the widdow in europe .. crystals on large fan leafs ... but hey, they are gone again .. lasted just for 20 years ... lol
wihtout a doubt there is more indica genes in shantis widows, but not having grown her i cant say more

nebula was fuckin sweet, one of the sweetest buds i had, like honey, like sugar, like ambrosia, like agave honey ... delicious ... havent had that much luck with potency, but bred the nebula males to to an ice girl from nirvana, and this cross called ifog, was better than both parents in every aspect, the high itself was on par with sensi star, this bam in your face - fuck im fucked and gonna die high/stoned, wihtout tollerance build up ... a good combo, and this combo wasnt even the top of the mountain, as the ice girl wasnt the famous ice pheno, which i had too, but no male at that time, and this ice pheno of ice is even double that powerful as the pheno i had to cross

i dont know which genes are responsible for its good performance, but it isin there, in ingemars work, tho i dont know how much time is needed .. thats another story

i cant make my mind up, for curiousity sakes id put this ranking up:

paradise: ww IBL
dutch passion: ww
shantis: bw

dutch passion will always be a winner, as its at least a bx1 , the stolen cut was bred with males from bought ww seed packs
depending how much work has beed done to make an IBL , different ppl will different definitions , at least a F4 , for me F8 an onwards, with good work, why not
and shanti , well its gonna be a surprise, bc when you read the rest of the forums, many question marks arise ones head, blinking WTF ??? in stereo ...

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:55 am
by Prawn Connery
Nebula was the first Dutch strain I ever grew. Indeed, the first seeds I ever bought online - from Gypsy. In fact, I emailed him what I was looking for and he suggested Nebula. Some people might be a bit surprised that I ordered from Gypsy over the years, but I never had an issue doing business with him. I didn't have a lot of luck with his free Skunk#1 seeds . . . but hell, they were free, so what did I expect?

It was also through Gypsy I learned about OG in 2001.

Now, it's hard for me to comment on something I grew once, more than 15 years ago (I do recall it was sweet, like you said, and a very pleasant mix of slightly more sativa than indica), but some years later Luc gifted me a cross called "Nebulaze", which was a female Nebula/male SSH pairing. It was a bit variable, but I remember one pheno - which I continued to grow out for a while - was very SSH dominant with an incredible lemon-haze/metallic taste and an awesome head high. It took 12 weeks to finish, but was a huge producer. I also grew out Luc's "Super Sensi Star", which was the same SSH father crossed to a Sensi Star mother. One of these phenos also took up regular rotation in my grow room until I learned (after some time) that it was pollinating my other plants. Never found any male sacks on it, but as soon as I took it out of rotation, the seeding stopped (it was only mild seeding, so must have been one or two random male flowers). Luc did warn me about the possibility of hermaphrodism in both crosses from the SSH side, but the Nebulaze never hermed.

The Super Sensi Star was up with the most potent indoor strains I've grown and had a sweet, hazy lemon-berry (more like strawberry) flavour to it with a good combination of towering head high and relaxing body stone. The buds were haze-like, with long, sticky branches and a 10-11 week flowering time. The Nebulaze was more like little golf-ball buds stacked on top of each other to form foxtail-shaped branches.

Probably my favourite strain that I grew for years, and which everybody seemed to love (including myself!), was another Luc test-batch called "Sweet Haze" which I think was a Neville's Haze cross with an indica. Very short flowering for a mainly haze - 10-11 weeks - with a real catpiss stank to it. I nick-named it "Stinky Catpiss Haze", and the name stuck. It was then-on referred to as simply "Stinky Catpiss". It was day-time only smoke - unless you wanted to party all night - with an electric high that was all in the head and never a dull or lazy moment. One day, I went on a pub crawl with some of my mates and ate a couple of hash-cookies for breakfast on an empty stomach, then punched a few bucket bongs of Stinky Catpiss, then went outside higher than a fucking kite. I mean, so fucking high I don't know how I managed to walk down the street. Then the cookies kicked in.

At the first pub, I drank coke and sat in a corner with all my mates standing around laughing at the silly grin I had on my face - I didn't talk much, as you can imagine. At the second pub, a friend offered me a beer. I said "No, I shouldn't drink anything until I start to come down". He said "Go on, no-one else will drink it". So I drank it. At the third pub, one of my mates had to walk me outside and put me a cab home. I was fucked. I got home and my wife said "What happened?". I said "Alcohol" and went and lay down for four hours. The next day, the friend who had put me in a cab said he'd never seen me so white, and that I'd fainted in the street before getting in the cab. That's the worst I've ever been, but I still maintain if I hadn't drunk anything, I would have been OK after a couple of hours. I guess that kind of defeats the purpose of going on a pub crawl, though . . .

And that's pretty much the extent of my experience with Nev/Shanti strains, as they've all come to me by way of Luc crosses - none of which were ever commercially available. I do have some MNS Mango Haze in the fridge (for when I start growing again), and did grow out some CBD Skunk-Haze once, but wasn't that impressed. My wife is a med user, and the CBD strain didn't really help her as much as some of the blue strains I've grown (DJ Short's F13 being one of her favourite - though the F13 is a bit of a disaster IMO, apart from the high, which is not very strong or long-lasting).

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:34 pm
by deran
shantis mango haze = lucs delahaze ;)

nebula x haze, still available in austria at flowery fields shop, as well as the famous lemon metal sensi star pheno yay ;)

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:11 am
by Prawn Connery
Yeah, I understand it's Lemon Skunk x Mango Haze. When you look at photos of it, it sure looks like an SSH type plant.

I'm pretty sure my Stinky Catpiss haze is closely related to what is now commercially available as Atomical Haze. The photos on Luc's website are almost identical to what mine looked like, and I seem to recall Luc telling me they had at least one of the same parents (Neville's Haze). The Stinky Catpiss is not sweet at all (except for an underlying rotten fruit stench with a touch of aniseed) - it is almost pure, sour-stinky haze. It was the only pheno in a 10-pack of femmed test seeds that wasn't sweet like the others (the test pack was labelled "Sweet Haze").
gallery_1310_875_143432.jpeg
This one was was grown in an early incarnation of my vertical set-up and was only half a pound. Later, I would harvest up to a pound (15oz, actually - average 12oz) per plant in those same pots.

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:15 am
by Irwin the Troll
That's a beautiful tree. How long did you veg ?

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:28 pm
by Prawn Connery
If memory serves me correct (that pic is about 10 years old now - I don't keep grow pix and just rely on those I've put online over the years), that would have been vegged for maybe 6 weeks after cloning, but would have been seriously pruned before going into flower.

My usual rotation was about 8-10 weeks, which meant I would prune all my vegged plants for clones, put them into flower, strike the clones (1-2 weeks), and then veg the clones for 6 weeks or so under a 250w MH until the flowering plants were ready for harvest and start all over again. Most of my sativas would veg like bastards, so were savagely cut before going into flower to not only branch them for better yield, but prevent them outgrowing my cabinet. The indicas I would let grow tall and prune from the sides, so they would not be too fat for my vertical set-up.

I never kept mother plants, and would clone from generation to generation to keep my plant numbers down (a necessity in my part of the world), but I would also give out as many of my favourite clones as I could to ensure I didn't lose my genetics. Alas, I had to give up growing almost three years ago and lost all my favourite plants (although I believe one Sensi Star cut may still be doing the rounds somewhere). I've still got shit-loads of seeds, of course - some almost 15 years old (I don't know how viable they are, but they've always been refrigerated) - and I've collected some interesting genetics over the years, so if and when I ever start growing again, it will be fun to reach into my seed bank to see what I find.

Growing out seeds for clone mothers is quite an intensive exercise, but in some ways it's a bit like Christmas, waiting to see what you'll uncover next :bannana:

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:02 am
by Irwin the Troll
I saw today that Grimm Brothers is bringing back Cinderella 99 I'm pretty excited about that

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:32 am
by Prawn Connery
I saw that, too, when I was browsing Hemp Depot the other day: http://hempdepot.ca/seeds/BrothersGrimm/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They're obviously not exactly the same as the originals, and the price - fuck me! - but hey, they might be worth growing. Though I suspect, after all these years, there are better strains for the money that will do the same thing. IMO, Bros Grimm are just trying to cash in - as I'm sure they will.

From what I recall, growing out various C99 and A11 F2s and crosses over the years, nothing much struck me about them apart from low odour, fast finishing times and clear - but short-lasting - highs. I always thought it was a little bit over-rated.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:51 am
by Prawn Connery
I want to add to my previous post about veg times . . . a little trick I learned is that if you veg as long as you can and then trim your plants prior to putting them into flower - and this applies especially if you are short of space and/or head height - then you end up with a short plant with a lot of root mass that will simply explode once you hit the switch.

A lot of growers stunt their plants in veg because they don't have room to flower large trees. So they will put their clones/seedlings under fluoros, or in small pots or give them limited nutrient so they don't grow too big too fast before going into flower.

Now think about this: if you take two plants, veg one to the max, the other as above, you will end up with one huge plant and one small plant. However, if you trim the large plant, you will end up with two similar-sized plants but one of them will have a huge, established root mass. When you put both plants into flower, they will both use energy to grow, stretch and start to flower. However, the plant with the smaller root mass needs to put more energy into growing roots than the one that already has an established root system.

In my experience, once a plant has finished stretching in the first 2-3 weeks of flower, its rate of root growth slows as its flowering production increases. But it is still relying on those roots for nutrient uptake. A good root system gives the plant a head-start in the flowering phase.

So the moral of the story is, use all the time and space you have to veg your plants, then prune them as much as you think you have space for just before putting them into flower - you will maximise yields in the limited space you have.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:58 am
by deran
Prawn Connery wrote:I saw that, too, when I was browsing Hemp Depot the other day: http://hempdepot.ca/seeds/BrothersGrimm/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They're obviously not exactly the same as the originals, and the price - fuck me! - but hey, they might be worth growing. Though I suspect, after all these years, there are better strains for the money that will do the same thing. IMO, Bros Grimm are just trying to cash in - as I'm sure they will.

From what I recall, growing out various C99 and A11 F2s and crosses over the years, nothing much struck me about them apart from low odour, fast finishing times and clear - but short-lasting - highs. I always thought it was a little bit over-rated.

the bros say that they still have the Princess cut, but the male is gone, so they did actually a backcross to c99 with princess, reversed silver , as i understand it, they did the a next step in fixing traits, which is good, and ppl who have tried the new version are also all very satisfied, the tenor goes like: everything is as it has always been, color got added and a bit of yield got added too

im curious about the GENIUS - i only read about it, and what i read, and those ridiculous prices it demanded on c-bay .. there must be something to it - i mean the name genious says it all .... i want it badly !

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:59 pm
by Prawn Connery
If they used colloidal silver, they would have been femmed, no? I just read the blurb here: http://www.brothersgrimmseeds.com/cinde ... 28703cab38" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So it looks like Mr Soul dug up some old C99 stock to find a male . . . which I guess makes the new stock Princess to the power of four (quarticed?) instead of cubed. Maybe he used the same male to recreate A11?

I dunno, I know a few people really like C99 and all - and I missed out on growing the originals back in the day - but none of the C99/A11 F2s or crosses ever did it for me like like some of the haze hybrids I've grown. I guess I just prefer the extra flowering time and longer-lasting high that seems to go with them. Maybe if you're an impatient type - and don't mind dropping shit-loads of cash on 10 regular seeds - it would be worth trying again . . .

The Apollo Haze is about the only strain that piques me. It's interesting that the SSH adds "potency" to the Genius clone - which kinda confirms my initial thoughts that A11 isn't super potent to begin with:

http://www.brothersgrimmseeds.com/apollohaze/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not saying the Bros seeds are bad, just for the money I'm sure there are better.

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:31 pm
by Jesús Malverde
There's a lot of various flower on the market here sold as C99, and I gotta say most of it is pretty much right on. I grew the Joey Weed version of the plant and loved it, there's not a lot of plants with a notably sativa character that one can grow here outdoors this far north, and the JW C99 not only did that but had a very pleasant fruity smell-taste with a hint of cat pissy bitter to keep it from being cloying, and a strong, heady sativa buzz that I found very pleasant. The C99 flower in the shops is really very close to what I grew, and it's good shit. I totally got why people were so enthusiastic about the plant. Prawn's pub crawl story reminded me of an incident involving some Amnesia Haze I grew and a friend who wanted to try it after we had been out carousing a while. We took a walk and blew a joint and after about ten minutes back in the pub he was going pale (and he's Lebanese!) and needed a cab in the worst way. I warned him it was strong but the bud hadn't been properly cured yet so it tasted deceptively like Kansas ditchweed.

Our local legal rec growers seem to have a nice assortment of interesting genetics, and where they'll be usually be happy to discuss their grow methodologies and such, don't ask where their genetics are sourced from. Maybe 25% will talk, but the rest just clam up. There's a guy I kinda know here who has a line he calls Columbian Gold that is dead on right for the type. It tastes, (and works) *exactly* like the best CG from the seventies. Amazing to me. How did someone keep that line alive and going all these years? It's not something your average black market grower indoor would exactly be drawn to.

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:59 am
by Prawn Connery
Don't get me wrong - I can understand the appeal of a fast-finishing sativa high. And I've always read good things about JW's F2s. But I've yet to hear or read someone say C99 has a long-lasting high.

I guess my main bug-bear is the asking price of some of these genetics compared to others on the market. Is original C99 better than original SSH, for example? SSH retails for less than C99 in all shops and you get at least 15 (usually 18) seeds in a pack. SSH is a proper hybrid made from a large selection of genetics. C99 is - let's face it - bagseed (now backcrossed to a few left-over packs of old stock).

If a firm believer in a good plant being a good plant - no matter what the name. But these days, with so much choice and everything being crossed with everything else, how does anyone get away with asking $150+ for 10 regular seeds?!?

One of the strongest indicas I ever grew - and I was an absolute idiot for not cloning it - came from a $15 packet of SOL Adventure Mix. At the other end of the spectrum, I once paid $150 for 10 DJ Short F13 seeds and they were the scrawniest, hermiest, slowest-growing plants I ever grew. I will say the smoke was very unique and for some reason all the girls loved it (I don't know why it particularly appealed to women), but it wasn't strong, nor long-lasting. I will concede it probably has medicinal value, but . . .

. . . I'm starting to rant.

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:02 am
by Lrus007
holy hijack
lets see i had c99 till about 3-4 years ago i dropped it.
i spread it around 1st. tho. i liked the a11 better.
it has a happy high to it. great to smoke with girls.
i still have it. the c99 and a11 and a13 all are low yield.
they grow slow but bud fast.
Lrus007

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:58 am
by Prawn Connery
Haha! I know - I jacked Irwin's thread!

Who's the troll now, muthafucka??? :fubird:

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:58 pm
by Irwin the Troll
Prawn Connery wrote:Haha! I know - I jacked Irwin's thread!

Who's the troll now, muthafucka??? :fubird:
Actually it was me who brought up Cinderella 99
Irwin the Troll wrote:I saw today that Grimm Brothers is bringing back Cinderella 99 I'm pretty excited about that
you're just so long-winded it seems that way :smoke:

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:03 pm
by Irwin the Troll
Here is day 58 but she suffering some lower branch disappearance do to my insufficient supply of smoke running on eight hours of light per day I'll probably Harvest next week
IMAG1062.jpg
IMAG1061.jpg
IMAG1060.jpg
:bonghitter:

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:09 pm
by Irwin the Troll
Getting by the horrid flavor of uncured bud, the high from this lady is mostly a heady euphoria, with light body mellow relaxed effects on my back pain.... very nice

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:05 pm
by Butters
Jesús Malverde wrote:There's a lot of various flower on the market here sold as C99, and I gotta say most of it is pretty much right on. I grew the Joey Weed version of the plant and loved it, there's not a lot of plants with a notably sativa character that one can grow here outdoors this far north, and the JW C99 not only did that but had a very pleasant fruity smell-taste with a hint of cat pissy bitter to keep it from being cloying, and a strong, heady sativa buzz that I found very pleasant.
Prawn Connery wrote:Don't get me wrong - I can understand the appeal of a fast-finishing sativa high. And I've always read good things about JW's F2s. But I've yet to hear or read someone say C99 has a long-lasting high.
Hijack cont. :innocent:
fyi Joey Weed Seeds are back at HD. Not sure, but I'd imagine he's still using the same parents. I tended a lot of his stuff years ago and was never disappointed...his C99 f2's were just as good as the F1's, imo. They're already sold out, but Brad at HD says they'll restock soon.
Please excuse the interruption Irwin :smoke:

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:10 pm
by Irwin the Troll
Gypsy's f2s were phenomenal

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:01 am
by Prawn Connery
I know you're desperate for smoke, but that plant is very sativa dominant and only just getting into its stride - it easily has 2-3 weeks to go. You'll be rewarded with a better yield and high. But if you really have to harvest in a week, leave it on 12/12 and make use of the remaining time. Cutting back to 8/16 will hurt bud production more than speed it up. You could keep it on 12/12 for six days and leave it in the dark for 24+ hours to increase trichome production before harvest and still get better results. I used to leave my plants in the dark for up to 48 hours at the end.

Sorry to break it to you, but I think I jacked this thread two pages ago when I started dribbling shit about a pub crawl . . .

Troll!!!

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:08 pm
by Irwin the Troll
Well then thank you for jacking me off . :smoke: the eight hours for the last 2 weeks was something I read for the White Widow strain on Leafly just giving it a shot to see if it is correct I'll hold off as long as I can on the Harvest but I have 2 more right behind it at three weeks in flower I can let them go longer :toker1: I don't have to have the best pot in the world just the cheapest.

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:48 pm
by Prawn Connery
I don't see much point in cutting back to 8 hours, myself. You're better off just letting the plant run its natural course and maximising light and yield. More light - whether it's PAR or flowering photoperiod - always equals more yield.

I've grown a few sativas in my time (mostly all I grew), and I flowered all of them under 12/12 - waiting in some cases up to 15 weeks for them to finish. There was only one particular strain - which was an almost pure sativa I got off a grower in South Africa (not Durban - Malawi I believe) - which I needed to switch to 11/13 to get to flower faster. Even then, I'm not sure it made that much difference.

What you need to remember is that sativas are equatorial species, and in the tropics there is not a lot variance in photoperiod during the year compared to more extreme latitudes. If you are on the equator, for example, there is pretty much 12 hours of daylight every day. Sativas have evolved to flower with very subtle variances in photoperiod (which is what makes them so prone to light stress - light leaks - and hermaphrodism), so I'm not sure you need to cut back on a lot of light to affect flowering. If you want to mimic natural photoperiods in the tropics, like the onset of autumn etc, I reckon you're better off switching to 11/13 or at most 10/14.

Just my opinion (and some experience), but would love to hear from anyone who has had a different experience. Of course, extreme heat will delay flowering, and so will excess nitrogen - in addition to light stress.

Indicas are a little different, as they are a temperate species and have shorter (more extreme photoperiod variance) growing seasons

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:13 pm
by Jesús Malverde
Indicas, due to their temperate climate adaption, are generally much easier to grow indoors (or outdoors in a temperate zone). We struggled mightily growing tropical sativas, which were all we had back in the paleolithic era, under florescent lights. When the first indica seeds showed up here from the hippy trail in the late seventies, it changed everything. Sativas are a challenge outside their tropical homes.

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:13 pm
by deran
Prawn Connery wrote:Don't get me wrong - I can understand the appeal of a fast-finishing sativa high. And I've always read good things about JW's F2s. But I've yet to hear or read someone say C99 has a long-lasting high.

I guess my main bug-bear is the asking price of some of these genetics compared to others on the market. Is original C99 better than original SSH, for example? SSH retails for less than C99 in all shops and you get at least 15 (usually 18) seeds in a pack. SSH is a proper hybrid made from a large selection of genetics. C99 is - let's face it - bagseed (now backcrossed to a few left-over packs of old stock).

If a firm believer in a good plant being a good plant - no matter what the name. But these days, with so much choice and everything being crossed with everything else, how does anyone get away with asking $150+ for 10 regular seeds?!?

One of the strongest indicas I ever grew - and I was an absolute idiot for not cloning it - came from a $15 packet of SOL Adventure Mix. At the other end of the spectrum, I once paid $150 for 10 DJ Short F13 seeds and they were the scrawniest, hermiest, slowest-growing plants I ever grew. I will say the smoke was very unique and for some reason all the girls loved it (I don't know why it particularly appealed to women), but it wasn't strong, nor long-lasting. I will concede it probably has medicinal value, but . . .

. . . I'm starting to rant.

lol i couldnt tell if c99 has a long or short lasting high, even if you would put a gun to my head ... as at that time i had plenty (to choose from), seldomly a quarter hour or a half hour passed away without me blazin, but i do remember that she had this high ceiling with low tollerance build up, which compensates for much things, like lower potency and short lasting high

of course you cant compare are 50% + haze with cindy in terms of raw power, but i have to say that smoking a girly joint (1 1/4 paper) pure cindy was comparable to a lung or two full of titans haze or a good ssh, i got a few samples from sensis silver haze and their marley collie , and those samples were ridiculously lousy compared to cindy, she was 2 or 3 "generations" ahead in the potency department, tho the grower did a great job, as he did with all other things he has grown, those 2 were the selections out of a 15 seed pack ... and were "strong" like a skunk ... nah ... i really lost interest in those 2 haze descendants bc of those samples , dont worry, im aware that the genetic make up (on paper) is promising great possibilities....
you know those good old times, when you got a big envelope in the mail with a dozen or more samples, and 2 weeks later the clones you have chosen via the samples were also in the mail ... ahhh ... where is my bulb ... lol

speaking of WW to low-jack back on train ;)

mrnice has an auction site attached to its forum, where you can bid , like on ebay .. or cbay (for all others lol) ... , and you dont have to be registres at the forums, its enough to be registred at the auction site alone, bc of seeds ...

and now, plz

D R U M R O L L :::::::::::::

GRAIL WIDOW
and
WidowAC

both have "haze" and widow genes in their pedigree, and both are also different to mango(haze) widow, i wouldnt be surprised that AC has nevils background , while i dont know, im guessing its the number 122 , other parent than ssh, mum from mango within the grail
to exactly know whats going on, one would have to grow out 5 different strains .... lol ... and while different, all so "related" lol

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:00 am
by Prawn Connery
Well I will temper what I have said with the caveat I have not grown out the original C99 and have not grown out an F2 or cross for some time. So it would be churlish of me to criticise (other than the price) any further until I've actually tried the original.

I do recall I had an original C99x original Flo hybrid I kept around for a while, but the fact I can't remember much about it, nor that I missed it when it was gone, leads me to believe it was just OK and was probably something different at the time.

All moot now, as I haven't grown for a while and it might be some time before I start growing again.

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:03 pm
by deran
there is a rumor that mark surf still has some beans of : dalat X c99 .... this makes my fingers itchy :D

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:29 pm
by Jesús Malverde
It's just too damn easy to buy here to make growing an attractive proposition for me. It's technically illegal still to grow without qualifying medical paperwork (although they don't seem to care much either), and I can probably get, I don't know, probably close to a hundred different named varieties, not to mention edibles and concentrates. When rec cannabis first became legal here, the quality of the growers was uneven and frequently not great. The situation seems to have shaken out now, and the surviving growers are pretty much all capable ones. Unlike in Amsterdam/NL where the growing is done clandestinely, even for tolerated coffee shops, the grows here are larger, licensed, and done by full-time pros. The difference is better variety and quality vs. the NL I think.

I clearly remember when WW came on the scene and the obscene trich coverage even on the big bud fans in the photos people were posting. Yeah most of the people sharpened and cranked up contrast and highlights to exaggerate the visual effect, but still when you saw it first hand it was still pretty damn visually impressive. I wasn't that wild about either the flavor or the stone on early WW, but it did have a good kick. The stuff sold under that name today here just doesn't have the crazy snow covered trich look of the original and one grower here* even markets their version as a high CBD type.

* http://www.phatpanda.com/about-phat-panda.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:45 pm
by bentech
[quote="Prawn Connery" as I haven't grown for a while and it might be some time before I start growing again.[/quote]

remember when it was all we could think about?!?!?

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:04 pm
by MadMoonMan
What are you talking about? How can it not be all you think about? You get married? Turned into um.. "padlocked" um "decocked" um what's that word? um ... ah.. g33 man whats that word? I'm trying to remember... not .. pussified.. .. g ee

I think it might be a dirty word since I keep it blocked in the back of my mind.

Cocked like a trigger should I remember it.

Blocked from all thought whatsoever.

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:10 pm
by Prawn Connery
I still do. I loved growing. I still love smoking. Unfortunately, change of profession means I've had to give everything up the past couple of years, except for when I'm on holiday. I'm considering another career change, lol.

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:20 pm
by Butters
I still love it too, more now than ever. It's about all I have left at this point, can't afford to do anything else.
Hell, I'm miserable and kinda freaking out because I've been too sick to get the spring seedlings started, it's that time here...getting behind every day.

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:08 pm
by MadMoonMan
I'm pushing my self... a little at a time.. No need to do it all at once. It's the journey.

Doing some seed in dixie cups tonight and got light set up.. had to climb ladder and move chains around.

Going for more climate control this time.

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:13 pm
by MadMoonMan
You can't just lay down and die. We have to push ourselves. Up and until we are truly ready to just lay down and die. Say... you have no food and your surrounded by wolves.

What do you do?

What do YOU! do?

I'd personally punch the nearest alaskan wolverine in the nose the go for under throat of closest next one to grab by trachaya and expect and brace for being jumped and pulled from all sides.

Considering all situations beforehand. I'm im dragged down I'm dead

Remaining on feet narrative.

How fast can you kill a dog to live thru a wollve pack attack?

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:16 pm
by MadMoonMan
Oops sorry,, um I'm doing all Kosher Kush

and I got some freebies

Chocolope Kush

I liked old Thai stick and supposedly a mix in there.

Going to taste test it. Do a review . Should the LORD tarry.

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:53 pm
by Butters
MadMoonMan wrote:I'm pushing my self... a little at a time.. No need to do it all at once. It's the journey.
MadMoonMan wrote:You can't just lay down and die. We have to push ourselves. Up and until we are truly ready to just lay down and die.
Oh, I will get it done, if it takes crawling on hands and knees, five minutes at a time, whatever it takes...just gotta find a way over the hump, in a bad place atm.

Like I said, after my wife, son and daughter in law, it's all I have left to live for, only thing that still makes me feel alive at this point in time. Growing herb, or rather getting busted for it, kinda fucked it all up for me. Now it's what keeps me going. I won't stop till I lay down for good.

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:35 am
by Prawn Connery
Starting's the hardest thing to do.

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:18 pm
by Irwin the Troll
ivanka2_LI.jpg
Meanwhile back in the trailer park .this is a current shot of the closet .in the back left Tangerine Dream. two early on white widows behind the white widow that is now 63 days old. Her name is Ivanka

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:18 pm
by deran
Prawn Connery wrote:Starting's the hardest thing to do.
nothing easier than sprouting a seed - the rest will follow - automatically - bc we are all responsible beings that wont let a plant die

at least thats how it always worked for me ... when that baby has sprouted, there is no way back lol

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:12 pm
by MadMoonMan
Prawn Connery wrote:I still do. I loved growing. I still love smoking. Unfortunately, change of profession means I've had to give everything up the past couple of years, except for when I'm on holiday. I'm considering another career change, lol.
Im going to semi retire ... been in cubicle with no window to long.

Don't want to die there.

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:29 am
by Irwin the Troll
Negative K
Ivanka is a transgender. . I should have named it Caitlin.

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:31 am
by Irwin the Troll
I'm scrapping it . Just ordered 10reg Afghan kush seeds.

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:25 pm
by bentech
as a member of TOG
if you had a safe mailing addy
you were rolling in seeds

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:08 am
by deran
my fault ... nah wont give any karmas lol

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:01 pm
by bentech
you know
i never thought about it before
overgrow was the hub of a universe
no wonder gypsy was talking me up

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:33 am
by roller24

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:05 am
by Prawn Connery
Irwin the Troll wrote:Negative K
Ivanka is a transgender. . I should have named it Caitlin.
Hermy?

Curious . . . if it's taking a long time to flower and has started to sprout nanas, that can sometimes indicate photoperiod stress (light leak). Do you think that's possible? Like I said, sativas are much more sensitive to light changes than indicas.

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:29 am
by MadMoonMan
AAAARgh i love sativas.. hate growing them.
lol