Determining the kids potency by smoking dad

All name brand info and homemade how-to's welcome
messy slob
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by messy slob »

Bob the whole male smoking thing was a huge deal to UB. He was freakin relentless. It must have really pissed BG off because Sly made one of his very infrequent replies. Vic high tried to talk him off the ledge he would not stop.

I respected Ben's knowledge and took his advice and learned to read my plants.

However the male smoking thing just fuckin goofy, and to press it to the point of being banned was over the top.

I was curious if any one used this method with success and how they arrived at that success. It really wasn't intended to be a tank thread ragging on UB. If I have not tried it I don't completely doubt anything. Now that's behind us we discuss different male selection processes.... hopefully.
Despite their superficial differences, both parties fervently agree on the crucial importance of making life easier for apex predators.

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 1332 times
Received Karma : 929 times

Post by Butcher Bob »

Fully aware. ;)

I knew the intent of yer post wuz fer serious discussion. Male selection wuz somethin Ben & I din't see eye to eye on. We both feel itsa necessity to pick healthy males, general characteristics and all that....but we differed on potency evaluation. He felt males kin be tested.....I feel male testing is irrelevant. :p

hand
needs karma
Custom Title: 2New2knowIcanChangethis

Post by hand »

Given the chance males are allways smoked afore they they can do there thing. Many many moons and thousands of progeny have proved its usefullness. Two cups and elite acclaim are all the proof to claim. If you`v never tried it how can you decry it. ohhh can I have shitthead as my derogatory, I want everyone to be dumb as shitt so if it is my derogatory everyone will be. woof woof forgot to say what kind.

Hax
Karma God
Karma God
Custom Title: TrollMod™

Post by Hax »

OK, the consensus is that the potency of the father in a cross has no reliable bearing on the potency of its progeny. Might as well use no THC fiber hemp pollen then to make high potency crosses then then if that's the case. Personally I'd prefer my chances using high THC males for breeding but apparently commonsense and elementary genetics doesn't hold with cannabis.
Click here for free iPod! > http://myplanetganja.com/ucp.php?i=unsubcribe&mode=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God

Post by Butcher Bob »

Hax wrote:OK, the consensus is that the potency of the father in a cross has no reliable bearing on the potency of its progeny.
Not that it has "no reliable bearing", but that progeny testing is way more accurate.
Smokin the male will not necessarily be a good indicator of female expression, and neither will it take into consideration the combining ability of it's use as a parent.

arb
Karma Whore
Karma Whore
Custom Title: 4/5's tarded
Has bestowed Karma : 119 times
Received Karma : 78 times

Post by arb »

I've never smoked any males.
I've let quite a few go till they died on their own,saw quite a few trichs on most of them.
The male brings 50% of the genetics to the pollination.
Obviously the male's gonna play a great deal in the final determination of potency.
I have always chosen males based on structure and vigor and will continue to do so.
The proofs in the smoke..................no doubt about it.
However proofing the smoke is a matter of apples and oranges given optimum growing and curing conditions.
I reckon at the end of the day it's gonna vary a bit from person to person so ya might as well please yerself.
Vaya con Dios HB

~Uncle Ben~
some karma
some karma
Has bestowed Karma : 2 times
Received Karma : 1 time

Post by ~Uncle Ben~ »

I harvest ‘em for pollen and smoke. So I’d NOT say smokin ‘em is irrelevant since when ya do find a good one, you’ll know it. but ya gotta test ‘em first to find out.

It is intrinsic to want to use pollen from one that actually gets you high without a headache!

True most are just a headache to try, but a when a good one comes along ya want to breed. smoke it, amaze your friends with. I remember on OG a thread with some righteous trich action on males. If yer into closet breeding, It seems counterintuitive not to want to breed with a good one. :facepalm:
Attachments
MaleMay10E.jpg
MaleBud.jpg

Hax
Karma God
Karma God
Custom Title: TrollMod™

Post by Hax »

Butcher Bob wrote:
Hax wrote:OK, the consensus is that the potency of the father in a cross has no reliable bearing on the potency of its progeny.
Not that it has "no reliable bearing", but that progeny testing is way more accurate.
Smokin the male will not necessarily be a good indicator of female expression, and neither will it take into consideration the combining ability of it's use as a parent.
Progeny testing IS the preferred breeding methodology granted. That being said potency as one of the criteria for selecting prospective pollen donors for progeny testing doesn't seem like an unreasonable concept as long as we accept the notion that potency is to some degree a heritable trait.
Click here for free iPod! > http://myplanetganja.com/ucp.php?i=unsubcribe&mode=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God

Post by Butcher Bob »

Sure, I'd concede that much........kin I use bubble bags? :mrgreen:

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: world where everone gets
Has bestowed Karma : 1668 times
Received Karma : 1063 times

Post by rSin »

given whos weigh in on the subject,

it would seem that notable potency in the male doesnt breed on anywhere near as potentially as other character traits that can be identified,

which is why those who have really done alot of cubing say dont bother with concidering the males by smoking...

its a poor indicator,
much better to select them via other critera

that is,
much more likely to pass something down
the intolerance of the old order is emerging from the rosy mist in which it has hitherto been obscured.