PFMJ's little SAGE grow

Growing in electric sunshine
PassionForMaryJane
good karma
good karma
Custom Title: ~Eternal Wisdom Seeker~

PFMJ's little SAGE grow

Post by PassionForMaryJane »

Thanks randude, welcome to the thread man.

I have never tried SAGE before, but it is a Sativa/Afghani combo, that is all I really know about the strain.
I have always been one to use what I have, before going out to buy something new, even when money was not so tight, I guess I just believe in just giving the plants what they need, and not needing to have the ability to be able to brag that I spend too much on stuff like nutrients of a well known brand name, I'd much rather get the same things, but cheaper if at all possible...

I noticed something that made me quite happy today, I looked over the two remaining plants in vegg, and I noticed little pre-flowers in like two places on each plant, so that means 3/3 are looking to be confirmed females. :D
Hopefully I'll get at least two different phenos, it already looks like I may have two, at least when comparing growth patterns so far..

randude
Karma Whore
Karma Whore

PFMJ's little SAGE grow

Post by randude »

Thanks for the update and congratulations on the females. Can't wait for the smoke report. My love in MJ always leans heavily towards the weeds I smoked in the 70s, the Sativas. Mexicans, Thais, Colombians.

PassionForMaryJane
good karma
good karma

PFMJ's little SAGE grow

Very welcome, and thanks!

I did a little research, and found out the possible lineage of this SAGE.

T.H. Seeds - S.A.G.E (Sativa Afghani Genetic Equilibrium).
Big Sur Holyweed x Afghani Indica
Sativa phenotype 90% Sativa - 10% Indica

This strain is a cross between Big Sur Holy, and an Afghani Indica. The Big Sur Holy's roots lie mostly in an old mexican sativa known as Purple Zacatecas. The PZ is rumoured to have been made by a monk in Califorina in the 1960's. Most of the strong cerebral effects can be attributed to the old mexican line and because of the high THC and low CBD content. The long lasting and uplifting effects make this plant a perfect choice for those who need that extra little kick in the morning or anytime of day for that matter. She also brings on hunger in a big way. So this is a great strain for those looking for an appetite. The spicy sandalwood flavour is amazing and lasts forever, and the smoke leaves the room smelling of a sweet incense. The smoke is smooth on the inhale but expands in your lungs very quickly.
Over all I would say she is a pleasure to smoke and even more of a pleasure to experience.

Medical effects: Appetite stimulant, Energizing, Anti depressant, Extremly euphoric.

1998 Cannabis Cup: S.A.G.E. takes 3rd highest THC level with 21% THC.
This THC test included all 50 varieties entered including seed companies and coffee shops. Giving the S.A.G.E. a higher THC level then any of the Cannabis Cup winners.
1999 Cannabis Cup: S.A.G.E. takes 3rd highest THC from all the varieties entered.
1999 Cannabis Cup: S.A.G.E. water hash takes 2nd place in the Hash category.
1999 Cannabis Cup: S.A.G.E. water hash takes 2nd highest THC level with over 46%
2000 Cannabis Cup: S.A.G.E. water hash takes 1st place in the hash category
2001 Cannabis Cup: S.A.G.E. takes 2nd place for best overall weed in the Press Cup, voted by the international press.
2001 Cannabis Cup: S.A.G.E. rated highest Sativa by High Times writer Kyle Kushman.

All info above was taken from here.
http://www.budbuzz.net/content/index.ph ... s&Itemid=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I must say I am a little upset that this strain does not have more indica in it, I do not mind sativa dominant strains, but due to the reasons I smoke I'd much rather have a bit more of a body high.
Also Sativa strains take a bit longer to flower, so I may have to wait from two weeks, to maybe a month longer to flower it, which means it will damn near be November before I have anything to smoke.
Considering I am limited on space, as well as everything else, I am going to have to find a 2 month strain, that yields fairly heavy, does not smell too strong during flowering (I read somewhere that the SAGE has a stealthy smell to it, meaning it is not as easy to smell/distinguish) at least until I can get something in here to handle the odor, also it needs to stay fairly short & bushy because my lights are not strong enough to penetrate anything below the canopy if they get too tall..

HempKat

PFMJ's little SAGE grow

Post by HempKat »

PassionForMaryJane wrote:I must say I am a little upset that this strain does not have more indica in it...
I have a feeling come harvest time you're not going to mind all that much. :rollitiup:

I found this additional info about S.A.G.E.
SAGE cannabis seeds from T.H. Seeds.

The name says it all! Sativa Afghani Genetic Equilibrium, a well balanced Haze crossed with a robust cannabis indica strain that produces a power-packed marijuana plant with over 20 % T.H.C. Fast becoming a legend. S.A.G.E. took 2nd place in the blind test of the 2001 High Times Cannabis Cup. Also, the hash made out of this plant won 1st place in 2000, both of these victories were based on overall strength and quality.

High T.H.C. and low C.B.D. make this plant a perfect head stash variety. Spicy sandalwood flavor combined with a long lasting and uplifting high make this the marijuana plant for those who must have the best. Longer flowering time is rewarded with large buds that will seem to double in size in the last few weeks.

Flowering: 70 -77 days

Height: 120-140 cm

Yield: 300-350 p.s.m.

Qty: 10 Marijuana Seeds

Seed Company: T.H. Seeds

Recommended for: Indoor marijuana growing
http://www.planetskunk.com/sage-p-138.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

randude
Karma Whore
Karma Whore

PFMJ's little SAGE grow

Post by randude »

I think Sativas in general are less aromatic than the Indicas. When Indicas started making the scene in the 80s that was thing... the skunky hashy smell. Before that most of the commercial weeds smelled like either hay or incense. Colombian had a nice incense smell to it, Mexican brick smelled like hay. (In those days you could also get good fresh buds from Northern California)

I still never understand the Mexicans. If they were smart like the Moroccans they would make it all into hash and have less to carry and a higher value per trip crop. I think the problem may be systemic in that all the farmers must just brick it up to get it to their first point of sale. In Arkansas they brick weed too. I was getting weed in Northern Louisiana that my source told me was grown in Arkansas and it was bricked up for transport.
Last edited by randude on Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CK.

PFMJ's little SAGE grow

Post by CK. »

Freakin sweet PFMJ- Damn im so glad to see ya growin again bro, looks good... happy to see you able your follow your passion :mrgreen:

gonna be a good year man

randude
Karma Whore
Karma Whore

PFMJ's little SAGE grow

Post by randude »

77 days for flower is not too bad for a sativa.

Those leaves do not look like Sativa leaves and the short flower period would lead me to personally believe that 90% Sativa is a high number. Another high number would be the 20% THC. That is a pretty amazing number and I do not know how they come up with numbers like that. I mean if you have a bag of buds, an oz, that means that 5.6 grams of it is THC or trichomes?? I would love to get numbers like that when making bubble hash and especially of a Sativa.

Whatever the case, I bet it is good smoke and may not be too hazy for you.

HempKat

PFMJ's little SAGE grow

Post by HempKat »

randude wrote:77 days for flower is not too bad for a sativa.

Those leaves do not look like Sativa leaves and the short flower period would lead me to personally believe that 90% Sativa is a high number. Another high number would be the 20% THC. That is a pretty amazing number and I do not know how they come up with numbers like that. I mean if you have a bag of buds, an oz, that means that 5.6 grams of it is THC or trichomes?? I would love to get numbers like that when making bubble hash and especially of a Sativa.

Whatever the case, I bet it is good smoke and may not be too hazy for you.
I'm not positive of how they measure that but I don't think it's based on the overall weight of the buds. I think it's based on more like if you scraped off a sample of resin and measured the percentage of THC it is 20% for S.A.G.E. (besides THC there's quite a few other cannabinoids in marijuana resin. Given that was based on testing at a competition I doubt that number is very far off from accurate. Especially since it scored similarly in consequtive years. Although I will grant you that there is alot of question marks as to how valid the judging actually is at the cannabis cup.

randude
Karma Whore
Karma Whore

PFMJ's little SAGE grow

Post by randude »

Yeah you look at these cups and have to wonder if someone may have a conflict of interest.

You look at the ICmag 420 cup and see that Gypsy gives his ex girl friend a couple of cups, and she has been out of the scene for at least a year. I wonder if they are really just equal partners in the seed sales and he is just helping her to line his own pocket. They like to keep a lot of really dumb sheep on that site so they can pull off these smoke and mirror antics without getting caught. If you look at the his 420 cup Dutch Grown's weed ranked pretty low on all the contest, but Gypsy gives her a couple cups for best breeder and something else, and they were just cups he gives to whomever he feels like. Or maybe Gypsy gave her the cups out of some guilt offering for all the crap her put her through.

I would love to grow out some sage, regardless. I am wanting to grow out a Jack Herer more. I met a fellow that has access to a stated wonderful pheno JH clone but have not been able to reach him. I am not really ready for Jack ATM but I do not want to lose this contact completely.

PassionForMaryJane
good karma
good karma

PFMJ's little SAGE grow

Hempy, thank you for the info, after reading that I think I will be much happier than I thought I would be!
I can live with an extra 10-17 days...
20% THC sounds really good to me, I just wish it had more CBD's..

randude, I hope it is less odoriferous than those that have a bit more indica in them, but either way I should be ok.
Bricked weed blows balls, I have had some recently, and as usual it was very disappointing!

C.K., hey bro, good to see ya man!
I think it will be a good year for sure bro, I cannot wait till I have some to harvest!

randude, good point on the leaves, they do look more like a 60/40 or a 50/50, dunno why I did not take that into consideration..

--------------------

I have come to the conclusion that I will deff need more lights for flowering, I wish I could use my 1000 watter, but it would burn my plants to death, because the space I am flowering in is like 2 foot by 4 foot (they are in my tub, lol) the room is actually like 5x8, and has an ac duct in there, as well as an exhaust fan, so I may be able to get away with it, if I had enough power, I'd have to wire up another circuit and run it in there, else I'd blow a circuit for sure, I already have a PC, a lcd tv, and the 240 watts in my vegg room on one circuit, so I am pushing the 1,800 watt max I like to run on a 15A circuit...
Hopefully in the future I can get a 400 W HPS for flowering..
I could get a 400W ballast and use that with my existing hood couldn't I?