TrainWreck Scrog

Growing in electric sunshine
PGs GossipGrrl™
Karma Whore
Karma Whore

TrainWreck Scrog

Post by PGs GossipGrrl™ »

Deej wrote:Awesome buddage! :tup:
You have great pics too. :toker1: my dig cam won't let me get that close.
I am jealous
:mrgreen:
Would U be more jealous if I took ur digicam and took *better* pix of MS's grow? Unless U have a very old digicam, or very inexpensive one that has a really lousy lens, has a silly high MP sensor (12MP or greater), little other than full auto mode; then I could do better :). Not sure if I could help instruct u how *u* could do better, but if this site is still here after May, if I'm still here, if U have loads of patience (seemingly almost always the downfall :D) I'll give it a shot :p
Deej wrote:I live in an apartment so grow has to be as simple as possible.
Wish I still had the set-up I used for 6 years but I don't...
My girls will give me good bud & that's what counts,eh?
:mrgreen:

If what U mean by you live in an appt, and need to be able to disassemble and leave as when U moved in w/o a trace, that does pose some obstacles/issues. If not, U could do a cabinet grow like MS's or smaller. There are numerous 400w & 250w cabinet grows where the cabinet is split in 2, so you can keep a cloning system going in just one enclosure.
Marabou Stork wrote:The site is allowing me to post bigger files than I think it use to. Camera is a Canon 300D Rebel and the macro lens is an EF100mm. It can do more than I know how so most of my photos will be taken on one of the auto modes.

Nutrients are mostly Canna Nutes A and B and for these Trainwrecks, I don't give more than 800~900 ppm (EC 1.6~1.8). It just occurred to me that usually I have given them some PK13/14 by now.
Hmm, won't get into a debate w/U on Canna nutes, PK stuff, but someday u might come around to what is being discussed over on RIU in UB's thread:

http://www.rollitup.org/marijuana-plant ... bloom.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is Ur TW one of the 'clone' only, or from a seed source?

Should be finishing right about (70-75days) the time this site is supposed to self-destruct like Mission Impossible.

I can help instruct on how to better utilize that 300D, with or w/o the Macro lens. But 1st U'll have to do me a favor and learn to take the additional step of compressing your images for the web. On the old PG, as well as OG, it was automatically done to all images uploaded, the forum software would re-compress all images to make the file sizes smaller to save bandwidth. Unfortunately even w/auto compression, the site Admn decide to have silly high limits on file sizes, 2MB. Try that on other sites where they are trying to save costs of bandwidth...TCC had a very low limit of around 296k, IIRC. It took some hard-nosed lobbying to convince Shoddy Noody, the benefit of upping that limit to 500k (text and graphic overlay layers utilized in PS would have 'jagged' edges when compressing them to less than ~300k file size) for image tutorials/guides.

For me, on dialup, it takes a 1min. for a single 300k image to load on any given thread, if there are 30 images on a page, it takes 1/2hr :bigcry: . The few images as *thumbnail* attachments in this thread took several minutes to finish displaying. If those were all 1.7MB images posted from a gallery, on one page, it would take hours to for them all to finish loading, assuming they did not fail to load (often happens, I can't even use Photobucket anymore :( , their servers don't have enough bandwidth to even display 300k images...they just stall/timeout on a slow connection).

Just about any image editor allows for compressing the file. With Photoshop Elements or the full PS like I have, use the 'save for web' for the greatest ability to reduce file size.

I tweaked the macro shot with PS, darkened it some, took out a little excessive green, small amount of yellow, and then used a light amount of unsharp mask to make it look a little sharper. Nothing can be done though, to fix the majority of the image which is mostly out of focus. There is a *very* narrow 'vertical' plane of sharp focus in that image, and unfortunately the autofocus wasn't able to lock on the pistils...they are not as sharp as they could be.

Suggestions, if U have a tripod, use it, always. On the Macro, best to learn how to go to manual focus mode, but barring that, learn to use *aperture* priority mode. In that mode, the camera will try to adjust shutter speed for the given 'aperture' that you manually select. U should try selecting an aperture value of F8 to start, this is where the lens is likely it's sharpest...I'd have to go check the review/tests of that particular lens to be sure. At F8 you should get greater DOF (depth of field>focus) which is to say the entire bud might have been in sharp focus, even with the AF missing the pistils as a desired focus point. Of course the farther away from the subject, the greater the apparent DOF, you just end up having to crop your image to take that part that you want to post.

Assuming Deej's simple PnS digicam has no macro setting, or one that won't allow her to get as closeup a shot as she'd like, she can watch the LED focus indicator turn green at near the limit of it's ability to focus closely, and just capture the image, then with an image editor, crop the image down to size that includes only the bud or part that she wants to display.

Macro lenses end up with a very narrow DOF, so you either have to know how to manually focus, like Subcool does, or set aperture to F8 or higher. LOL, I haven't checked, but as of 2007 Subby was still not aware (he's taken a basic photog class and admits to still learning) that he could have an entire length wise bud in full focus if he's just move the camera/lens farther away, and then crop off excess in the image, to include only the bud. I've seen a 6in log bud shot, done @F8 where the ends of the bud were still not as sharp as the central part. :roflmao: Pistils banned me over on BB, cause I dared to state I could help the canna photog god Subby improve his knowledge, for 'looking down' on everyone :p <his interpretation, and all the lemmings there. No one there could hear of being taught anything by an 'outsider'; much as most MJ mod teams, can't bear to be told they don't know it all as far as how to run a website :toker1: :bannana: Massive egos being threatened :p

I mean, where are all of my books with budshots :D, the usual retort. Fuck, *any* knowledgeable hack, intermediate level photog on any of the photog forums could take better bud shots than all but a few on MJ forums, most could do better than Subcool; you don't need to be a pro.

With a 'crop factor' sensor (opposed to a full-frame sensor like $$$$ Canon 5DmkII) using a higher aperture greater than F8 or so, will start to lose some absolute sharpness from an optical limiting phenomena called diffraction, in other words, you can set to a higher aperture number like F11, or F16, but the image will lose a slight amount of sharpness, while at the same time, the DOF is increased bringing a greater amount of the image into sharper focus :p .

Taking a wild guess I'd say the Macro shot was at F5.6 or lower, maybe the lens was wild open @ F2.8?

If U like I can post up a few links that explain some of these concepts better than I can...there are many sites that have these concepts explained.

The tweaked image, you macro shot, compressed @50 quality setting in 'save for web' on PS, got that 1.7MB file, down in size to only 300k, and that's be retaining the full 2kx 1.6k pixel size. If I had reduced the actual image pixel size/dimensions (as opposed to file size), I could have then gotten an even smaller file size after compression. @ 30 level u start to lose some detail to compression artifacts, but most wouldn't even notice there. I've seen some very noticeable compression artifacts, like some of the images arb has posted b4 :)
Attachments
TWSday21.jpg
After a while, people are just going to ignore it, like I did, like I do most TV commercials.

Maribou Stork
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Custom Title: Nightmares
Has bestowed Karma : 21 times
Received Karma : 34 times

TrainWreck Scrog

Post by Maribou Stork »

Thanks for the camera tips PGGG. I'll follow your suggestions when I update the thread next time with a new photo. The original photo says it was taken at F4 and the lens was in manual focus as I recall autofocus wanted to pick random leaves to zero in on. I did have the tripod set up but my batteries for the RF external flash were dead so I had to just use the pop up flash.

The seeds for the Trainwreck came from Jojorzio on the auctions, so I guess I have had a mother of it around for about 5 years. As you know, he treated one of his clones with STS to induce some male flowers to produce the seeds. Of the 10 seeds I got, I think about half were female and a couple of them had a tendency to throw out a few males late in flower. We would pluck them off as we saw them and after a week, more or less, they would stop appearing. I think they were sterile anyway as I never saw a seed develop and we must have missed the occasional male flower. Anyhow, the clone I decided to keep forever, was one that did not put out any male flowers.

Another snake oil thread of UB's? I'll check it out when I return in a couple of days. Hopefully the debate is among those that actually have used the various products. I went with Canna when I started using Coco and stuck with it as it was so simple and easy to use. I love the measuring devices that come on the bottles.

Must go get ready to hit the road for a 500+ Km drive. See ya later. :wave:
Maribou Stork

roller24
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 332 times
Received Karma : 493 times

TrainWreck Scrog

Post by roller24 »

Nice cropping job MS, how long did they vegetate to fill that screen?

skanna
some karma
some karma
Custom Title: Scum

TrainWreck Scrog

Post by skanna »

Looking good mate, I think I got some TrainWreck seeds somewhere so i'll be watching with interest.

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: world where everone gets
Has bestowed Karma : 1668 times
Received Karma : 1063 times

TrainWreck Scrog

Post by rSin »

the first weed i ever smoked was trainwreck...
damn, what a 12 hours that was...

didnt know it was trainwreck till 6 years later,
when i ran across it again, from a reputable source...

heh...

strong stuff,
you have the original cut???
or a cross???
the intolerance of the old order is emerging from the rosy mist in which it has hitherto been obscured.

Mrs Fly
Stackin' Karma Yo
Stackin' Karma Yo
Custom Title: The miowing spider
Received Karma : 4 times

TrainWreck Scrog

Post by Mrs Fly »

I realy like your grow, very-well considered use of your space, and equipment, this is going to develop nicely!

K
-x-
"But let me have silence always, in the centre of the shouting- That is essential! Let me have silence so that no pin may drop And not be heard, and not a whisper escape us for all our spouting, Nor the needle's scratching upon this gramophone of a circular cosmic spot. Hear me! Mark me! Learn me! Throw the mind's ear open- Shut up the mind's eye-all will be music!"

Deej
Kosmic Karma
Kosmic Karma
Custom Title: Have a great day!

TrainWreck Scrog

Post by Deej »

I am liking being a 'voyeur' in other's grow threads..they inspire me :mrgreen:

Maribou Stork
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman

TrainWreck Scrog

Post by Maribou Stork »

@ roller & FSM.....I had to veg for quite a while. Partly because I have the screen so far above the media/pots. It is about a foot before the plants touched the chicken wire screen and then I could start training. This height was originally chosen when the table was set up differently and I never bothered moving the eye hooks lower with the current setup, as it gives me more room under the screen. I would have enough room if it was only 6 inches above so maybe next time I'll get around to redoing it.....maybe....LOL....

Anyhow, the plants were in a vegging area for most of the time they were growing the first foot while my last crop of Super Nova was finishing, but once moved into the flowering cabinet and training started along the mesh, it was about a month before I flipped to 12/12. To get the most yield in the least amount of time, the better growing method would have been a SOG with about 24 plants flipped to 12/12 at 8 inches. I only had a couple of clones ready so I thought I would give ScRog another trial.

The drippers were pretty easy as they were there from previous grows. I have 20 drip lines because I usually use a number of pots and for going away this time I just stuck 10 in each of the two pots and set the timer for three minutes after determining it would take that long to pump a liter and a half into each pot

@ rSin, I don't have an original cut, but it isn't a cross either. Jojorzio used STS, a growth hormone to induce male flowers so it self pollinated itself and produced seeds.

@ the rest....thanks for following along.
Maribou Stork

Maribou Stork
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman

TrainWreck Scrog

Post by Maribou Stork »

Here is a picture on day 28. I took a couple of Gossip Girl's suggestions. This picture was taken with an F-stop of 8 and some blurred background was cropped. I also saved it for the web which brought the file size down.
TW28.jpg
Maribou Stork

PassionForMaryJane
good karma
good karma
Custom Title: ~Eternal Wisdom Seeker~

TrainWreck Scrog

Post by PassionForMaryJane »

Very nice looking SCROG you have going MS, makes me miss the TW I used to have.
It was the clone only TW, and was pretty good, it was just to heady of a high for me, I like a 50/50- balance, if not a 60/40 Indica/Sativa.
The high only lasted me like an hour and a half or so though, possibly due to me being such a hardcore smoker at the time...

Hope that turns out to be good smoke for ya, keep up the nice work!

Stay high, and stay safe!!!