Maribou Stork
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Custom Title: Nightmares
Has bestowed Karma : 21 times
Received Karma : 34 times

TrainWreck Scrog

Post by Maribou Stork »

Time to grow Trainwreck again after a couple of grows doing Super Nova. TW is a favourite among family and friends and even though one is always tempted to try another strain now and then, it's good to have some around.

I almost lost it last fall after the mother flowered when I kept her in a window thinking the lights in the kitchen would keep it in a vegetative state. It took a long time to get it to revert back to veg so I could get a cutting, but I did and am now keeping a watchful eye on the new mother.

I have mostly grown the Trainwreck as a Sea Of Green (SOG) and it is well suited for it as it is mostly bud with just a few large leaves, so you can fit them close together. The stems were small and bent easily from the weight of the buds so I always staked them. It occurred to me that I had not tried a Screen of Green (ScRog) in quite a while and this Trainwreck might make a suitable plant for this growing method.

Here are two plants growing in an area 30" X 48" (10 sq ft). I didn't know how much they would stretch grown this way so I flipped them to 12/12 earlier than I should have. They didn't fill all the possible space, but I will know for next time. I would also space the two pots further apart as the canopy now overlaps in the middle.

It is day 16 of flowering when this was taken.
TWScrog.JPG
Lights are 400 Watt HPS and ventilation is passive intake with a 450 cfm Vortex exhaust fan pulling the air through a carbon filter.
Maribou Stork

Snorkel Monster
Stackin' Karma Yo
Stackin' Karma Yo
Custom Title: my custom title

TrainWreck Scrog

Post by Snorkel Monster »

Nice

Deej
Kosmic Karma
Kosmic Karma
Custom Title: Have a great day!

TrainWreck Scrog

Post by Deej »

Very Nice :mrgreen: I have heard so much about Trainwreck..
..I have some seeds that had TW as one of the parents.
Derailed Blues....Northern Dudes strain.

Maybe one day I will try them. :toker1:
I hear ya on the reveg thing..can be a real pain :roll:
Good luck w/ the grow :wave:

Maribou Stork
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman

TrainWreck Scrog

Post by Maribou Stork »

Thanks SM and Deej.

Today is day 21 of flowering. I added the drippers to the pots as we are going away for the long weekend and they will need at least one watering but most likely get programmed for two during that time.
TWday21.JPG
Temperatures in the cabinet are low because with the mild and wet spring we don't keep the wood furnace running all the time.
Temp.JPG
The canopy itself is considerably cooler because I had the fan running and I notice the canopy temperatures are always cooler than the ambient air temperatures even without the fan on. The cooling effect of transpiration at work. :tup:
Canopytemp.JPG
The humidity is also higher than normal without the wood furnace on, but lower than optimal.
Humidity.JPG
Macro shot of a bud at day 21.
TWSday21.JPG
Maribou Stork

Deej
Kosmic Karma
Kosmic Karma

TrainWreck Scrog

Post by Deej »

Awesome buddage! :tup: My girls were doing good until today..
w/ the light & all ...this morning it was 100*F in there. :pullhair:

It is 80*F outside atm. :roll: I had a fan on them but it
was not productive so I have a fan stuck in the window now..
it is cooling down.

You have great pics too. :toker1: my dig cam won't let me get that close.
I am jealous :mrgreen:

Maribou Stork
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman

TrainWreck Scrog

Post by Maribou Stork »

The site is allowing me to post bigger files than I think it use to. Camera is a Canon 300D Rebel and the macro lens is an EF100mm. It can do more than I know how so most of my photos will be taken on one of the auto modes.

The pots I am using are 880 cubic inches or around 3 gallons. I know them as Dutch (Bateau) Pots, but the system sounds like the Hempy method that is much used on these sites. I do not know which one came first. The media is mostly Cana Coco Fiber mixed with about 20~25% perlite. The bottom two or three inches is hydroton balls and an inch layer is on top which helps keep the upper coco moist and breaks up the force of the water when hand watering.
146_4681.JPG
Nutrients are mostly Canna Nutes A and B and for these Trainwrecks, I don't give more than 800~900 ppm (EC 1.6~1.8). It just occurred to me that usually I have given them some PK13/14 by now. I will have to remember to do so when we get back after the long weekend.

As our well water is over 800 ppm with a pH of 8.5 and is unfit for human consumption, I will certainly not give it to plants I care about. Water is collected from the steel roof when available or RO is bought at the store during droughts or freeze ups.
Last edited by Maribou Stork on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Maribou Stork

nobodyknew
Karma Jackpot
Karma Jackpot
Custom Title: Intangibles Inc.
Has bestowed Karma : 8 times
Received Karma : 6 times

TrainWreck Scrog

Post by nobodyknew »

Very nice - and a good example of what a SCROG grow should look like........ :smoke:
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime,somewhere someone said to themselves
"You know - I really want to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." George Carlin R.I.P

kofisalamanco

TrainWreck Scrog

Post by kofisalamanco »

Great to see something growing. :)
Good luck and enjoy Marabou!

Maribou Stork
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman

TrainWreck Scrog

Post by Maribou Stork »

Thanks nbk....I did Scog several times before and moved to SOG as an easier method. As it has been a while since I had the drudgery of tucking, I thought it was time to give it another go. The tucking wasn't as bad as I remembered. :lol:

Here is a look at the upper part of the cabinet. The light is 400 watts run by a lumatek digital ballast. It is quiet and cool running. Air is drawn from the top of the cabinet through the carbon filter strapped to the ceiling of the cabinet. I use to have the filter at the other end of the ventilation system and blew the air through it, but I moved it to the intake so dust would be filtered before the glass tube and less cleaning would be required. Fresh air is drawn in from the bottom of the cabinet

I have considered drawing air from outside the cabinet to cool the tube and having a more contained space for possible CO2 use, but I probably will not get around to doing that before I retire and move.

On the far right is an oscillating fan which no longer oscillates but its fixed orientation gets most of the canopy. I really do not have to worry too much about air movement around these Trainwreck as they have been the most resistant plants to mold that I have grown.
Carbonfliter.JPG
Hey there kofi....welcome to the grow. :smoke:
Maribou Stork

Deej
Kosmic Karma
Kosmic Karma

TrainWreck Scrog

Post by Deej »

I live in an apartment so grow has to be as simple as possible.
Wish I still had the set-up I used for 6 years but I don't...
My girls will give me good bud & that's what counts,eh?
:mrgreen: