Decriminalization vs. Legalization

The arena for political discussions about current events
JapanFreak

Post by JapanFreak »

I thought that it was pretty interesting to take a look at this subject as it applies to prostitution and found some interesting pages.

"The legalized system in Nevada is often discussed as a model for other states. The women work out of brothels and have little control of their working conditions. Unfortunately, it appears that by legalizing rather than decriminalizing prostitution, we end up exchanging one exploitive system for another- one set of bureaucrats for another. Many prostitutes simply cannot or would not work within the confines of a brothel. Perhaps brothels are an ideal situation for the male clients- a man gets to go to a place where all the women are lined up waiting to be chosen- but it is an extremely uncomfortable, degrading situation for women such as myself. That is not to say that brothels should be excluded from the picture- not at all. They should be one of the many ways women can work- as they already do. If a woman opts to work in such an environment, safeguards should be taken that she is not coerced into working conditions that no other worker in any other profession would be expected to tolerate. "
http://www.freedomusa.org/coyotela/decrim.html

"Although many people use the terms as synonyms, legalization and decriminalization are not the same thing, and would produce very different results. Legalization would make selling sex legal but there would be specific regulations and laws applied to the sex trade (“Prostitution Law Reform”). The problem with this is that many of these government rules are seen as “intrusive” and “demeaning” (“Prostitution”). Decriminalization, on the other hand, would treat prostitution as any other industry allowing the workers all the rights and protection enjoyed by other workers such as hairdressers, counselors, doctors, and estheticians (“IUSW”). All laws against prostitution would be abolished since there are already laws against trafficking, drugs, and sex with children; negative issues which are often associated with the sex trade. “If the police put their efforts into the fight against… real crime, consenting adults [could] get on with their business with no harm to anyone and make their contribution to society” (“IUSW”). The government would also benefit from either legalization or decriminalization by collecting taxes on the services of a prostitute as they do with any employee or small-business."
http://sextradeworkers.blogspot.com/200 ... ation.html

Legalization hasn't worked out well for them and everybody likes sex.

JapanFreak

Post by JapanFreak »

So you are saying that you can't see beyond the differences? That doesn't really surprise me but I'm looking at it from a point of something that was illegal with a social stigma and the effects that legalization has had on it. I'm sure others will be able to make the mental leap though. I guess you aren't interested in this topic.

JapanFreak

Post by JapanFreak »

Well thank you for sharing your non-interest. :tup:

Hacks
Stackin' Karma Yo
Stackin' Karma Yo

Post by Hacks »

Legalisation is just another world for decrim plus a giant layer of intrusive and suffocating government bureaucracy and regulations.
The next Freddie Flintoff.

Chester
Stackin' Karma Yo
Stackin' Karma Yo
Custom Title: Busy Mus musculus

Post by Chester »

Perhaps the distinction should be made between legalized and regulated (like the Nevada prostitution example) and legalized and free. Heavily regulated hasn't done much for really limiting prostitution or alcohol or tobacco sales in most states, it's just another means of taxing the working folks.... Heavily.....

Decriminalized is only a half-way measure. Instead of locking you up for possession or use, they just collect a "fine"/use-tax for getting caught. Interesting that it's kind of like the road-side tax-collectors "enforcing" traffic laws to increase municipal revenue. Thus you could say speeding is "decriminalized"...

Personally, as an individualist, I'd very much prefer the legalized and free option. Alas, with the massive pack of government busybodies and collectivist voters, it'll never happen.

:cool:
If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal.
If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative.
If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate.
If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. :facepalm:

— Joe Sobran (1946–2010)

LAW - The tool used by government to control it's citizens (current US definition)

JapanFreak

Post by JapanFreak »

It seems like regardless of which road it takes they both can be applied at different levels. Neither are 100% legal when it comes down to it. There's a lot of cross over.