Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Has bestowed Karma : 1828 times
Received Karma : 1597 times

Renewable energy?....not so renewable.

Post by Intrinsic »

No need to, already did

The diameter of the Earth is 24900 miles.
the formula for the surface area of a sphere is A=4πr^2

therefore Earth's surface area is
4*π*(24,900/2)^2 = 1,947,818,861
About 195,000,000 square miles.

From
https://www.axionpower.com/knowledge/po ... re%20miles.
It would take 51.4 billion 350W solar panels to power the world! Put another way, this is the equivalent of a solar power plant that covers 115,625 square miles

Therefore the ratio for the surface area of earth has compared to surface area we would need is:
195,000,000/115,625 approximately equal to 1,686.

Therefore if we covered the Earth and solar panels we would have enough electricity to power Humanity a thousand times over.
:toker1:

Solid Gold Butt Plug
Stackin' Karma Yo
Stackin' Karma Yo
Custom Title: SLIP IT IN
Has bestowed Karma : 1 time
Received Karma : 126 times

Post by Solid Gold Butt Plug »

Solar panels don’t lay completely horizontal with the earth….you could have way more surface area of panels than that.

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Has bestowed Karma : 1828 times
Received Karma : 1597 times

Post by Intrinsic »

Consider Larry Niven's Ringworld
220px-Ringworld_.jpg
220px-Ringworld_.jpg (15.3 KiB) Viewed 191 times
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (3.53 KiB) Viewed 191 times
Niven Ringworld 1.JPG
It would have approximately 620,000,000,000,000 square miles of surface area. Approximately three million Earths!

But let's take it to the extreme
a Dyson Sphere.
A sphere completely encircling the Sun.
But it's surface area wouldn't matter because no matter its size it would capture all the sun's solar output.

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: world where everone gets
Has bestowed Karma : 1668 times
Received Karma : 1063 times

Post by rSin »

dyson!
the intolerance of the old order is emerging from the rosy mist in which it has hitherto been obscured.

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 424 times
Received Karma : 521 times

Post by Prawn Connery »

Butcher Bob wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 11:45 am
Man....the fukking copium you ooze. :p

Ben nailed the first point...
rSin wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 10:59 pm
nuclear is NEVER a clean options.
Did we ever get the Three Mile Island disaster all cleaned up? :whistle: No, we did not...

Is Three Mile Island Still Radioactive and Is It Operating Today?
https://www.newsweek.com/three-mile-isl ... ix-1703444

44 years ago today: A near-disaster at Three Mile Island
https://www.fox43.com/article/news/loca ... a8679c527e

Turns out, we didn't know what we were doing then, and still don't. We fail to heed the warnings, and even worse shit occurs...Chernobyl...Fukushima. Are those cleaned up yet?...what's the target date for complete clean up?

While we're scarring the face of the planet with petroleum burning machinery for that lithium, burning more oil to ship it, and even more fossil fuels for production, making a lot of shit folks don't really need, just to dispose of it later in a problematic manner...let me ask you some questions...
Does lithium spontaneously combust?...would that be a problem?...do you have a solution if that is the case?...or would you rather just plod along without thinking things through?

We had the solution for plastics when they were invented...petroleum or hemp...and which did we pick? We already have the solution, so why are we still not doing it?

How aboot we START with developing effective methods to deal with the waste an industry will churn out...BEFORE we start creating those problems. :wink:
roller24 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 8:48 am
Over the years the US has made great strides in developing clean energy, and modern technology to improve air and water quality...

All while ironically fully supporting the country of China that seems to have little regard for environmental issues...
Are you sure aboot the cleanliness?
Seeing as I live in the world's largest freshwater aquafer, I tend to notice the environmental studies concerning it.
Did you know...
- A study was done in every state and Canadian province that borders at least one great lake...every rainwater sample taken had PFAS chemicals in them.
- A study was done around the shorelines of all the great lakes, and their tributaries...every soil sample taken contained microplastics.
- In a recent proposal for an additional landfill fee to generate revenue for the state, it was revealed that 85% of revenues generated would be from out-of-state sources...polluting the world's largest water source for money.
:facepalm:

I'm all for a better way....but is it really better if we've discounted future costs? :dunno:
Ah Bob, I'll wager your 3-Mile/Chernobyl/Fukushima against all the living damage petrochemicals have caused over the past 200+ years.

There's really no contest.

32 countries have nuclear power that generates about 10% of all man-made energy on earth. In 70+ years of nuclear energy, how many incidents have there been?

Properly managed, it's just another form of energy.

BTW, plant-based plastics are still plastics with the same end-of-life problems. And do you know how much fossil fuel is needed to farm and produce it? More than goes into producing petrochemical-based plastics!

Don't let facts get in the way of your argument, Bob :wink:
Licensed to Krill

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Post by rSin »

months after 3mile island,
as if poisoning all the indians within hundreds of miles
a tailing damn broke and unleashed the largest nuclear waste release north america has ever seen! ran at least 100 miles downstream. still not cleaned up

80% of najavo indian residences are contaminated with uranium
and the miners who walked away from it all are back at it hope the federal government will overrules native american restrictions on mining so they can get back to actively poisoning them and us all again as soon as possible

now that were supposedly not going to buy anymore nuclear fuel from russia again...

if you dont dig it, it cant poison us
if you dont build them they cant meltdown

not to mention the waste which will be a significant threat for millions of years at least
the intolerance of the old order is emerging from the rosy mist in which it has hitherto been obscured.

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 1332 times
Received Karma : 936 times

Post by Butcher Bob »

Prawn Connery wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 9:49 pm
Ah Bob, I'll wager your 3-Mile/Chernobyl/Fukushima against all the living damage petrochemicals have caused over the past 200+ years.

There's really no contest.
I'd take that bet.
Can you think of any 20 year old petroleum disasters that nature hasn't taken care of?
Chernobyl should be inhabitable again in what...another 50,000 years?
Yes, there really is no contest. :wink:

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Post by rSin »

whats worse,
around chernobyl the destruction of the ecosphere means that dead trees dont even rot away so they stand and dry and then when forrest fires reach there all the radio-nuclitides theyve absorbed are released into the air as components in aresols which travel and poison areas beyond what the initial incident comtaminated.

in japan, their finding that living trees absorb similar nuclear waste and release it with their pollen each year doing the same

in northwest america and canada our forests are accumulating radioactive contamination from Fukushima as fish which return to the oceans for years accumulate it then swim up freshwater streams where their deaths contaminate these waters and lands as bears drag them out of the water to rot on the land

these incidents will never be over...

Lrus007
Advanced Grower
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: hash and oil maker
Has bestowed Karma : 1125 times
Received Karma : 1759 times

Post by Lrus007 »

Intrinsic wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 6:49 pm
No need to, already did

The diameter of the Earth is 24900 miles.
the formula for the surface area of a sphere is A=4πr^2

therefore Earth's surface area is
4*π*(24,900/2)^2 = 1,947,818,861
About 195,000,000 square miles.

From
https://www.axionpower.com/knowledge/po ... re%20miles.
It would take 51.4 billion 350W solar panels to power the world! Put another way, this is the equivalent of a solar power plant that covers 115,625 square miles

Therefore the ratio for the surface area of earth has compared to surface area we would need is:
195,000,000/115,625 approximately equal to 1,686.

Therefore if we covered the Earth and solar panels we would have enough electricity to power Humanity a thousand times over.
:toker1:
via your link, that is just electric. does not cover needs to replace all fossil fuels. gas, nat gas, diesel coal ect. ect.
as for nuke shit. they make those plants for 1 reason to make weapons. the waste is toxic damn near forever.
My therapist says I am a habitual liar and an attention seeker, therefore nothing I say/write is true and under no circumstances should I be believed nor held accountable for anything I say. all photo's are paintings

People are born with the instinct to fight against their own death, to struggle with their last breath against even the most unavoidable and uncompromising ends.

deran
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Custom Title: time bandit
Has bestowed Karma : 63 times
Received Karma : 107 times

Post by deran »

tec is way off with panels, i want me my 1000W/m², if i dont get it... i made a wrong decission
awoken the right way