Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 423 times
Received Karma : 521 times

Renewable energy?....not so renewable.

Post by Prawn Connery »

The volume of nuclear waste produced each year is really quite small – as in, half a swimming pool for the entire US each year. In many ways nuclear energy is one of (if not) the cleanest forms of energy due to the small amounts of uranium and processing needed to generate vast amounts of power.

One day technology will catch up and we'll probably figure out what to do with those spent rods. In fact, some companies claim over 96% can already be recycled.

Battery technology will evolve and lithium will likely be replaced by carbon and other more common materials.

The moral of the story is, you have to start somewhere. Just like petroleum engines and gas/coal turbines have ben made more and more efficient over the decades, renewable energy and battery technology will also evolve to become more efficient over time.

Oil has served its useful purpose for this stage of human evolution, but it has been one of (if not) the most damaging periods in history. Plastics are the biggest form of petrochemical pollution. I do hope one day we can replace them with carbon fibre technology, which would be another way to remove carbon or prevent it entering the atmosphere.
Licensed to Krill

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by Prawn Connery »

On a side note, this could be the unicorn thread where most of us end up agreeing! Or have I spoken too soon? :toker1:
Licensed to Krill

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: world where everone gets
Has bestowed Karma : 1668 times
Received Karma : 1063 times

Post by rSin »

you have.
not buying the corperate clap on nuclear. nuclear is NEVER a clean options. no matter russia pressing ahead with newer reactor types.
any industry which cant afford insurance on itself should be cut off at the neck. NOT allowed to continue with governments promise to clean up after it
the intolerance of the old order is emerging from the rosy mist in which it has hitherto been obscured.

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Post by rSin »

but im with you on everything else
a real sleeper technology will be organic manipulation where we start programming plants to grow the things we need. its not unfeasable that someday even batterys could be made this way. certainly all kinds of things we currently need to assemble out of seperately manufactured parts

3d prints is revolutionizing everything. all constructed forms are going to become incredible organic looking in design as traditional inhibiters to machining and casting are left behind.
the intolerance of the old order is emerging from the rosy mist in which it has hitherto been obscured.

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by Prawn Connery »

As long as it involves human activity, almost nothing is a "clean" option as every form of energy produces waste. I don't think it's "corporate clap" to state that nuclear energy currently involves less physical waste than other forms of energy, even though I'm not silly enough to deny that nuclear waste is highly toxic and potentially dangerous.

The real issue with nuclear energy is how that waste is dealt with, as well as how the nuclear plants themselves are maintained to ensure they don't leak.

My personal opinion is it most probably will be some form of nuclear energy that eventually gets us to other solar systems. Radiation isn't an issue in space and solar energy is not an option when you are too far away from a star. Nothing else is as compact, long-lasting or energy-intensive. So I think nuclear energy still has its place until we discover something better. But given E=MC2 then it becomes obvious why uranium has so much potential energy compared to other elements and compounds.
Licensed to Krill

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Post by rSin »

Prawn Connery wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 10:34 pm
The volume of nuclear waste produced each year is really quite small – as in, half a swimming pool for the entire US each year. In many ways nuclear energy is one of (if not) the cleanest forms of energy due to the small amounts of uranium and processing needed to generate vast amounts of power.
some things to know.
first. uranium fuel used in tradition reactors become 'spent' when their energy output drops to 92% of when new. at that point they are replaced with new fuel. just think about that for a moment and really let it sink in.

spent fuel is not what is refered to as 'depleted uranium'. depleted uranium is the byproduct of the production of the highly enriched uranium that is used as fuel. as of 2000 both the united states and russia had around 500,000 tons of depleted uranium.

think of it this way fill a column a few inches in diameter and 3 feet long with your uranium ore. them hold one end and start swinging it in a giant circle. your inducing momentum on the column and its content and the densed material will migrate to end furthest away from the end your holding. your concentrating the heaviest elements which are the hot particles you want. eventually you stop and cut a couple inches off the far end of the column. that is your highly enriched uranium. everything else has some percentage of uranium but its not useful so you label it depleted. the momentum of your process left it depleted.

heh.

its not quite as heavy as the highly enriched but its still something like 86% denser than lead so it has uses. armor plating is one. bullets is another. weighted things like sailboat keels and parts in planes where the density means they can fit the weight the need into smaller areas so its very useful

but the shit partially vaporizes when those bullets or armor is hit with explosives or explosively projected into other hard objects. those parts in planes will see fire in crashes and it will oxidize a layer or powder which then goes air born. which is why most plane manufacturer gave up using. it.

lots of tank crews got cancer simply but having to sit on the stuff in their tanks.

id really like to ready your sources on such a high recovery processing you mention there prawn. the way i understand it. whenever you process spent uranium, you create MORE dangerously radioactive material because of all the stuff you contaminate in the process of processing it.

sorry, this was a total ramble.
check it out

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depleted_uranium

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Post by rSin »

ive only recently discovered this science youtuber
i think his clips are great

roller24
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 332 times
Received Karma : 494 times

Post by roller24 »

I see the whole Climate Change crisis as mostly bullshit, and i'm very pro conservationist.
There is no absolute confirmation that it is imminent the world will fall apart, in x years because muh global warming.
How many predicted global d-days have we passed by now, 6 or 7?

As we have observed in the pandemic, that science confirms whatever the established powers determine that it confirms.
We can't even decide if face masks work, yet we can solidly confirm that the world will end, from bad weather.

I'm all for keeping the environment viable, and live my life accordingly. I use very little water, I don't litter, and I don't travel a great deal.
I think we should treat nature with great respect.

Over the years the US has made great strides in developing clean energy, and modern technology to improve air and water quality, and this is a good thing.
Now here's what I don't understand....

Why does the Green Agenda demand taking control over every aspect of our existence by 2030, and disrupt the lives of millions, instead of a transition that would achieve a cleaner world without bankrupting the regular folks.

Why do they need to seize control over farming? Transportation? Household appliances? Virtually every aspect of living is centered around an agenda based on a speculated future?

Why did the entire global banking industry incorporate ESG lending policies to manipulate consumers and industries to bend to the will of the climate crowd, or be excluded from buying or lending outside of these policies?

Why is every state government on earth disregarding democratic values and forcing these policies down the throat of their constituents?

All while ironically fully supporting the country of China that seems to have little regard for environmental issues, and further more bending to the will of said country due to their economic prowess. China will benefit from American climate agenda greatly and will further nurture our dependence of them for yet another critical aspect of existence.

All I see is the controllers of society, fortifying their control in anticipation of the collapse of their fiat system.
biden-world-bank-pick-wins-top-job-signals-climate-change-shift
All the while banks are falling like dominos
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/03/pacwest ... -sale.html

It's always the banks.

deran
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Custom Title: time bandit
Has bestowed Karma : 63 times
Received Karma : 107 times

Post by deran »

We steal from the unborn. :frown:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

you are doing it wrong, as you cant steal from unborn, so my advise would be to steal from born ones, especially shit, as shit is renewable energy for generations and generations
awoken the right way

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Has bestowed Karma : 1818 times
Received Karma : 1594 times

Post by Intrinsic »

Huh? By definition renewable energy is renewable or wouldn't be renewable.
your beef is with the efficiency of ♻️

unnecessary side note the sun, source of all Renewables, is only good for another 5 billion years or so. :whistle: