Zappa – the more things change, the more they stay the same

After enjoying the fruits of your labors, we all need a place to chill. This is that place. Totally senseless irrelevant banter encouraged.
Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 427 times
Received Karma : 522 times

Post by Prawn Connery »

I swear, when you listen to Valley Girl 40 years later, you realise just how much kids haven't changed at all.

The worst part is, I was younger than 14-year-old Moon Unit when she sung it in 1982, and I'm sure WE ALL SPOKE JUST LIKE THAT!

WTF happened? I guess I grew up . . . but fuck me if teenaged girls still don't talk like this. Maybe Australia is just 40 years behind the US.

Yeah, that's probably it.

Ram it, ram it, ram it, ram it up your poop chute!
Don't fool yourself girl, it's goin' right up your poop chute!
Licensed to Krill

Lrus007
Advanced Grower
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: hash and oil maker
Has bestowed Karma : 1133 times
Received Karma : 1781 times

Post by Lrus007 »

did a torrent of all franks music was almost 1000 lps.
My therapist says I am a habitual liar and an attention seeker, therefore nothing I say/write is true and under no circumstances should I be believed nor held accountable for anything I say. all photo's are paintings

People are born with the instinct to fight against their own death, to struggle with their last breath against even the most unavoidable and uncompromising ends.

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: world where everone gets
Has bestowed Karma : 1668 times
Received Karma : 1064 times

Post by rSin »

grew up a half hour from resida but that talk was unusual back then when that tune came out

that song always had a shredding riff, then and now
Last edited by rSin on Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
the intolerance of the old order is emerging from the rosy mist in which it has hitherto been obscured.

Lrus007
Advanced Grower
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: hash and oil maker
Has bestowed Karma : 1133 times
Received Karma : 1781 times

Post by Lrus007 »

well i happen to know mark and howard also known as flo & eddy.
sadly mark is not well had to quit singing. also know jeff simmons.
they all were with zappa at 1 time or another. all of them are great guy's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eO238w7mVY
My therapist says I am a habitual liar and an attention seeker, therefore nothing I say/write is true and under no circumstances should I be believed nor held accountable for anything I say. all photo's are paintings

People are born with the instinct to fight against their own death, to struggle with their last breath against even the most unavoidable and uncompromising ends.

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by Prawn Connery »

rSin wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:42 pm
grew up a half hour from resida but that talk was unusual back then when that tune came out
Well, Zappa was either ahead of his time or you were just too old to hear it mate :toker1:
"Like, Oh my GAWD! Like, totally! Encino is, like, so bitchen. There's, like, the Galleria. And, like, all these, like, really great shoe stores. I love going into, like, clothing stores and stuff." - 1982
You can't, like, tell me girls and, like, boys don't, like, talk like this - oh my gawd! Like, totally they do and stuff!

You're, like, some totally dried up old scrote grandpa, like, who doesn't even understand us, like, you know? You're so gross and stuff, I don't wanna even, like, think about how, like, old you are and stuff. Ew!
Licensed to Krill

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: world where everone gets
Has bestowed Karma : 1668 times
Received Karma : 1064 times

Post by rSin »

it is an odd thing
being just into the years im starting to feel like a solid adult and wondering how i pulled it off those decades i was just a kid and seeing all these young adults in those place that are now just memories

its fucked we lost frank like we did
the intolerance of the old order is emerging from the rosy mist in which it has hitherto been obscured.

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by Prawn Connery »

Probably shouldn't have banged all those groupies and got prostate cancer.
Licensed to Krill

ripper5
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 2224 times
Received Karma : 1646 times

Post by ripper5 »

I was in high school back then. We didn't speak like that at all. Ya want to know what it was like back then? "Dazed and Confused" the movie is the best example. Other than the hazing, which never happened around these parts, it's pretty much spot on & no "valley girl" sound offs to be heard. :toker1:

Sure, teenage girls around the world share some characteristics of expression in common, but this is an accent & dialect that belongs almost exclusively to some valley in Cali.

Zappa and the Mothers are up there with Zeppelin and Floyd as bands I regret missing.

The man was a musical genius and he stood tall for freedom of expression. That being said, he was too hypocritical about getting high for someone who smoked cigarettes like a chimney, imo. His music is so acid drenched good at times, it's hard to believe he was such a prude.

webeblzr
good karma
good karma
Has bestowed Karma : 139 times
Received Karma : 175 times

Post by webeblzr »

For me, that time was a mad scramble, to keep steady work, in my sights. I was working a few jobs, to make ends meet. My daughter was 4, my son 2, and the ex was a nutter.
I had always been attracted to odd and unusual music, and loved Franks work. I did not know much at all of Dwezil or Moonunits work, myself.
My fav album of 82, Laurie Anderson Big Science had captured me, and was played many many times on my game changing Walkman Cassett. What a big clunky thing that was, but damn, music while I welded? That was Big Science!
WOW memory blast!

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by Prawn Connery »

I obviously didn't live in the US, and we got most of our American culture from Hollywood, so perhaps it wasn't surprising a lot of the teens tried mimicking their Cali peers. The Aussie accent used to be very British as late as the 60s and early 70s but it gets more and more American every year.
Licensed to Krill