I'm Trying To Find The Right Home For This. Are you a USC Graduate???

After enjoying the fruits of your labors, we all need a place to chill. This is that place. Totally senseless irrelevant banter encouraged.
WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: Turbine Powered Toker
Has bestowed Karma : 521 times
Received Karma : 217 times

How Could You Possibly Be More Wrong!!! What, Are You An Idiot!?!?!

Post by WhiteHotAfterburner »

roller24 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:02 pm
https://www.rubylane.com/item/398016-97 ... r-Hallmark

very similiar markings
How could you possibly be more wrong!!! What, are you an idiot!?!?! :roflmao:

They aren't "similar", they are IDENTICAL!

I admit I did not search for Hallmark, I probably should have - it didn't come to mind.

I am of the opinion that that IS THE MAKER of this USC Letter Opener. Surely Makers Marks (Hallmarks) aren't shared, I wouldn't think!

It too has those identical symbols AND what looks to be an "8" along with the following undecipherable stamping.

Dude, that is a solid HIT! I am convinced.

Thank you so very much, my friend! I could not appreciate it more. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

IF you were local with a qualifying medical condition I'd send you home with some great medicine (Gratis)! :grin: :winky:

:tup: :tup: :tup:

You're :smoke:!,
WHAB
Last edited by WhiteHotAfterburner on Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Pete-Repeat! :-D

roller24 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:02 pm
https://www.rubylane.com/item/398016-97 ... r-Hallmark

very similiar markings
Pete-Repeat! :winky: :roflmao:

How could you possibly be more wrong!!! What, are you an idiot!?!?! :roflmao:

They aren't "similar", they are IDENTICAL!

I admit I did not search for Hallmark, I probably should have - it didn't come to mind.

I am of the opinion that that IS THE MAKER of this USC Letter Opener. Surely Makers Marks (Hallmarks) aren't shared, I wouldn't think!

It too has those identical symbols AND what looks to be an "8" along with the following undecipherable stamping.

Dude, that is a solid HIT! I am convinced.

Thank you so very much, my friend! I could not appreciate it more. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

IF you were local with a qualifying medical condition I'd send you home with some great medicine (Gratis)! :grin: :winky:

:tup: :tup: :tup:

You put forth the extra effort so, I'll duplicate your effort at least! :roflmao:

Edit Add: Since you're here. When are WE getting our Green Man Smile back?!?! :winky: :roflmao:

You're :smoke:!,
WHAB

roller24
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 331 times
Received Karma : 493 times

Post by roller24 »

:grin: I saw the first line of your post and thought Prawn hijacked your account. Glad I got something right this week. :roflmao:

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Wouldn't That Have Been An Honor, To Have Prawn Controlling My Posts?!?! :winky:

roller24 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:30 pm
:grin: I saw the first line of your post and thought Prawn hijacked your account. Glad I got something right this week. :roflmao:
:grin: :grin: :grin: :woohoo: :winky: :smoke:

Wouldn't that have been an honor, to have Prawn controlling my posts?!?! :winky: :roflmao:

So, instead of what I had to get done, I decided to venture even farther down that Rabbit Hole - based on your narrowing my path of information, and your expanding my data set!!! :tup:

Actually, my jammed thumb is preventing much of any use of it, still :frown: I 1/2 way jammed it again and it let me know it's not having any part in my plans! :winky:

I contacted that seller on that site.

I messaged them:

"Dear Xxx Xxxxx,

My name is Xxxxxxxxxxx. Pleasure to make your virtual acquaintance.

I hope I'm not intruding with a non-purchase query, but I have to try.

I've had this item many, many years. I've searched for any reference to it or anything similar to it for as many years.

Just today someone linked your URL after they'd seen some of the pictures of this item.

The Hallmarks on yours are identical to the (Maker Marks) to mine.

I'm assuming identical marking would indicate identical maker, correct?

The face of the one I have has a "University of Southern Cal - Founded 1880" medallion affixed to it.

Any information you may possibly impart to me regards this item would be of great interest.

Or any suggestions on where I could better find its information would equally be appreciated. IF you could possibly point me in the right direction. I don't want to take up too much of your time.

I have several pictures of it at the ready IF you were keen to see them? I even went as far as taking pictures of the back with a Wireless Microscope recently. Those last characters in that stamping are indecipherable, save what looks to be a "8" or a "B". The symbols are clearly identical in these images.

Again, I hope I'm not intruding.

Thank you for your time and consideration regards this matter.

A melodious evening to you!

Sincerely,"
XXXX :roflmao:

I also sent a truncated, more applicable version of the above to USC"s "Library" page. Shot in the dark there. I looked at several of their pages, they didn't really have any easily observable means of contact...unless a student, staff, faculty or alumni...non of which I presently am :winky:

We'll see what if anything returns of them.

You NAILED IT, man!

THANK YOU, again, so very, very much, brother Roller24!!! :dreamon: :allhailme: :grin:

Thanks for that, too! :winky: Good to have him back!

Also, I really like the Great Page Reduction Act of 2021 executed in the Emoji's window! Nice! :tup:

Warm regards,
WHAB

roller24
Karma God
Karma God

Post by roller24 »

I had to dig a Grease trap hole once for my restaurant in MD. I was broke (thanks to my architect) and needed to get open so I couldn't pay any one to dig it. It had to be 10x10x10. The ground was stiff and roots abounded. I dug for 6 hours. I was whooped and was getting ready to throw in the towel. The whole project had gone sideways, and I was unsure if I would ever open the doors. I was just reaching the 5 ft deep mark and found an old coin. It was a 1917 silver half dollar. I dug for 5 more hours because I was certain there was a cigar box full of them just waiting to be found. Optimistic me. I finished the hole. 3 days later the plumber showed up withe grease trap and an excavator to lift it in. Pretty sure he would have dug the hole in 15 mins. I felt stupid, but hey.. 50 cents in my pocket.

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: world where everone gets
Has bestowed Karma : 1668 times
Received Karma : 1063 times

Post by rSin »

man ive dug alot of holes for this or that shit but never anything that big

i also inherited a 30's era letterwomans sweater
its a tiny thing
this girl couldnt have weight 90 lbs

and her name is embroidered into the back of the collar
and written on what seems an original wooden hanger

ive think ive nailed down what high school it represents, but
havnt found who to gift it to

interested in finding a picture of the girl...
the intolerance of the old order is emerging from the rosy mist in which it has hitherto been obscured.

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

roller24 wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:58 pm
I had to dig a Grease trap hole once for my restaurant in MD. I was broke (thanks to my architect) and needed to get open so I couldn't pay any one to dig it. It had to be 10x10x10. The ground was stiff and roots abounded. I dug for 6 hours. I was whooped and was getting ready to throw in the towel. The whole project had gone sideways, and I was unsure if I would ever open the doors. I was just reaching the 5 ft deep mark and found an old coin. It was a 1917 silver half dollar. I dug for 5 more hours because I was certain there was a cigar box full of them just waiting to be found. Optimistic me. I finished the hole. 3 days later the plumber showed up withe grease trap and an excavator to lift it in. Pretty sure he would have dug the hole in 15 mins. I felt stupid, but hey.. 50 cents in my pocket.
I believe what you were looking for is called a "Spill", being as a cigar box (or other paper based coin holding items) wouldn't have lasted very long in the Earth.

I was following a few metal detecting YouTube channels a while back. Pretty interesting stuff!

IF there is one coin there are typically others.

I'm sure a 1917 Silver Half Dollar is worth more than $.50 :winky: The melt value is $8.15 as of October 02, 2021.

IF it is a particular mint in a particular condition it could be A LOT more!

They make you dig a hole twice as big as a grave to trap grease? I've never heard of such a thing. I've worked on restaurants in California, seeing them in various stages of construction, and I don't believe I have ran across one.

:rockon:,
WHAB

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

rSin wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:48 am
man ive dug alot of holes for this or that shit but never anything that big

i also inherited a 30's era letterwomans sweater
its a tiny thing
this girl couldnt have weight 90 lbs

and her name is embroidered into the back of the collar
and written on what seems an original wooden hanger

ive think ive nailed down what high school it represents, but
havnt found who to gift it to

interested in finding a picture of the girl...
That's very interesting, Ben. Sounds pretty neat!

Hand off the search to Roller, he's VERY adept at it (see proof above)! :winky:

I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of it IF you have one, Ben :tup:

:rockon:,
WHAB

roller24
Karma God
Karma God

Post by roller24 »

it was one of these..... for 2 fucking fryers and a 3 compartment sink. I argued that I didn't need such a beast, and could have been fine with an interior under sink, but their reasoning was "future use", and because I had changed a non food space to a food space, this was the county minimum. Had it been an old restaurant, there would not have been an issue. I gave the half dollar to my son a couple years ago, it was not in fine or very fine condition, so maybe 30 bucks. I think I have the year correct, I looked it up years ago, and don't remember getting excited about what I found as it's value.

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: world where everone gets
Has bestowed Karma : 1668 times
Received Karma : 1063 times

Post by rSin »

watched once
this 6 foot deep trench
one side colapsed
caught a guy standing in it up to his knees

fuck...
the intolerance of the old order is emerging from the rosy mist in which it has hitherto been obscured.