Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: Turbine Powered Toker
Has bestowed Karma : 521 times
Received Karma : 217 times

WHAB: Still Forming Woodworking Shop & Future Grow Resid

Post by WhiteHotAfterburner »

I've been trying to do this in the order in which it occurred, to the best of my ability - but, this one is going to jump that order. I literally just got it done before starting this post.

I'm not just sitting here composing threads or composing responses to others threads :grin:

Time waits for no man (not gender specific! :roflmao:)!

I mentioned the commercial now-propane range I was offered the use of. Well, after I got it all done (I did the Natural Gas to Liquid Propane conversion - even through I tried to hire it out) and fired it up only the oven pilot really worked and it is going out regularly (will probably have to change it out) (or do what I just did to the top of the range, maybe. It is a "Safety" valve and I may not be able to safely bypass it. Probably not even a good idea to even consider. But, that valve ranges anywhere from $90 to over $200 :frown:).

With the top pilots not staying lit meant I couldn't use the griddle. I can light the top burners with at BBQ lighter (those long tipped lighters). That was never going to be possible with the griddle. The front lip is overlapped by the front cover. And, it is around 80lbs (if memory serves. it's 11-1/4" wide, 23" long and 1" thick - solid steel). There is no way to get to the pilot area or the burner when the range is assembled.

I was really looking forward to cooking on the griddle. I have never cooked on a flat top griddle at home. I hear it's great way to cook. So, I rolled it around in my Thought Process Machine for a few days and I hit on a Piezo Igniter idea. They're on most modern appliances, even restaurant cooklines, like where this came out of.

Wiki: "Piezo ignition is a type of ignition that is used in portable camping stoves, gas grills and some lighters, and potato cannons. Piezo ignition uses the principle of piezoelectricity, which, in short, is the electric charge that accumulates in some materials in response to high pressure."

A crystal of some sort, as I understand it.

Now I had to figure out a way to position it just right. Using the pilot bracket that came with the range was not possible. It's butt up against the burner. The tip of the piezo ignitor has to be positioned just right but the ground insulator gives it some reach that exceeds that bracket.

I started thinking "Where do I have a piece of thin material I can fab a bracket out of. Thin enough I can easily manipulate its shape but have it be rigid enough to do some work holding the piezo ignitor." I walked around and walked around. Peaking in here, poking in there. Nothing. Then it hit me.

I don't tend to thrown things away. I only recently threw away some original boxes things came in. Some more than a couple of decades old. I would have kept them but the only space I have for keeping things like that is the space I'm sharing a woodworking woodshop and residence in :roflmao:. I have kept a zip-lock baggie (tattered as it is - stuff falling out of it! :grin:) with shim stock for literally 30 years. They're dated "coupons". Test material. Inventoried and inspected and stamped test materiel. It may be going on the shuttle and the detail of manufacture is crazy like that! :winky: The radiused ones here I must have used to catch a radius on an already made part.

Perfect! But, one the first one I fabbed (I'm going to need at least 3 in total, maybe 5), I didn't fully comprehend what the material would do when I processed it (although I surely should have known better :roflmao:) - drilling a large hole through it to accept the piezo assembly. I clamped it down to a firm surface. But, I only clamped one end of the material down and left the other end flying in the breeze and boy did it fly! :roflmao: Luckily I had my hand-carried anvil! (a piece of steel I used to evict some of the previous residents here - more on that at some point) I was able to flatten it out sufficient for what I needed to do.

Oh, after I had the basic shape figured out I looked around for my sheet metal shears. I own the whole set. Left, Right and Straight. No idea where they are at - they may be in my storage unit 2 hours away! :laugh: I've been packing this sheet metal notcher (corner cutter) for as long as I have packed around that shim stock (coupons). I have never once used them. I gave them away at one time. The person never took them and I was, at that time, thankful they didn't. I really hate getting rid of stuff! :roflmao:

Fixed it. Got it installed. Tested it out. Success! Except for as I was looking at it in awe and patting myself on the back I allowed the wooden prop I put in place to hold that 80lbs of solid steel to catch fire! :roflmao:

I think I will have to fine tune its placement - not directly in the flame. I think it's supposed to be beneath a flame. I'm not really sure. But I know it's not a thermocouple that resides within the flame.

I'm just going to lay the pics out. You can associate them with the text as your brain will allow! :laugh:

*That organization laying the pictures out really is an incredible time suck!*
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 0000 01212021.png
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 0001 01212021.png
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 0002 01212021.png
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 0003 01212021.png
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 0004 01212021.png
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 0004 01212021.png (6.34 MiB) Viewed 1708 times
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 0005 01212021.png
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 0005 01212021.png (6.95 MiB) Viewed 1708 times
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 0006 01212021.png
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 0007 01212021.png
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 0008 01212021.png
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 0009 01212021.png
:puffpass:

:smoke:

:wave:,
WHAB

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: world where everone gets
Has bestowed Karma : 1668 times
Received Karma : 1063 times

Post by rSin »

A secret space within another secret space is where your work really kills
the intolerance of the old order is emerging from the rosy mist in which it has hitherto been obscured.

dill786
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Custom Title: memento mori
Has bestowed Karma : 955 times
Received Karma : 745 times

Post by dill786 »

genius......
Kuchisabishii

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

dill786 wrote:genius......
Tips hat. Thank you, kind sir!

What's even better is that I was hoping (without measuring) the button would fit in the existing slots in the face panel. It does!
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 0010 01212021.png
The other 2 I know I'm putting in will fit even better - symmetrically. :wink:

:smoke:,
WHAB

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Well, that bit me in the ass - TWICE! :roflmao:

I couldn't find any information about leaving the tip of the igniter in the flame save one. I looked and looked and watched a few videos. Only one states it directly. It makes sense to me not to leave it in a flame. So I decided I'd reposition it. Since it needs to be approximately located where the old gas pilot is I moved it. I just released it from its perch and tucked it under the frame on the side.

As I was in there working like I was in a 1956 Ford F100 engine compartment trying to save it the griddle slammed down on my arm. That block of wood saved me. The griddle actually landed on the wood which fell over onto my arm saving my arm from a direct hit. My arm was pinned to the range, the wood on top of my arm, the griddle on top of the wood. IF 80lbs of steel had landed directly on my outstretched arm I'm pretty sure it would have broken it.

Then when I was setting it up again to get back in there it fell again and caught the tip of my thumb on its way down. It took half of the tip of my thumbnail (not sure how that happened precisely) and cut the side of my thumb near the nail (I know how that happened. I was there when it happened! :roflmao:). Bled quite a bit. I wrapped it up in a folded paper towel and painters tape (the blue stuff :grin:) and marched on. *reminded me I should probably have a First Aid Kit here :toker1:*

I'm pretty sure I got it. While it looks like it is in the flame, it's just the angle of the shot. If this hasn't fixed it I've already formulated Piezo Igniter Retrofit 2.0 in my Thought Process Machine :winky:

Got'er done. Planning burgers tonight, I think. Gotta get the range back together...without dying! :roflmao:
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 0011 01212021.png
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 0012 01212021.png
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 0013 01212021.png
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 0014 01212021.png
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 0015 01212021.png
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 0016 01212021.png
**second picture of my thumb was after I was done. I had to take the "bandage" off because I had to use that thumb print to open my phone! :roflmao: **

:rollitiup:,
WHAB

anu
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Has bestowed Karma : 4 times
Received Karma : 16 times

WHAB: Still Forming Woodworking Shop & Future Grow Residence

Post by anu »

Way to Go Mon !! Looks like a nice property and no neighbors breathing on you !! Good luck !!
The notion of collective ownership implies a democratic approach to the utilization of resources - economic democracy.

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

WHAB: Still Forming Woodworking Shop & Future Grow Residence

anu wrote:Way to Go Mon !! Looks like a nice property and no neighbors breathing on you !! Good luck !!
Hey there anu!!!

Great to see you, my old friend!

I hope time is treating you well!

Yeah, great place to be. I like it out here. Nearest living noises I hear are of the bovine type...awesome. And, yeah, maybe I am anti-social! :roflmao:

And, IF things go to hell, I'll be eating protein straight from the volunteer long after others are dead fighting over the last of the smashed potatoes lying under foot!!! :laugh: (just kidding, I wouldn't want to see society to get that way...not here anyway)

I do hope you and yours are well and fine! :tup:

WHAB

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Well, that was a fail.

I knew the bracket was a bit on the flimsy side. It had to be for me to create that form, the twist in it. I also knew that any stress on the wire could move the igniter. While I was putting things back together, I had that rolled cap piece back on (the overlapping piece that traps the griddle in place) to the point of having a screws that hold it in place back in place, the wire end with the button end on it connected to the face panel got away from me and obviously tugged on the wire. I tried it, it wouldn't light. I took it back apart, made the adjustments to get it working again, and put it back together again, and you can see the blue tape on it (I had learned my lesson!) and it got away from me again and pulled on the wire again. Each time removing the griddle out of the way completely :frown: While it did provide a better working environment, it''s quite a hunk of steel and bending over the stove and reaching out to put to remove it and put it back is not movement my back enjoys! There's like two height adjustment bolts way in the back. There is a lip on the underside that catches on them in both directions that I have to raise it over each time - in and out! :crazy:

Introducing Piezo Igniter Retrofit 2.0 :roflmao:

My brain is insisting this was a brake anti squeal shim, but I don't find it anywhere. It is a part that comes in a kit of some sort and it's there if you need it. I have seen them before but my brain can't get past brake anti squeal shim. Anyway, it's another thing I didn't throw away, of course! :grin: It's more rigid (thicker material) and it has the grounded igniter insulator hole pre-drilled! :woohoo: I saw it yesterday and pushed it aside thinking it was too thick for the twist and I could better use it somewhere else - maybe in 30 more years!!! :laugh:

I made a cardboard template this time (I saved that Ritz box for that very reason...not necessarily this template but any template! :wink:) and worked out a few aspects of it including breaking it (bending it) (in my shop made metal break :wink:) close to the hole that will now hold that backside jam-nut, capturing it in place, meaning I'll only have to work one wrench when tightening it down instead of in that tight space.

I put it in place and tried it in a few places before I hit on where it is now. It is only in there temporarily, c-clamped in place. I'll give it a few days and see if it holds up and in the interim I'm going to see if I can find a stronger piezo igniter. Sometimes it takes several strikes for the propane to fire up. Not sure why.

I'm hungry (still), I'm exhausted and damn if my thumb isn't aching like sumbitch! :roflmao:

*btw, I uploaded the images in reverse order and did not "Place inline". While it does not lay them out in order with the text they are associated with it is a sure time saver.*

Time for a :volcano:.

WHAB
Attachments
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 002 0001 01222021.png
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 002 0002 01222021.png
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 002 0002 01222021.png (9.44 MiB) Viewed 1235 times
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 002 0003 01222021.png
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 002 0004 01222021.png
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 002 0005 01222021.png
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 002 0006 01222021.png
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 002 0007 01222021.png
Piezo Ignitor Upgrade 002 0008 01222021.png

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Dang! I forgot. I haven't seasoned the grill yet :frown:

I did just give it the brick treatment (I'm not really sure what it is. They call if pumice. but then I see it's fiberglass. I don't like the idea of dragging fiberglass across my cooking surface! :confused:) and I will season it as soon as I can.

But, this is 'sort of' my first actual real-time woodworking post - sort of :wink:

I don't own a house vacuum. I had to resort to this. I should be beat for the sacrilege! :roflmao:

It is the first burgers cooked on the range. New cast iron pan, too. I have never own one of them, either.

I like the concept of cast iron and flat griddle cooking. We'll see how it works out after some time! :grin:

I am going to get some of my gear in the AM so I'm signing off.

Good night, friends and foes! :wink:

:puffpass:

WHAB
Attachments
Griddle Seasoning 0001 01222021.png
Griddle Seasoning 0002 01222021.png
Griddle Seasoning 0003 01222021.png
Griddle Seasoning 0004 01222021.png

ripper5
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda