Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: Turbine Powered Toker
Has bestowed Karma : 521 times
Received Karma : 217 times

WHAB: Still Forming Woodworking Shop & Future Grow Residence

Post by WhiteHotAfterburner »

First: I am glad I decided to return. I hope to see the many accounts that have been kind, friendly and generous to me. I'm forever grateful. I'm even glad to see some accounts that view me less favorably. That's life.

I missed you all!

I was going to start with pictures of the first woodworking space I set up but there are way too many and they're not on this machine or my current phone - both went tits up. I lost everything on the phone, unretrievable....and I still have that old box but I have never tried to open the hard drive since it took a shit.

I took a piled up mess of a storage building (here's one I took the time to C&P from IG)
Pile 0001 01202021.jpg
That pile was over 6 feet tall - and with the help of my BIL - created a functioning woodworking woodshop. I was really starting to get things sorted out. I built a few items there. Two special items to me, anyway. One was a bathroom cabinet I made out of the exhaust hood enclosure out of my sister's kitchen after she died. The other is very special in that the wood I used was salvaged from a 1950's rebuild of Fort Leonard Wood.

That all went South when my BIL kept digging deeper and deeper into my relatively - at the time - empty pockets and making unreasonable demands that forced me to leave - the end of 2019.

I landed here at my brother's place and was living in an RV my niece has here. While I was sitting it out I was planning on dropping a shed-to-house building here. I had my brother's approval. I was in discussions with the local vendor. I let him know my situation and he was very willing to help me out in any way he could.

My niece moved out. The 1924 Schoolhouse was offered to me.

This is how it started - August 2017 - first time I had ever seen it. Starting at the North wall and going clockwise.

*note: I just went and grabbed them from my IG account and saved them to this box. I won't be doing much more of that. What a PIA! But, I thought it was important as a starting point. At this point no one had any plans on doing anything with it. It was pretty run down. I had imagined it from the start that it would make a GREAT woodworking woodshop. Imagined.*
1924 Schoolhouse 0001 01202021.jpg
1924 Schoolhouse 0001 01202021.jpg (131.8 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
1924 Schoolhouse 0002 01202021.jpg
1924 Schoolhouse 0003 01202021.jpg
1924 Schoolhouse 0004 01202021.jpg
1924 Schoolhouse 0004 01202021.jpg (131.48 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
1924 Schoolhouse 0005 01202021.jpg
1924 Schoolhouse 0006 01202021.jpg
1924 Schoolhouse 0007 01202021.jpg
This was just beyond the dilapidated front doors. An amazing original 4 foot wide pocket door. My brother didn't actually own the place at that point so I didn't go beyond that measly padlock.
1924 Schoolhouse 0008 01202021.jpg
This is the original tin ceiling in that vestibule. Those are dirt dauber residences up there (you should see the attic :shock:. There is only one small piece of that original tin missing. There is a pallet of what they kept here on the property. I'll try and find a piece to fill it in.
1924 Schoolhouse 0009 01202021.jpg
*dang! I hit the 10 image upload limit!* *man, this takes way to long! :grin:*

*continued

**I was going to post more tonight but this is taking way too long. It's late and I'm hunger. More when I can (there is more :grin: )*

:smoke:,
WHAB
Last edited by WhiteHotAfterburner on Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Turn! Turn! Turn! A Still Forming Woodworking Residence.

I will post one more tonight.

This is a painting the Aunt of one of our neighbors painted a long time ago. It was given to my niece when they saw that she was fixing the place up.
20191210_181139.jpg
That is the South wall. That is the "erected 1924" placard to the right of the windows. Even though the artist got the date wrong. She painted it as 1923 :wink:.

The well is still there (although the concrete pad is larger now than it is in the painting). The hand pump is on the property still. That tree is still there. I took some pictures trying to duplicate the artist's perspective and I had to get out in the road beyond what is now a tree line to get even close.

Good night, friends!

Imma gonna go :volcano: some (not a Volcano, just an Arizer Extreme Q).

You all can have a :smoke: :wink:.

:wave:,
WHAB

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 1317 times
Received Karma : 921 times

Post by Butcher Bob »

:popcorn:

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Butcher Bob wrote::popcorn:
Glad to have ya aboard, mate! :toker1: Makes my heart smile to see you're still around! :tup:

*got a toothpick?* :laugh:

WHAB

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

The 10 image limit actually hit at a fairly good separation point. These are the pictures I took once my niece started working on the place - a few months after I took the above pictures. It was my niece, her Mom and her Mom's sister's husband - for the most part.

Only one of the 3 actually had any 'construction' experience, that I'm aware of. They did a great job, considering...
1924 Schoolhouse 0010 01202021.jpg
1924 Schoolhouse 0011 01202021.jpg
This original arched entryway is still there - behind the corrugated metal they put up. It's in really bad shape. I plan to try and tackle remaking the entryway, the double doors and even the arched window. I at least have what remains or the arched window to use as a template IF it doesn't crumble in my hands. The corrugated metal was put up as a quick and dirty way to get some covering on the openings. I'm pretty sure they were dealing with Winter and desired getting in as quickly as they could.
1924 Schoolhouse 0012 01202021.jpg
This is the South wall, standing at the pocket door. It's the wall shown in the painting. That crack on the West wall visible in this picture is the only crack that I can see that penetrates to the exterior.
1924 Schoolhouse 0013 01202021.jpg
The West wall, also taken from the pocket door, it's the wall with the FIVE 5 foot tall windows.
1924 Schoolhouse 0014 01202021.jpg
The North wall. That horizontal strip is where I think a chalkboard was mounted. It is the North wall so it's best to guard against Winter on that wall and would make sense to mount a chalkboard there. It is where all the systems are now located. Electric/Water/Septic...etc. What you'll note here is the tin ceiling hanging down, the new floor joists are in (not done correctly, but they're in) and the pocket door. It is the second pocket door that was once between the classroom and the cloakroom. It matches the other pocket door - both being 4 feet wide on their original trolley's! The bottom of that door was rotted when I saw it. It's been outside since this picture was taken and has further deteriorated. A few of the panel insets are still intact and I can use them as a pattern for the door style/rail and panel profiles.
1924 Schoolhouse 0015 01202021.jpg
Here's what reminds me of a wall at the Alamo (or other like structure back in the day). It was caused by water/weather damage. When I first saw the place and mulling ideas I always thought it be great if it was preserved in some way if only as a historic fact. I have not come up with a method to preserve it. It is water/weather and termite damaged. Also note, the two doorways are in this picture. The floor joists are present. And, this is the first view of the built-in shelves in the cloakroom. There are two sets of built-in shelves. The other set of shelves are on the opposite side of that wall in between the chimney and the pocket door.
1924 Schoolhouse 0016 01202021.jpg
Here are those shelves. Also something I would not have done. My niece removed some of the shelves to put a bathroom sink in. I'm hoping to find all of the missing shelves and restore them to that location. I have located one of the missing shelves. It was reused as a shelf under the loft. The bathroom sink and it's cabinet would fit nicely under that window in the picture. I'd like to relocate the sink there. It is where it belonged.
1924 Schoolhouse 0017 01202021.jpg
The first set of shelves, that window where the sink should have gone, the matching window to the right of that and the other set of shelves peeking in.
1924 Schoolhouse 0018 01202021.jpg
The far wall in the cloakroom. That wall is shared with the wall in the vestibule. Those two strips of wood are still there (probably for coat hooks, I surmise). The second set of shelves on the right.
1924 Schoolhouse 0019 01202021.jpg
The original tin ceiling in the cloakroom is fully intact. Except for sharing these decades with dirt daubers it's AMAZING!!!
(Can't post this image here. Hit the 10 image limit. The limit did not hit at a good point here :wink: I'll try and post it at another point. It's amazing it's still there!)

The vestibule is 6 feet x 6 feet. The cloakroom is 6 feet x 14 feet. And, as mentioned, the main space is 22 feet x 30 feet (the 30 feet might actually be the exterior of the building, I'm pretty sure it is. That means the interior of this 30 feet x 30 feet building is really 28 feet x 28 feet (not including the inside corners of the bump-out in the front)).

My niece had an engineer out here to survey the building. He gave the structure good marks. He even approved of putting a second story on the place. I don't know any more details than that. I wanted to speak to the engineer but my niece says she no longer has that information.

Man, this posting stuff is a time suck! :grin:

:rollitiup: :toker1:

WHAB

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

This deserves to be posted. In this room and in the vestibule, I have no intention of doing anything to the original tin ceiling. They're amazing. The only thing I would do if I were to do anything to them is restore them. Anyone can install tin ceilings, and they look great. No one can install these tin ceilings - they're 1924 tin ceilings. They can only be installed originally just one time. (Out here in the boonies, by the way. Town is about 20 miles away. My nearest neighbors are of the hoofed variety! :laugh:) They carried all of those building supplies out here into the hinterland :grin:
1924 Schoolhouse 0020 01202021.jpg
These pictures show the place the day I took up occupancy. (Starting at the first pocket door and moving clockwise*

5 beautiful large windows on the West wall. It makes finding places to hang/mount tools extremely difficult but I'll address that.
20191001_163622.jpg
20191001_163630.jpg
My niece had a YUGE commercial propane range in here. A 6 burner with a griddle :eek:. I had to remove the front door and the door jamb just to get it out of the space for her. Also, that is the ONE "kitchen" cabinet with the ONE "kitchen" drawer. Oh, and the miss-located "kitchen" sink. I plan to put the sink in this side of the HUMONGOUS island seen in the above picture. Looking out over the space and potentially out of those 5 beautiful 5 feet tall windows out into the prairie grasses beyond (kept trimmed when possible), instead of staring at a lath and stucco wall (actual stucco, the concrete type!). She had installed a commercial style exhaust hood on the Alamo wall. That stayed behind :tup:. It's a great hood BUT it's also a great collector of everything airborne! :frown: :laugh: I had offered for my use a commercial 4 burner range with a griddle. I had to remove the front door and the door jamb to get it in here. It was a mess. It was purchased used at an auction and had been stored out of doors for at least 3 years! :eek: That's in a coming post. It required a conversion and extensive rehab that took me SIX weeks:eek: My SIL was of great assist for the dirtiest of the tasks. :tup:
20191001_163637.jpg
20191001_163637.jpg (3.3 MiB) Viewed 3073 times
The bathroom (from the second pocket door and moving clockwise). And remember, I had not carried in anything but my own body weight at this point :grin:.
20191001_163725.jpg
Note here there is no shower curtain. There is no shower rod. They bathed. I shower :roflmao: Making a laminated and/or bent wood shower curtain rod is on the to-do list. I currently take what I call a crower (a crouching shower :roflmao: ) - no splashing above the rim - and my back hates me for it!
20191001_163733.jpg
And the royal throne! :roflmao: It actually tucked away nicely in a little alcove created by the chimney extending into the cloakroom. It's also a better view of the second set of original built-in 1924 shelving.
20191001_163740.jpg
Two shots of the Alamo wall, the chimney clean-out near the floor, and the exhaust hood.
20201129_225820.jpg
Wolf Range and Hood 0004 12132020.jpg
*man, I need a rapid-fire posting add-on! :roflmao:*
20191223_165506.jpg
Oh, how did that ^ ^ ^ get in here? :allhailme: :grin: :tup: :roflmao:

:volcano:

WHAB

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: world where everone gets
Has bestowed Karma : 1668 times
Received Karma : 1063 times

WHAB: Still Forming Woodworking Shop & Future Grow Resid

Post by rSin »

Thats a proud building! gooD luck avoiding the money pit...
the intolerance of the old order is emerging from the rosy mist in which it has hitherto been obscured.

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

WHAB: Still Forming Woodworking Shop & Future Grow Resid

rSin wrote:Thats a proud building! gooD luck avoiding the money pit...
Hey there rSin!

It is. It has withstood almost 100 years and under the worst conditions ie: lack of proper maintenance - any maintenance for a good portion of the last few decades. It could have all been saved intact. Damn shame!

My niece - I give her props! - did do her best to repurpose things that could be salvaged.

The tin on the knee-wall up on the loft. The tongue and groove flooring on the partition wall.

When I cut the handrail up on the loft to give the Modified Ship's Ladder a path to the loft I discovered the handrail all around the loft (well, two sides and part of the third) was made from one of the salvaged floor joists. I cut 2 foot out of it and that piece of 2x8 Oak has super tight grain and incredibly heavy for its size. I am repurposing that as a base for a new mailbox to mailbox post connection I have ready to put in the ground when it thaws in the Spring.
20210121_193034.jpg
20210121_193055.jpg
20210121_193440A.jpg
I cut that mailbox post by hand using an antique Stanley Mitre Box. The half-lap joint and the angled cuts. I didn't have any "tools" here at the time.

:rockon:!,
WHAB

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 1317 times
Received Karma : 921 times

Post by Butcher Bob »

WhiteHotAfterburner wrote:
1924 Schoolhouse 0017 01202021.jpg
The first set of shelves...
Those look exactly like the shelves on one side of my pantry...built aboot 1900, give or take 5 years. I've often wondered if some of the built-ins in my house are actually kits that could be purchased from places like Sears. Hell, they used to sell whole house kits....all the necessary pieces, you assemble.

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

WHAB: Still Forming Woodworking Shop & Future Grow Residence

Butcher Bob wrote:
WhiteHotAfterburner wrote:
The attachment 1924 Schoolhouse 0017 01202021.jpg is no longer available
The first set of shelves...
Those look exactly like the shelves on one side of my pantry...built aboot 1900, give or take 5 years. I've often wondered if some of the built-ins in my house are actually kits that could be purchased from places like Sears. Hell, they used to sell whole house kits....all the necessary pieces, you assemble.

I'd kill to have a Sears, Roebuck and Company "kit home"....in case you know anybody :winky: :laugh: They're beautiful structures! It would be alright with me if you wanted to post some of your Century+ home here, if you'd like to.

Yours may be a "kit" shelf. There is evidence this is not.

This shelf *trim I found under the loft living as a shelf of a different sort :grin: was specifically cut and sort of coped for this inside corner.
Bathroom Trim 0001 01212021.png
Bathroom Trim 0002 01212021.png
Don't mind the sloppy spray foam. It wasn't I :grin:. It will be addressed in the order of urgency :wink: It is the inside corner where that end of that piece terminated.
Bathroom Trim 0003 01212021.png
Bathroom Trim 0003 01212021.png (7.52 MiB) Viewed 3059 times
This is the opposite end of the area where that board used to live. What is important here is to the right of that conduit is the paint my niece laid down. The old original 1924 paint is on the left of that conduit, but stops where the lower shelf was boxed in covering that trim. If you look close you can see it. It's sort of a light tan/beige.
Bathroom Trim 0005 01212021.png
And then, this is the second shelf on the other wall showing that the bottom shelves were indeed boxed in.
Bathroom Trim 0004 01212021.png
Bathroom Trim 0004 01212021.png (6.91 MiB) Viewed 3059 times
Btw, the above assembly needs some work BUT coincidentally 'may' make a great stash spot. I could pull that face board out right now - It's loose and just sitting there, it also needs attention - but it's empty under that bottom shelf.

SHHHH!!! :laugh:

Time for a :volcano:. Join me friend! :wink:

Edit: trim for shelf

:beercheer:,
WHAV
Last edited by WhiteHotAfterburner on Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.