Oops....damn dams

After enjoying the fruits of your labors, we all need a place to chill. This is that place. Totally senseless irrelevant banter encouraged.
Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 1317 times
Received Karma : 921 times

Oops....damn dams

Post by Butcher Bob »

As it should be......considering all the napalm, agent orange, and paraquat that company made for Uncle Sam.

Saw the news reporting that everything at Dow was safe...no contamination of the waterways occurred.
But I also saw the overhead shots during the flooding. That plant area is huge. It is a city by itself...it has it's own zip code, security force, and fire department. Just the mere fact that most of that area was under water means contamination definitely occurred.

I grew up on the other side of town, up wind of the plant...still remember the 'chemical' smell the air had. Then came the clean air act, clean water bill, and the EPA under Nixon...and then the whole dioxin fiasco. Things changed...Dow started shutting down a lot of the production facilities there, and started adding more corporate offices. But they still make some nasty shit there.

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Has bestowed Karma : 1751 times
Received Karma : 1537 times

Oops....damn dams

Post by Intrinsic »

1590348569242.jpg

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God

Oops....damn dams

Post by Butcher Bob »

Umm, I'm pretty sure he already declared it a disaster area and authorized relief funds....because FEMA and the National Guard already have boots there.
And I saw he said the dams would be replaced....although I'm not sure how that would work, because these are state dams, not federal. So far the state has said they're not sure they want to fix them. They don't seem to be concerned aboot controlling flooding in the 3 cities down stream, devaluing thousands of properties, and destroying the tourism economy in the area, both of which fund these communities through taxes.

The funds they are pissing over, are covid funds.

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Has bestowed Karma : 1751 times
Received Karma : 1537 times

Oops....damn dams

Post by Intrinsic »

That's the humor, both are illegal, strong-arming, and failed.

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: world where everone gets
Has bestowed Karma : 1668 times
Received Karma : 1063 times

Oops....damn dams

Post by rSin »

Dow opperates a nuclear reactor at that facility?!?!
the intolerance of the old order is emerging from the rosy mist in which it has hitherto been obscured.

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God

Oops....damn dams

Post by Butcher Bob »

Ahh, you caught that too eh? That was the same thing that went through my head as well.

Back in the 70s they tried to turn us into another 3 Mile Isle. Both reactor towers had been built before the public was finally successful in getting the project shut down. One of my best friend's dad worked for Bechtel building it...oddly enough, that friend is one of the folks on Wixom lake whose house flooded. With the nuclear option off the table, they converted the facility to natural gas...Midland Cogeneration Venture. I have never heard anything aboot a nuclear facility since then...until now. The whole point in getting the original project shut down was a 'not in my back yard' thing.

:dunno:

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God

Oops....damn dams

Post by Butcher Bob »

You have got to be kidding me. :facepalm: ...

In 2018 Wixom lake's dam was cited for inadequate spillway size. Winter 2019 the lake was lowered for inspection. Spring 2019 Boyce Hydro, owners of the dam, wanted to leave lake levels low. So the communities formed a non-profit organization, Four Lakes Task Force, to force the owners to raise the lake level back to normal...they meet quarterly. The lake was returned to normal levels. The organization came to a tentative agreement to purchase the dams in 2022. The organization is now claiming ownership of the exposed lake beds, Wixom and Sanford, and telling the sheriffs to arrest any trespassers...

The bottom lands are owned by Four Lakes Task Force, but Stephenson said the task force has given the Sheriff’s Office the right to take enforcement action for the public’s safety. The Sheriff’s Office and local law enforcement will stop people from trespassing in the Sanford and Wixom Lakes bottom lands.

The bottoms lands are considered dangerous sections of the disaster recovery area, Stephenson said. Residents are not permitted to walk, ride recreational vehicles or perform other activities in the disaster recovery area.

Anyone who does not comply will be subject to arrest by the Midland County Sheriff’s Office and its law enforcement partners.

Umm, hello!?
The organization does not own any of that property.
A public waterway, drained or not, is still a public waterway.
A private organization has no authority to direct law enforcement to do anything.

But hey, if you just lost a bunch of your stuff due to the actions of this organization, fuk you :fubird: you can't go look for your stuff. :facepalm: Fukking fascist country we live in.

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: world where everone gets
Has bestowed Karma : 1668 times
Received Karma : 1063 times

Oops....damn dams

Post by rSin »

The dams were privately owned
And for more than 20 years
Had been refusing to bring them up to minium standards

Had a couple years ago
Negociated to sell them to a coalition
Of local counties

Christ bob
Cheering for private profitteering of squating
On public land?

Fuck you 'dont pay your own way' assholes...
the intolerance of the old order is emerging from the rosy mist in which it has hitherto been obscured.

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God

Oops....damn dams

Post by Butcher Bob »

The owner of Boyce is an asshole...no doubt aboot that...but I lay blame where blame is due. The state built, owned, and operated these dams...until they thought it was a good idea to privatize them. That's the state's fault. The communities spoke up at the time, saying it was a bad idea, fearing they would not be maintained properly. So now it's time for the state to take responsibility for their poor decision.

ben ttech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: godisnotwhite.com
Has bestowed Karma : 389 times
Received Karma : 240 times

Oops....damn dams

Post by ben ttech »

yes,
time to sieze boyce holdings and prosecuting them for subverting the state AS was how they got away with the theft of public commons

and we can cruxify all the state actors it bought off to make this so...
"disaster is the mother of necessity" rSin