I shouldn't even confess this.

Grow room design, HID, fluoro, reflectors, ventilation, ballasts and wiring.
Dick Fein
Karma Jackpot
Karma Jackpot
Custom Title: Wiki Freak

Post by Dick Fein »

For a few weeks now I have been smelling an electric smell in my grow room but I couldn't figure out where it was coming from.
Then 2 days ago I moved something and both lights went out but came back on almost immediately.
Then yesterday I saw this.
To top it off, I believed at the time I unplugged it that the circuit was off but it was still on, so today I celebrate still being alive.
Attachments
1 21 2019 009.JPG

bentech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: eye the witch Melancholy
Has bestowed Karma : 33 times
Received Karma : 28 times

Post by bentech »

your power distribution panel
does it use fuses or circuit breakers?

you said there was still power though it was off so im assuming each is switched there indicating breakers

looks like a baseboard heaters there on the rights so ya it wouldn't have been hard to overload that circuit plugging more into that outlet.
where does that second wire we see coming down from the outlet then straight at the camera, wheres that go???
"we must strive to become good ancestors" nader
https://www.myplanetganja.com/viewforum.php?f=48
FUCK jimmydorecomedy.com

Dick Fein
Karma Jackpot
Karma Jackpot

Post by Dick Fein »

It uses fuses and actually was probably off. It is an outlet beside a baseboard heater that use 2-30 amp fuses on 220 V, I pulled that fuse when I saw the plasma ball, but it also has a 15 amp fuse in the circuit to separate the lights from the heaters I guess. I had one plug feeding a box with a GFI plug and then 2 1000 watt ballasts running off it. I have since spread out the load.

bentech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Post by bentech »

yikes!

that's a lot of load for one outlet,
at least it would be here in the land of 120v

im not very up on understanding how 220 stacks up

glad your safe!
FUCK jimmydorecomedy.com

deran
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Custom Title: time bandit
Has bestowed Karma : 63 times
Received Karma : 107 times

Post by deran »

none the less, its a great reminder for everyone else

4X600 and thats like it for a 16A breaker (on paper tho) , as you never know what is inside the wall actually bc of the ppl living there prior and bc todays electricians get less money for more work

thx for this lively pic
awoken the right way

bentech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Post by bentech »

recall the example I ran into years ago?

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=7506" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FUCK jimmydorecomedy.com

Dick Fein
Karma Jackpot
Karma Jackpot

Post by Dick Fein »

I was working on a commercial drywall job and the electricians were a father and son team. The father told the son to drill a hole through the concrete wall and gave him the location and a 12 inch drill bit. The kid did what he was told but the location was off and he contacted the main supply for the entire mall. He died. The drill fused with his hand. The entire mall was closed for 3 days while they tried to remove the smell of burning flesh from the ventilation system and that father never forgave himself.

bentech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Post by bentech »

my first night working in the local ER as a student they brought in a 18 year old whod been electrocuted on a job site
my first real cpr but he had been dead for half an hour and this was just going through the motions
I learned later

he was leaning against a truck that had a boom which rotated into contact with some high voltage lines

I was their when his parents came in...
FUCK jimmydorecomedy.com

Oldjoints

Post by Oldjoints »

Looks like you had some arcing going on. 110V or 220V work exactly the same and this usually happens for several reasons. From what you have said I suspect is that you just have an old outlet where the contacts inside the outlet have worn from use. Or the wires that connect to the outlet could have loosened a little causing arcing. Dust buildup or corrosion can cause the same outcome. The only other common scenario is that you overloaded the circuit.
If you are handy changing the outlet should solve your problem. BUT DO NOT USE the outlet as it is now. And if you decide to change the outlet pull the fuse to that circuit before changing the outlet. And check the wiring itself for damage, if the wire itself shows insulation damage or overheating damage it’s time to have an electrician do the job as the whole leg of the wiring will have to be changed out.

Dick Fein
Karma Jackpot
Karma Jackpot

Post by Dick Fein »

Thanks OJ. I will put a new outlet in today. The landlord is an electrician but is in Florida so I must continue as is with the wiring, but I have taken one of the lights out that circuit so hopefully it is safe now.
The electrical smell has gone away and the new plug that I installed has not gotten warm at all.