And it begins

Grow room design, HID, fluoro, reflectors, ventilation, ballasts and wiring.
Oldjoints

And it begins

Post by Oldjoints »

I have been debating that with myself. On one hand I am good with soil and what I am presently using with some starts (see pic below). But I am growing tired of the problems of soil. I just got done fighting fungus gnats despite my efforts to sanitize the soil before planting. Keeping mothers in soil for an extended period is not an ideal situation either as eventually the soil will be devoid of the nutrients needed and always a risk of pests that invade soil. But I don’t have a lot of experience with coco and don’t want problems with this start-up grow.
Here is what I have at present:
Last edited by Oldjoints on Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 417 times
Received Karma : 511 times

And it begins

Post by Prawn Connery »

You'll have the same issues with fungus gnats in coco as in soil, unfortunately. Options to deal with them are anything from living with them, hanging fly paper, neem oil drenches to diatomaceous earth. The last option is most effective, as it porevents gnats laying eggs and any that do make it into the coco/soil never make it out again. I don't even bother much anymore, I just spray some pyrethrum around the bases of the plants every now and then when numbers get high during summer. Healthy plants can usually outgrow most pests. I try to keep things as organic as I can.
Licensed to Krill

Oldjoints

And it begins

Post by Oldjoints »

Yes I used diatamaceous soil as well, didn’t have neem so used hydrogen peroxide and then after drain taped the bottom holes up to block re-entry from adults. Haven’t seen any after 2 days but time will tell.....