A damsel in distress. Plural of Mongoose Update.

Rant and Rave about The Canna Trade.
bentech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: eye the witch Melancholy
Has bestowed Karma : 33 times
Received Karma : 28 times

Post by bentech »

from the above^^^

CLARK – who went by the online nicknames “Variety Jones,” “VJ,” “Cimon,” and “Plural of Mongoose” – was described by Ulbricht as a “real mentor” who advised Ulbricht about, among other things, security vulnerabilities in the Silk Road site, technical infrastructure, management of the Silk Road users, and operating in a manner to attempt to thwart law enforcement. CLARK provided advice to Ulbricht on developing a “cover story” to make it appear as though Ulbricht had sold Silk Road, and also assisted with hiring programmers to help improve the infrastructure of, and maintain, Silk Road. CLARK also communicated at length with Ulbricht regarding the rules that governed Silk Road vendors and users, and regarding the promotion of sales on Silk Road, including the sales of narcotics. CLARK also was responsible for gathering information on law enforcement’s efforts to investigate Silk Road.
CLARK was paid at least hundreds of thousands of dollars for his assistance in operating Silk Road.

CLARK, 56, a citizen of Canada, is charged with narcotics trafficking conspiracy; narcotics trafficking; distributing narcotics by means of the internet; conspiracy to commit, and aid and abet, a computer hacking conspiracy; conspiracy to traffic in fraudulent identification documents; and money laundering conspiracy. If convicted, he faces, among other penalties, a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years in prison and a maximum sentence of life in prison. The maximum potential sentences in this case are prescribed by Congress and are provided here for informational purposes only, as any sentencing of the defendant will be determined by the judge.
"we must strive to become good ancestors" nader
https://www.myplanetganja.com/viewforum.php?f=48
FUCK jimmydorecomedy.com

bentech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: eye the witch Melancholy
Has bestowed Karma : 33 times
Received Karma : 28 times

Post by bentech »

a good couple pages of this thread

Oct 07, 2015
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11022&start=345" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"we must strive to become good ancestors" nader
https://www.myplanetganja.com/viewforum.php?f=48
FUCK jimmydorecomedy.com

AGD
good karma
good karma
Custom Title: nOT-a-BoT
Has bestowed Karma : 1 time
Received Karma : 1 time

Post by AGD »

CLARK – who went by the online nicknames “Variety Jones,” “VJ,” “Cimon,” and “Plural of Mongoose” – was described by Ulbricht as a “real mentor” who advised Ulbricht about, among other things, security vulnerabilities in the Silk Road site
Do you guys really think that PoM is able to do this??? Not sure about the 'other things' , but PoM as an expert hacker? Nahhh ..

Edit: VJ closed a vulnerability in bitcoind, which was the entry point to DPR's trust.

This interview, which was supposed to be made with DPR, was definitely made with Variety Jones:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenb ... 040bc45732" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Can you tell me anything about the original creator of the Silk Road? How did you meet? And did you acquire the Silk Road from him in a financial deal of some kind, or simply take over the project?

He was well compensated and happy with our arrangement. It was his idea to pass the torch in fact. We met through the site. I had discovered a big vulnerability in the way he had configured the main Bitcoin wallet that was being used to process all of the deposits and withdrawals on the site. At first he ignored me, but I persisted and gained his trust by helping him secure the wallet. From there we became close friends working on Silk Road together.
From Ross Ulbrichts journal:
"Around this time, Variety Jones showed up. This was the biggest and strongest willed character I had met through the site thus far. He quickly proved to me that he had value by pointing out a major security hole in the site I was unaware of. It was an attack on bitcoind."
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic ... sg11154298" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic ... sg11154647" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OzFreelancer
some karma
some karma
Custom Title: my custom title
Received Karma : 2 times

Post by OzFreelancer »

DD Ramone wrote:
bentech wrote:any short path to putting money on his book where held?
Someone needs to go visit him and report back here about it to let us know that he's not managed to buy his way out of there.
I visited him 4 times. AMA :roll:

AGD
good karma
good karma

Post by AGD »

Possible, that PoM is out for a compensation for wrongful imprisonment? Like 'If they think VJ=Mongoose, then why not playing their game and let them pay for it?'

Edit: All his appearance here on MPG and his 'come and get me' emails make absolutely no sense if he really was VJ on Silk Road who faces life in prison. But it WOULD make sense if PoM was (more or less) innocent, attention seeking and looking for big money. In that case he might even know the real identity of Variety Jones. Maybe it is somebody who had access to his passport.
As I mentioned before: The real coder in the family was ~s~ and not PoM. ~s~ was the one who was able to find a vulnerability in bitcoind and not PoM. Coincidentally the nick 'shabang' and 'Variety Jones' has been registered at Silk Road within minutes. Remember the story PoM told about a meeting with VJ and ~s~? As far as I know he was the only one to meet both in person and to write about it in the internet. So he is either lying and the person behind all 3 nicks. In that case he could be the hacker/coder or his story about the meeting is true and he knows ~s~ and VJ.

Munchy
Board Administrator
Karma God
Karma God
Custom Title: Golden Member
Has bestowed Karma : 470 times
Received Karma : 957 times

Post by Munchy »

didn't we determine that the passport image had been previously posted on the forum by POM, so anyone could have had access to it?
Prohibition is Futile Image THC will be Assimilated
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ How To Pass Drug Tests ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. -Albert Einstein

AGD
good karma
good karma

Post by AGD »

Munchy wrote:didn't we determine that the passport image had been previously posted on the forum by POM, so anyone could have had access to it?
Not sure if it has been determined yet. I have heard the same about the passport, but somebody here said it never happened.

AGD
good karma
good karma

Post by AGD »

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... -silk-road" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Through an analysis of the blockchain, many of these payments were connected to an account at Mt. Gox, the failed Bitcoin exchange that was shut down in 2014. By referring to several leaked databases from Mt. Gox, it is possible to link specific deposits with individual users of the service.
[image]https://motherboard-images.vice.com/con ... resize=574:*[/image]
The first Mt. Gox dump, from March 2014, contained information on trades as far back as 2011. The second, released in February 2015, was a redacted version of the exchange's userbase. It included the names used by customers to sign up, as well as partial email addresses.

By cross-referencing transactions detailed in Variety Jones's Bitcoin wallet with these two leaks, it is revealed that a large number of payments made to "Chgr" and "smed" eventually arrive in a Mt. Gox account registered in the name "Mike Wattier." An email in the Variety Jones account is also forwarded to an address with the name "mwattier."

On multiple social media and freelance developer sites, a Mike Wattier connected to the same email address found in the Variety Jones account identifies himself as an American with 20 years of open source ecommerce experience who is adept with a wide variety of programming languages.

The same Wattier also appears to have a presence on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Github. Judging by his Facebook activity, he was in Pattaya, Thailand, as of March 2015. Some of his profiles list him as living on the Thai island of Koh Chang.

Otherwise known as Elephant Island, the remote Koh Chang is covered in jungles, boasts a lively party scene, and in recent years has seen a steady rise of foreign visitors and expats. Many places on the island turn their electricity off at night.

Interestingly, this is the same location that previous investigations have linked to the man believed to be Variety Jones.

According to online records found by La Moustache, the man suspected of being Variety Jones and an associate from a marijuana seed selling business travelled to the island in 2008. From here, the pair brought back a strain of seed only found on, and named after, Koh Chang, and it was advertised as a freebie by the seed selling business.

Later, in chat logs found on Ulbricht's computer, Variety Jones told DPR that "I love thailand for the weather, the people, and the weed ain't bad either."

AGD
good karma
good karma

Post by AGD »

Munchy wrote:didn't we determine that the passport image had been previously posted on the forum by POM, so anyone could have had access to it?
The passport scan is the only strong link Silk Road -> PoM. Another one is mentioned in the chat logs, where VJ points to the term 'Plural of Mongoose' in case Ross wants to know his background. If this is all they have against PoM, then they have practically nothing and a compensation could be worth the bet. In that case: Chapeau Mongoose!

Now if they can prove, that PoM was VJ on Silk Road and he really was the one who wanted Ross to order these hits, then he might even deserve a long sentence and I have to work on my people skills. :bonghitter:

smokebreaks
The Big Cheese
Karma God
Karma God
Custom Title: High Society Stoner
Has bestowed Karma : 184 times
Received Karma : 338 times

Post by smokebreaks »

Looks like a trip to SDNY is in order.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/press ... 1/download" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GOVERNMENT WARNING: Marijuana use can cause complex thoughts leading to better ideas of how to live your life. Caution, free thinking has been routinely reported with continued use.