good karma
good karma
Custom Title: Stoned Cold Bulldog
Has bestowed Karma : 12 times
Received Karma : 174 times

Yet Another Heirloom Grow

Post by Hopefull Stoner »

Intrinsic wrote:
But they way I see it is every thing down there is energy and resource reserves the plant can and will use in late flowering. Those reserves are a magnitude better for the plant then any later feeding regiment. Reusing resources is intrinsic to how plants work.
Not quite intrinsic,
every branch that is healthy is not an energy reserve, it is part of the whole that the plant has to feed/maintain as is the norm. as such it is more efficient to trim lower buds and stems on most strains so that the energy of the plant is maximised toward a better/quality yield.

popcorn on or off is only a matter of do u want more or less hassle/bigger or smaller buds imho, and yes it can be strain dependant. pole type strains u simply let be down below, while maybe even top/fim them above.

do ur own side by side and see which strains do well or not based on all other things being = . take care dude
good to see ur still around. peace power, and luv. SCB
Stoned Cold Bulldog in the flesh. peace power and luv to all comrades and old friends. :gadday: :toker1: :tokie:

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Has bestowed Karma : 1751 times
Received Karma : 1535 times

Post by Intrinsic »

Hopefull Stoner wrote:
Intrinsic wrote:
But they way I see it is every thing down there is energy and resource reserves the plant can and will use in late flowering. Those reserves are a magnitude better for the plant then any later feeding regiment. Reusing resources is intrinsic to how plants work.
Not quite intrinsic,
every branch that is healthy is not an energy reserve, it is part of the whole that the plant has to feed/maintain as is the norm. as such it is more efficient to trim lower buds and stems on most strains so that the energy of the plant is maximised toward a better/quality yield.

popcorn on or off is only a matter of do u want more or less hassle/bigger or smaller buds imho, and yes it can be strain dependant. pole type strains u simply let be down below, while maybe even top/fim them above.

do ur own side by side and see which strains do well or not based on all other things being = . take care dude
good to see ur still around. peace power, and luv. SCB
Thanks for stopping by Hopeful Stoner! Cooool!

every branch that is healthy is not an energy reserve,
BUT every branch is an energy reserve, what do you think plants just throws away the ATP and nutrients in the leafs and stems??? Where do you suppose that stuff goes? It is not shitted out the back. The leaves are clearing shrinking and losing color (nutrients) as resources are redistributed. All vascular plants I know of behave this way.

it is part of the whole that the plant has to feed/maintain as is the norm. as such it is more efficient to trim lower buds and stems on most strains so that the energy of the plant is maximised toward a better/quality yield.
Yes the plant needs to use incoming resources, mostly water, to maintain normally.
But later on nearing the end of the plants life cycle, it draws resources from them for the final push into the flowers for successful propagation. When that happens those lower leafs and stems DO supply nutrients/resources better then anything else, even direct sunlight.

I can see if that you thought the building or maintaining the lower part was robbing flower production in the top flowers. But I never seen any evidence of that, if the parts are green it is adding to the whole not taking away. IF it weren't either from too little light or too little nitrogen, water or whatever, THEN one would see the parts die back and be reused. If not then it is adding.

Perhaps it is personal preference, I like the whatever little buds on the bottom., it what I sample from while waiting for the colas to finish drying. Worth the xtra hassle, after all only one harvest a year for me.

Since I don’t go in for growing a lot of different strains, I’ll concede to yer expertise on variety. Also growing with less intensity light as flouros and LEDs, lower production Shirley must behave different then deep penetration HIDs. Altho I cant see how that would rob the top colas, only add more ATP?

do ur own side by side and see which strains do well or not based on all other things being =
Well i have, trimming and not. That is what leads me to my present conclusions, and finally believing what the old botany books was trying to tell me, but yanno me, question everything, had to see for myself.
My total TOP cola weight never goes down from not trimming. jes haven’t seen it,
I don’t add the lower trim into total yield weight, fwiw.

~Peace out

country boy

Post by country boy »

Intrinsic wrote::toker1:
Stash
Stash01.JPG
Each jar has 15 grams with the top tier of litter jars of about ¼ oz a jar.
A total of about 11 ounces. One ounce is from the outside girl.
Good for me, so the yield did not suffer per se form the old lamps, but just took longer to get there.

Even tho I didn’t use the full 448W the whole grow, the gram per watt is:
283g/448W = .6 g/w Not great but ok for fluoro.
Excellent pull, Intrinsic! :smokeweed:

rSin
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: world where everone gets
Has bestowed Karma : 1668 times
Received Karma : 1063 times

Post by rSin »

good thread!
the intolerance of the old order is emerging from the rosy mist in which it has hitherto been obscured.