Awesome!

twilson
Karma God
Karma God
Custom Title: nOT-a-Bob
Received Karma : 1 time

Pictures of my grow cabinet

Post by twilson »

bentech wrote:id always heard that the fiberglass made a big different holdig it up as it got really hot giving you the much longer burn throught rating

its required by code between garage and home here in california, from foundation to the roof sheathing.
Oh there is no doubt the 5/8 has a better fire rating. Matter of fact in NYC all buildings must be rocked using 5/8. Anything thinner is illegal. I once had to help an asshole unload 1/2 inch from a building he had stocked with 1/2 inch inside the city limits. The dumb ass drywall supply house should have warned him since they delivered it.

We have 1" sheet rock that is used as a fire wall between attached units. Its very weird stuff. The boards are 2 foot by 4 foot. A metal channel is put up and they are slid into place. No taping at all. Its doubled up so that you end up with a 3 inch layer of sheetrock between living spaces if you include the 1/2 inch used for the 2 walls.
If Muley can scruff along i can too.

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Has bestowed Karma : 1751 times
Received Karma : 1535 times

Post by Intrinsic »

Very cool, looks like fun. When are ya firing it up?

twilson
Karma God
Karma God

Post by twilson »

Intrinsic wrote:Very cool, looks like fun. When are ya firing it up?
It is fired up and has been for the last 9 years. Trouble is the peat based soiless medium I have been using is so worthless. It's very unpredictable and this time the results are very disappointing. The plants began to have serious yellowing about 2 weeks after germ.

I'll be moving back to my sand and vermiculite grow medium in about a month ( fertilized by fish emulsion only ). Never had any yellowing problem using that method.

It's kind of amazing the way the risk with peat mediums is hardly ever mentioned on most grow sites. People are being seriously misinformed about some very basic grow knowledge.. It doesn't speak highly of the ability of the internet grow community to convey basic info.
Last edited by twilson on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Has bestowed Karma : 1751 times
Received Karma : 1535 times

Post by Intrinsic »

Yeah, I meant right now tho… were those old pics too? i thought you just getting ready for a run.
yeah I found a simple cheap potting soil is best, If organic it’s very self regulating, pH not a worry, and fish fertz fertz, yay!<thumbs up>
I just about give up on vermiculite except in the germinating stage ‘specially with veggie seedlings. If sand and vermiculite works good for, that’s purity cool. I guess there is still good drainage from with the sand.

twilson
Karma God
Karma God

Post by twilson »

Intrinsic wrote:Yeah, I meant right now tho… were those old pics too? i thought you just getting ready for a run.
yeah I found a simple cheap potting soil is best, If organic it’s very self regulating, pH not a worry, and fish fertz fertz, yay!<thumbs up>
I just about give up on vermiculite except in the germinating stage ‘specially with veggie seedlings. If sand and vermiculite works good for, that’s purity cool. I guess there is still good drainage from with the sand.
Like I said I have plants growing right now but because of the severe yellowing I'm almost embarrassed to show them . They are really pathetic. These pics of my cabinet were taken just a few days ago.

What problem did you have with vermiculite?

The ones I grew in a 50 / 50 mixture of sand and vermiculite were some of the best plants I ever grew. They grew fast and healthy and did not have one bit of yellowing on any of the leaves. I never fussed with them either. No pH testing or adjusting. Just water and fertilize them once every 3 weeks according to the directions on the bottle.

twilson
Karma God
Karma God

Post by twilson »

grow blog 004.jpg
This is my utility cabinet that sits on top of the grow cabinet. It containes the Active Air 180 CFM blower suspended from bungee cords and ballast from the 150 watt hps e-connolight. Its made out of plywood and lined with sheetrock.

The outlet from the air cooled hood is behind the transformer and the outlet from the grow cabinet ceiling is where the wires are routed.

twilson
Karma God
Karma God

Post by twilson »

grow blog 005.jpg
This is a shot of the air cooled hood from underneath while its in place inside the cabinet.

You can see the air exhaust outlet behind the lamp socket. Its four triangular pieces of aluminum flashing that i cut with tin snips and screwed to the pyramid shaped wood frame. The edges of each triangular piece are taped on the outside of the hood with metal tape that is used in the HVAC industry. It keeps the seams air tight

The inside was painted flat white with automotive engine paint which was used for heat resistance. The paint has held up perfectly. It has not changed color or chipped or pealed in 9 years. You can see the edge of the glass that covers the hood at the top of the picture. Its set back a half inch to allow the air to flow into the hood.
Last edited by twilson on Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

bentech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: eye the witch Melancholy
Has bestowed Karma : 33 times
Received Karma : 28 times

Post by bentech »

is that bent over finish nail glued in???

reminds me of that gary bennett controverse
"we must strive to become good ancestors" nader
https://www.myplanetganja.com/viewforum.php?f=48
FUCK jimmydorecomedy.com

twilson
Karma God
Karma God

Post by twilson »

bentech wrote:is that bent over finish nail glued in???

reminds me of that gary bennett controverse
No its just nailed in but its held up the blower for 9 years and never loosened. Its going through a furring strip and half inch of plywood so its a full inch of wood its driven into.