Start To Finish = Seeds To Smoke

Growing in electric sunshine
Sir Forgot-A-Lot
some karma
some karma
Custom Title: UCP>ActStgs>EdtProf

Post by Sir Forgot-A-Lot »

Here is the water color. The water is just 1/2 inch deep and the white paper shows you:

white
white thru just the pyrex
and then white thru the water.
Attachments
4 water color.JPG

Sir Forgot-A-Lot
some karma
some karma

I put a white background behind the plants. You can see the two plants in the middle each has one leaf that has something wrong with it. A bit of yellow. A bit of curl. A bit of dying brown...

I'm not sure what the cause is.

I do remember this: it's generally better to have too few nutes and slow growth than too many nutes and the problems that brings...

Any advice would be appreciated.
Attachments
6 two bad leaves.JPG

Sir Forgot-A-Lot
some karma
some karma

In the middle of this picture, you can see the plant that has 1 cotyledon leaf that is yellow.

What's up with that?

None of the other cotyledon leaves look like that. All of them are still healthy and thriving.
Attachments
7 1 bad cot leaf.JPG

Sir Forgot-A-Lot
some karma
some karma

So, I went ahead and rinsed all of the rockwool. It was probably overkill. I dipped each cube into clean water and squeezed out the excess. I did this three times for each.

Why? Partly because I felt bad for not rinsing the rockwool originally, but mostly because I wanted the nutrients that were in there to be rinsed out. I am going to keep the rockwool dry from now on.

At least on 16 of them. 4 of them don't have roots that are long enough to dangle out of the rockwool and into the water. I will have to keep watering them.

At the moment, they are all in just water. I added a touch of hydrogen peroxide and that was it. I didn't want to add any nutes until I got some advice from on here about what to do about the discolored leaves and stems.

I seem to remember adding normal table salt to cure the purple stem, but I am not nearly 100% sure about that.

Forgetfully,

S.F.

Sir Forgot-A-Lot
some karma
some karma

I did run each image through that "stripper" program that I downloaded and put onto my desktop. The program didn't say anything like "complete!". For those of us that are fairly computer illiterate, I'm curious to know if I did the right thing?

Is there meta data that shouldn't be there? Or a file location of where it was uploaded from?

I'd hate to give Leo a leg up on my location.

Muchos gracias to any computer savvy person who can put my mind at ease (or tell me I need to delete this thread and start over!),

S.F.

Munchy
Board Administrator
Karma Monster
Karma Monster
Custom Title: UnhingedMotherfucker
Has bestowed Karma : 499 times
Received Karma : 983 times

Post by Munchy »

Jeffrey's Exif Viewer says you're all good bud. :greenthumb:
Prohibition is Futile Image THC will be Assimilated
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ How To Pass Drug Tests ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. -Albert Einstein

deran
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Custom Title: time bandit
Has bestowed Karma : 63 times
Received Karma : 107 times

Post by deran »

Half of the plants have roots that are longer than the plants at this point. I think I might be able to go straight from just the rockwool to the 6" pot with Hydroton, which would be a nice, labor saving step.
do it
In the middle of this picture, you can see the plant that has 1 cotyledon leaf that is yellow.
let me guess, its one of the seedlings thats root is already out of the rockwool ... time to transplant
I am going to keep the rockwool dry from now on.
bad idea .. rockwool when completly saturated keeps 40 % of air in it, no need for squeezing excess water out, just let the water drip off and thats it
table salt to cure the purple stem
thats new to me, purple stems have 3 different reasons:

1 - strain dependant , just coloring - not the case with norther lights
2 - not enough phosphorus
3 - too much phosphorus

my best guess is reason 2, as small seedlings are developing faster downwards (roots) than upwards, they like and need phosphor to establish a healthy root structure, tho imho its a bit too early for nute defizits, as the leafs indicate a healthy color

a root stimulator would be just the ideal for this stage, nutes a week later

about the "stripper" , true its doesnt indicate complete, but you can check it by the size of your pics (i.e. you drag 4 pics into the window and see the kB size , lets say 400 kB , when you remove the metadata, the size gets smaller, and gets to 398 kB)
awoken the right way

Sir Forgot-A-Lot
some karma
some karma

Last night I checked on the plants 2 hours later, and what a difference. The yellow in the leaves had become a greenish yellow. Two hours after that, and all 3 leaves looked much, much better. Yay!

I have a root stimulator. There is now 1.3 liters in the tray, so I will do the math to add a light dose.

I may be forgetful. I may confuse "phosphorus" with "sodium chloride". I may have to reread the advice I get here a few times for me to get it. But I do have one thing going for me:

I have a green thumb.

When I saw the yellow in those leaves, especially the cotyledon, I knew that something was off. That cotyledon wasn't dying a natural deal. So my instincts were to change the water and give them just water for a day and see what happened. I feel good that this was right.

I also have an instinct that not watering the rockwool is the "right" thing to do for the 16 plants who have roots long enough to reach down into the water. However, Deran has given me advice that keeping the rockwool wet is a good thing too.

While I am happy that my instincts were right (about the color), I try to not be so arrogant as to think that my instincts couldn't be wrong in another situation (rockwool).

I am keeping the rockwool wet for the 4 plants who don't have long roots yet.

That was smart to look at the change in file size to see if it worked. Thanks.

S.F.

Sir Forgot-A-Lot
some karma
some karma

A special "thank you" to Munchy! I know you computer gurus are out there! Thanks so much for looking out for me. It's people like you why I try to put all the details in here that I do.

Peace,

S.F.

country boy

Post by country boy »

Last edited by country boy on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.