Growing in electric sunshine
Sir Forgot-A-Lot
some karma
some karma
Custom Title: UCP>ActStgs>EdtProf

Start To Finish = Seeds To Smoke

Post by Sir Forgot-A-Lot »

Hi,

So 3 days ago I planted 20 seeds. Feminized, Northern Lights from Nirvana. Expensive, but worth it.

I put them under a pair of standard day light fluoros. They are inside an aquarium with a 60W incandescent bulb in there over a bowl of water for heat and humidity. I throw a towel over it, but leave the ends open about 23% for air flow. Too much restriction and the temp gets over 100'F easy (I practiced a few days before putting the seeds in to get a feel for it).

I had a special someone drop the 20 seeds into 20 cubes of rockwool, a little more than an inch square. I forgot to rinse/wash/condition the rockwool.

Oops.

But here it is 3 days later, and things are fine. Conditions to report:

17 seeds have clearly grown into a stalk of some sort, some taller than others.
7 of them have cleared the top of the rock wool. The tallest and most mature one has 4 cotelydon leaves clearly showing (did I spell cotyledon right?) (second time). That one also has a root tip just coming out of the bottom of the rockwool.

THis is at 3 days in, 72 hours on the nose.

Oh, and the seeds sat in their packaging for 3 months. The room bounced between 58 degrees and 69 degrees. Apparently, no harm done. I shoulda been quicker, but you know how that goes...

Other things to note:

Interior temps of the cubes stayed right around 77'F.
Cubes were soaked and then shaken/squeezed before seeds planted in.
Every 12 hours they got about 15cc of water dumped on the top surface (but not directly over the seed hole, along a side) of the rockwool cube. I wanted to keep them on the wet side of moist, but by no means drowning.
I also kept the glass that the cubes sat on splattered with water. it increased humidity in their immediate microclimate.

The last time I did this, I put plastic over the top of the container. This did great for the humidity, but the light didn't get through good, and all the seedlings were stretched looking for better light.

So, I am thinking it will take about 3 to 4 weeks to get them big enough so that I can get 150 clones off of these 20 (or so) parent plants. I hope to have a harvest done by August 1st.

If it doesn't break any rules of this forum, I'm going to just post all my data in here.

Sincerely,

Sir Forgot-A-Lot
signing off, and flying high.

Sir Forgot-A-Lot
some karma
some karma

I'm not sure what to do about nutrients in the water for the root.

I will keep the root fully submerged just as soon as I think he is ready for it. That's question number 1.
Number 2 would be : how many nutes do we put in the water? What kinds, what levels?

Once the root is in water, the cotyledons have fallen away and normal leaves are coming up, then I hope to double the number of flouro lights in the area.

I have a 400W and 600W daylight bulb I'd even consider putting them under, if I think they can handle it. My past experience (not all was forgotten) tells me that I should be a little more forward in bringing out the bright SUN lights, especially sooner rather than later.

I'm just so happy. I looked in again and saw another root for the 1st time. We're at 18 now. And the two I can't see do seem to have SOMETHING going on down there...

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Has bestowed Karma : 1751 times
Received Karma : 1537 times

Post by Intrinsic »

Howdy Sir, sounds cool. Would like too see if ya can post pics.
And maybe have this move to the grow forum, but anywhere is fine.
About the nutrient questions, sorry rockwool – hyrdro - all greek to me. Simple dirt farmer.

150 clones, uh just how big of an operation are you thinking about … perhaps pics not a good idea after all. :mrgreen:

FAGjack
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Custom Title: ~Marijuanero~
Has bestowed Karma : 1 time
Received Karma : 1 time

Post by FAGjack »

:nanahump: :greenthumb:

country boy

Post by country boy »

Last edited by country boy on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bentech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: eye the witch Melancholy
Has bestowed Karma : 33 times
Received Karma : 28 times

Post by bentech »

get your floro lights down within three inches of those seedlings until further notice
"we must strive to become good ancestors" nader
https://www.myplanetganja.com/viewforum.php?f=48
FUCK jimmydorecomedy.com

Earl
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Custom Title: 3/5th Old White Man
Received Karma : 2 times

Post by Earl »

Sir Forgot-A-Lot wrote:I'm not sure what to do about nutrients in the water for the root.

I will keep the root fully submerged just as soon as I think he is ready for it. That's question number 1.
Number 2 would be : how many nutes do we put in the water? What kinds, what levels?

Once the root is in water, the cotyledons have fallen away and normal leaves are coming up, then I hope to double the number of flouro lights in the area.

I have a 400W and 600W daylight bulb I'd even consider putting them under, if I think they can handle it. My past experience (not all was forgotten) tells me that I should be a little more forward in bringing out the bright SUN lights, especially sooner rather than later.

I'm just so happy. I looked in again and saw another root for the 1st time. We're at 18 now. And the two I can't see do seem to have SOMETHING going on down there...
OK. You are gonna try to run 150 plants under a 400 & a 600 light? You are not sure when to flood or what nutes you need?

You can get all this done--I'm not saying you can't--but you need to do some reading fast. Growing in dirt runs slower and you can take some time to research if you run into problems--hydro runs fast (grows fast--or dies faster) so you need to be proactive with it. look over the OG FAQ at the following link. It is a little dated but a great starting point for great info! Be thinking several steps ahead as your plants grow...

http://www.greenpassion.org/OG-FAQ/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck! :fubird:

My name is Earl.

Hey, Crabman!

deran
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Custom Title: time bandit
Has bestowed Karma : 63 times
Received Karma : 107 times

Post by deran »

ph meter - a must
ec meter - a must

when growing hydroponically

as i wrote u in the other thread, ph of 5,5 and an ec of 0.3 - 0.5 in the beginning

150 clones for 1000W (600+400) is a high density sog, a very good decision, for best yields and fast runs

calculation as follows : 600W for the space of 1 m² (which is 100 X 100 cms) use 10cm pots -> makes 100 pots for this space (10pots X 10 pots) ;
for the 400W take the rest -> 50 pots ( 7 pots X 7 pots ) of the size of 10 cms; which would be the space of 0,49m²
of course you can overlap those both spaces gaining more from both bulbs

with a strain like NL id veg the rooted clones in their 10cm pots for 5 to 10 days before flipping to 12/12

introducing hid lights, start with a distance of 1 meter (while they are small and fragnant) ; when they get used to it lower distance; tho you still have at least 2 weeks for the flouros or any other light source; remember those little plants cant use all of the hid lights while they are that small.

it will take more time for your 150 clones from 20 plants than just 4 weeks, that would be 7 - 8 clones from each plant, and NL beeing a slow plant (100 % indica) , that jsut takes time; also those plants where you got the clones from will not be very well suited for a hd-sog style as you dont want any side branching patterns, just main colas
awoken the right way

BAMF
Kosmic Karma
Kosmic Karma
Received Karma : 1 time

Post by BAMF »

Hi therte sir, nice to meat you. I read your posts and I already know you have NOT asked any questions,,, My original post was to request what you were looking for (if anything) here at the planet :smile:

I think you are well on your way to growing and I saw that EVERYONE here wanted to offer advice,,, and I was just wondering is there was any thing I could help you with,,, questions answered? advice given?

anyway,,, glad to see you sir and good luck with your endevor,,, I would ask for U to show your grow, but you may not want to and may take offence by a stranger asking to see :smooch:

~pulls up a chair, and HOPEFULLY can enjoy the sho~

that is dependent upon weather or not admin feels I am being nice enough :winky:

have a beautiful day sir

Sir Forgot-A-Lot
some karma
some karma

Hi,

I guess I didn't give enough info. I have a set up that I used continuously for a couple years, but it's been collecting dust for the last 5 years or so. I'm just getting back into it. My main hydro room has 5 lights, 1000W each. Fully automated on timers. With duct work connecting them all so that outside air is pumped through the hoods to keep everything cool. The outside air then vents back outside in a nicely clever way so that even a thermographic camera would not see anything unusual.

The 5,000W shine down on a 5 x 18 grid of pots, with 1 foot between each of the pots. Its a solid wood cover with 6" holes drilled in it to handle the 6" pots that I put each plant in. I fill the pot with the Hydroton red spherical clay rocks. The roots then fall down through the rocks, out of the pot and go into a pond that is about 6" deep. It has multiple pumps to keep the water continuously recirculating. I have it set up so that to change all the water, all I have to do is open a couple valves. The water also has a chiller recirculating water to keep the water temp at 66'F, plus or minus one degree. The room has heaters for winter and a big window AC unit to keep it cool (which occasionally even runs in the winter with all 5,000W of lights going). The AC unit exhausts into the air stream of the air that goes through the hoods, so that is nicely concealed as well.

Everything is painted white with anti-fungus added in to the paint, so that even though it's sat unused for years, all thats in there is cobwebs and dust. No mold anywhere.

The seedlings are being grown in another room. I just have the one fluoro in there plus the 60W to keep the glass box they are in a nice and toasty 90'F and about 55% humidity.

I know things are going to happen fast. I actually want that!

I do have a spare 400W and 600W bulbs hanging around from way back in the day. I was thinking I'd put one or two of them over the seedlings whenever they can handle it. Right now the fluoro is about 1" away from the leaves. It's been that way since day 1. The fluoros put out no heat, so things are fine.

I would post pictures except I don't know how to erase the meta data from the pictures. I was thinking that I could take the picture, then do a screen shot capture and post that, but then I wonder if my computer would put meta data into the screen shot? As I don't know about these things, I'm not posting pics, but if someone can send me to a place to learn how to strip meta data off of pictures, I'd be happy to post whatever anyone wants to see (other than my smiling face, of course!).

The store that I use to go to for supplies closed down. :( There are other stores I can go to, but I haven't been yet so I am not sure which lines of products they carry. The option of ordering online and having it delivered to a friends house is always available, but I think I'll just go for a drive this weekend and visit some of the other stores and see what I can see. If the purple stems get worse, I can scrounge up some salts and nutes left over from back in the day, just enough to tinge the water a little so they get a little of what they want.

If anyone has any questions, I'm happy to answer.

S.F.