Canadian Border Security and where a big hole is

After enjoying the fruits of your labors, we all need a place to chill. This is that place. Totally senseless irrelevant banter encouraged.
Antique Hippie
Stackin' Karma Yo
Stackin' Karma Yo

Post by Antique Hippie »

:roflmao: Whose keeping the gun wielding yankee immigrants out? :roflmao:

Akwesasne chief pushes for Mohawk sovereignty
Last Updated: Saturday, July 18, 2009 | 2:10 PM ET Comments210Recommend81
CBC News

Mohawks on the Akwesasne reserve plan to follow up their apparent victory in a dispute over the arming of border guards by pushing for sovereignty on Cornwall Island, according to Grand Chief Mike Mitchell.

The international boundary line cutting through the reserve — straddling Ontario, Quebec and New York State — should also be moved, Mitchell told CBC News on Friday.

He said "pulling back" the Canada-U.S. border would bring "the community back as one," but he didn't say where the line should be drawn.

The Mohawk Council of Akwesasne has said the federal, Quebec and Ontario governments see Akwesasne as a "jurisdictional nightmare."

Canada's public safety minister, Peter Van Loan, pulled a Canada Customs post off the reserve last Monday and set up a temporary post in the city of Cornwall, Ont.

The move followed a six-week standoff around the existing post on Cornwall Island, within Mohawk territory. Mitchell was elected grand chief on the Canadian side on June 27, several weeks into the protest.

The Canadian Border Service Agency said it was forced to remove the guards on May 31 because of intimidation tactics by Mohawks and their supporters.

Mohawk leaders had argued that giving guns to CBSA customs agents on the island reserve — a plan set to be implemented June 1 — raised the risk of violent confrontation.

The makeshift border post means people crossing on to the reserve from the U.S. are now supposed to drive into Cornwall and voluntarily report themselves.

The CBSA has said border guards are slated to return to their post on Mohawk land on Cornwall Island in four months.

However, Ron Moran, head of the guards' union, has indicated his members are reluctant to return because of long-standing tensions between the CBSA and Mohawk community.

BudBuddha
good karma
good karma
Custom Title: nOT-a-BoT

Post by BudBuddha »

This is somewhat reminiscent of the Canadian governments decision to build that new highway right through the middle of a Mohawk tribal cemetery a few years back. As I recall, the govt was surprised to find that the Mohawk had armed themselves nicely and were prepared to defend their land against invasion.

The wife and I were stopped at the border back then. They put us through the shredder because the guards figured us for Mohawk and they were on the alert for trouble from First Nations folks. I am part Cherokee though, not Mohawk. I can sympathize for sure. The First Nations have really been dueced over for the last couple hundred years and seem to be getting fed up with that now. About time too.

The Seneca Nation has big billboards up on Rte 90 in NY that say "The wind still blows, the grass still grows, HONOR YOUR TREATIES"

To my recollection, the only First Nation that has actually gotten its land back (and a little more) are the Navaho. Others do grow great reefer though, in the 'Nations, out West in OK.
Fart Proudly

Maribou Stork
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Custom Title: Nightmares
Has bestowed Karma : 21 times
Received Karma : 34 times

Post by Maribou Stork »

If you are thinking of the Oka standoff, it was a "members only" golf course that the mayor wanted expanded and luxury condos built in a stand of pines where the burial grounds were located. Both the Quebec Liberal government and the Federal Conservative government of Brian Mulroney (that fucker again) mishandled the situation, and I expect the current government to screw up this one too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oka_Crisis
Maribou Stork

twilson
Karma God
Karma God
Custom Title: nOT-a-Bob
Received Karma : 1 time

Post by twilson »

Marabou Stork wrote:If you are thinking of the Oka standoff, it was a "members only" golf course that the mayor wanted expanded and luxury condos built in a stand of pines where the burial grounds were located. Both the Quebec Liberal government and the Federal Conservative government of Brian Mulroney (that fucker again) mishandled the situation, and I expect the current government to screw up this one too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oka_Crisis
Is there anybetter proof of the white mans sheer stupidity than wanting to put ticky tacky cracker box condos on sacred ground.

Why don't they turn redwoods into Bounty paper towels while they are at it.
If Muley can scruff along i can too.

BudBuddha
good karma
good karma
Custom Title: nOT-a-BoT

Post by BudBuddha »

Why don't they turn redwoods into Bounty paper towels while they are at it.
Uh...I've got some bad news for you Sunshine...they already are. :sad: Then they pour the used bleach into the river.....
Fart Proudly