I remember when......

After enjoying the fruits of your labors, we all need a place to chill. This is that place. Totally senseless irrelevant banter encouraged.
zoltron
some karma
some karma
Custom Title: King Zobbo

I remember when......

Post by zoltron »

CK. wrote:Shit i remember when Rap was jes spoken word... and all the bitches werent worried bout being on camera, they were just happy to be a part of it

Even better than that, i remember when Punk was cool
Yeah, 'rap' was when you were talking with 1 another -- "Yeah man, me & Jimmy were rappin' when this chick came along &...." THAT's what the word "rap" meant.
I used to love Punk music. Iggy Pop & The Stooges were very cool. Excellent music. Same with The Ramones, who have been dropping like flys recently. I know Joey & 1 other [name escapes me right now...been into the C-99 :winky:] have died. Maybe even 3 of them.

If anyone would've told me 40 yrs ago that we'd be paying a monthly bill to watch TV, I would've thought they had done way too much microdot.
I also remember when none of us were interested in material possessions. We kept life simple. My 3 years doing the cross-country hitch-hiking [& 3 weeks in Mexico] with just our dufflebags & bedrolls, was an adventure that I feel technology has ruined for the younger generation. Nobody wants to just 'hit-the-road' anymore. If it's not on TV or the Internet, they aren't interested in pursuing what's down-the-road. Of course, it's an entirely different atmosphere on the highways nowadays. It'd probably be rough for getting rides as well. :crazy:
ImageImage

benjammin
Karma Jackpot
Karma Jackpot

I remember when......

Post by benjammin »

I also remember when none of us were interested in material possessions. We kept life simple. My 3 years doing the cross-country hitch-hiking [& 3 weeks in Mexico] with just our dufflebags & bedrolls, was an adventure that I feel technology has ruined for the younger generation. Nobody wants to just 'hit-the-road' anymore. If it's not on TV or the Internet, they aren't interested in pursuing what's down-the-road.
i beg to differ. bigtime.

the majority of people i know my age are just DYING to see the world. you know what the big difference is these days? cost.

when she was my age my mother went to europe and north africa for several months, it cost her about $600. i spent a single month in many of hte same places and it cost me over $3000. even adjusted for inflation thats significantly more.

when you were young, im sure there were just as many people as there are today who dont really have that curiosity and drive to see new places.

Maribou Stork
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Custom Title: Nightmares
Has bestowed Karma : 21 times
Received Karma : 34 times

I remember when......

Post by Maribou Stork »

benjammin wrote:...
the majority of people i know my age are just DYING to see the world. you know what the big difference is these days? cost.

when she was my age my mother went to europe and north africa for several months, it cost her about $600. i spent a single month in many of hte same places and it cost me over $3000. even adjusted for inflation thats significantly more.

Hard to compare costs just looking at inflation. When your mom was young the pay was a lot lower. In the mid 70's it probably took her 200 hours to earn $600, but at todays rates it only would take you 150 hours to earn $3000. Numbers are for illustration only as you might earn more or less than my example.

Was your mom hot? Chicks always had an easier time getting free rides and places to crash. :tup:
Maribou Stork

benjammin
Karma Jackpot
Karma Jackpot

I remember when......

Post by benjammin »

Marabou Stork wrote:
benjammin wrote:...

Hard to compare costs just looking at inflation. When your mom was young the pay was a lot lower. In the mid 70's it probably took her 200 hours to earn $600, but at todays rates it only would take you 150 hours to earn $3000. Numbers are for illustration only as you might earn more or less than my example.

Was your mom hot? Chicks always had an easier time getting free rides and places to crash. :tup:
wages tend to increase at a similar rate as inflation, so i dont really know what you're talking about. but lets say you're right, consider that she traveled for months, where i traveled for A month. she covered multiple times the distance i did, spent multiple times the amount of time as i did, and did it all for an amount that's roughly 20% less than what i spent adjusted for inflation.

nobodyknew
Karma Jackpot
Karma Jackpot
Custom Title: Intangibles Inc.
Has bestowed Karma : 8 times
Received Karma : 6 times

I remember when......

Post by nobodyknew »

Maybe she was just a better shopper............? :)
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime,somewhere someone said to themselves
"You know - I really want to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." George Carlin R.I.P

benjammin
Karma Jackpot
Karma Jackpot

I remember when......

Post by benjammin »

i traveled cheap. im talking climbing-a-wall-to-save-six-euro-to-see-the-inner-castle cheap.

CK.

I remember when......

Post by CK. »

Yo Z, man those were the days, we didnt think twice bout sticking our thumb out for a ride... I usually hitched with a friend. Harder to get a ride but much safer. Seems like there were fewer sociopaths in the 80s but mebbe they werent as bold as they are today :???:

Cant travel any cheaper than that.

And i remember when i was old enough to comment bout "I remember when"

Jolly Roger
good karma
good karma

I remember when......

Post by Jolly Roger »

twilson wrote:>> and (shitty) Jax beer was $.95/six pack.

The happiest day of my fathers life was when he discovered Bohack beer for 69 cents a six pack around 1967. That was when budweiser was going for 1.25 a six-pack.

Bohack was a NY based supermarket chain. They have been out of business probably close to 30 years .
My parents only drank the WORST beer in the World - Brown Derby from Spaceway. It was also a memorable .69/six. Upside for them was that it was so nasty we kids would not touch it. :puke:
Thank God for Beer, Football, and Women :pirate:

nobodyknew
Karma Jackpot
Karma Jackpot
Custom Title: Intangibles Inc.
Has bestowed Karma : 8 times
Received Karma : 6 times

I remember when......

Post by nobodyknew »

I remember when ""home-grown"" was a term of contempt - and for good reason..... :)
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime,somewhere someone said to themselves
"You know - I really want to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." George Carlin R.I.P

Cric

I remember when......

Post by Cric »

nobodyknew wrote:I remember when ""home-grown"" was a term of contempt - and for good reason..... :)

haha too true! homegrown used to be a bad word, lol!!

i remember when i didn't know the difference between upload and download!