My Sincere Apologies To A Generous Person's Generous Offer.

After enjoying the fruits of your labors, we all need a place to chill. This is that place. Totally senseless irrelevant banter encouraged.
WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: Turbine Powered Toker
Has bestowed Karma : 521 times
Received Karma : 217 times

Post by WhiteHotAfterburner »

On my trip back from Texas a meeting was planned. I won't say with who. I won't say what the meeting was for. The individual is free to respond here IF they have a mind to.

My departure from the 1924 Schoolhouse was delayed by about 3 hours due to my trailer safety chain not coming off as it normally would. I had to cut the carabiners off the hitch. I had carabiners because a person I loaned the trailer some time ago somehow flattened the stock hooks on the safety chains. I was going to replace the chain but whoever owned it before me had welded them in place :crazy:. My AWESOME SIL helped me get the trailer off the car :tup: She's a real peach :smoke:!

After we freed my vehicle from the trailer I was stuck in a soggy backyard. It's my trailer but my brother uses it. It is actually loaned out to him. I was going to park it where they park it. I got stuck.

I had an appointment at U-Haul in Texas for 9AM. When I got around the area I found a place to park. I tried to get some rest. I got about a 3 hour catnap in my car in the parking lot of a sort of truck stop, at least that's what I thought it was. When I got up there was a full printer paper page with a FINAL WARNING notice taped to my driver side window. I had not received any warning :crazy:

I made sure to arrive at U-Haul on time to pick up the trailer. When I got there it was a laundromat and he was elbows deep in a commercial cloths dryer. And there were two other customers ahead of me.

When I planned to pick up my things my "girlfriend", the girl in Texas, said she wasn't going to be there. When I got to her house I started planning to load the machines and some other things I had there. Garage type items, a box full of pictures, a large fruit crate full of my brothers albums (he left them behind during a move of is own. I have had them for easily more than 20 years. He knows I have them. They're his albums. I only saved him from a rash decision. While there is some great vinyl in there, I don't want them. They're not mine. I've been packing them around for more than two decades for him even though he has said I can have them. I know how much he really cherished them.). (I have had a thought of getting a turntable and give'm a spin! :tup: :grin:)

I planned to put an eye-bolt in the ceiling of her garage and using the block&tackle I bought to raise the dust collector here at the schoolhouse I'd lift them and swing them into the trailer.

I looked around and I didn't see my ladder I let her borrow. I was there to pick up the rest of the things I had there. My ladder wasn't there. I messaged her and she said she'd be there soon, she was at an Estate Sale. She messaged me and asked if I had a trailer. I told her I did. She asked if I could meet her at the estate sale and help her with a washer and dryer she had bought. I told her I would. How could I not.

Knowing I had a scheduled meeting, I told her I'd help her. I couldn't not help her. That's not how my brain works. I had to help her. I help people that need help.

It was a 25 minute drive to where she was. I loaded her washer and dryer into my trailer. When we got back to her house - another 30 hour drive (road work or a crash detoured us on the return) she asked if I could help her change them out. Her old washer and dryer was still in there location in the house. Still hooked up. I removed the old washer and dryer and she wanted them in a particular place in the garage, up on a raise level on the back wall. I swapped out the hoses from one to the other. The hoses on the new washer and dryer were braided stainless steel hoses. Very nice washer hoses. A foot on the dryer had fallen off some how. I fixed that. I moved her washer and dryer into place and hooked them up.

Then I had to load my things still. We discussed different options. She tried to lift her end of the Delta 13-1/8" Thickness Planer (it must be 300lbs). She was not able to lift it. While we discussed other options I noticed a truck in the neighbors driveway that wasn't there earlier. A neighbor that I helped repair his Jeep months ago. Good guy! I asked if she could contact him and see if he would help. He said he would. We got it done, but that thing is just a beast. It has to be at least 300lbs, or more. The Grizzly G0452 6" Jointer was just as difficult. It is awkward to carry and it's top heavy. We got it loaded and I strapped it all down (not well enough, obviously :roll:.

By the time I got done I messaged this friend. About 6 hours after I had planned to leave. They were rightly put out. I completely understand.

When I did finally leave I messaged them and let them know what was going on. They suggested we do it the next day. In between this time I was on the road. I knew I needed gas when I left that girl's house. I headed out intending to get gas and get moving. Google maps detoured me again. They sent me out on what turned out to be a turn pike (toll road) I have never been on. I thought, okay, I'll get some gas down this road. Man, there wasn't anything anywhere within view in the dozen or so miles I drove on it. I thought to myself "Who the hell drives out here and why? There isn't anything here. Where the hell do they get gas?" About that time I started losing acceleration. I was running out of gas. The next sign I saw, Exit 444 on TX45 at Webberville road. I made it to the exit ramp and I was losing acceleration again and was sure I was out of gas.

I was right here out of gas... https://www.google.com/maps/place/30%C2 ... -97.603657" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Screenshot_2021-02-09 Google Maps.png
TX45 Webbervile Rd. 0001 02052021.jpg
Luckily I added Roadside Assistance to my U-Haul contract. I called them. They said they'd be out in about 45 minutes. It took longer than 45 minutes.

Before I could respond to their suggestion that we meet the following day they responded to my message telling me the meeting was off. They explained all the hard work they had done trying to help me.

I completely understand why they were bent out of shape. I completely understand.

During this time, thinking we could still meet the next day, I knew I was exhausted. I had planned that IF they agreed to meet the next day I'd push on and sleep in my car on that end of the trip. About this time that girl offered to put me up for the night and feed me dinner. I had only had that 3 hour nap in at strange parking lot in the previous 30 or so hours. I accepted the offer.

While I'm waiting I mapped out how to get back to her house and I see there is a Valero gas station across the underpass on Webberville Rd. I very nearly made it but didn't. Road assist was coming so I waited.

I apologized profusely and asked that they reconsider. I never heard back from them.

I messaged them again that I understood completely their angst. They were rightly upset. I messaged them informing them I was going to message them one last time that next morning when I got on the road. Am I going to the Springfield, MO area or to their location.

I never heard back.

On my drive back to MO, my car started acting up. The "Service Engine Soon" light started flashing. The car wasn't running right. It was seriously acting up. I kept going. For the next 100 miles or so I was analyzing the problem in this overripe melon on my shoulders.

I concluded that I must have sucked something up into the fuel system when I ran it out of gas. It wasn't the transmission. It must be fuel related.

I pulled into a convenience store parking lot and after I watched a video on where the fuel filter was on my care, I got under the hood. I similar situation had happened before. That time it turned out the be a essentially blocked air passage in front of he throttle body. The MAF (Mass Air Filter) was fouled out. I checked the air filter. It was a little dirty. Not so much that I'd think it was the problem. I checked the MAF. It too was a little dirty. Not so much as I thought that would be a problem. I bought some very expensive Fuel System Cleaner.

I then found a automotive parts store where I was, Muskogee, Oklahoma. I called the O'Reilly's there and asked if they had a fuel filter for my car, just so in case I did have to change it out I would have one at the ready.
Texas Trip Fuel Filter 0001 02092021.jpg
Texas Trip Fuel Filter 0002 02092021.jpg
Texas Trip Fuel Filter 0003 02092021.jpg
I'm envisioning myself on the ground under my car in very cold weather, with some drizzly rain. That seemed to do the trick. I think it was the Fuel System Cleaner that cleared things up. Power was back.

I get back on the road pleased with myself that is seems that I had remedied whatever the problem was.

I get back on I44 and wouldn't you know it, Google maps was telling me something was wrong ahead. It said there was a crash ahead, the East bound lanes were closed, and the drive would be delayed 9 minutes.

Google maps messages me again, due the the crash ahead, the East and West bound lanes were closed, the drive would be delayed 14 minutes.

I'm driving forward and I'm not making any time on the clock, I'm losing time... :roflmao:

Then Google messaged me again and told me he road ahead, I44 was closed in both directions due to the crash, and it was detouring more AGAIN.

When I left of this trip I knew there was weather coming. I knew I had a certain window to get it done to avoid the weather.

I had been driving through the drizzly/rainy weather I mentioned above. I'm thinking the crash must have been weather related and I'm driving straight into it in a vehicle I equate to an Ice Skate in Winter weather. I'm thinking the worst and I'm heading for it. I am quite familiar what weather can do to I44. I've seen the news, the pictures, the videos of just straight-up devastation.

This detour took me way out into the boonies for about 30 miles. Nearing the end of that detour Google maps tells me there was a faster route back to I44. I accepted it and it mapped me back to I44. A detour from the detour :roflmao:.

When I finally got near the Schoolhouse, the "city" about 20 miles away from the schoolhouse, I stopped at Walmart to pick up some things. There parking lot wasn't snowed in but there was more snow than my car prefers. I get my things and slide out the parking lot heading back to the schoolhouse. It is tight, rolling, twisty roads. It's 55mph for the most part, except for those twists and turns, up hill and down hill, in Winter.

I for the most part drove about 25mph to 30mph. The road looked bad from my perspective in the drivers seat. I didn't get out to look, but it had me concerned. This is my only running vehicle. Not only do I not want to wreck it, I couldn't wreck it. Crawling along I came upon a downhill 90° turn. I lost traction. I was able to make it through that but then started driving even more slowly and carefully. I knew I had to climb some rolling hills on this drive. I'd accelerate on the approach and hope I made it to the top without losing traction and therefore control. After several more miles of this torturous drive I finally made it back. As I near the schoolhouse, driving slowing up and down rolling hills pulling a trailer the "Service Engine Soon" light began flashing again. I'm hoping it was just the lugging the car around that caused it this time. I haven't tried to diagnose it, yet - I will have to.

A 10:36 (apprx) drive took me about 17 hours, straight through without any rest or food.

Dude, I understand you were put out. I understand I am the one that caused you to be put out.

I have accepted full blame and apologized several times.

I am falling on my sword here, my friend. I am doing this publicly.

I had a most fraught-filled trip of my own.

I need your help. I want your help.

I implore you to reconsider. Let me make it up to you.

I apologize for causing you any angst. It's all my fault. I apologize for screwing this up. I am wholeheartedly sorry.

Your friend,
WHAB

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

I was very apprehensive about returning the U-Haul trailer today - it was scheduled to be returned today. I was very concerned because of the road conditions when I was last on it.

Worse weather is heading this way, I hear.

It's not the driving through snow that concerns me. I have driven in snow plenty of times. One trip, in my 1994 Jeep Cherokee, I drove 19 hours straight - with the snow storm starting at Flagstaff, Arizona and through Albuquerque, New Mexico - over untraveled Interstate (I was plowing through the new snow (8 or 9 inches, from memory) - cutting my own path. The other drivers smartly got off the road - I did not :roflmao:) IN a Blizzard, with my only way to safely stay on the roadway were those tiny white squares on 4 foot(?) posts lining the shoulder of the Interstate IN a Blizzard. I had thousands and thousands and thousands of white dots coming at me becoming more visible as they hit the beam of my headlights and slamming against my windshield and had to navigate using tiny white dots on the shoulder about 20 feet over to the side of the roadway. At one point - once daylight hit and I was in a city with other cars on the road, I stupidly tried to pass slower vehicles using the barely used and more dangerous left lane. I wound up seeing the back end of my trailer in my driver-side window :roflmao:. It was crazy. I escaped any damage to my vehicle or the responsible drivers driving along with me :roflmao:. It was a 4x4. This Ice Skate is the opposite of sure footed on slick road surface and I know it.

This trip was uneventful. The roads were in excellent condition there and back. My extreme concern was unwarranted. That's just a sign of my understanding of the Ice Skate I drive :roflmao:

I was figuring out alternatives to making the trip in my Ice Skate. I even called ahead and asked that IF the road conditions were not suitable to my Ice Skate's ability to make the trip can I get an excuse to return it another day. They said I'd have to call Corporate :roflmao: I did not take that avenue...

I 'may' at times overthink things, it turns out :winky: :grin:

***Whew!***

:grin:,
WHAB

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

The relationship has been restored!!! :tup: They're a very good person! :tup:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :tup:

I could not be more thankful. :tup:

It was my bad! :frown:

***Whew!***

:rollitiup:.
WHAB

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Just to make it clear, this was not about things. This was about a relationship.

I don't spoil relationships (Well, most of the time. The girlie in Texas would argue that point :grin:. I've known her since I was 14 or 15. We're on great terms today! Relationship restored. :tup:)

I value greatly every relationship I have and have made in this amazing community. Not a single one would have a single negative thing to say about me regarding this area of interest.

I was regretful to have spoiled this one.

Thankful!

:smoke:,
WHAB

Roots

My Sincere Apologies To A Generous Person's Generous Off

Post by Roots »

That’s about 10x longer than anything I’ve wrote in my life.
Last edited by Roots on Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roots

Post by Roots »

Well there was this one time I had to write 5000 sentences for farting in class if I wanted to go on the end of the year field trip.

Roots

Post by Roots »

...it was only like like 50 sentences per fart, but it was multiple farts and it doubled for every week I didn’t turn them in.

Roots

Post by Roots »

I’m guessing there was really less than 3000 when I was numbering like this

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Roots wrote:That’s about 10x longer than anything I’ve wrote in my life.
I get your point.

I am of a mind that full details are required in most interactive exchanges. Lay out all the facts and they can be referred to at later time IF needed.

Take care, Roots! :toker1:

:smoke:,
WHAB

Roots

Post by Roots »

Then I got caught stealing on the field trip and I owed more sentences.