Gimme the Good Earth III

After enjoying the fruits of your labors, we all need a place to chill. This is that place. Totally senseless irrelevant banter encouraged.
Jesús Malverde
Site Moderator
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: Munchy Sock since OG lol
Has bestowed Karma : 71 times
Received Karma : 131 times

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by Jesús Malverde »

Thanks for the tag along, that's some beautiful country to walk.
One for the rook

One for the crow

One to rot

and one to grow

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Has bestowed Karma : 1794 times
Received Karma : 1578 times

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by Intrinsic »

Day 2

Pics of the country I'm traveling through. Area was logged for timber, about 50 or more years ago. And on top of that a fire went through here around 10 years ago.

Mourning
Day2 00.JPG
Day2 00.JPG (179.19 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
The black rock example of a lava flow frozen and fractured littering the landscape
Day2 03.JPG
Looking back at Burney Peak, ya can almost see the lookout tower.
Day2 04.JPG
Thousand Lake peaks to the west. I'm not heading there.
Day2 05.JPG
Day2 05.JPG (229.74 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
Day2 02.JPG
Note, i'm inside Lassen National Forest on private leased land and i have every right to pass without their permission.
Day2 01.JPG
Clear cutting is bad practice abandoned by the Forest Service decades ago as non-sustainable resource management. But still used on private owned forestland, as being more profitable in the short term.

Notice the "Sustainable Forest Initiative" is a euphemism for clear cutting. :roll: The very thing the idiot politicians are currently using as an excuse with all the big wildfires we are having (global warming) to Clear Cut down our trees for quick profit and screw future generations.
The Forest Service wouldn't do it. So now we have the complete misnomer of "Sustainable" Forest Initiative from the ignorant greedy congress/timber-lobby to force 'em to mismanage it. Idiots.

So if you hear the healthy or sustainable forest this is what they mean. healthy forest = no trees = big timber profits.
Last edited by Intrinsic on Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by Intrinsic »

Lots of bear sign around. Heard quite a few too. Skittish and didn't see any today.
Bear poop ya can see he has a diet in heavy pine nuts.
Day2 Bear1.JPG
And a paw print. Must be a big one.
Day2 Bear2.JPG
\
Day2 solar1.JPG
Set up the solar panel for the first time. Gonna keep the headlamp, camera, kindle, ipod and phone charged.
Day2 solar2.JPG
Day2 solar2.JPG (185.83 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
Pulling a half an amp at the USB protocol of 5.2 volts, 2.5 watts!. She'll pull up to .7 amps (3.5 watts).
Off the grid and loving it. Yay Baby!! :toker1:

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by Intrinsic »

Wild Flowers!

Labiatae, penstemon, two different yellow asters and ceanothus.
Day2 Flower1.JPG
Day2 Flower2.JPG
Day2 Flower2.JPG (226 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
Day2 Flower 4.JPG
Day2 Flower5.JPG
Day2 Flowe31.JPG
And Mint. Both abundant and beautifully fragrant when disturbed. Like spearmint.
Day2 Flower6.JPG
Day2 Flower7.JPG
if anyone recognize the common names of any these flowers, chime in.

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by Intrinsic »

Cornaz Spring.
I asked Lookout Fred if the spring was flowing he said there was still some water in it. Hell water is water so i let it go at that.
My first glimpse of the Cornaz spring. Just a hole in the ground, Stagnant water, Not cool.
Day3 CornazSpr.JPG
But it had thriving life in it. So not toxic. Little bugs I call Oar Bugs. They seem to have no legs just two oars for paddling around. I've seen these guys before, don't know anything else about 'em. Fascinating to watch.
Day3 bug.JPG
Day3 bug.JPG (7.22 KiB) Viewed 1368 times
The water came out clear in the cup. Tasted ok, so drank it. I figured if clear there is an underground flow here. Not stagnant. Ate lunch and tanked up with enough water for the rest of the day and camp.
Day3 CornazSpr 2.JPG
Don't know what it is? Something in the mint family, Purty.
Day3 Mint.JPG
The "trail" and scenery. Walking the road. Saw all of three people today, all in pickup trucks. The first two zipped past me dusting me good. The last guy was going slower not raising dust which I thanked him, a nice old timer.
Day3 1.JPG
Day3 2.JPG

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by Intrinsic »

Camped early, the blisters were howling. By the end of the day every step was followed by an "Ouch". Time to rest. This ain't no marathon. Fortunately today was the worst of it.
Day3 Camp.JPG
Day3 Camp.JPG (218.25 KiB) Viewed 1367 times
View from camp.

Purple Lilac, Indian Paint Brush and an previously unknown white Lily.
Day3 Lylac.JPG
Day3 Indian Paint brush.JPG
Day3 Lily.JPG
Day3 Hat valley.JPG
Next day dropped into Hat Valley, Stopped at the Hat Creek Work Center and chatted up the hot shot fire crew stationed there. They gave me updated info on locally fires. Nothing of consequence yet. They also filled up my canteens with ice and water. Very cool since the temp was in the 90's!
Day3 peg board.JPG
I regret not getting a picture of them, good people. But here is pic of the crew's work out peg board. Ya use pegs and just yer arms to climb up then down. Same thing we use for arm strengthening in rock climbing.

Oldjoints

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by Oldjoints »

Very cool, thanks for sharing.
Your “oar bug” is called a water boatman so you were damn close.

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by Intrinsic »

Thanks Oldjoints.

To continue my story I'll need to talk about the
Pacific Crest Trail. (PCT)

The PCT will be part of my hike for about 50 days out of the 112 days.
It is a National Scenic Trail. It runs from the Mexican border to the Canadian border though California, Oregon and Washington, 2650 miles long. It is estimated currently1800 attempt to walk the length in one year. And I estimate 600 finish. People all over the world come here to hike the PCT. Many more hike just sections of it, as I'm doing now.
FWIW I walked it end to end way back in '74, one the first to do so.
What Wiki has to say : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Crest_Trail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Anything else ya want to know about the PCT just ask me, i'm a better expert then wiki.

After Leaving the fire crew it was hot hump on an asphalt road for 8 miles. Climbed up on the Hat Creek Rim and to the PCT,
Last of road walking for a little while, Mt Lassen in background.
Hat Rim 1.JPG
"Loner", a fellow hiker whom been out a couple months walking the PCT started at Ashland Oregon, south bound like me. Most PCTers are north bound.
Hat Rim 2.JPG
The trail register, on the right side you can see the baggie of weed left for other hikers.
Hat Rim 3.JPG

bentech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: eye the witch Melancholy
Has bestowed Karma : 33 times
Received Karma : 28 times

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by bentech »

you hiked the ENTIRE pacific crest trail???
"we must strive to become good ancestors" nader
https://www.myplanetganja.com/viewforum.php?f=48
FUCK jimmydorecomedy.com

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by Intrinsic »

Hat Rim sign.JPG
Spent the night there and next day hit the PCT. A Real trail! And what a beautiful trail it is, a gorgeous day and lots of wildflowers. Yay Baby!
Hat Rim trail1.JPG
Hat Rim trail2.JPG
Hat Rim observatory.JPG
View back across Hat Valley where I came from, Burney peak on the right side.
In the middle of the pic notice the white compound of buildings. It is a radio observatory for SETI search. Hat valley is a naturally protected area free from radio interference, perfect for radio astronomy, Since It was near my route yesterday, I stopped and chatted up one the grad students working there, pretty cool and a story in it self.

Looking north and Lassen Peak.
Hat Rim  view.JPG
Wild flowers lining the trail. Woo-hoo!
Hat Rim flower1.JPG
Hat Rim flower2.JPG
Hat Rim flower3.JPG