Gimme the Good Earth III

After enjoying the fruits of your labors, we all need a place to chill. This is that place. Totally senseless irrelevant banter encouraged.
Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Has bestowed Karma : 1751 times
Received Karma : 1537 times

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by Intrinsic »

Oldjoints wrote:Are you satisfied with your choice of solar panel? I am interested in something of this nature
to take with me when camping.
That backpack looks damn heavy for a long trek....
Yeah i'm real happy with my solar panel. I bought it from a fasttech for 20 bucks. It weighs 4.5 ounces. (the same as most battery banks) with the volt/amp meter it was 5.5 ounces. Complete with cables, camera charger and doodads, it's 8 ounces,
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/100 ... fect-solar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note it's practical in-field wattage is 3.5W.

It work flawlessly, even after getting some nasty scratches on it. it's durability was a strong point for hiking.
I recommend it! It still working at home keeping my phone charged, never plugged the phone in a wall socket, ever. which i find so coool!

Ah ya noticed, Yep that is an awful heavy pack( i'm too old for this shit), this is a party hike for me, with all the xtras, Camera, ereader, music and all the electronics, a frame pack for comfort in camp and on the trail, separate day pack for the numerous day hikes i have planned (such as mnt Lassen.), camp shoes and whatnots. it adds up. :grin:
but the size is needed for the food for a few of my longer stretches of 10 days and longer.

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by Intrinsic »

Ahh I forgot to mention the first bear sighting. It was the Night after coming off Lassen, a small male black bear came into my camp right at dusk, apparently I dozed off, a long day, and woke when I heard a twig snap, sat up fast, he seemed as surprised as me, left quickly and never returned. Hardly worth mentioning..
A bear canister would have been a complete waste. Good thing I didn't have one. :grin:

Snag Lake has this huge lava flow named the Fantastic Lave Beds on it's northern end, It's over 2 miles long as the crow flies.
Day11 Snag 01.JPG
Day11 Snag 02.JPG
And on the other end is Butte Lake, it and Snag were once one lake and the basalt flow cut 'em in two. Unique.
Day11 Snag 03.JPG
Day11 Snag 04.JPG
At camp this deer wander awful close. I thought she was mooching for food, but she was just after the salt in my piss where I took a leak. She ate it all.
Day11 Snag 05.JPG

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by Intrinsic »

Next day the trail followed the edge of the lave bed.
Day11 Snag 06.JPG
Day11 Snag 07.JPG
Crazy ass rock for climbing on, will cut you up!
But colorfully aesthetic.

Looking over at Lassen westward.
Day11 Snag 08.JPG
Pumice fields. Really hard to walk on, worst than walking on beach sand.
Day11 Snag 09.JPG
Cinder Cone across the pumice beds.
Day11 Snag 10.JPG

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by Intrinsic »

"A nobler want of man is served by nature, namely, the love of Beauty.

First, the simple perception of natural forms is a delight. The influence of the forms and actions in nature, is so needful to man, that, in its lowest functions, it seems to lie on the confines of commodity and beauty. To the body and mind, which have been cramped by noxious work or company, nature is medicinal and restores their tone. The tradesman, the attorney comes out of the din and craft of the street, and sees the sky and the woods, and is a man again. In their eternal calm, he finds himself. The health of the eye seems to demand a horizon. We are never tired, so long as we can see far enough."

~ Excerpt from Nature by Emerson.

Dropped the pack and took a day hike up the tourist trail up Cinder Cone.
CinderCone 01.JPG
Frustrating trail. Ever step forward slides ya back 2 steps.
CinderCone 02.Jpg
CinderCone 03.Jpg
But the views!! "We are never tired, so long as we can see far enough." Indeed Mr. Emerson.
The top and the Crater.
CinderCone 04.Jpg

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by Intrinsic »

Snag Lake to the south where I camped last night
CinderCone 05.Jpg
CinderCone 06.Jpg
And Butte lake north of me. They're split in half by the big ass lava flow.

Painted dunes below me.
CinderCone 07.Jpg
CinderCone 07.Jpg (152.05 KiB) Viewed 1089 times
Cinder Cone rim and Lassen in the distance
CinderCone 08.Jpg
"the simple perception of natural forms is a delight"
More delight, Sulfur Flower.
CinderCone 09.Jpg

And the smiling faces immersed in nature and beauty,
CinderCone 10.Jpg
Doesn't hurt the ride's for free.

bentech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: eye the witch Melancholy
Has bestowed Karma : 33 times
Received Karma : 28 times

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by bentech »

that's some relatively recent volcanic activitys remains

These flows, called the Fantastic Lava Beds, spread northeast and southwest, and dammed creeks, first creating Snag Lake on the south and then Butte Lake to the north. Butte Lake is fed by water from Snag Lake seeping through the lava beds. Nobles Emigrant Trail goes around Snag Lake and follows the edge of the lava beds.
Its age has been controversial since the 1870s, when many people thought it was only a few decades old. Later, the cone and associated lava flows were thought to have formed about 1700 or during a 300-year- long series of eruptions ending in 1851. Recent studies by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) scientists, working in cooperation with the National Park Service to better understand volcanic hazards in the Lassen area, have firmly established that Cinder Cone was formed during two eruptions that occurred in the 1650s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinder_Co ... _Lava_Beds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"we must strive to become good ancestors" nader
https://www.myplanetganja.com/viewforum.php?f=48
FUCK jimmydorecomedy.com

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by Intrinsic »

^^ Cool Ben, thanks for that.

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by Intrinsic »

Walking around Butte Lake, Cinder Cone to the left and Lassen to the right.
Day13 01.JPG
Day13 01.JPG (111.85 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
Butte Lake with the lava flow terminating into islands.
Day13 02.JPG
Yet another pic of Butte lake, Lassen, Cinder Cone and geese sunning on an island awful close to shore.
Day13 03.JPG
Back on the trail..
Day13 04.JPG

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by Intrinsic »

Day13 05.JPG
Left the Park for a while and entered Caribou Wilderness. Nope, there were no Caribou (raindeer) there.
If they were here in the past or what no one I asked knew or why it was called Caribou Wilderness.

Caribou was filled with lakes,
Some large, surprisingly deep,
Day13 06.JPG
Others mostly shallow ponds filling with grasses and lily pads.
Day13 07.JPG
Lunch break and solar charging on Triangle Lake, one of the larger ones, Took a long swim,
Day13 09.JPG
Day13 09.JPG (543.71 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
I only meet one other hiker all day, a women just out for a week, kicked backed pencil sketching the one of the scenic ponds. It was a beautiful encounter, two people sharing the solitude of the wilderness. As ironic as that seems. Made my day!
Day13 08.JPG
Carpets of Lupine.

bentech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: eye the witch Melancholy
Has bestowed Karma : 33 times
Received Karma : 28 times

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by bentech »

caribou wilderness - more bears than people is the word...

The terrain is a volcanic plateau with 75% covered by water and conifer forests and the remainder being barren rock such as cliff faces, talus slopes and cinder cones. Most of this area has been preserved since 1932 which makes the Caribou Wilderness one of the few remaining pristine forests of the California Cascade region.

caribou wilderness - more bears than people is the word... [34 photos ]
https://www.sfgate.com/outdoors/article ... o-10553613" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A Harrowing Journey into the Haunted Caribou Wilderness
http://activenorcal.net/outdoors/a-harr ... ilderness/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"we must strive to become good ancestors" nader
https://www.myplanetganja.com/viewforum.php?f=48
FUCK jimmydorecomedy.com