Gimme the Good Earth III

After enjoying the fruits of your labors, we all need a place to chill. This is that place. Totally senseless irrelevant banter encouraged.
bentech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: eye the witch Melancholy
Has bestowed Karma : 33 times
Received Karma : 28 times

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by bentech »

had a bad run in with terrorist rangers years back
asshole them was

since they made you come in did you take the time to tell the judge what kinda agents he had working for him this time???
"we must strive to become good ancestors" nader
https://www.myplanetganja.com/viewforum.php?f=48
FUCK jimmydorecomedy.com

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Has bestowed Karma : 1794 times
Received Karma : 1578 times

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by Intrinsic »

Naw. the judge was a federal magistrate. sees low level cases and arraignment for larger ones. No chance to plead my case.

The rangers said they would be there in court. when i said they both didn't need to be there. the head dickwad vowed up and down he'd be there. nether was. Lying pigs. they sent a little girl as "counsel for the government" instead. The fine normally was 200$ plus 30$ filing fee. i sweet talked the "counsel" down to 100$. a new bear canister cost is about 90$. so kinda of deal for me in saving the unneeded weight

What was interesting tho, there were several Cannibals cultivation cases on fed land. Magistrate gave rather lenient fines. just couple thousand dollars and no time served. what a change 30 years ago ... federal cultivation was for sure ass-fuck prison! One dude was transporting 6 pounds and got a 500$ fine. easy operating cost.

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by Intrinsic »

The pre-Start Rush.
BurneyPeak0.JPG
This blurry pic of last-minute-the-night-before packing the pack, the supply boxes, maps, ect .. all the planning and still a chaotic mourning. But finally made it out the door with my Brother and a road trip to northern Cali. :woohoo:

The real Start.
Burney Peak lookout.
BurneyPeak1.JPG
BurneyPeak2.JPG
BurneyPeak2.JPG (293.94 KiB) Viewed 2098 times

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by Intrinsic »

Fred, who gave me a tour of how to sight and triangulate a willdfire, manned the lookout. This is a big timber industry here and quick wildfire suppression is taken seriously.
BurneyPeak3.JPG
\
Fred with Lassen peak in the background
BurneyPeak4.JPG
Line sight the fire and then triangulate the location form another lookout post from the pull down map
BurneyPeak5.JPG
Fred was quite a character, eager for company and talked intensively about the area I was abut to hike through, local politics and on and on.

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by Intrinsic »

Views from the top:

Lassen peak south where I’m heading.
BurneyPeak6.JPG
Shasta peak north.
BurneyPeak7.JPG
Windy as hell on top. Finally shouldered the pack and hit the trail .. or road in this case.
BurneyPeak8.JPG
BurneyPeak9.JPG
On my way … June 23 day one .

bentech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by bentech »

sweet!
FUCK jimmydorecomedy.com

Jesús Malverde
Site Moderator
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: Munchy Sock since OG lol
Has bestowed Karma : 71 times
Received Karma : 131 times

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by Jesús Malverde »

These hike reports are my favorite thing that's been on MPG the past couple of years. Really looking forward to the trail tales. Thanks for sharing your adventures!
One for the rook

One for the crow

One to rot

and one to grow

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by Intrinsic »

The pics from this trip by and large won't be in spectacular country as my last trip in the High Sierra. Perhaps boring as pictures go. Even the story is just a what-I-did-this-summer thing. My main daily goal was to get into camp early and read. Kind of boring as a story goes too. Not to say it wasn't a great trip, it was, heck I read 28 books in 90 days, all sci-fi, plus sampled Emerson's poems and Thoreau's ramblings. And one cowboy romance novel I picked up on the way.

I want to share, so thanks Hax, Ben, roots,Lrus, ripper and Dill for the encouragement to continue with this ego stroking' journal as the MPG Dos XX man. Even tho I'm jes a tree hugging nerd.

That said the first day hiking off Burney peak was full off spectacular views.

Day 1
The long winding road down, ya can see my bro's blue truck leaving me father behind. He left a stash of home baked cookies and water next to a gate a few miles down the road. Super Cool!
BurneySpring 01.JPG
The rock here is volcanic. Burney peak is essentially just a big pile of basalt flows and resulting rubble.
Volcanic rock amongst the brushy manzanita and Shasta in background.
BurneySpring 02.JPG
Basalt flow, my trail and Lassen peak in background.
BurneySpring 03.JPG
BurneySpring 03.JPG (156.56 KiB) Viewed 1817 times
Wind farms north of me, near the town of Burney. Those windmills are huge, the blades are the length of a 747 wing span. (hope I got that right)
BurneySpring 04.JPG
Made it down to the cool forest in the afternoon; with all its beautiful little distractions.
BurneySpring 05.JPG
Delicate little Mimulas flowers.
BurneySpring 06.JPG
tiny butterfly briefly resting on me
BurneySpring 07.JPG
BurneySpring 07.JPG (62.66 KiB) Viewed 1817 times

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by Intrinsic »

Made it to Burney Springs for camp. Yeah I know everything around here is Burney something or other.

Lush green meadow next to my camp. Yep, there are plenty of mosquitoes buzzing about. They do go way when it gets dark, so not too bad. Nevertheless I brought plenty of DEET, this still being still June.
BurneySpring 08.JPG
BurneySpring 08.JPG (173.26 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
Burney Springs, enclosed in a fence to protect it from animals mucking it up.
Damn good cold water.
BurneySpring 0a.JPG
I left a nearly a quarter pound of my buds in the baggie for the next visitors to this really cool spot with it's nice benches and clear spring. Was planning on leaving it on the top of Burney peak but since it was manned by Fred whom I assumed didn't toked up, at least not while being on lookout 24/7. So I left it here instead. Felt really good.
I also fill up some old pill bottles and later small baggies of weed to pass along to fellow hikers or left 'em at trail registers all along the way.
BurneySpring 10.JPG
BurneySpring 11.JPG
Starting on top of a peak with downhill walking the first day seemed like a good idea … but with my fresh virgin pink feet being pounded from a heavy pack landing hard on 'em with every step downward, not so much. I could seriously feel hot spots on the BOTTOM of my feet by camp time. I expected blisters on the heel area or toes, those can be quickly amended with tape or moleskin. But the bottom of the feet sucks.
Ok not such a good idea, live and learn.

Yet a great first day. I smoked the bowel of the contented.
BurneySpring 13.JPG
View from camp after kicking back and toking.

bentech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Gimme the Good Earth III

Post by bentech »

93 meters...

http://www.walbridge.com/project/patter ... burney-ca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FUCK jimmydorecomedy.com