Bees & Cannabis

After enjoying the fruits of your labors, we all need a place to chill. This is that place. Totally senseless irrelevant banter encouraged.
Chester
Stackin' Karma Yo
Stackin' Karma Yo
Custom Title: Busy Mus musculus

Bees & Cannabis

Post by Chester »

Hey Ben,

Yes, unfortunately I have. Varroa Destructor is the bane of keeping bees these days. Fortunately I am in a rural, non-agricultural area, and there is plenty of pesticide-free bee pasture and I've been spreading sweet clover seed in the utility right-of-ways for years.

The mites got ahead of me last summer and I lost a half-dozen huge hives this winter (a mild winter that should have had zero casualties). I lost none 2014-15 and that was a tough winter. My bad for thinking I was on top of handling the mites. I was just 2-3 weeks late with a formic acid treatment last summer. I try to treat for mites without miticides as those leave residues in the wax. Some of the natural treatments include: Hops Beta Acid, Formic Acid and Oxalic Acid. The varroa infestation weakened the bees raised as fall "winter bees" and the fate of those hives was sealed in August.

@Prawn, I've never considered that. Honey is an anti-bacterial, anti-fungal brew. The pH is acidic as well. I have no idea what happens to cannaboids in that environment. Tho I have a pretty good idea about how to test that :grin: I have lots of "green dragon" on hand and would need to evaporate the ethanol out of a test quantity first.

Then there is the issue of how long is a reasonable test of cannaboids surviving the honey environment.

3 months? 6 months? Longer? Still, experiments can be fun. So, easy answer is make 12 test batches and test one a month :fly:

:smoke:
If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal.
If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative.
If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate.
If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. :facepalm:

— Joe Sobran (1946–2010)

LAW - The tool used by government to control it's citizens (current US definition)

bentech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: eye the witch Melancholy
Has bestowed Karma : 33 times
Received Karma : 28 times

Bees & Cannabis

Post by bentech »

does a collapsing hive raise several queens?
"we must strive to become good ancestors" nader
https://www.myplanetganja.com/viewforum.php?f=48
FUCK jimmydorecomedy.com

Chester
Stackin' Karma Yo
Stackin' Karma Yo

Bees & Cannabis

Post by Chester »

A healthy hive ready to reproduce or swarm will raise dozens and swarm queens are the best.

A collapsing hive may. If queen is failing they will attempt to replace her and do hedge their bets. Some strains (primorsky or "russian") will tend to be starting replacements all the time. It seem only virgin queens fight to the death. Mother & daughter queens are often seen in same hive doing their job. i.e. secreting pheromones to keep the worker bees content and functioning as the hive ovaries.

When the pheromones get out of whack (pesticides possibly influence this) or egglaying becomes erratic, the queen is replaced pronto. Survival is at stake, so off with her head if she isn't performing. Mother nature is a royal bitch.

A hundred years ago, there were documented cases of marked queens "performing" for 4-7 years. Today, they are lucky to make the 2 years. Industrial agriculture has left it's mark.

If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. :facepalm:

— Joe Sobran (1946–2010)

LAW - The tool used by government to control it's citizens (current US definition)

bentech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Bees & Cannabis

Post by bentech »

how do you deal with frames that are only partially honey filled?
FUCK jimmydorecomedy.com

MadMoonMan
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: nOT-a-BoT
Has bestowed Karma : 15 times
Received Karma : 231 times

Bees & Cannabis

Post by MadMoonMan »

That one guy comments "sounds so much for healthful for bees and humans than....watching them go hyper-insane raiding 'soft' drink can caches out of dumpsters."

I'm not sure what way to interpret that passing thought.

Where'd my joint go?
Just because I can't spell misanthrope doesn't mean I'm completely stupid.

MadMoonMan
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: nOT-a-BoT
Has bestowed Karma : 15 times
Received Karma : 231 times

Bees & Cannabis

Post by MadMoonMan »

I used to get a lot of bees and butterflys trapped in my greenhouses.
The big wasps or hornets obviously not there for the pollen. Just happened to tack a wrong exit of tail wind 33 and whoop.. SLAM .. WHO PUT THIS NOT QUITE INVISIBLE BARRIER IN MY WAY? HOW THE HELL DO i GET out of here. Calm down you got in there must be a way out.
Just because I can't spell misanthrope doesn't mean I'm completely stupid.

bentech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Bees & Cannabis

Post by bentech »

Researchers in United Kingdom have found that certain plants actually produce caffeine to attract bees and help in pollination.

http://www.albanydailystar.com/science/ ... 10832.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FUCK jimmydorecomedy.com

Chester
Stackin' Karma Yo
Stackin' Karma Yo

Bees & Cannabis

Post by Chester »

Hey Ben,

Partials are usually left for winter feed. Tho, so long as the honey is capped, it's good to harvest. It's the open cells of nectar that you want to avoid. When they cap it, it's good for long term storage.

And that's another issue with the flow hive. Without opening the hive up, you have no idea if you are harvesting cured honey or raw nectar. At least you don't know at the time. You'll figure it out soon enough when the stuff starts to either ferment, or mold.

Caffeine would certainly attract me :grin:

— Joe Sobran (1946–2010)

bentech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Bees & Cannabis

Post by bentech »

ok
so the mechanics are just bugging me
and so are the flow hive people