bonsai. i got one !!!

The perfect place to talk fruits and veggies.
dill786

bonsai. i got one !!!

Post by dill786 »

its a japanese "deshojo" red maple... anyone know anything about bonsai ???? i got pair of pruning scissors and some nutrients for it... lol

Last edited by dill786 on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A Bloke Down The Pub
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: Shaman to the Gentry

bonsai. i got one !!!

Post by A Bloke Down The Pub »

Yeah. It's difficult and it takes ages. :toker1:

dill786

bonsai. i got one !!!

Post by dill786 »

this is already 9 years old... maybe just water a little, prune when i see that i should and keep near windowsill.. how difficult can it be lol ?

A Bloke Down The Pub
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: Shaman to the Gentry

bonsai. i got one !!!

Post by A Bloke Down The Pub »

dill786 wrote: how difficult can it be lol ?
I think the difficulty is not in keeping it small, but making it look exactly like a full-sized tree.
Training the branches in just the right way, and making it produce tiny little leaves are where the artistry comes in.

Give it another 30 years and you should have a good tree. :tup: :p

I tried it as a youth, with a Maidenhair Fern grown from seed, but I got fed up with it after a couple of years (probably sooner... I can't really remember).

Cat Jockey
Stackin' Karma Yo
Stackin' Karma Yo
Custom Title: nOT-a-BoT

bonsai. i got one !!!

Post by Cat Jockey »

Learn the ways of the Bonsai young grasshopper and watch your digity dank flourish and grow ever more full and finer.

Want a good primer on bonsai trees? Dig up OT1's Bonsai Mums tutorial and go over to HC (but don't get comfy over there - way too much behind the scenes drama and some real jackasses that have been posting there for years), go to the Great Hall of Threads or some shit like that, get into the pruning section and read Delta 420's thread about LST. He transfers alot of bonsai principles and gives you some places to start researching.

Hit up Sweet Lady Jane info for bonsai techniques. Many have used the plant reactions induced by bonsai techniques to increase yield and OT1's tutorial is a pretty good primer to get the concepts of pruning and root pruning going. In may travels as an underground farmer, I have bonsaid mums for years, keeping them at the same size, health, etc. MJ grows FAST. If you have a mother, create a bonsai mum. You will learn a shitpotful about bonsai from doing this to MJ as you can see the results so quickly versus waiting for a tree to grow.

Read + bonsai MJ mum = nice looking bonsai tree in a year or 5.
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothing can beat teamwork.

-Seldom Seen Smith

~Burnt-Bottom~
Karma Jackpot
Karma Jackpot
Custom Title: the invidulator

bonsai. i got one !!!

Post by ~Burnt-Bottom~ »

dill786 wrote:this is already 9 years old... maybe just water a little, prune when i see that i should and keep near windowsill.. how difficult can it be lol ?
might be better to start with a 27+ year old tree,,,it will cost more but is more satidfying to own and look after etc and youll def want to keep the (less interesting) 9 yo for another decade or so :winky: