what you gonna grow for this season !!!

The perfect place to talk fruits and veggies.
dill786

Post by dill786 »

New season is approaching soon,
ill be growing

brussel sprouts
garden peas
aubergines
courgettes
chillis
radish
cilantro
mint
corn

in my flower bed ill be growing lots of diff kind of fragrant flower ( day and evening scent)

nictonia
gardenia
laurentias
clematis
lillies

jesus

Post by jesus »

No tomatoes?

I will have tomatoes, chiles, sweet peppers, zucchini and pole/green/string beans (not sure if you have the same name for these).

Got well over 100lbs of tomatoes last year in a 3x16 area. The space is 6x16 but I had peppers, carrots, zucchini in it too.

I always love your legal gardening.

Peace.
Last edited by jesus on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Merry
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: land

Post by Merry »

The first thing I'm going to do is work some poop and compost into my garden.. something I'm ashamed to say I've never done before... I've been reading alot about how to proceed but I'm still not sure of the amounts of each to use.. I was actually thinking of mixing top soil in as well... any ideas on how to make my soil good again would be helpful.. I have a 35 gallon can of compost ready to go but I know I need more than that to make the soil good again...
It's all about the red sole.....

jesus

Post by jesus »

I dump lots of maple leaves on my garden in the fall and whatever compost I have done or not. Cuz I fill that up with dead leaves too. All winter I have been tossing banana peels etc into it too. Till it all in the spring. Three years of this and it just keeps getting better. Toss all the grass from your first couple lawn mowings in there too.

You wants more specifics you need to be. Type of soil, how big an area etc.

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: Turbine Powered Toker
Has bestowed Karma : 521 times
Received Karma : 217 times

Post by WhiteHotAfterburner »

Merry wrote:The first thing I'm going to do is work some poop and compost into my garden.. something I'm ashamed to say I've never done before... I've been reading alot about how to proceed but I'm still not sure of the amounts of each to use.. I was actually thinking of mixing top soil in as well... any ideas on how to make my soil good again would be helpful.. I have a 35 gallon can of compost ready to go but I know I need more than that to make the soil good again...
I google searched this term "rehabilitating soil for gardening" and found a site that you may find very interesting. I scanned the page and found several articles directly related to the subject...

http://www.urbansustainableliving.com/s ... sting.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:puffpass:

:wave: Merry!,
WHAB

dill786

Post by dill786 »

i make my own compost, but it takes a while for me coz i live alone, kitchen waste, leafs twigs, paper etc... no meat or bones coz it attracts predators, you have to layer it all like lasgane and keep adding to it and airing out once every 2 weeks and in 3 months u have usable compost ;)

dill786

Post by dill786 »

jesus wrote:No tomatoes?

I will have tomatoes, chiles, sweet peppers, zucchini and pole/green/string beans (not sure if you have the same name for these).

Got well over 100lbs of tomatoes last year in a 3x16 area. The space is 6x16 but I had peppers, carrots, zucchini in it too.

I always love your legal gardening.

Peace.

thanks bro...

Never have any luck with tomatoes man !!! by the time they are green and just abut to ripen its mid September and they never fully ripen on the vine.. its a lot of work with no gain at the end...

Merry
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: land

Post by Merry »

Thanks Whab... I have a small garden about 15 feet by 6 feet wide... the compost has been going for around 2 years so it's either good or ruined I have no idea until I dump it... My lettuce has done great over the past 3 years but my other veggies are terrible... my house was built in the 90's.. before that it was woods... so when I first started my garden things were great for a few years but then I guess I depleted the soil for whatever minerals things like tomatoes and peppers thrive on because I can not get anything to grow... they just look pitiful, try to throw some fruit and then they give up and die... I'm guessing that lettuce doesn't need alot of what I don't have because I have great results with various types of leaf lettuce... I also can't grow zucchini.. it does well until it sets flowers and then I may get 1 zucchini before the whole plants wilts and disappears into the ground... it's very weird.. same with cucumbers... it makes me crazy...
It's all about the red sole.....

jesus

Post by jesus »

you cant really ruin compost, just throw it in the garden and till it in early spring, it will finish composting

if you have woods that arent pine you have browns and greens for composting and or tilling into your garden, just in diff seasons

might want to grab a few scoops of that forest soil also to reinvigorate the beneficial soil biology

dill786

Post by dill786 »

i got some packs of flower seeds and some herb packs today :)