Karma Hippie
Has bestowed Karma : 1794 times
Received Karma : 1578 times

MORE Act ~ remove cannabis from Controlled Substances Act

Post by Intrinsic »

Cannabis Trade Federation switches focus from STATES to MORE Act

By NATALIE FERTIG
10/09/2020 03:43 PM EDT

Major industry group Cannabis Trade Federation says it‘s pouring its lobbying muscle into pushing for the MORE Act — which would remove cannabis from the Controlled Substances Act and expunge some records.

The focus represents a shift after years of being one of the strongest voices in favor of the STATES Act, a bill that would not change cannabis' federal legal status but would give states that legalize more protections.

CTF Board member Christian Sederberg said during a Zoom call on Thursday that the group’s support for the STATES Act has waned as the political reality has changed.

“The STATES Act focus really shifted back when the MORE act moved to the front and center,” Sederberg said.

"The STATES Act ... was a very interesting coming-together of what I believe are very different viewpoints," he added, noting it was introduced in this Congress by Republican Sen. Cory Gardner (Colo.) and Democratic Sen. Elizabeth Warren (Mass.). "But it was never a perfect piece of legislation or solution."

What’s the background? CTF was one of the earliest cannabis industry organizations to have a strong Washington-based lobbying presence, initially under the name New Federalism Fund. They began lobbying for the STATES Act during the 115th Congress, working hard to build bipartisan support for that bill.

When Democrats took over the House in 2019, it seemed that the STATES Act would have a stronger chance of moving. But it quickly became clear that Democrats wanted to move a different bill that fully removed federal penalties rather than just one which protected state-legal markets, and the STATES Act gave way for the bolder and more comprehensive MORE Act.

CTF has gone through a lot of changes in the last year, including the departure of CEO Neal Levine — who stepped down in March.

Sederberg on Thursday said CTF is now completely focused on the MORE Act. There are a number of Republicans who support the STATES Act — like Reps. Matt Gaetz (Fla.) and Tom McClintock (Calif.) — who are now supporting the MORE Act as well.

"Right now, our goal is just to try to get as many people behind the MORE Act as possible," Sederberg said.

What’s next? There is currently a vote planned on the MORE Act in the House during the lame duck session after the Nov. 3 election.

https://www.politico.com/states/califor ... ct-1323024" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ripper5
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 2187 times
Received Karma : 1607 times

Post by ripper5 »

That way they could take it off the DOT drug test. Too late for me though. They finally got me.. after 26 years of randoms. Don't know what I'm going to do now...that was my only bread and butter. I'm doing Uber Eats in the meantime.

I wanna be a bud tender. :woohoo:

ripper5
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by ripper5 »

Figure worst case scenario I've got enough time to do at least one more grow before foreclosure. So...Nirvana cheapies on the way...Ice & Bubbalicious regulars... sent for now waiting...

Jesús Malverde
Site Moderator
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: Munchy Sock since OG lol
Has bestowed Karma : 71 times
Received Karma : 131 times

Post by Jesús Malverde »

If they take away your legit job for a bullshit THC+, you gotta do what you gotta do. Any employer still testing for cannabis is fucking stupid anyway.
One for the rook

One for the crow

One to rot

and one to grow

ripper5
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by ripper5 »

I agree it is bullshit. It was DOT so it follows you. You can't be hired elsewhere within the industry. In order to regain a CDL, you have to get evaluated where they will determine how much addiction counseling to force you into..that you will have to pay for & will last for a month or two. Plus you have to piss clean before they let you back. Then you will be under increased scrutiny & more frequent randoms. On top of all that, the industry is moving toward hair testing, in opposition to the current trends.

Fuck all that, I'm done. Survived that shit going all the way back to 84, just a couple of years after it became a thing. If I had known the extent of their militency in trapping you before letting you know what's up, I'd a beat them once again.

Rather than being terminated, one should get a huge bonus as well as a "piss test exemption card" after a decade, let alone three. Never caused anyone to need so much as a bandaid, but this overrides that.

So... I'm running Uber eats delivery in the meantime. Now I can be more open for my love of ganja, and maybe even get a med card if I can ever afford one. :volcano:

Jesús Malverde
Site Moderator
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: Munchy Sock since OG lol
Has bestowed Karma : 71 times
Received Karma : 131 times

Post by Jesús Malverde »

I don't know where you are, but here's hoping your state will go legal rec. It's a whole new world. We've gotta get the feds on board too though, a cannabis + should not limit anyone's employment opportunities.
One for the rook

One for the crow

One to rot

and one to grow

ripper5
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by ripper5 »

Jesús Malverde wrote:I don't know where you are, but here's hoping your state will go legal rec. It's a whole new world. We've gotta get the feds on board too though, a cannabis + should not limit anyone's employment opportunities.
It's decriminalized & medical dispensaries around here. A friend was just telling me about how he just crosses from here over the district line into DC and they basically pull up and meet ya somewhere all legal like.

My predicament is DOT which is federal mandate. Maybe in a couple of years they'll do the right thing and deschedule and remove it from the test. I'm not holding my breath though. Theyve been bipartisan moving in the opposite direction of that though what with their efforts to include hair testing as a legitimate DOT option. 30 years safe driving trumped with a piss test. Society believes so strongly in the effectiveness of drug testing that it's likely to remain a thing.