Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Has bestowed Karma : 1751 times
Received Karma : 1535 times

Portland

Post by Intrinsic »

Yes you totally misread. 100%. You took every factual and personal observation and turn it into an irrational criticism of trump. :fubird: talk about transference

I should have been more eloquent, be like rsin - concise.

Duh
systemic problem. Stating the obvious.

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Portland

Post by Intrinsic »

In what Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler dubbed both an “egregious overreaction” and an "urban warfare" tactic, federal authorities subjected the mayor to tear gas Wednesday night in their indiscriminate use of violence and scare tactics. “I’m not going to lie—it stings; it’s hard to breathe,” Wheeler told a New York Times journalist. “And I can tell you with 100 percent honesty, I saw nothing which provoked this response. It's nasty stuff. I'm not afraid, but I am pissed off.”

Wheeler, who has bumped heads with protesters critical of the city police’s crowd control tactics, said “a lot of these people hate my guts” but they were united in wanting federal authorities gone. He had said in a Twitter thread earlier Wednesday that he “was made aware of concerns within the community that federal agents may be authorized to use live ammunition on demonstrators this evening.”

“Given the deployment of federal agents to other American cities and the clear escalation of the federal government, this information was alarming,” Wheeler added. “I have spoken with the U.S. Attorney of Oregon, Billy Williams, who assures me that the federal government has no plans to use live ammunition on Portlanders tonight, and that such an order would be unlawful. Nevertheless, I am sharing this information publicly out of an abundance of caution. If you plan to demonstrate tonight, please be safe.”

The mayor has hardly been the only person subjected to the federal government’s violence. When a federal law enforcement officer hit a Portland history professor in the head with an impact munition, she said she refused to let it stop her or to divert attention from Black people killed every day because of police brutality. Maureen Healy, chairwoman of the history department at Lewis & Clark College, marched Monday with other protesters singing songs and chants and listing the names of Black people killed at the hands of police, just as she has done most nights since June, she said in a statement released on Twitter Wednesday.

Standing in a public place amid about a thousand other protesters, Healy said she wasn't damaging property or going beyond the realm of a peaceful protest. She had even taken part in a moment of silence in front of a George Floyd mural. "So why did federal troops shoot me in the head Monday night?" Healy asked. She ventured a guess—“to extinguish these peaceful protests.”

The educator said it didn’t dawn on her until after she suffered the effects of tear gas and was in an emergency room that her government did this to her. "My own government,” she said. “I was not shot by a random person in the street. A federal law enforcement officer pulled a trigger that sent an impact munition into my head."

Volunteer medics rushed her into a van, bandaged her head and drove her several blocks from the violence, at which point her family took her to the emergency room. Healy said what happened to her is “nothing compared to what happens to Black citizens at the hands of law enforcement, mostly local police, every day.”

“And that is why we have been marching. That is why I will continue to march," she added.

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Portland

Post by Intrinsic »

U.S. Attorney of Oregon, Billy Williams, who assures me that the federal government has no plans to use live ammunitionon on demonstrators this evening.
This implies there exists plans to use live ammunition if not tonight.

This is violation of the First Amendment.
The Second amendment is there to protect the First.

Why turn it into a shooting war with the most heavily armed nation in the world. Why indeed.

This administration is calling the constitutionally literate American people to Arms???

Guess we don't got to worry about the election now.

This is somebody's plan.

There's a publicly-available book in the US military Library, downloadable by anybody, everybody goes through ROTC reads it. It described what to do and how this will play out. So far has predicted events of the last seven days to a T. The manual says they're doing everything wrong. Predicted this outcome. Years of military science predictes on this course you've lost to the Insurgency. Offers no option how to get out of it at this point

Sitting on a fence, that's a dangerous course
you can even catch a bullet from the peacekeeping force.

~Mark Knopfler

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Portland

Post by Intrinsic »

What if you knew her
And found her dead on the ground
How can you run when you know?

this summer I hear the drumming
Four dead in Ohio

Four dead in Ohio
Four dead in Ohio
Four dead in Ohio
Four dead in Ohio
Four dead in Ohio
Four dead in Ohio
Four dead in Ohio
Four dead in Ohio
Four dead in Ohio
Four dead in Ohio

There was a time in my life we removed presidents for this. Unanimously.
And said never again.

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 1317 times
Received Karma : 921 times

Portland

Post by Butcher Bob »

Intrinsic wrote:You took every factual and personal observation and turn it into an irrational criticism of trump.
I am quite grateful for the observation...even the identification of the problem at hand...
...we still entrust police with the resources, political power and legitimacy to use violence as a behavior modification tool.
...but who exactly is "we"?...because I certainly didn't support any of that shit.

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Portland

Post by Intrinsic »

A Bend journalist spends a night in Portland during Black Lives Matter demonstrations, and tear gassings

by Nicole Vulcan
July 23, 2020

You can smell what's ahead before anything else.

A slight whiff of pepper—or perhaps more like the scent of RoundUp, left in an enclosed shed over the summer. Next is the boom of a crowd chanting: "Enough is enough. Enough is enough...."

And then the loudspeakers, on this night, announcing that Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler was in attendance; the people speaking before and after him reminding the crowd that the point of all this, even as federal troops introduced more chaos into protests this past week, was to remember that Black Lives Matter—that this was about putting an end to the profiling and killing of black people at the hands of law enforcement.

On Wednesday, I drove to Portland to document the evolving clashes between federal troops and protestors who have staged demonstrations in front of the Multnomah County Justice Center and the Mark O. Hatfield Federal Courthouse for nearly two months. Last week, President Trump deployed troops with the Department of Homeland Security to the city, where they've reportedly rounded up bystanders, gassed medics and even stuffed some protesters into unmarked vehicles, according to The Washington Post.

In response, a group of mothers, calling themselves the Wall of Moms, has been attending the protests, standing between troops and Black Lives Matter protesters. The Wall of Moms Facebook group had over 9,000 members when I went to the page Wednesday morning to learn more about them. By the time of this writing, it has jumped to over 13,000—six days after its creation.

As a Bendite and former Portlander who's attended and covered many downtown Portland demonstrations, I wanted to see the action, appearing more violent than any I'd witnessed in the city first-hand. Walking up to the scene, the smell of smoke and something slightly peppery, plus the roar of the helicopters circling above and the sounds of people chanting, woke up any sluggishness I might have been feeling from the long drive from Bend.

I walked into the area around the federal courthouse and the Justice Center just as Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler, to many jeers from the crowd, was talking. Wheeler, who oversees the Portland Police Bureau, has faced much criticism for allowing PPB officers to use tear gas and other violent tactics against protesters during earlier clashes.

As speeches fizzled at the Justice Center (and the guys Wheeler left with took the microphone and speakers with them) demonstrators began to move again toward the courthouse, just north of the Justice Center. Some stood against the barricade, shaking it and calling "Feds Go Home."

y this time, the crowd, some of whom have spent many nights clashing with police—and now federal troops—began to warn that the tear gas was coming. Intermittently, a recorded warning, announcing that 'this is an illegal demonstration,' played from the courthouse building. Fireworks shot from the crowd toward the courthouse with loud bangs. Smoke from the fires and fireworks billowed around. 

When the tear gas started, I was down the block, trying to find the location of Riot Ribs, the free barbecue stand started by Lorenzo, a former Black Panther. He set up the free food stand (donations encouraged), for demonstrators, and has been a mainstay of the Portland protests—even getting a boost Wednesday from Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR3), who donated and encouraged his constituents to do the same, Willamette Week reported.

I came around the corner in time to find people coughing and crying from the gas. I walked through it for a while, grabbing a photo or two as medics handed out eye wash, but eventually succumbed to a coughing fit. I was wearing a cloth mask made by my mom. My goggle game, however, was a bit stronger; living in Bend, a quality ski helmet and pair of goggles is practically handed out as part of the Bend starter kit. My eyes barely teared up.

Mayor Wheeler was still downtown, and, wearing scienc-y goggles and a surgical mask, reportedly stood near the front of the line, against the barricade at Hatfield courthouse, when troops released the canisters. 

After Wheeler left, Portland Police declared the scene a riot, telling everyone to leave, and according to OPB, face "arrest, citation or riot control agents." (Those riot control agents still can include tear gas.)

Throughout the night, the police—and even federal troops'—presence was minimal. A statement from Portland Police July 17, indicative of its policy toward current protests, states that police will "remain clear of peaceful protests and demonstrations but will respond if people light fires, barricade doors to the Justice Center, commit acts placing community members or public employees at grave risk of injury or interfere with the ability for public employees to conduct necessary functions of jobs in the Justice Center or other acts placing people at grave risk of injury."

Meanwhile, the current clashes with federal troops could be coming to an end. By way of temporary restraining order, U.S. District Judge Michael H. Simon temporarily restrained the use of force by federal troops in Portland, OPB reported Thursday afternoon.

Earlier Thursday, a group of Oregon state senators and representatives—on the heels of similar moves by Oregon's Washington, D.C. delegation—delivered a letter to Attorney General William Barr and Chad Wolf, acting head of the Department of Homeland Security, calling for the federal troops to leave Oregon. None of Central Oregon's state legislators signed the letter.

Will it spell a slowdown of clashes and activity in downtown Portland?

As some speakers at the demonstrations pointed out, if it does, they hoped it put the focus back on Black Lives. 

https://m.bendsource.com/bend/a-night-i ... d=12877285" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

img_0027.jpg
"Wall of Moms" members wear yellow, and stand on the front lines between Black Lives Matter protesters and law enforcement—though on this night, federal troops made only spare appearances. A federal judge blocked the further use of force by federal officers Thursday afternoon, OPB reported

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Portland

Post by Intrinsic »

~3:20
President Trump called Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler “pathetic” after the Oregon politician was gassed by federal troops while standing among protesters outside a courthouse.

“He made a fool out of himself. He wanted to be among the people, so he went into the crowd and they knocked the hell out of him,” Trump said during a prime-time performance with Sean Hannity on Fox News Thursday. “That was the end of him. So that was pretty pathetic.”

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nation ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God

Portland

Post by Butcher Bob »

"...Detriot is having problems..." ... "...we have to be invited in..."
President Trump

No, Detriot is not having any problems. The police chief and city leadership, in a letter to Trump, stated that they have not had any stores looted or fires set, and they requested Trump not send any federal assistance for protests.

I don't know what other cities across the country are doing, but I do know what Detriot is doing.

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

Portland

Post by Intrinsic »

Sure a lot of tension and talk about it. most police Chiefs saying they'll take them and Governors, mayors saying we won't.

"What would you do?"
Sampling of headlines:

Gov. Jared Polis says he Wants Federal Troops to Stay Out of Colorado, but Colorado won't hesitate to for asks federal police

Oregon lawmakers call for immediate removal of federal officers from Portland

Florida lawmaker urges Gov. DeSantis to keep Trump's 'stormtroopers' out of state

Federal agents could drive 'even further divisions in our city and our country,' says Kansas City mayor

Trump to send federal agents to Milwaukee after Gov. Evers and some Milwaukee officials ask him not to

Police chief pledges 'there are no federal troops coming to Cleveland'; says those brought in will merely assist

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God

Portland

Post by Butcher Bob »

Have seen several videos of the incident with mayor Wheeler.
The only thing I saw that "knocked the hell out of him", was the tear gas.
That shit is a war crime...police shouldn't even have access to it.