whats this whats best to get rid of it

Insect control and prevention, plant diseases, PH issues, nutrient deficiencies and other plant problems. Problems with your plants? Ask here,share advice.
turtle
good karma
good karma

Post by turtle »

Detection:
Check the underside of your leaves and on the stem of the plant for oval, shell or thread-shaped insects. They spend most of their lives stationary on the plant. Protected by a waxy scale which varies in colour from white to brown. A severe infestation will have the appearance of lumpy blisters on the underside of the leaves and on the stem; this will eventually result in the yellowing of affected leaves or fronds and they will drop off. The insects also excrete a sticky honeydew which could attract a black sooty mould.

Control:
Gently remove the scales from the leaves, fronds or stem with a small soft brush, (for tough plants an old toothbrush will suffice) then rinse the plant with clear tepid water containing a little liquid soap (approximately half a teaspoon per 4 litres). For heavy infestations, take the plant into a well ventilated area, preferably outside and spray the plant with an insecticide which is approved for homeowner use in your area. When the spray has dried, rinse the plant with clear tepid water. Repeated applications may be necessary so check regularly for any signs of re-infestation. You can also use a cotton swab dipped in alcohol or use a systemic insecticide. If using a chemical control be very careful to follow label directions exactly.
also known as turtletech
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

turtle
good karma
good karma

Post by turtle »

also check here
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/ ... /scale.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
also known as turtletech
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

vincent vega

Post by vincent vega »

turtle is spot on...I have cycads and they're plagued with scale...to the point of extinction in my state...vollk oil or fish oil is sold to smother them but the alcohol does indeed work, it just takes alot of patience...as they age they lighten in color...you can scrape them off pretty easy but be sure to crunch them and not just toss 'em out...

JapanFreak

Post by JapanFreak »

Yeah, scales.

PGs GossipGrrl™
Karma Whore
Karma Whore

Post by PGs GossipGrrl™ »

JapanFreak wrote:Yeah, scales.
^Thxman :)
After a while, people are just going to ignore it, like I did, like I do most TV commercials.

PGs GossipGrrl™
Karma Whore
Karma Whore

vincent vega wrote:turtle is spot on...I have cycads and they're plagued with scale...to the point of extinction in my state...vollk oil or fish oil is sold to smother them but the alcohol does indeed work, it just takes alot of patience...as they age they lighten in color...you can scrape them off pretty easy but be sure to crunch them and not just toss 'em out...
my friend has a bunch of rare cycads, to the point, even though his front patio is 50ft above street level, accessed by steep stairway; someone who knew what they were ripped his rarest. Protected in Mexico, can't get it now. He's never had a scale problem I know of, but has scale and other problems on hundreds of plants in his garden.

As UB would say, Malathion is ur friend :p
After a while, people are just going to ignore it, like I did, like I do most TV commercials.

PGs GossipGrrl™
Karma Whore
Karma Whore

FullySikMate wrote:That first pic in that link looked like them

Strange thing to get on indoor plants isnt it ?
^Not really, orchid growers who have greenhouses or grown orchid outdoors are often plagued by both hard-shell and a soft-shell variant called Bois du Val. You either need to use a systemic (I wouldn't on something I'm combusting/vaping), or drench orchids in a bath of Malathion to try to rid your orchids of this menace. I've tried on my mother's orchid collection, always they manage to evade eradication :(. fukers hide underneath the nearly waterproof sheath of the rhyzomes, only to rapidity attack undersides of leaves within days after you think you killed them all.

Those are in ur pix, a type of hard shell scale, quite common outdoors. I get them on the blackberry canes in some years; really anywhere ants can colonize them in a symbiotic relationship. Pyrethrin will probably kill them, better to use Rotenone-Pyrethrin blend for synergistic effect, PBO is more common as syngergistic agent but PBO (Pipernybutaoxide) is a suspected carcinogen.

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/roten ... thrin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but if that fails, nukeum with Malathion (always test any new insecticide on a younger growth to see if the plants are sensitive, I severely damaged raspberry leaves that way :( )

vincent vega

Post by vincent vega »

I've tried malathion on my cycads and the scale just laughs at me...even heard flea spray does the job...it kills the scale and the host also...canola oil with pyrethrins does better than most but nothing works well, they all are mostly ineffective...I sit with cigar in mouth and crunch 'em and they're gone...until next season

nobodyknew
Karma Jackpot
Karma Jackpot
Custom Title: Intangibles Inc.
Has bestowed Karma : 8 times
Received Karma : 6 times

Post by nobodyknew »

This should do the job
Attachments
flamethrower.jpg
flamethrower.jpg (128.25 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime,somewhere someone said to themselves
"You know - I really want to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." George Carlin R.I.P