Hermaphrodite issues !!! ???

Insect control and prevention, plant diseases, PH issues, nutrient deficiencies and other plant problems. Problems with your plants? Ask here,share advice.
RaroRangiReturns
some karma
some karma

Post by RaroRangiReturns »

Hi guys/gals,
I have real issues at the moment with Hermaphrodites/ seeds. Last year 3/4 of my grows came out seeded due to Hermaphrodites.
Grow 1 was my first and I stuffed it up on every turn yielding about 4 ounces of seeded crud. Second was nice seedless smoke, I had stressed this out as I was inattentive and allowed the roots to bind a little. They came back well.
3rd I got sick in the middle of and almost had to switch it all off as I was taken to hospital. It came out seeded and I had dealt with fungus gnat during that one. Probably some of the worst smoke I have ever indulged in, ended up cooking most of it to nice results, ( maybe you can make a silk purse out of a sows ear.)
This current grow was the one I held out hope for. I grew it under a scrog and it bloomed well, the tent is full of buds bursting at the seems, BUT...
Yes I snuck a smoke last night and SEEDs :( again.
I tried everything to exclude shock, refrained from trimming shade leaf etc. I also have trouble identifying the Hermaphrodites.
I grow from seed, ( white widow, ) use a 600 w hps in well ventilated tent.
Could it be the seed? Could it be temp?
Please, I need help?

Intrinsic
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Has bestowed Karma : 1751 times
Received Karma : 1535 times

Post by Intrinsic »

It's the seed. Stress can play a factor, but only extreme stress; so not likely. it's their genetics.

And sounding by the quality of smoke. I'd ditch that line altogether. Pick a better vendor/source.
I bought some hash plant from Gypsy and it was horrible greasy smoke and did the same thing you describe above, went hermie seeding everything with unusable seeds. restarted with making my own seeds with line from mandala seeds and good bag seed.

Anyway sorry to hear it, got keep on truckin'

Jesús Malverde
Site Moderator
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: Munchy Sock since OG lol
Has bestowed Karma : 70 times
Received Karma : 131 times

Post by Jesús Malverde »

Some of the most potent lines are prone to bananas, which is why they are used, but others have managed to make potent lines without that predisposition. Like intrinsic says, find one, if finding a few seeds is problematic for you. A *few* seeds in my smoke doesn't bother me at all, in fact I rather like it.
One for the rook

One for the crow

One to rot

and one to grow

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 417 times
Received Karma : 511 times

Post by Prawn Connery »

Were all the hermy grows from the same seed stock/line? I'm assuming you didn't grow out the first lot of hermy seeds . . .
Licensed to Krill

RaroRangiReturns
some karma
some karma

Post by RaroRangiReturns »

Intrinsic wrote:It's the seed. Stress can play a factor, but only extreme stress; so not likely. it's their genetics.

And sounding by the quality of smoke. I'd ditch that line altogether. Pick a better vendor/source.
I bought some hash plant from Gypsy and it was horrible greasy smoke and did the same thing you describe above, went hermie seeding everything with unusable seeds. restarted with making my own seeds with line from mandala seeds and good bag seed.

Anyway sorry to hear it, got keep on truckin'
Yes I had thought it may be the seed stock, but you know, NEWBY and all that jazz :frown:
Jesús Malverde wrote: A *few* seeds in my smoke doesn't bother me at all, in fact I rather like it.
Yeah I tend to cough far too much on seeds. Waiting for my eyes to blow out of the front of my head from coughing on seeded weeds. The visuals are interesting though.
Prawn Connery wrote:Were all the hermy grows from the same seed stock/line? I'm assuming you didn't grow out the first lot of hermy seeds . . .
Erm, yeah, nah, I mean yeah you assumed wrong. As soon as I read this post I took my palm to my face. I had thought that seed was fine and that it was all down to my inexperience.

So in short thank you for all your answers, I really do appreciate them. I'll start looking for a seed trader and return to the proverbial drawing board.

MadMoonMan
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: nOT-a-BoT
Has bestowed Karma : 15 times
Received Karma : 231 times

Post by MadMoonMan »

I can't said this about all my plants that went hemi seeds did .. Sour Diesel went hermie and its seeds were hermi to.

Butt most hermi plants I've had the seeds weren't hermi. They tended to be female.
Just because I can't spell misanthrope doesn't mean I'm completely stupid.

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by Prawn Connery »

Hermy seeds grow hermy plants. Marijuana 101.
Licensed to Krill

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda

Post by Prawn Connery »

MadMoonMan wrote:I can't said this about all my plants that went hemi seeds did .. Sour Diesel went hermie and its seeds were hermi to.

Butt most hermi plants I've had the seeds weren't hermi. They tended to be female.
All cannabis has the potential to turn hermaphrodite, but genetics will determine how easily it does. Some strains require a lot of stress. Some very little. Some none at all - they will turn when there are no other males around.
Licensed to Krill

raroRangi
needs karma

Post by raroRangi »

I had a lot of fun doing this grow though. Turned out only the 1 plant was full of seed and it made for good baking material. The yield of 730 grams of bud was a true reward. It was the first time I had used a Scrog under 600 hps. I am rather chuffed. New seeds, new grow lets see what I can produce this time. Oh and a new vented hood so maybe I can get it better yet.
Again thanks for all your help guys.

Dick Fein
Karma Jackpot
Karma Jackpot
Custom Title: Wiki Freak

Post by Dick Fein »

I had a few male flowers appear but they were not very fertile because I have only found a couple seeds, but I had something much weirder happen. I took clones of all my mothers and then chopped the mothers. I went in this morning to water the clones and 3 different just rooted clones which were not hermies before were peppered with male flowers. A widow and 2 different amnesia haze. I could have mislabeled one but not three. Could it be the pole shift? Something odd is happening.