Hermaphrodite issues !!! ???

Insect control and prevention, plant diseases, PH issues, nutrient deficiencies and other plant problems. Problems with your plants? Ask here,share advice.
Dick Fein
Karma Jackpot
Karma Jackpot
Custom Title: Wiki Freak

Post by Dick Fein »

I have timers. It was pure laziness. If I see some pollen I might mess around a little with it on my outdoor.

Oldjoints

Post by Oldjoints »

Are you talking about using pollen from hermies? Do you really want to proliferate the hermie trait? The male is very important in the lineage and not a good parent pick if a hermaphrodite. Personally i wouldn’t.

Dick Fein
Karma Jackpot
Karma Jackpot

Post by Dick Fein »

The one plant was flowered twice without any sign of herminess and only after extreme stress did it express that trait so I think it could be good for an outdoor seed crop. I wouldn't try to sell it to anyone or anything like that but as an experiment sure.

Oldjoints

Hermaphrodite issues !!!

Post by Oldjoints »

Well it will produce fem seeds but your yield will suffer from it. If that doesn’t bother you and you just want to play then go for it. Just know that seeds that get produced could have that trait as well. That’s why most reputable seed makers employ chemical methods to produce fem seeds. Have fun......

Prawn Connery
MPG Founder
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Has bestowed Karma : 420 times
Received Karma : 517 times

Post by Prawn Connery »

Entirely up to you, but the easier a plant herms, the less likely I would be to use it.

A build-up of ethylene during the dark period causes plants to flower. Using colloidal silver or giberellic acid inhibits ethylene production which forces a flowering plant to develop male stamens - the techniques used to "self" a plant to produce feminised seeds.

You can see how light leaks and photoperiod now both disrupt ethylene production and that is what causes a plant to herm. That's what we mean by "light stress". It is the reason why it is the dark period - not the light period - that determines flowering cycles.

A plant's ability to continue to produce ethylene, or resist the breakdown of such hormones, is what makes it more or less susceptible to herm. It's obviously genetic.

If you want to use pollen from such a plant, go ahead. But I would never trust the progeny in an indoor growth. That's just me.
Licensed to Krill

Dick Fein
Karma Jackpot
Karma Jackpot

Post by Dick Fein »

I agree 100% with everything you both wrote there and these seeds will be sown directly outside. My only interest would be curiosity.

Oldjoints

Post by Oldjoints »

By all means have fun, hopefully no one around you has plants going as the pollen can travel great distances if conditions are right.