150w HPS Grow

Grow room design, HID, fluoro, reflectors, ventilation, ballasts and wiring.
chillinn
needs karma
Custom Title: 2New2knowIcanChangethis

150w HPS Grow

Post by chillinn »

Hows it going fellas first post here.Im gonna do a closet grow with a 150w hps a friend of mine gave me.I was thinking if maybe i could supplement it with some cfls maybe bought from homedepot or something close to that,kind of on a tight budget =).I'm planning on doing 2 plants at a time starting from clone.Any ideas and advice id appreciate :rollitiup:

FAGjack
Karma Shaman
Karma Shaman
Custom Title: ~Marijuanero~
Has bestowed Karma : 1 time
Received Karma : 1 time

150w HPS Grow

Post by FAGjack »

Make sure you have good ventilation.........

MyronFlorin
Stackin' Karma Yo
Stackin' Karma Yo

150w HPS Grow

Post by MyronFlorin »

^^^ what he said ^^^

Ventilation isn't just to get fresh air to the plants. It also gets heat from the lamp out of the growspace. For that you need to move a lot of air.

Closets are a problem unless you can put big holes for ducts in the walls or door. Just keeping the door open won't work once you start flowering since you need 12 hours uninterrupted dark every day.

I solved the problem by using a grow-cabinet inside an open closet. If I need stealth I just close the closet door.

As for CFLs, yes they can supplement, but the benefits are minor. I get around 125 grams yield from a 150w HPS (0.8 g/w) but adding a 45w CFL only adds maybe 10 grams to the total (0.2 g/w).

If you do use CFLs, get the biggest you can find. You get way more light from one 45w than from three 15w CFLs.

Good luck.

Myron

arb
Karma Whore
Karma Whore
Custom Title: 4/5's tarded
Has bestowed Karma : 119 times
Received Karma : 78 times

150w HPS Grow

Post by arb »

What they said and shoplights are way better imo than cfl's,I use the 4' with t8 bulbs.
I don't think the t5's are werth the money and with the t8's ya can let the plants grow all up in them with minor damage.
Attachments
journal 016.jpg
journal 016.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 5561 times
Vaya con Dios HB

WhiteHotAfterburner
Advanced Grower
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: Turbine Powered Toker
Has bestowed Karma : 521 times
Received Karma : 217 times

150w HPS Grow

Post by WhiteHotAfterburner »

Myron wrote:Closets are a problem unless you can put big holes for ducts in the walls or door.
Or the floor :winky: And, wherever you put vent holes you must consider light bleed. So, light blocks will be required in most instances whether in the wall, the door, or the floor.

If you do vent to an outside/outdoor space through an outer wall or through the floor, take some nylons and cover the holes with the nylons to keep out the bugs. Stretch them over the openings and staple in place. Nylons have small enough holes to keep out most bugs and still allow maximum amount of air to pass through.

Happy growing :bong4:

:puffpass:

:wave:,
WHAB

REGlClDE
good karma
good karma

150w HPS Grow

Post by REGlClDE »

ditto to all the above only i find with 4 t5's 2 blue and 2 red every leaf under then turn to the biggest cabbage leafs i ever saw t5's grow lil bad ass bushes and seems to me with t5's the stalks are much larger in the start to help support all the Huge colas you SHOULD end up with later, cept i would do one plant in a 2 x 2 under 150...justsayin
some say pessimist...i say realist

chillinn
needs karma
Custom Title: 2New2knowIcanChangethis

150w HPS Grow

Post by chillinn »

Thanks for reply folks.i didn't think the heat would be such an issue.I was thinking maybe two big box fans might do the trick?One other question,if grown correctly i can grow dense nuggets with a 150w hps right?My buddies was kind of sparse,I just figured he lacked on the nutes or had the light to far?Again your advice is appreciated :hug:

MadMoonMan
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: nOT-a-BoT
Has bestowed Karma : 15 times
Received Karma : 231 times

150w HPS Grow

Post by MadMoonMan »

I knew a guy that knew this girl had a cousin was of Gypsy descent said she/he/it, sorry just trying to be politically correct. Ms/Miss/Mr/Sir don't want to offend anyone.

anyway, if you grow Sativa tall plants best thing to do is plan to bend them over at about 4 feet. This cousins sisters gay person had a grow under neath some basement stairs. Obviously, the first place DEA is going to look. Nice thing about the air flow problem. He He He.. sorry don't mean to laugh.

The under the stairs grow was right beneath the front door. And when I was invited in as a Marijuana Air Inspection Agent or MAIA as we in the agency call ourselves, pulled the ceiling at night with all lights off inside and turned on the outside porch light? I could see a HUGH "EXPLETIVE DELETED" gap of light. So thats where all the sweet smell of marijuana is coming from when I walk up to the front door.. Doncha love it?

**If your not in a TOP SECTRE underground basement looking up that will make no sense.

*** scope down
Last edited by MadMoonMan on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Just because I can't spell misanthrope doesn't mean I'm completely stupid.

MadMoonMan
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

150w HPS Grow

Post by MadMoonMan »

anyway heat is key

i used a 150 for a long time my early grows in a closet.

beware you can grow big "EXPLETIVE DELEETED" MUNSTERS in a closet beneath the stairs.

ensure no light leaks.......

decide whether to tie them down and train them or

bush them out depending on the plants genetics.

tendencies

look to the future

MadMoonMan
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie

150w HPS Grow

Post by MadMoonMan »

If this is your first grow do the cfls first to vegetate the plants

ok yoda quit channeling me you muppet rag!

"Luke pick up the ship can you. Sigh"