Shrooms and related goodies
Peace Pipe
Kosmic Karma
Kosmic Karma
Custom Title: Electroplasm
Received Karma : 5 times

Thinking of starting my first psilocybe grow

Post by Peace Pipe »

Man it's been ages since my last shroom trip. But I've begun to read up and study how to get a mushroom grow established. I've had one successful outdoor cannabis grow one year, and I've grown many vegetables. But I've never grown fungi of any kind. Time to change things up a bit. :smoke:

Recently I've purchased 6 grams of psilocybe mushrooms; there's lots of dried out spores and debris. I don't know if it is still possible to use dried out spores to begin a grow. Is it possible?

I wouldn't know where else to get spores without ordering online. I'm too paranoid to buy any seeds or spores or anything like that over the internet.
"Intergalactic mind traveling!" -me on acid

Butcher Bob
Karma God
Karma God
Has bestowed Karma : 1332 times
Received Karma : 929 times

Post by Butcher Bob »

I would think they'd work. You kin git spore prints, that are jus a blot of spores where a cap wuz pressed against rough surface paper...they come dry.

jesus

Post by jesus »

Technically you could start from the spores in the bag. Then youd need agar and to know how to xfer mycelium to new agar to get away from the contaminants. I have even seen claims of cloning dried mushrooms, again on agar, and the same contaminants issues though.

shroomery.org has a list of vendors and the best part is that spores are not illegal, in any state that i am aware of....or maybe just a few states, but not federally either.

I have used two of their sponsors/vendors with no problems, ralphsters and the hawks eye. There are plenty more reputable dealers also listed.

I advise you to go there. It's a lot more trouble than its worth to start the way you want, especially when its not the spores that are illegal.

http://www.shroomery.org/sponsors.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Peace, Pipe.

jesus

Post by jesus »

Starting with spore syringes (spores in a sterile water solution) is the easiest way. Even with spore prints youd need agar again and a glove box...etc. Lab-like conditions pretty much.

A Bloke Down The Pub
Karma Bhudda
Karma Bhudda
Custom Title: Shaman to the Gentry

Post by A Bloke Down The Pub »

^^ what they said.

You're VERY unlikely to get a clean grow from random spores from a bag.
It's going to take a lot of work and care to start that way, and I really wouldn't recommend it until you've had some experience and know what you're doing. Otherwise you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I'd recommend getting some fresh spore syringes and using the "PF Tek" growing method.
My thread is around here somewhere, which should give you an idea of what's involved, but I'd recommend some reading at http://www.mycotopia.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.shroomery.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; before you start. :winky:

Peace Pipe
Kosmic Karma
Kosmic Karma
Custom Title: Electroplasm
Received Karma : 5 times

Post by Peace Pipe »

I figured that might be the case. Having a successful first time grow from dried spores found from a bag just seemed a little too good to be true.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, everyone. I'll definitely hit up all those recommendations and do my homework on mushroom growth before I do something insane.

But hey, I got 6 grams of mushies and another weekend to look forward to. :tup:
When I get my things together, I might get a mushroom growlog thread going.
"Intergalactic mind traveling!" -me on acid

ben ttech
MPG Ambassador
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: godisnotwhite.com
Has bestowed Karma : 400 times
Received Karma : 249 times

Post by ben ttech »

agreed, the sterile syringe is so fucking worth it!

they cost like 12 bucks... well worth it.
"disaster is the mother of necessity" rSin

MadMoonMan
Karma Hippie
Karma Hippie
Custom Title: nOT-a-BoT
Has bestowed Karma : 15 times
Received Karma : 231 times

Post by MadMoonMan »

How did that work out for ya? You eat any mushrooms?
Just because I can't spell misanthrope doesn't mean I'm completely stupid.